Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2010 4:00:31 PM EDT
Getting ready to pick up a '96 Dodge 3/4 ton 4x4 extended cab with 5-spd manual.  What's the general consensus on these trucks, and what should I expect?
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:03:18 PM EDT
[#1]
tag
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:09:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Great engine (because it's not dodge)
The problem is the truck wrapped around the engine.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:18:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Stuff you'll need to fix/update/modify

Google "Killer Dowel Pin"
Google "NV4500 lost 5th Gear"
Google  "96 Dodge Trac Bar Fix"

Beyond those things its a pretty solid engine, easily modified for more power, but you'll need to drop some coin on a new clutch to hold it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:24:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

+1

dieseltruckresource.com is your friend.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:31:23 PM EDT
[#5]
2nd post nailed it.

I own a 3500 with the 6 spd and Cummins.  160k on it now, nothing but a belt and water pump.  Jacked the power up and beat the hell out of it.  Still going strong.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:36:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Look up something called KDP(killer dowel pin) it should lead to a couple of cummins forums. Read up on it.Do the fix and your are good to go.These are great trucks.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:47:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Welding the nut on the mainshaft of your NV4500 is NOT a fix. Spend the  money on the updated shaft. Take care of the KDP and you are good to go.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:53:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:58:30 PM EDT
[#9]
http://www.cumminsforum.com/

Smarty Programmer.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:01:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Smarty Programmer.

i love my smarty
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:05:33 PM EDT
[#11]
you're good to go ...

"good motor bad truck" horseshit is just jealous ford / chevy owners

no truck is perfect ...

your truck will have a:

dana 60 front - largest front end ever in a truck (although this is a light version of that axle compared to the king pin 60's found in earlier ford/chevy/dodges)

dana 70 or 80 (largest rear ever in a truck although this has smaller axles than found in a ford 80)

np 241 hd transfer as good or better than found in other diesels of the time

transmission will be NV4500 - the best 5 speed ever made - no matter what brand it came in - 5th gear will literally vibrate loose again because of peoples tendency to use the abundant torque but there is a HUGE aftermarket available

good news is that you have the finest fuel pump ever on any diesel the P7100 ....

capable of a million miles ...

it is a mechanical pump originally found on much larger cummins - NO SMARTY HERE

it lubes with engine oil so you can run just about any oil through it as long as it's filtered and the motor keeps running (veggie oil, biodiesel ... etc)

as stated search kdp ...

get a membership on www.turbodieselregister.com

and you're in the same state as

http://www.garmonsdieselperformance.com/

one of the premium diesel shops in the country ...

even if you want to keep it stock these guys have forgotten more than any dealership mechanic, who has to work on whatever gas-diesel dodge crap that comes through the door, ever knew

many time you can go to a local diesel dyno event and they usually have a mechanic available to fix your kdp for a charity contribution

not that you would

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcLsrBjhM8M

but nice to know you could
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:05:35 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Smarty Programmer.

This.

I'm a member by the same screen name over there, but I'm 98.5-02 section.

The 5 speed puts you one up on the 47RE as far as longevity, but it has it's own issues. You have a leg up on us later model guys with the P-pump fuel pump, as opposed to our shitty lift pump.

Pic!

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:05:54 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Around here guys like to put stacks in their beds and take off from lights like they are drag racing, billowing out big black plumes.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:08:04 PM EDT
[#14]
205000 on mine.  It gets between 18.8 and 20 mpg.   Have the injectors and filters serviced and you'll be a happy bastard. .
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:17:00 PM EDT
[#15]
It's a 12 valve, which I'm assuming you already know, very minimal electronics, if any.  The 12-valve engine is basically the starting block for just about every competitive sled puller from the East Coast to the West Coast, that should give you some idea as to the reliability of it.  Fortunately, the 12 valve has the mechanical P-pump on it, instead of the 24-valve VP44, which is prone to failure (The VP44, not the P-pump).
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:21:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
you're good to go ...

no truck is perfect ...

your truck will have a:

dana 60 front - largest front end ever in a truck (although this is a light version of that axle compared to the king pin 60's found in earlier ford/chevy/dodges)

dana 70 or 80 (largest rear ever in a truck although this has smaller axles than found in a ford 80)

transmission will be NV4500 - the best 5 speed ever made - no matter what brand it came in - 5th gear will literally vibrate loose again because of peoples tendency to use the abundant torque but there is a HUGE aftermarket available

good news is that you have the finest fuel pump ever on any diesel the P7100 ....

it is a mechanical pump originally found on much larger cummins - NO SMARTY HERE

it lubes with engine oil so you can run just about any oil through it as long as it's filtered and the motor keeps running (veggie oil, biodiesel ... etc)

as stated search kdp ...

even if you want to keep it stock these guys have forgotten more than any dealership mechanic, who has to work on whatever gas-diesel dodge crap that comes through the door, ever knew

many time you can go to a local diesel dyno event and they usually have a mechanic available to fix your kdp for a charity contribution

not that you would

Speaking of Koolaid drinking fan bois.....
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:22:55 PM EDT
[#17]
I heard them were just worked over Chevy 350s.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:25:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:32:43 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Second post wins.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:37:58 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

you're good to go ...

no truck is perfect ...

your truck will have a:

as stated search kdp ...

not that you would

Couldn't have said any more if I wanted to.

I've got a '97 2500 4x4 5spd with near 300k on the clock.

Sits at 405hp/925ft. lbs. and gets a tick over 20 mpg on the highway.

A few mods though.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:40:58 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Seems to be the general consensus, they are really Fing loud engines too.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:45:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Seems to be the general consensus, they are really Fing loud engines too

Tell me about it, you have to turn the truck off at the drive thru...
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:12:16 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Quoted:

you're good to go ...
no truck is perfect ...
your truck will have a:
as stated search kdp ...
not that you would
Couldn't have said any more if I wanted to.
I've got a '97 2500 4x4 5spd with near 300k on the clock.
Sits at 405hp/925ft. lbs. and gets a tick over 20 mpg on the highway.
A few mods though.

I will concur with the quoted above, they are incredibly good trucks, I have owned 2 seperate 12 Valve trucks and you will be very hard pressed to find a more robust drivetrain / engine combination.
The motor is made of insanely thick "Ductile Iron' and it has the "million Mile" Bosch P7100 pump.
Unbelieveably easy to turn huge power with very little money.
Jason........You are so going to love that rig!

97 2500 Laramie RC - Fuel Plate - Delivery Valves - Marine Injectors -
AFE - 4 GSK - Full Suncoast Tranny - KDP Tabbed - 4.0 exhaust -Timing
Bumped - Leveled - Toyo MT-315's - Mojave's - Thuren Trac Bar - 3rd Gen
Steering System upgrade

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:25:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Seems to be the general consensus, they are really Fing loud engines too

Tell me about it, you have to turn the truck off at the drive thru...

Yeah but that's part of the charm

My truck has been awesome and I have had no problems with any of it. My only complaint would be leaking at the door seals.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:28:09 PM EDT
[#25]
What about the <'94 dodge diesel pickups, are they any good?
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:35:02 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

What about the <'94 dodge diesel pickups, are they any good?

89 to 93 dodge diesels had the same Cummins engine with a VE pump, they also had a kingpin D60 front axle and a leaf sprung suspension frt/rear.

They are very desired and very rarely seen for sale.

Link Posted: 9/16/2010 4:40:18 AM EDT
[#27]
I have a 2008 2500HD 4x4.  I love mine.  It pulls anything I ask it to with ease.  I pull my fifth wheel, goosenecks full of cattle, etc. and it allways steps up.  The factory exhast brake is nice when pulling trailers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top