Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2006 12:39:51 AM EDT
 German beer really isn't all that great. I was all excited to be stationed here so I could sample some of the "best beer in the world." But, truth be told, I'm not all that impressed.

Maybe it's because I'm from Oregon. We have alot of good beers there. Most Oregonians who are beer enthusiasts, don't drink crap beer like coors lite or budweiser. We drink micro-brews of exceptional quality.

Most of the German beer I've tried is, at best, on par with Oregon micro-brews. The alcohol content is a little higher ( average is %10) but other than that, it's only o.k..

The hefe-weisen is deffinatley better than in the states, but the pilsner and lagers are average at best.

If you've never had really good beer, then German beer would seem extraordinary. But for an Oregonian, it's just another beer.

Sorry if I wasted bandwidth, just felt like venting.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 12:54:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Ireland
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 1:04:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Brilliant!

Link Posted: 4/16/2006 1:10:05 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Ireland

.............where they keep their warm beer in Lucas refrigerators.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 1:10:33 AM EDT
[#4]
preach it brother

Link Posted: 4/16/2006 1:12:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I just went and got a beer so I could drink to this post cheers! to Oregon Beer
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 1:17:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Where in Germany are you?  There are about 3000 beers there, and they vary greatly by region.  Give it some time, and try lots of Dunkelweizen and Hefes and you'll learn to appreciate them more.  Some of the dunkelpils in Bavaria is pretty damn tasty too, not to mention pretty potent!  Keep in mind that the stammerwurze (sp?) on the cans/bottles is not alcohol content in %, there is a conversion there.  Most German beer is 5-6% just like American pisswater.  One thing I can't figure out is why American microbreweries cannont figure out how to make a half way decent hefeweizen, all the American ones tast like dirty sock wringings.    I prefer English, Scottish, and Irish ales of all varieties to any other beers worldwide, but German stuff is pretty nice.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top