Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 4:17:17 PM EDT
[#1]
As with the rest of society, GD gone woke

How else do you make a safe space from the microaggressions?
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 4:19:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Being able to kick people out of your own thread would be ridiculous.
This place is almost to much of an echo chamber as is now.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 4:20:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Will each user be able to see what threads they are blocked from? It might be difficult to keep track of.

You realize people might become proud of how many threads they are banned from? I could see it becoming a contest to see who could be most excluded.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 4:20:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Marching in lockstep into an echo chamber.

100% chance it will be abused. It will be used in a coordinated effort to target members and manipulate responses.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/3/2021 4:20:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
How about instead of this, you have a "cant post in your threads list"?

Have disruptive members?  just add them to the list.  They won't see the threads you post, and you wouldn't need to ban them from your threads because they wouldn't even know your threads existed.  Any time some jackass posts stupid, thread derailing or otherwise bullshit in your threads, add them to the list.

Pretty soon you'll only have mature, well reasoned, respectful replies.
View Quote

... this only applies to the people that won't abuse the power.

Having it where they can't even see the threads ... that would just silo people up into private cliques.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 4:22:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I just want a Like, Dislike, and Fuck Off button.
View Quote

there's significant evidence the like button ruined the internet.

seriously.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 4:24:18 PM EDT
[#7]
If someone makes a post and they want to kick someone from it I don't think it's an issue. It's the OP's post

Why is there so much panty wadding and wailing about this idea?

Also, I think the "post count" posts should be abolished. Who gives a fuck about how much time you've wasted posting nonsense?
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 4:32:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Discussion site discourages callout threads.

Discussion site allows members to limit discussion based on personality conflicts or feelz, potentially turning any thread into a callout thread because everybody will know when somebody is excluded.

Excluded members will then start their own thread to discuss the same topic, but exclude the other member with a similar thread.

Similar to having two threads to discuss all matters covid, some things should go in the bad idea pile.
View Quote

Off the top of my head....

New thread: "She ain't no lady if she's over 180" and immediately exclude midcap.

Make a thread complaining about asian women and immediately exclude beitostrasse.

Make a thread complaining about New York lawyers and immediately exclude aimless.

Make a thread complaining about KIAs and immediately exclude littlepony.

Make a thread complaining about MGTOW and immediately exclude the MGTOW team.

OP, the more I think about it, the more I like it!!! You got a freaking great idea!!!  
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 4:33:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It reads:

“1) Site Updates and Tools. (User + Mod powers)
We are toying with the ability for authors to have more control with their threads, including the ability to lock their own posts and kick people from them. (If abused, some of these options will go away.) We are also looking to improve the mod tools to make it easier for them to moderate and avoid locking threads.”

Locking your own thread seems okay, and it could help cut down on obvious dupes.

However, kicking other members would create hugbox echo chambers, such as when someone posts a thread filled with Qbert nonsense, Jack Posobiec, et cetera.
View Quote

If they roll out the ability to kick people from the thread it's going to be used an awful lot, and probably almost instantly create problems.

However, it will allow certain members to protect the purity of their thread from commies, leftists and Antifa infiltrators.

The current plan of trying to make this place a safe space for everyone is doomed to failure.  The country has become too polarized.  There are a few issues that really divide Arfcom.  Ultimately, IMO the best course of action would be to decide one way or another on these critical issues, tell people up front that posting in favor or against certain topics is no longer allowed, and then the inevitable purge.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 4:33:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Having it where they can't even see the threads ... that would just silo people up into private cliques.
View Quote

They already are.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 4:36:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If they roll out the ability to kick people from the thread it's going to be used an awful lot, and probably almost instantly create problems.

However, it will allow certain members to protect the purity of their thread from commies, leftists and Antifa infiltrators.

The current plan of trying to make this place a safe space for everyone is doomed to failure.  The country has become too polarized.  There are a few issues that really divide Arfcom.  Ultimately, IMO the best course of action would be to decide one way or another on these critical issues, tell people up front that posting in favor or against certain topics is no longer allowed, and then the inevitable purge.
View Quote

Well then, watch when membership drops to 13% of what it was when the order comes down that you can't be critical of police misconduct.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 4:44:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

They already are.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They already are.

On arf? Outside of PMs?

... and do they have the ability to not merely kick everyone they don't want out, but keep them from even seeing the conversations?

If people want to tamp down on trolls and provacateurs ... letting them silo up with people they think they can reasonably influence while giving them the ability to kick those who won't buy what they're selling and who could give them valid pushback ... that's not a good thing.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 4:48:43 PM EDT
[#13]
it will be such a shame when we wont be able to read leftist dickshitters  posting in every thread  and shitting on our fun like they do every single other place online
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 4:49:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Well then, watch when membership drops to 13% of what it was when the order comes down that you can't be critical of police misconduct.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just can't wait to get rid of the 'no beans' miscreants.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 4:50:09 PM EDT
[#15]
I think it will be beneficial to the site. Everyone will be able to be heard and included.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 4:58:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I love this idea and I was very vocally pissed about the bumpstock ban, and have had "muh bumpstocks" and "sorry your girl lost" directed at me, in spite of being a 2 time Trump voter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

known thread derailers aka non trump sycophants

the ones that love this idea are known trump ball garglers and can't stand to have someone criticize their guy

I love this idea and I was very vocally pissed about the bumpstock ban, and have had "muh bumpstocks" and "sorry your girl lost" directed at me, in spite of being a 2 time Trump voter.

Well, you're entitled to your opinion, but guys like you and I who voted for him twice but still think it's important to criticize leadership will be muted.

ETA
If this goes through the first thing I'm going to do is post: "who thinks Trump should shut up, sit down, and let Desantis run" then kick all the sycophants.

Sounds fun actually.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 5:00:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It reads:

"1) Site Updates and Tools. (User + Mod powers)
We are toying with the ability for authors to have more control with their threads, including the ability to lock their own posts and kick people from them. (If abused, some of these options will go away.) We are also looking to improve the mod tools to make it easier for them to moderate and avoid locking threads."

Locking your own thread seems okay, and it could help cut down on obvious dupes.

However, kicking other members would create hugbox echo chambers, such as when someone posts a thread filled with Qbert nonsense, Jack Posobiec, et cetera.
View Quote
Wow, those are the same things I suggested in the lifer form.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 5:11:50 PM EDT
[#18]
OPNI
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 5:12:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Seems like a bad idea.

How about the paid members get a voting option once a year to vote a mod in or out.  I think that might yield better results.  A proper checks and balances if you will.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 5:14:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I just can't wait to get rid of the 'no beans' miscreants.
View Quote

I used to be in the no beans camp until I stumbled upon an awesome recipe that includes pintos and red kidneys.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 5:30:43 PM EDT
[#21]
do an upvote and downvote button.  Upvote shows next to your vote count.  Downvote removes one random letter from your post
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 5:45:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Well, you're entitled to your opinion, but guys like you and I who voted for him twice but still think it's important to criticize leadership will be muted.

ETA
If this goes through the first thing I'm going to do is post: "who thinks Trump should shut up, sit down, and let Desantis run" then kick all the sycophants.

Sounds fun actually.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

the ones that love this idea are known trump ball garglers and can't stand to have someone criticize their guy

ETA

Sounds fun actually.
Before you do that, I'll cram a word in edgewise ... NOOT MEEE! Desantis isn't perfect, but I'd rather he stayed in his state, we need to keep fighting at the federal level, but right now anyone sent up there is 90% (being optimistic) wasted and can't do any good. The states are more important and critical right now.

(you can kick me from your thread now :D )
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 5:47:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
do an upvote and downvote button.  Upvote shows next to your vote count.  Downvote removes one random letter from your post
View Quote

Upvotes and downvotes change the colorof your posts in any given thread?

Have a special button for feds that makes their posts literally glow.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 5:49:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Make it apply to anyone that uses the term glowie.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 5:53:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I think the ability to lock a thread is a good idea...booting people? Not so much.
View Quote

I think being able to delete your own thread would be good for when you realize you've posted something stupid.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 6:00:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Before you do that, I'll cram a word in edgewise ... NOOT MEEE! Desantis isn't perfect, but I'd rather he stayed in his state, we need to keep fighting at the federal level, but right now anyone sent up there is 90% (being optimistic) wasted and can't do any good. The states are more important and critical right now.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA

Sounds fun actually.

fucking BANNED
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 6:03:00 PM EDT
[#27]
This would be great to weed out those that just make bullshit posts that add nothing to the thread but to criticize the content of the thread.
Dipshits that just post things "lol", "EV thread", "MGTOW thread" and the like are just trolls shitting in the thread and add nothing, if they think the thread is foolish why do they enter it?

I have only started probably a few dozen threads in my time here so this won't effect me but the thread shitters that post nonsense are so sickening.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 6:04:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I could see allowing members to lock or delete their own threads.    As far as banning people from your threads, why are you posting things on a public forum if you don't like dissenting opinions?    The issue gets back to how and when people should be locked or banned.
View Quote
It could be good,
Anyone trolling or trying to derail the thread can just be removed by the OP.

Double edge sword of sorts, but it could help keep trolls out of your OP.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 6:10:53 PM EDT
[#29]
This is simply a way for people to create their own groups.

While the business benefits through numbers, and the people become more divided furthering the lefts agenda.

Not much different than facebook.

Just stop fucking micromanaging people. Let them speak their fucking minds in the way they FEEL!

This used to be a joke...

Attachment Attached File

Now it actually gets filled out, pasted up to the high command, and ends up with a ban.. of people that have been here before it became a joke.

I almost said pick a side,... but I think a side was picked long ago.

Link Posted: 12/3/2021 6:11:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What color for quanons and krackens?

Or maybe instead of colors, have posts with slowly revealing background pictures!
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 6:14:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
My 2c: if we're stuck with this being tested out, they need to restrict it to users who have X number of years on the forum, good behavior, and make the thread starter's moderation actions subject to review via report button if they are abusing the power. 2-3 strikes, and you're out, pending review to consider having your OP thread mod powers restored.

If OPs get to be mini-thread mods, they should have standards.
View Quote

This.

Kind of like how new guys can post a pic & any member can delete it if it’s inappropriate. But if you do and it’s fine you’re the one that gets sanctioned.

Same thing should happen with OP locks. If an OP locks you for a COC violation, cool. If the OPs just being a dick, they get sanctioned.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 6:23:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Or maybe instead of colors, have posts with slowly revealing background pictures!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Qanons should have their posts transcribed into pseudo-random alphanumeric strings so we can all guess wtf they actually mean.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 6:34:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
As if having 20+ people “moderating” GD weren’t bad enough, now we’re going to have a half a million little micro-moderators.

Charming. Simply fuckin’ charming.
View Quote

I don't even have anyone on my ignore list. I can't see kicking someone out of a thread for something that the mods wouldn't kick them out themselves over.

Some people are just too fussy about the content of their threads. Once a person casts their thread to the winds mayhem is its only guide through the universe.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 6:37:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

This.

Kind of like how new guys can post a pic & any member can delete it if it’s inappropriate. But if you do and it’s fine you’re the one that gets sanctioned.

Same thing should happen with OP locks. If an OP locks you for a COC violation, cool. If the OPs just being a dick, they get sanctioned.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My 2c: if we're stuck with this being tested out, they need to restrict it to users who have X number of years on the forum, good behavior, and make the thread starter's moderation actions subject to review via report button if they are abusing the power. 2-3 strikes, and you're out, pending review to consider having your OP thread mod powers restored.

If OPs get to be mini-thread mods, they should have standards.

This.

This could work
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 6:38:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Can I ban penguins from my threads, or just humans?

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 6:39:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Locking threads will be great, especially for dupes.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 6:40:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Locking your own thread seems helpful.  Yes, it will be used by many to shut down shit storms.

I could see having some way to delete another member's post if it's nothing but hurling insults or something, but how in the heck would you keep someone from just deleting a member's post that disagrees with you?

The only thing I could see is that any member on your "Ignore" list would automatically be locked out through no requirement for you to do anything extra.
View Quote

But then you could figure out if you're on someone's ignore list and be a shit about it vs just mumbling to yourself in the corner wondering why no one responds to your earth-shattering post.

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 6:43:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Shitloads of people here want exactly that.  Let them have it.  There's no way to make the entire site an echo chamber and if they want to segregate themselves I'm all for it.  
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 6:52:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Meh, it could go either way, but why do you hate freedom GD?

Theres a been a few times Ive wanted to kick someone out of a thread. Not because they were giving good feedback or an opposing view vigorously, but because they were just being a dick.

This is GD. Ive been guilty many times of being overly snarky or a dick. If OP wanted to kick me it wouldve been justified.

Hell a PERFECT example would've been dave_a

I dont like echo chambers either. The reason Ive been here 20+ yrs is because of the discussion. The chan types are always amusing and dont really bother me, but there are those who genuinely degrade shit or just set out to purposfully disrupt, but its worse on the internets. I think its a good idea.

Link Posted: 12/3/2021 6:53:04 PM EDT
[#40]
I used to be a regular on forum that was set up the same way and it didn't seem to be a major problem.  Yeah, you'll get some babies that will edit opposing views, it didnt seem to happen too often.  Went it does, we need to hold them accountable and call them out. If they dont learn, block them and move on.

Can I change my fucking name already?
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 6:54:28 PM EDT
[#41]
One thing that just occurred to me, what about dupes?  

If I am first to start a thread about some newsworthy event like the Waukesha parade attack, do I get to determine who can discuss that event  by kicking people from my thread?  Or can someone else start their own thread about that event?  

It would also be helpful if we all agreed on some kind of shorthand for thread titles, like "Waukesha Parade Thread - Non-Commie Edition" and "Waukesha Parade Thread - True Non-Commie Edition" and "Waukesha Parade Thread - I'm Not A Commie, You're A Commie Edition"

You see where this is going.  
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 6:56:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Just post in your own locked threads where you kicked everyone else out.
View Quote

You bastard!!!! That was my plan!
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 7:00:55 PM EDT
[#43]
The appeals process for locked or banned members should be wide open. Part of the appeal process would automatically start a thread in it's own appeals forum (team) that only the person appealing and mod's/staff can post in so that everyone else can see and read the responses between them.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 7:09:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I used to be a regular on forum that was set up the same way and it didn't seem to be a major problem.  Yeah, you'll get some babies that will edit opposing views, it didnt seem to happen too often.  Went it does, we need to hold them accountable and call them out. If they dont learn, block them and move on.

View Quote

Uh, yeah. We're still waiting!!
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 7:09:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Mods will still come shit in your thread and troll.

Good luck kicking those sumbitches out.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 7:10:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
The appeals process for locked or banned members should be wide open. Part of the appeal process would automatically start a thread in it's own appeals forum (team) that only the person appealing and mod's/staff can post in so that everyone else can see and read the responses between them.
View Quote

And then a poll [as a jury] that shows voters names.

Kick your idea over here if you haven't already https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/A-suggestion-for-arfcom/5-2510001/?

Link Posted: 12/3/2021 7:12:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are allowed to switch with another member but not change to anything new.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 7:15:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Have thread ratings been abused?

View Quote

I still haven't even figured out what the ratings even do/are for. Where can one see how a thread is rated?
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 7:16:51 PM EDT
[#49]
whoever designs this forum needs to come out of the stone age. This forum is ancient. The search function is ridiculous and why is there no like button for comments like every other forum yet?
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 7:19:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Maybe they'll include people who you have on ignore can't post in your thread.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top