Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/22/2010 4:13:14 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 4:14:02 AM EDT
[#1]
has anyone rooted the DInc yet?
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 10:47:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Got my X rooted, wireless tether is up and running... SWEET!
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 10:48:33 AM EDT
[#3]
NICE

I don't even have a Droid X and I'm thrilled by this for some reason.

Geekdom, I suppose...

_MaH
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 10:52:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
has anyone rooted the DInc yet?

There's an "instruction" video out there, but it's a PIA.

Apparently, you can do it here now

http://www.unrevoked.com/

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 10:56:02 AM EDT
[#5]
What can you do with a rooted phone that you can't do by writing an app for? I thought the whole point of Android was open source and community programing, just like Linux? Convince enough people to help you and you'd get an app to do whatever you wanted.

Kharn
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 10:58:11 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

What can you do with a rooted phone that you can't do by writing an app for? I thought the whole point of Android was open source and community programing, just like Linux? Convince enough people to help you and you'd get an app to do whatever you wanted.

Kharn

Run apps that require root permissions. Overclocking, some modding, get around carrier restrictions etc. Most people do it because it makes them feel like hackerzzzz.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 10:58:20 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

NICE

Geekdom, I suppose...

_MaH

It's nice to see it done after they put a "bomb" in the phone to screw the hardware if you try and root it. Why did they even bother to put that "feature" in there.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:00:09 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

NICE

Geekdom, I suppose...

_MaH

It's nice to see it done after they put a "bomb" in the phone to screw the hardware if you try and root it. Why did they even bother to put that "feature" in there.

Bullshit. The eFuse will only trigger a restore mode, not brick the phone. Go spread FUD somewhere else.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:03:02 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

NICE

Geekdom, I suppose...

_MaH

Bullshit. The eFuse will only trigger a restore mode, not brick the phone. Go spread FUD somewhere else.

oky doky, you can simmer down now.

The above is what I have read and have not seen anything different yet.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:06:39 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

NICE

Geekdom, I suppose...

_MaH

oky doky, you can simmer down now.

The above is what I have read and have not seen anything different yet.

So go read the hundreds of articles about it before you spread your old information.

"Hai guys, I heard teh iPhone4 blows up on the charger. I read an article about it!"

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 12:18:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
NICE

Geekdom, I suppose...

_MaH

I ain't going to jump on you about it, just here to inform.

The Droid X has an eFuse bootloader.  It won't load any ROMs or images that isn't signed correctly, meaning one can't run unapproved versions of Android that people have gotten to work on other phones.  If the eFuse bootloader detects an unapproved ROM, it will brick the phone.  However, flashing an approved ROM (like the one that ships with the phone) will still work, so the eFuse bootloader doesn't fry the hardware or anything, it just won't run custom ROMs.

Rooting the phone is a different issue altogether and has nothing to do with the eFuse bootloader.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 12:25:36 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

NICE

Geekdom, I suppose...

_MaH

The Droid X has an eFuse bootloader. It won't load any ROMs or images that isn't signed correctly, meaning one can't run unapproved versions of Android that people have gotten to work on other phones. If the eFuse bootloader detects an unapproved ROM, it will brick the phone. However, flashing an approved ROM (like the one that ships with the phone) will still work, so the eFuse bootloader doesn't fry the hardware or anything, it just won't run custom ROMs.

Rooting the phone is a different issue altogether and has nothing to do with the eFuse bootloader.

The way I read it (back the day it was coming out) was that if you tried to root it it would kill the phone as the bootloader was changed during the rooting process. I have not looked into it since then as I do not have one. Your reply is alot better than someone elses in this thread and informative. Thank you...
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 12:40:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 1:01:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
NICE

Geekdom, I suppose...

_MaH

The Droid X has an eFuse bootloader. It won't load any ROMs or images that isn't signed correctly, meaning one can't run unapproved versions of Android that people have gotten to work on other phones. If the eFuse bootloader detects an unapproved ROM, it will brick the phone. However, flashing an approved ROM (like the one that ships with the phone) will still work, so the eFuse bootloader doesn't fry the hardware or anything, it just won't run custom ROMs.

The way I read it (back the day it was coming out) was that if you tried to root it it would kill the phone as the bootloader was changed during the rooting process. I have not looked into it since then as I do not have one. Your reply is alot better than someone elses in this thread and informative. Thank you...

I never understood the point in jumping on people that haven't kept up on the latest news.  When they first discussed the eFuse bootloader, the initial stories were that it would fuck up the phone forever , it took Motorola a few days to clarify what it's purpose was and that it would still run approved roms.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 1:09:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

what exactly is 'wireless tether'?

i assume (and i may be wrong) that it means you can use it to connect your laptop to the internet. use the droid x as a modem more or less. and it connects to the internet and then you connect your pc to the internet via the droid x via wireless or bluetooth.

if this is so, confirm.

also, seems like i read somewhere that to use your verizon smartphone as a 'modem' you had to pay an additional fee of 30 or more dollars. so if you do this root thing to use your droid x as a modem, does verizon catch on and charge you the money?

i was looking at one phone that could do this (act as a modem) and remember seeing this. btw, i have a lg ally (android) and an verizon EVDO usb modem. i pay 60 bucks a month for the EVDO modem.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 1:10:27 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i assume (and i may be wrong) that it means you can use it to connect your laptop to the internet. use the droid x as a modem more or less. and it connects to the internet and then you connect your pc to the internet via the droid x via wireless or bluetooth.

if this is so, confirm.

also, seems like i read somewhere that to use your verizon smartphone as a 'modem' you had to pay an additional fee of 30 or more dollars. so if you do this root thing to use your droid x as a modem, does verizon catch on and charge you the money?

i was looking at one phone that could do this (act as a modem) and remember seeing this. btw, i have a lg ally (android) and an verizon EVDO usb modem. i pay 60 bucks a month for the EVDO modem.

The newer android smart phones can act as a 802.11 access point/router.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 1:11:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

if this is so, confirm.

do you pay extra (phone + smartphone fee (30 bucks) plus tethering fee) ?
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 1:13:00 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

if this is so, confirm.

PDAnet is a WONDERFUL app.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 1:13:13 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm looking at the Iphone and Droid X, so this thread is relevant to me.  

If you root/jailbreak a smartphone, doesn't this void the warranty?

What can you make the Droid X do when you root/jailbreak it?

I'm at a complete loss when it comes to this rooting/jailbreaking stuff.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 1:13:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Excuse my ignorance here, but exactly what are the benefits of rooting?
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 1:14:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

if this is so, confirm.

Not if you root the motherfucker  Already did it to mine, and works just dandy.

Motorola + Verizon can suck my hairy nuts
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 1:14:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 1:14:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Couldnt you just have insurance, and if it breaks say it was stolen or lost?
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 1:14:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

if this is so, confirm.

As I understand it, many people have done it without Verizon catching on and charging them the extra fee, but apparently it is against Verizon's mobile broadband terms and conditions to tether your phone without their permission. Of course, if you never signed up for mobile broadband, there may be an argument to be made that you are not subject to mobile broadband terms and conditions.

Personally, I'm too timid to give it a try (other than pdanet, which is available to non-root users in the android market) even though my Droid is rooted ever since I read about that person that Verizon send an $18,000 phone bill to.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 1:15:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

many.  Wireless tethering, removal of bullshit vendor apps, overclocking, etc etc etc.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 1:30:42 PM EDT
[#26]
This is a good step in the right direction. Hopefully someone will come up with a way to get around that locked boot loader next. I'd like to see some custom ROMs come out for this bad boy.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 1:39:08 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

if this is so, confirm.

As I understand it, many people have done it without Verizon catching on and charging them the extra fee, but apparently it is against Verizon's mobile broadband terms and conditions to tether your phone without their permission. Of course, if you never signed up for mobile broadband, there may be an argument to be made that you are not subject to mobile broadband terms and conditions.

Personally, I'm too timid to give it a try (other than pdanet, which is available to non-root users in the android market) even though my Droid is rooted ever since I read about that person that Verizon send an $18,000 phone bill to.

Believe me, they can tell if you are tethered and abusing data.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 1:46:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Tagged pending the delivery of my X.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 1:48:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

if this is so, confirm.

They very well may be able to tell, but to the best of my knowledge, they have yet to do anything about it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 2:34:38 PM EDT
[#30]
I wouldn't use the phone as a router all the time or they could catch on.  Occasional and SENSIBLE use would make it very cost-ineffective to pursue those using it for occasional casual browsing.

Now if you're using it to download movies via torrents or something, yeah, they're gonna find you.

I probably won't use it at all most months, but I'm glad I have the capability if I need it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 2:55:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Not if I run all my tethered data through OpenVPN.  Cocksuckers can eat shit and die trying to packet sniff aes-256 encryption  Only thing they'll be able to tell is how much traffic I am passing.  As long as your not being a total dumb ass and doing torrents, warez, or other stupid shit, they'll be clueless.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 7:41:24 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not if I run all my tethered data through OpenVPN.  Cocksuckers can eat shit and die trying to packet sniff aes-256 encryption  Only thing they'll be able to tell is how much traffic I am passing.  As long as your not being a total dumb ass and doing torrents, warez, or other stupid shit, they'll be clueless.

Wow, they can still see excessive data huh?

You really pulled one over on them...

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:04:08 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

if this is so, confirm.

I have the 30 dollar unlimited plan wit  Verizon that does not include tethering a laptop/computer. I can easily tether on my windows phone in about 5 seconds if need. I usually only use it when traveling on vacation or need it out and about around town (basically not very often). Don't abuse it and they will never know.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:12:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Always figured the community would be quick on it.   Rooting is the easy part.  Loading custom ROMs is the tricky part with the X.

I'm also going to call VZW soon to ask if I can upgrade to the X at the new 2-year contract price.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:34:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Brilliant, Insurance fraud

That would make you a thief
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:51:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Rooting/jailbreaking won't void your warranty... they do not cause physical damage to the device.  They might try to give you shit if you do root, and then the screen flips out on you and they find that it's rooted.  I believe the Magnussen-Moss act applies.

When you root the Droid X, you are getting administrator level privileges.  You can make changes and run things as the root user.  An example is this - there are a couple applications that load, like the Corporate Calendar app... but if you don't need it, you can't keep it from starting when the phone boots.  If you're rooted, you can go in and change the program's file name to prevent it from being executable, thus stopping it from running.  

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:52:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

many.  Wireless tethering, removal of bullshit vendor apps, overclocking, etc etc etc.

What is over clocking?
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:55:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Yeah this isn't exactly a major accomplishment.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:57:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is over clocking?

overclocking the processor (CPU) to make it faster (process data like programs faster)

I rooted my DINC with unrevoked3 easy like pie! wireless tether is awesome! many great things you can do to the phone now!
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:58:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

if this is so, confirm.

PDAnet is a WONDERFUL app.

Yes it is and if you google it there are instructions for getting around ATT blocking the installation.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:59:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is over clocking?

Running a processor higher than its factory specs.  The OMAP 3430 in the droid x runs at 1000 mhz stock clock speed.  If you change it to say 1200 or 1500 you've overclocked it
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:59:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 9:01:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Brilliant, Insurance fraud

That would make you a thief

Interesting that you didn't seem to notice or care about the bulk of people talking about using a root exploit on their phone to circumvent Verizon's monthly data-tethering fee, but you zeroed in on a guy who was going to say that his broken phone was a lost phone and called him a theif.

I'm not defending either action, I just found it interesting what you chose to notice.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 9:15:20 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unless you run encrypted DNS or set up your own DNS server, the ISP will still see your DNS requests for every web page.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 9:27:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is over clocking?

Running a processor higher than its factory specs.  The OMAP 3430 in the droid x runs at 1000 mhz stock clock speed.  If you change it to say 1200 or 1500 you've overclocked it

Will it harm it or over-heat the pcu?
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 9:31:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 9:43:44 PM EDT
[#47]

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 9:44:52 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

The guy at the Verizon Store (not a Verizon reseller, the Verzon Only Store), told me to get PDANet to tether my Droid when I got it.  No extra charges over the base SmartPhone Plan.  This was about 2 months ago.

Prior to the droid, I was paying for Data Service, and had to run VZAccess Manager on the notebook once plugged into the phone to get on the net with the notebook.  I asked how that would change with the Droid, and it was "Free" with PDANet, from the salesman and tech confirmed it on no extra charges.  They were fully aware of my intended use.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 10:46:10 PM EDT
[#49]
How does that wifi work on these? Say i have my phone and am somewhere that has a wlan signal like my router. Can i connect the phone to it and surf the net, text and make calls for free over my ISP? Or does it just send out a wlan signal so that you can connect a pc to the internet anywhere you have a cell signal? Could you connect the phone to another phone that has a unlimeted data plan?

I've been thinking about getting one of these kind of phones but having a hard time talking myself into a $500 phone when a laptop  is only a little more and would be more usable for me since i don't plan on spending $30 for a data plan.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 10:50:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Unless you run encrypted DNS or set up your own DNS server, the ISP will still see your DNS requests for every web page.

I set the OpenVPN server at work to tunnel the DNS requests.  The only thing someone packet sniffing is going to see is what the vpn server's IP is, and how much traffic I'm passing to it.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top