Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2004 9:07:29 PM EDT
Today the wife took the dog to the dog park,I was icing my knee due to a hyper-xtension, so i didn't go. In hindsight I should have gone,because when she went there our Greyhound went after a small little dog that was there.
Before I go any farther I have to say that there is two pens one for large dogs and one for small dogs.People at this dog park especially those who have the small dogs seen to ignore this fact with no care for their or anyones else's dog.
The wife and two other people where needed to get our greyhound off of the small dog, apparently our dog bit this dog after the small dog nipped at him. And some blood was drawn. It seens that i've not untrained our dog from chasing small critters,and he sse's small flurry dogs as the track "rabbit" that he used to chase.
My wife offered to pay the vet bill, and gave the lady our ph# to get intouch with us for the bill.
Right now I'm mad at our dog for doing this,it could get him labled as a viscious dog and put to sleep, the stupid people who won't use the small dog pen and myself for not being able to un-train him.
He's fine with large dogs and people,hell he is even ok around cats it's just small dogs that he has a problem with. And it wouldn't be a problem if they used the small dog pen!!!!!
I'm really upset cause me and this dog have bonded, we took him in from the AZ Greyhound rescue and I can tell that he is happy here at our house and I would be knoked flat if he had to be put down. Tomarrow we are getting him a muzzle to see if this can help.
Any help would be great..
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:09:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Your dog is a bitter.

Don't blame the people...blame your dog.

SGatr15
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:30:38 AM EDT
[#2]
He sounds like a biter  too.

A muzzle may be too little too late.  It was trained and trained and trained to chase small objects over and above it's instinctual  predilection to chase things.  

If the small dog was in the area supposedly restricted to large dogs you may dodge the bullet.  After all they try to segregate the walking meals from the real dogs.  Did your dog approach the little one?  What precipitated the first nip from the little one?  Ws it a final realization that it might be history, like the mouse flipping of the owl, or in more likely an attempt to protect itself.

The people here at the local Greyhound Rescue Group that adopt out the hounds stress that they aare unpredictable.  In fact in general, ANY DOG THAT IS "RESCUED" is pretty unpredictable.  You have no idea why it was given up, you don't know how and why or what it was trained for, or what behaviours were inculcated.  Although with greyhounds you do know they were trained for racing (trying to catch a small prey) you don't what methods were used.  I have some experience, I have two now and previously another rescued  Basset Hounds.  The first was an almost perfect dog for kids, would take poking prodding ear  and tail pulling.  Was used for show and tell at school by all three sons. However she was crap at being a guard dog except for possums in the backyard.  People NO, she loved everybody, in fact we never saw her bark at people, and only raised her hackles a bit once.

The two I have now, we ended up getting from two rescue sources about a month after the first died suddenly. Both are good dogs but are neither overly well adjusted.  It's been about 4 years now and neither is alfa dog, and they will occasionally fight over food they have purloined by opening cupboards the boys haven't fully closed (earthquake locks), fruit, especially bananas and canteloupes they have been able to get off the counter  (yeah they eat canteloupes and bananas) or by knocking down the trash the boys haven't taken out.  You haven't lived until you've come home and found that the girls have found a five pound bag of flour and dragged it all over the house trying to get it away from the other.  Flour and bassett slobber.

One is neurotic, has separation anxiety if the wife is out of her sight for more than 5 minutes.  And she will run out the front door.  But she hated going for walks and in the car, used to quiver and shake and mosn in the car.  And when walking dragged her nose, ears and tail.  You ever see any other hound that wouldn't hold it's tail up when walking?  Is great with people and will jump up on the couchj with you but not in anybodies lap.  

The other was starved, and apparently physically disciplined.  When we got her she was about 15% under her optimum weight.  She would lunge and attach over anything she thought was food.  Now that she is up to weight and not hungry all the time she is better about food and she won't try to take it away from people, although if you hold it where she can get it she'll take it by stealth.  She had to be taught to jump.  If she saw the other dog get up on the couch  or bed or ??? she would come over and bark at her.  She would come over and get us and bark to rat her "sister"  out.  She even will bark at people who get up on things she thinks they shouldn't.  She accepts attention from kids but not too much annoyance, and then she snaps and hits with the side of her nose like correcting puppies.  We can leave the front door wide open and she will stay inside even if we call her, until she has her leash or we pick her leash up.  She loves to go for walks and in the car.  She won't lick anybody unless they have some food spatter or similar, she won't give you "kissies"  even if you
ve got something lickable on your face.  She'll sniff but won't lick a persons face.   In other words there are some behaviours that are normal in dogs that she avoids like the plague or had to be taught.  But she is purely delighted to get in somebodys lap and just relax.  But then she will not get down until she is ready, and will let you know that she isn't happy about it.  My wife and I can pick her up to move her the boys can't.

The Basset Rescue folks are pretty straight forward that rescue dogs can have some latent timebombs hidden depending on their background.  And you know that if a Basset can be made to be dangerous, what about a dog from a breed that has more aggressive tendencies?  

I'm not blanket saying don't trust "rescued" dogs but be prepared.  We've had Samantha for about 5 years now and every so often she does something out of character for bassets.

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:44:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:57:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:12:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Now wait just a minute.  The dog evidently was nipped at first by another dog.  Defending one's self whether your an animal or person is instinctual.  The other owner is the one at fault, not the Greyhound.  ALL DOGS ARE BITERS.  They are carnivores and are by nature predators.  Just because he bit this dog doesn't mean he's a vicious dog.  Sheesh...........

jd1
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:41:27 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Today the wife took the dog to the dog park,I was icing my knee due to a hyper-xtension, so i didn't go. In hindsight I should have gone,because when she went there our Greyhound went after a small little dog that was there.
Before I go any farther I have to say that there is two pens one for large dogs and one for small dogs.People at this dog park especially those who have the small dogs seen to ignore this fact with no care for their or anyones else's dog.
The wife and two other people where needed to get our greyhound off of the small dog, apparently our dog bit this dog after the small dog nipped at him. And some blood was drawn. It seens that i've not untrained our dog from chasing small critters,and he sse's small flurry dogs as the track "rabbit" that he used to chase.
My wife offered to pay the vet bill, and gave the lady our ph# to get intouch with us for the bill.
Right now I'm mad at our dog for doing this,it could get him labled as a viscious dog and put to sleep, the stupid people who won't use the small dog pen and myself for not being able to un-train him.
He's fine with large dogs and people,hell he is even ok around cats it's just small dogs that he has a problem with. And it wouldn't be a problem if they used the small dog pen!!!!!
I'm really upset cause me and this dog have bonded, we took him in from the AZ Greyhound rescue and I can tell that he is happy here at our house and I would be knoked flat if he had to be put down. Tomarrow we are getting him a muzzle to see if this can help.
Any help would be great..

I feel for you.  My golden retriever bit my neighbor a couple of weeks ago.  Sometimes dogs just find someone/something that they don't like.  I doubt seriously that your problem will get to the point were the dog is labeled viscious and put to sleep.  If my dog can bite my neighbor without all of that than you can excape this as well.  It seems to me that any dog owner who puts his/her dog in a pen with other dogs is taking the chance that something like this would happen.

Just relax, pay the bills.  I am sure everything will be fine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top