Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/29/2002 7:55:46 AM EDT
Hey guys, any recommendations on a cutout tool? I would use it for minor gunsmithing applications as well as the standard around-the-house work, but my immediate need is for a drywall project I have going (electrical cutouts, etc.).

Dremel makes a variable speed multitool [url]http://www.dremel.com/productdisplay/Display.asp?SKU=395[/url], but also a rotary saw [url]http://www.dremel.com/productdisplay/display.asp?sku=9000-04[/url]. Can I do drywall cutouts with the multitool? Or do I really need 2 different tools?

And additionally, there are other options besides Dremel brand--Dewalt [url]http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/tool_detail.asp?productID=2750[/url] for example (not variable speed).

Any recommendations appreciated.
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 8:22:58 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm on my second Dremel brand rotory tool, variable 5 speed. Have to say these are the greatest lightweight tools for just about everything. I've used them on all sorts of household 'repairs' and they are excellent little gunsmithing tools.

For example, used my Dremel and a heavy duty cutoff wheel to channel out a SAR1 receiver to install a US made double hook trigger. Also did work on a US made 'slant' AK brake to make it look more like the original.

Great for polishing up slides, bolts, mag lips (on my buddies old .22 that wasnt feeding properly)

Yes, the Dremel School of Gunsmithing!

I'm sure you'll be pleased with a purchase of the Dremel. You'll find plenty of situations where a bench grinder or hand file/saw would be a worse choice.

And for the specific reasons you've specified, I dont have the router like attachment for drywall cutouts - but have used it to cutout electrical outlet boxes in sheetrock. Cuts like a hot knife through butter.
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 10:23:44 AM EDT
[#2]
For my taste, a Roto-Zip style tool seems a little too specialized — there's not a lot things it does well except cut drywall and paneling.

I have a Craftsman electric die grinder that I use with:

1. Roto-Zip bits to make fast holes in walls (uses the same 1/8" collet size),
2.  Dremel attachments for small grinding, polishing, etc. (comes with 1/16" (?) collet adapter)
3. A 3" cutoff wheel for cutting sheet metal, body panels, etc. (handles MUCH beefier jobs than a Dremel would)
4. Various rotary files and grinding stones for porting manifolds, cylinder heads, etc.

The die grinder is certainly heavier and bulkier than a Dremel tool, but it's built to last (and didn't cost much more, either). Biggest disadvantage is probably the lack of variable speed (although some other models have this feature).
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 10:43:07 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd say the dremel variable speed would do the job.  The other tool is too specific to only cutting drywall or sheetrock.  You could buy the router attachment for a tenth of the price and then you would have an all in one tool.  Mine has yet to fail me.
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 2:27:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys...keep 'em comin'.
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 6:30:05 PM EDT
[#5]
btt
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 6:49:21 PM EDT
[#6]
 For drywalls, the RotoZip will make quick work out of cutouts.
 "Dremel" brand is good but the "Foredom Flexible Shaft Power Tool" and its accessories is way better.

Link Posted: 11/29/2002 8:44:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got the multispeed Dremel, and I don't know how I got along with it out.  I use it on virtually every single hobby I have.  Cars, guns, computers (case mods, etc), around the house stuff, etc, etc, etc.  THE most useful tool I have ever owned.
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 8:54:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Dremels are awesome...get the one that has the most power. Get the "extension whip" type of attachment that lets you have the tool head away from the motor body...Better that way for tight areas with more control.

Now, as far as drywall. Use a drywall saw/knife before you use the dremel. Drywall dust is gritty and will wreck anything with bearings...It will shorten the life of your dremel considerably. Just dont do it.

I am not a big fan of RotoZips for this very reason.
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 9:07:55 PM EDT
[#9]
I've got the Craftsman version myself.  From what I've seen, they're exactly the same.  Even the housing numbers matched up.  I bought a Dremel routing table for it, and it matched up perfect.  

The reason I got the Craftsman was the price.  Found a good deal on a combo kit:  flex shaft, the attachment to do you drywall cut-outs, bits, sanding drums, cutter wheels, etc.  

Lowe's seems to be the best price for bits so far, but I haven't found any store with a selection anywhere close to what Dremel actually makes for it.    

Edited to add:  Make sure you get a multi-speed though!!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 9:14:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a Dremel multispeed. Came with a kit with the "whip" "flex" attachment and a bunch of misc. bits. Seems to work pretty good on anything I can think of.
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 5:17:35 AM EDT
[#11]
I've got three myself. Wouldn't be without them. I have the router table and a bunch of other attachments. Used it to clean out old grout, brushes make short work or rust. It slices, it dice's. Makes mounds of julian fries. Sorry, got carried away.
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 5:52:00 AM EDT
[#12]
I have 3 different rotary tools and for your application I agree with Skibane and levi----Get a RotoZip. Good power, versatile, attachments and cutting blades out the wa-zoo!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top