Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2011 11:35:05 AM EDT
How would you handle being told your job was over after next week and you get another job offer and you can start before the end of next week. What do you tell the new employer about why you didn't give the customary 2 weeks notice so they don't think you are going to just up and leave on them?

ETA - A new company is taking over the old job and bringing in their own people.
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 11:36:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Give them two weeks, go in for a couple days, then call in sick.

Link Posted: 6/23/2011 11:44:11 AM EDT
[#2]
In that situation I would just tell my boss I got a new job anf head to the new work place.
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 11:45:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Tell the day before the new job starts as you're walking out the door.
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 11:45:47 AM EDT
[#4]
They fired you. Screw them.
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 11:46:24 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

This.
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 11:46:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
How would you handle being told your job was over after next week and you get another job offer and you can start before the end of next week. What do you tell the new employer about why you didn't give the customary 2 weeks notice so they don't think you are going to just up and leave on them?

ETA - A new company is taking over the old job and bringing in their own people.

So... your boss tells you you aren't going to have a job any more, you get another offer, and think there'll be a problem by taking it?

Employers do not call past jobs and ask if you gave notice or kept to it.  They only know what you tell them.

In this case I'd tell the new employer, "I can start immediately if you like, because the old job is going away."  They'll understand that.

If you really want to finish out the old job, then tell the new employer you can start in two weeks.
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 11:47:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Tell your new employer the truth, that was easy....
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 11:51:06 AM EDT
[#8]
If you already have another offer on the table, then I wouldn't worry about it.

The time to give notice is when you can't/won't put up with your current employer any longer and are quitting prior to having something else lined up.  I can't ever remember calling for reference on someone I already decided to hire, but I damn sure would on someone who said "I can start tomorrow" because I want to know why they aren't currently working.
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 11:52:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Knowing me I would tell them "see ya" at the end of the day I got the other job offer.
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 11:53:14 AM EDT
[#10]
It's still the right thing to do, yes.  Give two weeks notice.

Maybe it won't matter.  But YOU did the right thing.
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 11:54:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
In that situation I would just tell my boss I got a new job anf head to the new work place.

Link Posted: 6/23/2011 11:55:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Depends.  You have any accumulated vacation time, etc that they will pay you if you give a notice?  If not, "notice my ass leaving".
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 11:55:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This- they know they are closing up, so why should they resent you for leaving for another job? You don't have to be a dick- just tell them you found another job that wants you to start ASAP.

Sometimes, honesty works just fine.
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 11:57:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Two weeks notice is customary, but in no way required.
Few employers would return the courtesy.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 11:59:00 AM EDT
[#15]

If new job WANTS me to start immediately, I would and wouldnt bring up any more discussion about it.  

If new job doesn't mind waiting the two weeks, I would give notice and then work my last two weeks.

(unless I have accrued vacation that will not be paid as a benefit for untaken days.... in which case I would give notice and then use up remaining vacation)

You don't owe your old job shit - they are shitting on you.  I'd feel free to speak openly about the situation with my new employer and let them make the decision easy for me.

Link Posted: 6/23/2011 12:02:14 PM EDT
[#16]
I gave two weeks notice upon leaving my previous job. The bottom line is that my seniority date at my present job is two weeks later than I would like it to be when bidding on jobs or requesting vacation time. I did it the old fashioned/honorable way and it bit me in the ass. I would do it different today. My two cents.
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 12:06:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I would tell the new employer that I was laid off.  There's no need for the customary 2 weeks if they tell you your being laid off anyway.  That's not "up and leaving on them"
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 1:52:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I would just tell potential employers that your employer had already given you notice that your position was eliminated, and you found a new opportunity that required you to start on insert date here.  And that in this economy, you really could not afford to miss out on this opportunity so you had no choice but to take the position.

However, I would talk to your current employer about ending your job sooner with management approval (think future references).   It is in their best interest since you would be eligible for unemployment which would raise their state rates if you collected.   I'm willing to bet they have no problem with this plan..    GL!
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 2:46:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Oh Good!  I thought I was missing something here.

Link Posted: 6/23/2011 3:01:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It's still the right thing to do, yes.  Give two weeks notice.

Maybe it won't matter.  But YOU did the right thing.

He was told he was being let go, he owes his old company the same consideration they gave him.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top