Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2012 2:50:33 PM EDT
For many years I paid for cable TV and finally last December I had enough of paying for bullshit TV channels and only able to really enjoy a couple of them.  Since then I bought a Roku and enjoy watching what I want on Netflix.  

Fast forward to today I finished building a homemade UHF/VHF antenna while researching the internet and found one on Youtube.

Antenna build

My wife likes watching 'Dancing with the Stars' on ABC so I went ahead to help make her dreams come true.  I purchased a converter box from Radio Shack since I still own an analog TV.  I placed the antenna I built in the attic and connected it to an amplifier that the cable company had previously installed because the contractor they hired to install the coax cable was too small.  

I am now picking up digital TV channels 38 miles away and my wife will be able to watch her favorite TV show tonight.  

I probably should purchase a UHF/VHF amplifier instead of using the amp the cable company installed in my attic but for right now it works and my wife is happy.  

Edit:  I am able to receive 15 HDTV channels as of right now.

Link Posted: 9/24/2012 2:55:07 PM EDT
[#1]
untill they stop broadcasting uhf vhf... :(
Link Posted: 9/24/2012 3:08:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
For many years I paid for cable TV and finally last December I had enough of paying for bullshit TV channels and only able to really enjoy a couple of them.  Since then I bought a Roku and enjoy watching what I want on Netflix.  

Fast forward to today I finished building a homemade UHF/VHF antenna while researching the internet and found one on Youtube.

Antenna build

My wife likes watching 'Dancing with the Stars' on ABC so I went ahead to help make her dreams come true.  I purchased a converter box from Radio Shack since I still own an analog TV.  I placed the antenna I built in the attic and connected it to an amplifier that the cable company had previously installed because the contractor they hired to install the coax cable was too small.  

I am now picking up digital TV channels 38 miles away and my wife will be able to watch her favorite TV show tonight.  

I probably should purchase a UHF/VHF amplifier instead of using the amp the cable company installed in my attic but for right now it works and my wife is happy.  

Edit:  I am able to receive 15 HDTV digital channels with some HD programming as of right now.

FIFY.

We've never had cable, and as soon as I bought a house for the Mrs. I built a 4-bay bowtie antenna out of scrap copper tubing and Romex that the previous owner left behind.  Total out-of-pocket cost was about $4 for the balun.  I mounted it in the attic and ran coax to the basement, where I installed a distribution amp and pulled runs to various places in the house.  Now it's pre-wired for satellite, cable, and OTA antenna.  The one I built almost never drops out, rain, wind, or snow.
Link Posted: 9/24/2012 3:10:48 PM EDT
[#3]
When they broadcast all the ESPN channels, AMC, the military channel, Discovery, History 1 and 2 all in HD OTA, I'll turn off my DirecTV.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2012 3:12:40 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I placed the antenna I built in the attic and connected it to an amplifier that the cable company had previously installed because the contractor they hired to install the coax cable was too small.

What's your problem with little poeple and why would that interfere with your signal.

Link Posted: 9/24/2012 3:13:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I placed the antenna I built in the attic and connected it to an amplifier that the cable company had previously installed because the contractor they hired to install the coax cable was too small.
So what kind of problem did this midget cause that made you have to buy an amplifier?

LOL, beaten while proof-reading
Link Posted: 9/24/2012 3:18:31 PM EDT
[#6]
The amplifier the cable company left behind should boost everything from roughly 50-750mhz by 10-15DB.   As far as I know you should have no reason to purchase a different amplifier.  Unless they installed a return only amplifier.

Over the air signals should stay roughly the same for awhile now.  It took them roughly 20 years to decide to quit broadcasting analog signal.   Any other changes they want to make will take another 20 years the way our Gov. programs run.
Link Posted: 9/24/2012 3:19:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Used to be able to get a couple stations 100 miles away at my parents before the digital crap. Now if its over 50 it doesn't come in. They just have a rooftop antenna with a rotator and an amplifier that was there when they moved in.
Link Posted: 9/24/2012 3:21:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
untill they stop broadcasting uhf vhf... :(

The switch that took place in 2009 was to disconnect the analog signal to make room for more digital signals/channels.
Link Posted: 9/24/2012 3:25:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:

What's your problem with little poeple and why would that interfere with your signal.

I see what you did there.  

My house is built on just over an acre and the coax cable installed from the street to my house was a smaller guage than adequate to carry the signal.  They installed an amplifier to help boost the signal.

Link Posted: 9/24/2012 3:31:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The amplifier the cable company left behind should boost everything from roughly 50-750mhz by 10-15DB.   As far as I know you should have no reason to purchase a different amplifier.  Unless they installed a return only amplifier.

Over the air signals should stay roughly the same for awhile now.  It took them roughly 20 years to decide to quit broadcasting analog signal.   Any other changes they want to make will take another 20 years the way our Gov. programs run.

During my research it was mentioned that a UHF/VHF amp was used and wasn't sure if the amp installed by the cable company was adequate.  It is rated at 7.5 db and the channel that I wanted to receive is coming through great.

Link Posted: 9/24/2012 3:32:06 PM EDT
[#11]
1982 called, and wants it's T.V. back.
Link Posted: 9/24/2012 3:33:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Used to be able to get a couple stations 100 miles away at my parents before the digital crap. Now if its over 50 it doesn't come in. They just have a rooftop antenna with a rotator and an amplifier that was there when they moved in.

Per this website I am able to receive the farthest signals available in Atlanta (38 miles).  Other people who have used this type of antenna with an amp have reported picking up channels as far as 70 miles away.

Edit:  I forgot to add the website which lists the available channels nearest me.

http://antennaweb.org/Stations.aspx?Address=&City=Jenkinsburg&State=GA&ZIP=30234&Housing=S&Accuracy=4&Height=6&Obstructed=False&StationList=&Lat=33.3238254&Lon=-84.043175
Link Posted: 9/24/2012 3:37:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
1982 called, and wants it's T.V. back.

I know  

I've never been one to keep up with technology because it can get expensive.

Link Posted: 9/24/2012 3:38:04 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm just about ready to put one up.
Link Posted: 9/24/2012 3:39:53 PM EDT
[#15]
I dropped cable a couple of years ago for over the air HD. I watch alot of TV, between netflix streaming, online streaming, and over the air content Im fully occupied. Takes some getting used to, but worth it if you need to save a few bucks.
Link Posted: 9/24/2012 3:40:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm just about ready to put one up.

That's cool, let us know how it works out for you.

Link Posted: 9/24/2012 3:44:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I dropped cable a couple of years ago for over the air HD. I watch alot of TV, between netflix streaming, online streaming, and over the air content Im fully occupied. Takes some getting used to, but worth it if you need to save a few bucks.

This was my intention as well.  We become so accustomed to the norm that we just pay the bill every month without really thinking about it.  I just asked myself what cable really provided to me and discovered that paying for commercials and re-runs every day didn't cut it.

I realize Netflix doesn't offer newer movies but their TV content is enormous and I've enjoyed watching episode after episode of popular TV shows.
Link Posted: 9/24/2012 3:53:32 PM EDT
[#18]
OP, what do you use for an internet connection ?

And what's a Roku ?
Link Posted: 9/24/2012 3:54:26 PM EDT
[#19]
I've never had cable. We have Netflix and use Vudu. Bought one of those flat, square box antennas and it works well enough to get most of the stations around here. I'd like something better but I'm too lazy to fish coax through my wall and cramped attic and I don't want to spend money on snake oil.

As for HD content, the major networks broadcast primarily in HD, though it's usually 1080i. Also, the Fox station here did something I think was pretty smart; they broadcast at 1080 on their -1 channel and in 480 on their -2 channel. NBC and CBS use their -2 channel for weather and ABC uses it for some hippie outdoor channel.
Link Posted: 9/24/2012 3:55:32 PM EDT
[#20]
AMC isn't broadcast.

Until it is, I'm paying for cable.

Gotta watch Hell on Wheels.
Link Posted: 9/24/2012 4:04:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Fuck that I record 10-15 shows a day on my Hopper and no way in hell would 4 fucking stations do me.  Disclaimer :  I live so far fucking out no broadcast signals are available and out of the 5 major networks we only have 4 in our local area and only one broadcasts local news reports......  I have 6 DVR's so until I can get DSL or better out in BFE so I can run a roku then I'm a staying with satellite.........
Link Posted: 9/24/2012 4:07:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Op, that's all well and good if you live within range of a TV station.
Link Posted: 9/24/2012 4:08:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
OP, what do you use for an internet connection ?

And what's a Roku ?

I have ATT DSL for my internet.

Roku is a device that streams internet over your TV where as you can view Netflix.  I paid a one time fee of $50 for my Roku player and only pay $7.99 a month compared to $80 a month for my cable TV.

Link Posted: 9/24/2012 4:09:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
AMC isn't broadcast.

Until it is, I'm paying for cable.

Gotta watch Hell on Wheels.

Hell on wheels is awesome.  Finished the first season on Netflix. Badass.
Link Posted: 9/24/2012 4:11:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I've never had cable. We have Netflix and use Vudu. Bought one of those flat, square box antennas and it works well enough to get most of the stations around here. I'd like something better but I'm too lazy to fish coax through my wall and cramped attic and I don't want to spend money on snake oil.

As for HD content, the major networks broadcast primarily in HD, though it's usually 1080i. Also, the Fox station here did something I think was pretty smart; they broadcast at 1080 on their -1 channel and in 480 on their -2 channel. NBC and CBS use their -2 channel for weather and ABC uses it for some hippie outdoor channel.

Well, the cable company had previously installed the amplifier in my attic and my other coax cables were already there.  I placed my antenna in the attic, connected to the amplifier which runs to my main TV.

Link Posted: 9/24/2012 4:14:39 PM EDT
[#26]
I use SAT and OTA,    I ended up getting a channel master rooftop antenna,  it works great,  I ran 320QR for an antenna lead.   5 of the towers are about a mile away LOS,  the other two are about 15miles LOS.     I managed to get all of them,  even a low power analog channel

Link Posted: 9/24/2012 4:20:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I live near the Henry/Butts county border which place me 36-38 miles away from the nearest HDTV broadcast antennas.  Plug your zip code into the website I hot linked and see how far the nearest stations are to you.

Try this website out Larry to determine what is nearest to you.

http://antennaweb.org/Stations.aspx?Address=&City=Jenkinsburg&State=GA&ZIP=30234&Housing=S&Accuracy=4&Height=6&Obstructed=False&StationList=&Lat=33.3238254&Lon=-84.043175

Larry, do you remember our HTF shoot a few years ago when you let my son shoot your M1 Garand?  He had a blast and still loves shooting with me, Thanks!

He was nine years old then when he first shot his first real rifle.

I've since bought my own CMP HRA service grade Garand and this is him at thirteen years old.

Link Posted: 9/24/2012 4:21:48 PM EDT
[#28]
16 foot antenna, 50 foot tower, pre amp, amp, rotor and shit reception.  Digital tv is all or nothing.  No more watching a poor picture it will just not tune it.  The towers are 1100 AGL and I am in a valley 20 miles away.
Link Posted: 9/24/2012 4:21:56 PM EDT
[#29]
I switched off the satellite about 6 months ago.  Followed these instructions to build an antenna for OTA and use Netflix for everything else.  I miss having 200 channels to scroll through. I don't miss not finding anything to watch for my $75/month!
Link Posted: 9/24/2012 4:25:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I switched off the satellite about 6 months ago.  Followed these instructions to build an antenna for OTA and use Netflix for everything else.  I miss having 200 channels to scroll through. I don't miss not finding anything to watch for my $75/month!

My thoughts exactly!  It's nice to have options.

Link Posted: 9/24/2012 4:33:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

My stepson and I built two of those a few years ago. It was a Cub Scout project and I had turned off my cable right around the same time.

Works pretty good, but we're not exactly known for watching a lot of TV.

Link Posted: 9/24/2012 4:34:07 PM EDT
[#32]
I put up one of these at the peak of my house.  I get stations from 105 miles away clear as a bell.

I will never pay a cable or satellite company for subscription TV ever again.

Link Posted: 9/24/2012 4:36:15 PM EDT
[#33]
TAG
Link Posted: 9/24/2012 4:40:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I put up one of these at the peak of my house.  I get stations from 105 miles away clear as a bell.

http://www.summitsource.com/images/products/AN7285.jpg

Wow, that is awesome.  Are you using an amp?  If so, what kind are you using?  

Link Posted: 9/24/2012 4:51:04 PM EDT
[#35]
I ditched cable/sat tv back in 2001. Been using an antennae and have been fine every since. Netflix does help out a bit.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2012 4:56:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I ditched cable/sat tv back in 2001. Been using an antennae and have been fine every since. Netflix does help out a bit.  

Link Posted: 9/24/2012 4:57:37 PM EDT
[#37]
I get 20 or so channels OTA and the picture is fantastic.

I did pick up a new TiVo... it has a great tuner and wife/kid friendly time shitting... makes it seem like you have a much bigger selection.

At least now I can determine their isn't shit worth watching in record time!

Roku w/amazon prime scratches any other viewing itches.
Link Posted: 9/24/2012 5:02:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I live near the Henry/Butts county border which place me 36-38 miles away from the nearest HDTV broadcast antennas.  Plug your zip code into the website I hot linked and see how far the nearest stations are to you.

Larry, do you remember our HTF shoot a few years ago when you let my son shoot your M1 Garand?  He had a blast and still loves shooting with me, Thanks!

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii217/cda97/adamspics080.jpg

I've since bought my own CMP HRA service grade Garand and this is him at thirteen years old.

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii217/cda97/038-1.jpg

Nearest to me is Jacksonville, about 60-70 miles away.
Link Posted: 9/24/2012 5:14:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii217/cda97/adamspics080.jpg

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii217/cda97/038-1.jpg

I remember that and remember that he got a kick out of shooting the Garand.  I knew you would have to have one of your own.

I had the AR-50 out that trip as well:

That was when I lived in Winder.  I am way the hell down in Waycross these days.

That link shows 3 obscure non-network stations.  Besides, I gotta have my Braves, my ALMS, my GrandAm, my Falcons, etc and I am not gonna get those with an OTA antenna.

Get this.  The FCC makes the local cable companies, Dish, and Direct give customers Jax locals instead of Savannah.

I have been round and round with the FCC about this.  At first they said they don't tell them which stations to show but that was a tap dance.

They DO tell them which local market TV stations they have to give customers in any given area.

I have gone round and round with the FCC about this and they told me that out market is determined by Nielsen ratings.

Well DUH, when all we get is Jax, WTF else are we gonna be watching.

The guy couldn't believe it when I told him how astoundingly stupid that made the FCC seem.

Link Posted: 9/24/2012 6:10:14 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No amp.  I'm using the coax abandoned by the previous owners dish service.  

Link Posted: 9/24/2012 6:14:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

No amp.  I'm using the coax abandoned by the previous owners dish service.  

That's impressive and good to hear.  VHF is directional and line of sight while UHF is an omnidirectional signal.  The absence of tall buildings, hills/mountains or trees sure do help.

Link Posted: 9/24/2012 6:51:04 PM EDT
[#42]
I've read good things about this product, might give it a try some day.

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?mc=03&p=CM-7777&d=Channel-Master-CM7777-Titan2-VHFUHF-TV-Antenna-Preamplifier-with-Power-Supply-%28CM7777%29&c=Pre-Amplifiers&sku=02057207774

My current amp is rated at 7.5 db but I have seen some UHF/VHF specific amps rated at 35 db.  

The amp that is hot linked here was used with an antenna like mine by other users which enabled them to pick up digital signals as far as 70 miles away.  Of course, you need to understand that structures and terrain will have an effect as well.
Link Posted: 9/24/2012 7:12:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 6:10:10 AM EDT
[#45]
I've seen that before but ended up purchasing a long distance antenna for $60 and an amp for $40

For fun I would like to one day build this one. to see it's performance relative to what I have

Link Posted: 10/2/2012 7:18:34 PM EDT
[#46]
For now I can pick up 14 channels which are at least 38 miles away using my current set up.  I recently purchased a UHF/VHF amp rated at 35db gain and will experiment with how many more stations I can pick up.  I haven't really messed with the direction of my antenna since I first started this thread because I was able to pick up ABC so my wife could view her favorite channel but with the new amp I will see how well it performs and report it here.
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 7:59:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top