Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2012 9:51:26 AM EDT
Any suggestions for enhancing the life of utility trailer tires? I have a trailer that, like many, only gets used a handful of times a year. As a result the tires dont seem to last well at all. Generally after about 2-3 years the tires are iffy enough I feel compelled to replace them, a non trivial expense to me.  This last time I had the tires resting on flat concrete blocks and one was  so badly deteriorated that I could see the belts through the cracks in the tread.

Would it help if I just blocked the whole trailer up so the tires weren't touching ground? Some kind of tire preserver?  The tries in question are just cheap passenger car tires if that matters. It's not a heavy duty trailer so I really can't justify high dollar tires.
Link Posted: 5/14/2012 9:59:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I use foam tire cleaner with preservatives in it and then cover the tires with vinyl wheel covers to protect them from the sun.  In my experience the tire covers seem to do the most to slow down the dry rot.
Link Posted: 5/14/2012 11:23:14 AM EDT
[#2]
I haven't used this but have seen it recommended.

http://www.superiorcarcare.net/303-uv-protectant.html

Link Posted: 5/14/2012 11:42:38 AM EDT
[#3]
I see a lot of RV's that are parked for long periods of time with covers over the tires. UV rays will dry rot tires something bad. It might help to get the tires off thr ground as well. Instead of jacking the axles up, rig up something you can back it onto that'll lift the tires.

Something that a friend of mine uses is a 2x6 block with a 45 degree angle cut on one end. He puts the block under the leaf spring shackle where it bolts onto the axle and backs the trailer up. It raises the wheel (he uses it when he needs to change a tire) but you could do something like that maybe.
Link Posted: 5/14/2012 12:00:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Hummm good suggestions all. So covers for the tires, easy. Something to make it simple to raise the tires off the ground, tougher but I think I can do that. Maybe even some uv protectant. Well worth some effort. Dropped just over $200 last week for new tires. So it's worth some effort to get more life for my tires.
Link Posted: 5/14/2012 12:40:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Take the tires off and store them somewhere else?
Link Posted: 5/15/2012 7:32:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Take the tires off and store them somewhere else?

Ideally off, covered and in a climate controlled space.

Or at least off the trailer and in the garage in some black trash bags would be good.
Link Posted: 5/15/2012 4:19:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Right now the idea of lifting the trailer up enough to get the tires off the ground with a HD trash bag over them is sounding like its doable. I really do appreciate the suggestions folks. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/15/2012 5:00:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Right now the idea of lifting the trailer up enough to get the tires off the ground with a HD trash bag over them is sounding like its doable. I really do appreciate the suggestions folks. Thanks.

Seems like a good enough idea, and see no reason why it shouldn't work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top