Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2004 11:39:35 AM EDT
I carried a 1911 for a long time and I used to load by dropping the slide on a full mag.  But after noticing the bullet get seated a little deaper each time I started loading by dropping the round into the chamber then closing the slide on it.  Then I would insert the full mag.

Most modern autos aren't as crude and brutal on the ammo as the 1911, but I've still retained the habit when loading carry ammo.

At the range or in training I don't do this of course.
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 11:41:33 AM EDT
[#1]
[blue][b]NO!!!

Don't do it.

I did this at first, but learned you can damage the extractor by single loading through the port.[/b][/blue]
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 11:43:44 AM EDT
[#2]
yeah I agree with the above post I don't think its good for the extractor to have to push itself around the bullet.
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 11:45:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
yeah I agree with the above post I don't think its good for the extractor to have to push itself around the bullet.
View Quote

I second the motion Your Honor!

This is hard on extractors, especially in the 1911 style pistols.
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 11:46:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Really?  I figger the extractor has to snap over the rim of the cartridge anyway.  

There are a couple of different extractor designs, too.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 11:48:29 AM EDT
[#5]
I cannot speak for the 1911s, but I destroyed several Glock extractors doing that.
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 11:49:52 AM EDT
[#6]
See above.  They speak the truth.
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 11:52:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I cannot speak for the 1911s, but I destroyed several Glock extractors doing that.
View Quote

DANG!

I'm glad I Axed the question.  Why, if I may ask, were you doing this nutty practice?
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 11:52:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Really?  I figger the extractor has to snap over the rim of the cartridge anyway.  

There are a couple of different extractor designs, too.  
View Quote

This is a great way to ruin the extractor on you 1911.

If you're using ammunition that sets the bullet back into the case from loading you need to switch brands of ammo.

The only time I unload my carry ammo is when I go to the range to shoot [;)] my practice ammo.
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 11:54:20 AM EDT
[#9]
My 1911 owner's manual specifically states not to do this.

It says to put in a full mag, release the slide, drop the mag, top it off.
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 11:55:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Does the round chambered from the magazine "slide" its rim under the extractor and not cause the extractor to "SNAP" over the rim?
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 11:57:00 AM EDT
[#11]
I had a CCW at a former duty station, I carried a Glock 23.  While practicing at that range I would started to get failures to extract and I noticed that the bottom edge of the extractor was chipped off.  At first I changed the extractor but in a few months had the same problem.  I replaced the extractor and stopped loading through the ejection port and the problems went away.
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 11:59:17 AM EDT
[#12]
You will wear, spring or even break the extractor by forcing it over the extraction groove on a case head.

It's made to strip the case from the mag so the extractor groove slides under the the extractor.

Added: I type slow.

Link Posted: 1/3/2004 11:59:32 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm glad I saw this thread. I haven't done it much, but NO MORE for me.

Danny
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 12:01:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Danny
View Quote

That, and let the slide slam home on an empty chamber. Something else my manual warned me about.
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 12:05:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Bullet set back from administrative handling will happen with all ammo over a long enough service life. You minimize the effects by not eliminating unnecessary administrative gun handling, and getting new carry ammo every year.

Some go a step farther, and never put a round that has been chambered back into the mag or box. Once a round has been chambered, even once, it becomes training ammo for the next range trip.
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 12:18:57 PM EDT
[#16]
The S&W 1911 and certain Kimbers with external extractors allow this.

Too bad I dont have one!  [>(]
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 12:23:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Danny
View Quote

That, and let the slide slam home on an empty chamber. Something else my manual warned me about.
View Quote

I've heard about the empty chamber thing, the round of ammo kind of cushions the slide when it slams home, right?

Danny
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 12:35:32 PM EDT
[#18]
I am a glock armourer and no do not do this with any weapon it may damage your extractor after time. And when you need it most it will not extract/eject that empty causing a jam that you will not beable to correct in the field and must repair/replace damaged parts to correct
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 12:39:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Wow!  Thanks for all the input.  I guess I'll have to abandon this habit and give my extractor a once over.
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 1:53:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Danny
View Quote

View Quote

I've heard about the empty chamber thing, the round of ammo kind of cushions the slide when it slams home, right?

Danny
View Quote

Yep. The way it phrases it is "undue wear on the breech face".
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 2:13:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Does the round chambered from the magazine "slide" its rim under the extractor and not cause the extractor to "SNAP" over the rim?
View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 2:41:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes.
View Quote

To elaborate: every pistol I have seen has the round slide under the extractor. Every (autoloading) rifle that I have seen has the extractor snap over the round. The rifle extractors have to snap over, and are designed to, because the rifle bolt has metal going all the way around the cartridge rim to increase strength. For the cartridges to slide under pistol extractors, the metal on the breech that supports the bottom of the case is missing. This probably makes feeding more reliable for the short pistol cartridges.

Also note that some pistol extractors are designed to snap over safely, even though they slide under during normal feeding. The manual for my Beretta 92FS specifically states that placing rounds into the chamber and dropping the slide on it is okay. If you look at the extractor, you can see a slope in the front that allows it to snap over a case rim without excessive force.
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 2:47:29 PM EDT
[#23]
what about my sig 220
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 4:28:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Good points, MACE.

I'm sold.  I will never do it again.
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 4:47:54 PM EDT
[#25]
i chamber a round the traditional way, i have concerns with ammo thats been loaded, unloaded, and loaded again multiple times.
What i do, is whenever i go to the range, i fire off the ammo thats been in my carry gun first, then after i come back from the range, and clean my weapon, then i load new ammo. repeat as necessary
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top