Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/12/2007 12:26:12 AM EDT
So I go to my every 41 years check up at the doctors office and after mentioning the old man had a couple feet of colon removed he did something my wife still hasnt done..
he stuck his finger up my ass only to report that I had failed..   so on a virgin script pad he writes COLONOSCOPY blood detected, and refers me to a gastrop channel 2 stick a camera where they dont belong   Doctor. did I mention that he also prescribed a anti depressant to make me stop smoking? which has kept me stoned for the last 2 days?.
Monday I have to schedule the flight of the camera. so advice or exp is wanted...
Link Posted: 2/12/2007 12:29:06 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
he stuck his finger up my ass only to report that I had failed.

Sig line, ripe for the picking.
Link Posted: 2/12/2007 12:31:39 AM EDT
[#2]
You got a prostate massage and some drugs out of the deal and didn't even have to buy him dinner. What's the problem again?
Link Posted: 2/12/2007 12:33:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Man, if I were you I'd see about getting a new dentist. That's totaly un called for.
Link Posted: 2/12/2007 12:36:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/12/2007 12:37:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/12/2007 12:38:57 AM EDT
[#6]
I went to the doctor the other day and all he did was suck blood from my neck.

Never go to Dr. Acula!

Link Posted: 2/12/2007 12:39:14 AM EDT
[#7]
man i'm not looking forward to getting that done when i get older.  My dad was telling me about it, he had to have a camera down the throat and up the ass.  They asked which end he wanted first and he opted to swallow the camera....i would have told them to wait until I was out...i wouldn't want to know which end they would violate first
Link Posted: 2/12/2007 12:40:19 AM EDT
[#8]
I got a colonoscopy. the idea is not pleasant, but they drug you up so much you dont feel a thing and dont quite realize they are sticking a camera up your wazoo. You just see the inside of your colon on the TV and go" HEHE thats my colon LOL". At least i did. The drugs they gave me were supposed to put me to put me to sleep but i only fell asleep like 2 and a half hours after teh procedure. Being 17 at the time, i spent those 2.5hours mocking my dad and just being mean to him and looking at the pictures from my colon upside down and not realizing it. Damn codein
Link Posted: 2/12/2007 12:40:27 AM EDT
[#9]
I had that done 3 years ago; it's time for another. Ugh.

Actually, after, say, 40 years of age it's a good idea to have it done regularly. In my case, they found cause for (mild) concern: 3 polyps high in the colon, which have a 10% chance of becoming cancerous. They were removed, but now I have a regular once-every-3-years appointment with "Dr. Finger and His Wonderful Camera of Joy."
Link Posted: 2/12/2007 12:41:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/12/2007 12:42:55 AM EDT
[#11]
It looks like a big black alien embryo they are going to implant up your ass. In fact it is an Olympus camera on a flexible thin tube. No big deal.

Drink a gallon of stuff. Shit a lot.

Go to the doc get nekked.

Go under. Wake up and fart a lot.

Go out and eat a tasty meal.

End of story, God Willing.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/12/2007 12:45:20 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

After the colonoscopy the patient then was given the camera down the throat... the patient said "Doc, this camera tastes like shit"

"yeah well... due to budget cuts...."

Oh that was sick... Im going to bed.

How do you tell the difference between an oral and anal thermometer???
the taste
Link Posted: 2/12/2007 12:49:03 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
So I go to my every 41 years check up at the doctors office and after mentioning the old man had a couple feet of colon removed he did something my wife still hasnt done..
he stuck his finger up my ass only to report that I had failed..   so on a virgin script pad he writes COLONOSCOPY blood detected, and refers me to a gastrop channel 2 stick a camera where they dont belong   Doctor. did I mention that he also prescribed a anti depressant to make me stop smoking? which has kept me stoned for the last 2 days?.
Monday I have to schedule the flight of the camera. so advice or exp is wanted...

Here's my story on that...

My wife had one and had to have some polyps removed.  She started pestering me about having one around 40.  I told her I was gonna wait until 45.  At 50 I was going to wait until 55.  I had exactly no gastric trouble at all, no pain, regular every day, no problems at all.

I wanted to buy something expensive (I forget what now) and as part of the deal with the wife I agreed to get the procedure done.  I arrived at the hospital completely pissed off at the wife for wasting my time as well as the hospital testing for something that I surely didn't have.  The nurses just listened to my rants and went about their business.

After I awoke and talked to the Doc I expected to hear my evaluation of this as a waste of time to be confirmed and a big "I told you so" to the wife.  The Doc had pictures of my guts and said "Mr. Hopkins, you're a lucky man".  He pointed to something on the photo and said "That is a precancerous polyp.  I'm reasonably sure it isn't cancer yet, but I've sent it to the lab to make sure.  I can tell you that four years from now, if you hadn't come in, we would be having a completely different conversation right now."  When I explained how I never had any symptoms and the wife made me come in he said "You're the poster child for colon cancer.  By the time any symptoms of this disease show up it's mostly too late for us to do anything.  Most of the male patients I see are here only because their wives did the same to them that yours did to you".  The wife has never said "I told you so.".  Since they found something I was supposed to go back in three years for a retest.  It's been five and the wife's been bugging me again.

The hardest part is the night before.  You have to fast for about 24 hours and the Doc will prescribe something to "clean you out".  You will be hitting the throne every half hour for most of the evening.  The procedure itself is really fast and you won't remember a thing.
Link Posted: 2/12/2007 12:49:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Pretty thorough.  Sounds like somebody owes you a dinner.

Don't feel bad.  I like colonoscopies so much... I've had 6 in the last 7 years.  And I'm only 26.
Link Posted: 2/12/2007 12:55:16 AM EDT
[#15]
.after reading a bunch of google links  I guess id rather not [poop my pants{ like that astronaut gal.
Link Posted: 2/12/2007 1:42:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Now you know why his nickname is "Doc Knuckles".  
Link Posted: 2/12/2007 2:34:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Go get it.  Not a big deal.  Even the prep is not that bad.  In fact, after the "clean out", I felt like a million bucks.  Getting all the toxins out of your system is not a bad thing.  Test itself was a big non event.  Don't remember a thing about it.  In fact I don't even remember reading the literature they sent home with me as I ate lunch.  I had two polyps removed.  

Get it done and get it done now.  Just man up an do it.  If you have kids, it's a great way to help insure that you get to play with your grandkids.  Colon cancer usually never presents itself until  it is too late.  Having the test is a lot easier than getting the cancer.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2007 2:56:57 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Go get it.  Not a big deal.  Even the prep is not that bad.  In fact, after the "clean out", I felt like a million bucks.  Getting all the toxins out of your system is not a bad thing.  Test itself was a big non event.  Don't remember a thing about it.  In fact I don't even remember reading the literature they sent home with me as I ate lunch.  I had two polyps removed.  

Get it done and get it done now.  Just man up an do it.  If you have kids, it's a great way to help insure that you get to play with your grandkids.  Colon cancer usually never presents itself until  it is too late.  Having the test is a lot easier than getting the cancer.  

I can not agree more. I had 7 polyps removed and I'm only 36. Do it for your wife and kids if not for yourself.
Link Posted: 2/12/2007 2:57:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Remember, he probably likes sticking his finger up your but if anything even less than you like having his finger stuck up your butt.

Red blood is better than black blood, IIRC, because red blood generally doesn't mean cancer, whereas black blood is often related to cancer. But I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 2/12/2007 2:59:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Yep no big deal...Like everyone has said you wont remember a thing. Saved my life by doing so.

Coming down off the seditives is a funny experience.

Man up and bend over! hehe

Most likley the blood that was found is from a hemi...Pffft!
Link Posted: 2/12/2007 3:09:01 AM EDT
[#21]
I worked a deathe scene call several years ago where a guy bled out through his ass. It's no joke, and very messy. Hope it works out.
Link Posted: 2/12/2007 3:19:36 AM EDT
[#22]
You get someone else to watch out for your cornhole bud.
Link Posted: 2/12/2007 3:24:21 AM EDT
[#23]
It's no big deal.

I finally went after putting it off for a long time.

The doc started putting the probe up inside me while I was watching on the TV monitor.

It must have been making a turn or something because I groaned and the nurse moved the needle in my arm and that's all I remember until I woke up in the recovery area.

It was more interesting than anything to fear or be worried about.

Unless they puncture your intestine and then you are likely to get a communitiy drug resistant infection and die.
Link Posted: 2/12/2007 3:33:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Buy the biggest tub of unscented baby-wipes you can find at Walmart. Use them instead of TP, otherwise you'll end up with a chapped ass.

Also, just wear a bathrobe all day after taking the medicine to clean you out.  Having to drop your pants, etc, when the urge hits will not have good results.  It will feel like you're pissing out your butt by the end of it.

Quoted:
Remember, he probably likes sticking his finger up your but if anything even less than you like having his finger stuck up your butt.

Red blood is better than black blood, IIRC, because red blood generally doesn't mean cancer, whereas black blood is often related to cancer. But I could be wrong.
Black blood = bleed higher up in the GI tract (its black and tar-like because your digestive system has tried to process it), red blood = lower-down.

Kharn
Link Posted: 2/12/2007 3:56:38 AM EDT
[#25]
I've watched a few people I care about die from colon cancer. I'm not going to die that way. It runs in my family. I get tested regularly. The indignity of the test is worth it for the peace of mind.

The prep the night before is the worst part.

Plus you get to lay in the recovery area after it's over and rip off some really earth shaking farts.
Link Posted: 2/12/2007 4:23:19 AM EDT
[#26]
I am dreading the day I have to do that.
Link Posted: 2/12/2007 4:54:11 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Uh oh. He said colonoscopy.

Well my friend, apart from having them slide something WAY up your ass, it's really
no big deal. The junk they put you on for the procedure is actually kind of cool.

Makes you feel exceptionally wierd. Trust me.

Make sure you come back and file a Arfcom status report.

Pics are not necessary.

Anyway, best of luck. There's lot's of things that cause blood there that are no
big deal, so chances are you're fine.
Link Posted: 2/12/2007 5:19:02 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My wife had one and had to have some polyps removed.  She started pestering me about having one around 40.  I told her I was gonna wait until 45.  At 50 I was going to wait until 55.  I had exactly no gastric trouble at all, no pain, regular every day, no problems at all.

I wanted to buy something expensive (I forget what now) and as part of the deal with the wife I agreed to get the procedure done.  I arrived at the hospital completely pissed off at the wife for wasting my time as well as the hospital testing for something that I surely didn't have.  The nurses just listened to my rants and went about their business.

After I awoke and talked to the Doc I expected to hear my evaluation of this as a waste of time to be confirmed and a big "I told you so" to the wife.  The Doc had pictures of my guts and said "Mr. Hopkins, you're a lucky man".  He pointed to something on the photo and said "That is a precancerous polyp.  I'm reasonably sure it isn't cancer yet, but I've sent it to the lab to make sure.  I can tell you that four years from now, if you hadn't come in, we would be having a completely different conversation right now."  When I explained how I never had any symptoms and the wife made me come in he said "You're the poster child for colon cancer.  By the time any symptoms of this disease show up it's mostly too late for us to do anything.  Most of the male patients I see are here only because their wives did the same to them that yours did to you".  The wife has never said "I told you so.".  Since they found something I was supposed to go back in three years for a retest.  It's been five and the wife's been bugging me again.

The hardest part is the night before.  You have to fast for about 24 hours and the Doc will prescribe something to "clean you out".  You will be hitting the throne every half hour for most of the evening.  The procedure itself is really fast and you won't remember a thing.

+1x10^6

Listen well guys.  That stuff can kill you...IF you let it.
I had my first one at 50...just like they recommend.  I had one polyp that the doc burned out.  He told me its a "win-win".  If they find something (presupposing that you began the checkup program BEFORE you actually get the Big "C") he fixes it on the spot and you're good to go.  If they don't find anything, you're good to go.

After I got my "procedure" I started bugging the missus to go too.

My wife was reluctant but I talked her into going.  Well...guess what-NO symptoms...but she had a few pre-cancerous polyps and lesions.  He burned them out and she is fine.  Now she goes every three years.  So I asked the Doc...what if she had not had the procedure?  He told us that she would be dead by now.

Just do it!
Link Posted: 2/12/2007 5:24:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Very easy process.  You can start worrying when they tell you they want to stick the camera in your dick and check out your bladder.  Bad, bad.
Link Posted: 2/12/2007 5:31:24 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
most likely you have pockets in your colon, food collects there and thats what makes the blood,no big deal
Link Posted: 2/12/2007 5:58:37 AM EDT
[#31]
I actually work in the gastroenterology dep at my hospital. We knock over about 2 dozen colonoscopy and endoscopes a day. The farting that goes on in recovery at times is something to behold......

No laughing matter though - a lot of our patients don't get good news at the end.....

Link Posted: 2/12/2007 6:36:34 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Drink a gallon of stuff.

THAT and being hungry for a day is the only bad part.  The procedure is lights out.  Now don't let them talk you into a endosigmoidoscopy which is essentially the same thing (not quite as deep) without the anesthesia.  I get nausea thinking about a gallon of Colite and as a hypoglycemic I get sick from not eating for a day.  Demand a morning procedure so you don't have to spend the whole day hungry.  There is a pill prep that is much easier to take for me.  Be sitting on the pot when you drink the Ginger Ale.  It reacts with the pill like one of those volcanos you used to make in school with vinegar and baking soda. Ask the doc what the prep options are and choose wisely.  Some docs only allow one prep.  If it's Colite, I choose another doctor.

On the good side, the drugs are great and afterwards you can never imagine how good breakfast at House of Pancakes can be.  You will fart for a few hours, and the KY will make you think you've shit yourself, but have no fear, you ain't got no shit.  And however noisy, the farts smell like good air.
Link Posted: 2/12/2007 6:40:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Bullshit - I think its just some crazy shit the DR. community came up with. I will never let them do it . I don't want to live forever anyway.
I don't trust DR's any more than I trust LEO's or priest. A little notice is all I need.
Link Posted: 2/12/2007 7:01:49 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

SNIP ................................................

That women loves you.
Link Posted: 2/12/2007 7:34:41 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Bullshit - I think its just some crazy shit the DR. community came up with. I will never let them do it . I don't want to live forever anyway.
I don't trust DR's any more than I trust LEO's or priest. A little notice is all I need.

Link Posted: 2/12/2007 7:38:28 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I've watched a few people I care about die from colon cancer. I'm not going to die that way. It runs in my family. I get tested regularly. The indignity of the test is worth it for the peace of mind.

The prep the night before is the worst part....

Same here, and I totally agree it's worth it.

My grandfather and both of his brothers died of colorectal cancer.  Their sister was diagnosed with it when she was on her deathbed from heart disease.  It's a bad way to go.

The laxatives are a real drag, but it's kind of amusing chugging a can of Foster's Lager and having it blast out the back end within 15 minutes.  When that happens, you are good and prepped.
Link Posted: 2/12/2007 7:41:45 AM EDT
[#37]
The worst part of the Colonoscopy was the night before after i drank a gallon of laxative. Actually the test itself was a non event...I was out cold.

I had one last year at 49. They found 3 polyps, cut em out, no signs of malignancy...back in 2 years for another one...
Link Posted: 2/12/2007 7:44:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/12/2007 7:51:58 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Buy the biggest tub of unscented baby-wipes you can find at Walmart. Use them instead of TP, otherwise you'll end up with a chapped ass.

Will keep in mind when the spousal unit sends me in in 3 years.
Link Posted: 2/12/2007 7:56:26 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
No laughing matter though - a lot of our patients don't get good news at the end.....

Now that's funny.

As for a prostate exam, just make sure the doctor doesn't have both hands on your shoulders.
Link Posted: 2/12/2007 8:09:34 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Waited too long to get tested?

I shudder at the thought.......
Link Posted: 2/12/2007 8:15:11 AM EDT
[#42]
Its like paying for sex, only you don't get the sex
Link Posted: 2/12/2007 8:15:56 AM EDT
[#43]
This thread is worthless with out pics....................................
Never mind
Link Posted: 2/12/2007 8:27:51 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/12/2007 8:40:45 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SNIP ................................................

That women loves you.

Yea, I kind of like her too.
Link Posted: 2/12/2007 8:42:33 AM EDT
[#46]
Survival statistics on colon cancer - approximate.  If you wait until it matisizes, you have a real problem and the life expectancy is not good.  If you catch it before, the survival rate over 10 years is about 95%.  If you have the precancerous polyps removed, then follow up as often as they will schedule you, then you won't develop the cancer without finding it before it matistizes.

A great deal is made over the preps.  Basically, we humans are lazy.  If you don't want to do the preps, then don't eat for a week and you will be able to present yourself as empty.  BFD.  If you have the full up scope, you are out for the whole procedure, so what is the big deal, again?  

There is an inordinate fear of pain in connection with the procedure.

My response is very simple.  If I could get Kaiser to do the procedure more often, I would go in more often.  

At this point, because you have not gone in for inspection before, your doctor is being conservative.  If it turns out to be hemmoroids, the usual advice (often ignored unfortunately) is to stop using scented toilet paper and use dedicated wash clothes.  It is very delicate down there and using toilet paper is using an abrasive (even Charmin isn't good).  You will even be told to use towels only once and have to be shown how to wipe your rear (I'm sure that your mother did nothing other than change your diapers).
Link Posted: 2/13/2007 1:40:15 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
It looks like a big black alien embryo they are going to implant up your ass. In fact it is an Olympus camera on a flexible thin tube. No big deal.

Drink a gallon of stuff. Shit a lot.

Go to the Have someone take you to the doc get nekked.

Go under. Wake up and fart a lot.

Go out and eat a tasty meal.

End of story, God Willing.

Good luck.

They DO sedate you, so have someone else drive. I felt OK to drive after my first buttcam job, but that might have been post-sedation euphoria. I slept for 5 hours after the visit.
Link Posted: 2/13/2007 3:47:12 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Pretty thorough.  Sounds like somebody owes you a dinner.

Don't feel bad.  I like colonoscopies so much... I've had 6 in the last 7 years.  And I'm only 26.

Do you also find you are questioning your sexuality these days too???.....
Link Posted: 2/13/2007 4:08:49 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Man, if I were you I'd see about getting a new dentist. That's totaly un called for.

You owe me a can of Coke, a keyboard, and a desk blotter.
Link Posted: 2/13/2007 4:19:33 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Since they found something I was supposed to go back in three years for a retest.  It's been five and the wife's been bugging me again.

I don't mean to sound too much like your wife, but for God's sake get your ass in there and get the re-test!  Have you ever watched someone die of colon cancer?  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top