Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2017 4:28:51 PM EDT
We are moving into our first house in a few weeks. A few things I want to do are fix the driveway and redo the front walkway and staircase with some stamped concrete and brick stairs with concrete top. The driveway slopes down towards the garage but no water ever gets into the garage. There is a 12"x12" drain that doesn't appear to drain anywhere except into the ground. Thinking of replacing the driveway (what is the difference between replace and resurface) and getting the drainage addressed as well. I'm not sure I even need drainage for the driveway. I've driven by after heavy rainfall and there are a few puddles that collect where I marked. Thoughts?

Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:32:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I think I'd be more worried about the trip and fall hazard that raised bed walkway to the front door is. ETA: I see you want that addressed foremost.

Driveway looks in good shape, I'd wait until it needed replacing, personally.

Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:33:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Tuff tite drain system. H-20 rated when encased in concrete, comes in three ft. sections with male/ female ends that snap together.  IMO it's a pretty good permanent solution.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:35:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think I'd be more worried about the trip and fall hazard that raised bed walkway to the front door is.

Driveway looks in good shape, I'd wait until it needed replacing, personally.

View Quote
For sure. I am going to pull those up as soon as we move in. I don't need any trick or treaters hurting themselves!
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:35:27 PM EDT
[#4]
The steps to the front door has a huge drop off. You could create concrete steps so you could step up to it from the driveway, instead of those stepping stones in mulch.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:37:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The steps to the front door has a huge drop off. You could create concrete steps so you could step up to it from the driveway, instead of those stepping stones in mulch.
View Quote
Its a crappy pic so you prob cannot see it, but there are steps next to the potted plant. We were even toying with the idea of getting rid of the walkway completely, planting grass, and just using the steps coming up from the driveway. Thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:43:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Not a fan of the walkway and steps either.

Looks like the driveway was sloped and pitched correctly so that the water runs to the drain.  Puddles are some low spots possibly created after things settled.  No water in the garage is a pretty good sign it was done correctly, but I wouldn't store anything not waterproof on the floor until after a couple torrential downpours.  If you want to assist the process you could cut the driveway and install a trench system at the low spot.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:01:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Thx for suggestions. Bump for the night crowd.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:23:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Anyone else :)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top