Link Posted: 1/26/2014 7:57:41 PM EDT
[#1]
sounds like a hell of a night
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 8:01:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Edit:  NVM.  Misread
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 8:06:09 PM EDT
[#3]
We had a squad stolen once while the crew was inside the residence with the patient.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 8:06:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I am gonna have to make a call or two tomorrow and find out the real story.

Oxygen doesn't have to be kept at temperature.  The A.E.D. Does because of the battery in addition to drugs.

He is a moron for not locking the door and leaving the keys in it though.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 8:09:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Does not sound strange to me.   We would leave  our rigs running if they are out of the station any length of time.   This is in winter.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 8:11:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I just invented a circular piece of steel attached to a metallic object that opens locks.

I call it a Second Key So You Can Leave Your Car Engine Running And Not Be A Moron.

I'm going to patent it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 8:13:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 8:15:14 PM EDT
[#8]
It's winter. Frozen drugs suck.  Sounds like he got lazy and didn't lock it up.  

wonder if there were narcs on board when it was stolen.  Wonder if the narc key is on the same key ring as was in the ignition.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 8:16:05 PM EDT
[#9]
What sounds odd? We leave our vehicle s running and unlocked unless it is the nicest 65 degree day you can imagine.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 8:17:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Engine running, high idle, no problems.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 8:21:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Our ambulances here have a mechanism to leave them running with the key out. Try to pull it out of park without the key in it, it dies. I don't understand why he didn't have the same thing.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 8:23:18 PM EDT
[#12]
probably SOP, just like at wildfires, all vehicles are backed in and keys left in the ignition so they can be moved if things change...
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 8:55:11 PM EDT
[#13]
LAZY and yes I work for a FD.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 8:56:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Obviously a chief's vehicle would be different, but our engine's don't have keys, much less doorlocks.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 9:14:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Drunk kids stole the chiefs' Tahoe.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 9:19:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Our ambulances here have a mechanism to leave them running with the key out. Try to pull it out of park without the key in it, it dies. I don't understand why he didn't have the same thing.
View Quote

One of ours does, the rest don't.  Why?  We buy hand-me-down shit and run it to the ground, then replace it with more hand-me-down shit.

Some departments get what they can, not what they want.

Sounds more like this just isn't something he ever considered.  Not that hard to have a spare key made so you can keep it running and locked.

edit:  Shit, our cab doors are electric but the back can only be locked with a key.  Having the back doors locked on scene creates enough of an issue when we only have one spare key that it's usually left unlocked on scene.  No one could drive away with the ambulance but they could get in to the back and steal whatever they wanted.  Fortunately I'm not a paramedic so I don't have to worry about any narcs getting swiped.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 9:26:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Back in the day I remember an ambulance stolen outside detox, and a fire truck tagged by a graffiti artist while on a call.

You know that gang banger was the cool one of the group for a couple of days.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 9:48:42 PM EDT
[#18]
He left the vehicle running when he went into the firehouse to check on his guys for " 2 minutes" according to a Newsday article. He could have shut it off when he went inside.
The vehicle was stolen before 100 AM and they went to the Huntington area where they drove off without paying for $92 in gas about 4 hours later.  A retired cop called in the vehicle around 530 AM  in the Miller Place area but the police where unable to locate the vehicle until later.
On the article linked it says he was checking on his guys. The updated article says  "I got a call to assist on a [paramedic] call, I ran out to get my car, and it just wasn't there," he continued. "The cameras caught it all, I mean, it was pretty simple. They just jumped in and took it."
Which is it?
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 5:33:49 AM EDT
[#19]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

He left the vehicle running when he went into the firehouse to check on his guys for " 2 minutes" according to a Newsday article. He could have shut it off when he went inside.

The vehicle was stolen before 100 AM and they went to the Huntington area where they drove off without paying for $92 in gas about 4 hours later.  A retired cop called in the vehicle around 530 AM  in the Miller Place area but the police where unable to locate the vehicle until later.

On the article linked it says he was checking on his guys. The updated article says  "I got a call to assist on a [paramedic] call, I ran out to get my car, and it just wasn't there," he continued. "The cameras caught it all, I mean, it was pretty simple. They just jumped in and took it."

Which is it?
View Quote
And as an update....

The chiefs vehicle had OnStar.  The fucking cops and vollies could have shut it off and located it at any time.  Morons.

I am also a vollie on LI here.  I find it hard to believe that the $60,000 vehicle did not have a remote start.  It freaking LI.  

But taking it from a vollie house is a ballsy move.  Usually there are 1-3 cops hanging out at any given time.  LOL

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top