Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2008 8:25:28 PM EDT
And I don't just mean the delicious ones.

What I mean is, do you have a respect for living things?  Do you reserve hunting to animals that you eat or animals whose populations must be controlled for some reason or another?

OR

Do you kill non-vermin animals needlessly?  Do you hunt simply because some animals, any animals, are reactive targets for sport?

Let me say that I hunt deer from time to time, as I love venison.  I would like to hunt wild hogs because evidently in these parts wild hog sausage is like none other.  

But once in a while, I will find a garden spider in my sink, or a lizard who ventured into the house on accident, and I will pick up those little guys and place them back into the yard.  I take care to see them safely back to their habitats because I think animals like these can do some good.  Spiders eat biting flies and other pests, and lizards eat roaches.  That's just an example, but for the most part, I like animals and wildlife of all kinds and prefer to let them go their own way, and if one happens to make it in the house, I simply put him out.

What do you think?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:27:15 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
And I don't just mean the delicious ones.

What I mean is, do you have a respect for living things?  Do you reserve hunting to animals that you eat or animals whose populations must be controlled for some reason or another?

OR

Do you kill non-vermin animals needlessly?  Do you hunt simply because some animals, any animals, are reactive targets for sport?

Let me say that I hunt deer from time to time, as I love venison.  I would like to hunt wild hogs because evidently in these parts wild hog sausage is like none other.  

But once in a while, I will find a garden spider in my sink, or a lizard who ventured into the house on accident, and I will pick up those little guys and place them back into the yard.  I take care to see them safely back to their habitats because I think animals like these can do some good.  Spiders eat biting flies and other pests, and lizards eat roaches.  That's just an example, but for the most part, I like animals and wildlife of all kinds and prefer to let them go their own way, and if one happens to make it in the house, I simply put him out.

What do you think?

I respect animals and love pets. Without the meat of the animals around us our ancestors would have had a hard time finding food. I believe that animals should only be hunted for population control and to prevent people from being killed by them. Especially mooses they are the most dangerous. i saw that on MANswers.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:27:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Only thing I kill is cats.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:27:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't hunt.

I kill animals that violate my senses in some manner.  (insects, mice, snakes, etc. that attack me or otherwise trespass)

ETA:  The only animal that requires "thinning of the herd" or "population control" is Homo Sapiens Sapiens.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:28:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Flies die, spiders get evicted.  If I ever found a cockroach in the house, that would die.

Any vertebrate lives unless it's a rattlesnake.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:28:19 PM EDT
[#5]
No, they're a pain.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:28:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I have respect for all living things. Only kill that which is necessary for survival whether it be food or defense, we as humans can take life but can not create it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:29:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I hate rabbits and little varmints who eat my grass and poop on it.  I am just protecting my property in killing them.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:29:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I like animals. I love my pets. I kill for food, population control and nuisance.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:32:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I love spotlighting rabbits.  I'd like to try spotlighting hogs, if I can ever find a place to do it.

Mixed.  I enjoy hunting and shooting animals for sport, but a pet (yours or mine) or a pet-type animal like a stray dog or cat.  No.  I've shot strays because they looked really pathetic but I didn't take any enjoyment in doing it.

eta: I guess I'm the first in the thread to admit to enjoying the visceral act of killing.

Flame on.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:34:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I believe all life has value and will not kill anything without a good reason, such as conservation, food, or because the damn mosquitoes are trying to eat me.

My girlfriend always gets pissed when I carry spiders outside rather than squishing them.

I have a couple good buddies who murder rabbits and squirrels with shotguns and leave them to rot.  Pisses me off to no end.

I'm not sure what offends my sensibilities more... murdering (using the verb "shooting" implies skill is required) a land animal with a shotty, or the wanton waste and destruction.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:34:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I kill non-domesticated animals if at least one of the following two conditions are met:

1. They're edible and I am hungry.

2. They are inside my house and unwanted, and they have the ability to harm me.

Otherwise, I let them be.  I have no problem with pets and other domestic animals.  I don't go out of my way to kill or injure things; I don't enjoy it.  Make no mistake, I can and have killed plenty of living things - but I'd rather stick to shooting soda cans.  

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:38:05 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I believe all life has value and will not kill anything without a good reason, such as conservation, food, or because the damn mosquitoes are trying to eat me.

My girlfriend always gets pissed when I carry spiders outside rather than squishing them.

I have a couple good buddies who murder rabbits and squirrels with shotguns and leave them to rot.  Pisses me off to no end.

I'm not sure what offends my sensibilities more... murdering (using the verb "shooting" implies skill is required) a land animal with a shotty, or the wanton waste and destruction.

Yeah.  You want to catch whatever parasite those rats are carrying, feel free to eat them.  It isn't a "waste" to shoot rabbits.  Rabbits are a pest that breeds... well, like rabbits.  They devour crops and are generally good for nothing.

And they don't rot.  Scavengers eat their carcasses.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:39:34 PM EDT
[#13]
No needless/senceless killing here.

Quoted:
............., we as humans can take life but can not create it.

We cant?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:39:54 PM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:40:25 PM EDT
[#15]
ask Ranger Moore and wait for him to flip out again...
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:41:17 PM EDT
[#16]
I like animals better than most people

Unless its a self defense, or food thing I dont bother them.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:42:20 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah.  You want to catch whatever parasite those rats are carrying, feel free to eat them.  It isn't a "waste" to shoot rabbits.  Rabbits are a pest that breeds... well, like rabbits.  They devour crops and are generally good for nothing.

And they don't rot.  Scavengers eat their carcasses.

I feel the same way about squirrels.  Just pretty tree-rats, as far as I am concerned.  My AO is very much against hunting, so there tends to be large numbers of fat, tame squirrels running around.  They damage property and are just a general nuisance.  I can't believe that squirrels are actually considered a "game animal".  
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:43:26 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I do the same thing when all possible, Spiders control the overall insect population (even the disease bearing species).

So, I respect them.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:45:05 PM EDT
[#19]
I like animals. I breed reptiles. I have friends that work with big cats and apes.

I don't kill spiders in my house. That is only because I don't see the point. I kill 50 spiders and next week there will be 50 more. I have walked through my woods shooting spiders with my .22 because I didn't feel like walking through webs that day. The following week geuss what? More spiders.

I will hunt for food and shoot for population control. I also think that feral animals should all be shot because I care about the native ones. (No cats loose on my property.)

I think that all animals should be given proper care if you own them. Possibly better care than you give yourself. What I mean by that is If you only eat once a week because that is all you can afford then you should not have a pet dog because it should be cared for better than that.  

In the end though animals are animals. Harming a dog or even a bald eagle is not the same as harming a person.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:46:14 PM EDT
[#20]
I love to eat em.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:48:37 PM EDT
[#21]
I haven't be able to kill animals for fun since I was like 12. I used to go BB gun hunting all over the woods near my house, and shoot anything that moved. This one time I blasted this little tweety bird in the face. It's beak was entirely gone, and the only thing left was its tongue. I walked over to it, and the scene devastated me for some reason, I don't know why but I buried the bird, then I took an oath that I would never kill an animal, unless in self-defense or for food. Interesting self resolutions you come to as a child out playing alone in woods.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:51:48 PM EDT
[#22]
I kill any venomous animal or bug I can. Their life is not worth a hospital visit for me or my loved ones.

I also relish shooting gophers and the like as reactive targets. So far, I have only shot them on property where the owner invited me to do so because they were destructive to the landowner's property and hazardous to their livestock.

However, I would consider recreationally shooting prairie dogs. I scouted a decent sized town out a few weeks ago. I just need to get my .204 dialed in. The shots are way out of reach of .22lr and I don't have a "precision" AR15 to use .223

In contrast, my two dogs are like members of the family. I love them. Also, I like to feed the hummingbirds around the house as well.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:52:51 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Do you reserve hunting to animals that you eat or animals whose populations must be controlled for some reason or another?

This.

Although I can't deny that I have enjoyed the time I have removed problem animals (rabbits, coyotes, snakes, etc.).

I shoot snakes on sight. Don't care what type, don't like 'em, not going to let some kid get bit by a poisonous snake because I didn't kill it when I had the chance.

I'd rather shoot some people on this planet than shoot an animal for sport. Really, I'd feel absolutely no remorse upon shooting a terrorist, but I'd feel a little remorse for blindsiding Bambi from a few hundreds yard out.

I'd also like to mention I have no problem with those who do enjoy hunting just for sport. It serves a purpose.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:52:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Fuckin' doubletaps.

Must've filed a little too much off.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:56:57 PM EDT
[#25]
I used to shoot anything I could as long as it was legal
as I got older hunting for entertainment  does not really appeal to me anymore

do not hunt anymore but I will destroy vermin if it is a problem

If you wanna shoot it and it is legal I could care less for what you like to do
I just wish more  "hunters" could fall into this thinking about other peoples hobbies
because face it modern hunting is just tht a hobby for 99% of us out there  

I too usually avoid killing small predators spiders mantis etc
but pests mice roaches whatever are fair game
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:59:27 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I like animals. I love my pets. I kill for food, population control and nuisance.

This sums up my view on the subject as well.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:00:01 PM EDT
[#27]
I like critters, but I'm too lazy to keep one.  Even a small cat was a lot of work for me and she was pretty low maintenance.  My job was to lay still and be a warming pad for her to sleep on.  At least she let me know my place in my own house.

BTW, I'll set spiders free (let them out of the house) but I'll kill anything else.  I won't kill a bird for fun and haven't killed a city pigeon in years (though I've well over a score to my credit).  
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:06:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Depends on how I'm feeling. As far as intruding house insects go, I kill them if they do anything stupid (buzz around annoyingly, go near food, or are just too damn ugly), but if they are useful (like spiders) I may just let them live, or kill them anyways, like I said, depends on what mood I'm in. They are trespassers, and I have justification to do it.

There are vermin who serve no purpose and need to be killed, ie groundhogs, which create holes in land, potentially injuring people and animals. These rascals, like squirrels, are simply fun targets. Same goes for pests like raccoons, and unlucky bastards born so ugly I just don't like them, like possums.

OTOH, I think killing large game and not eating it is wasteful and shows lack of respect for mother nature. These larger animals do serve a purpose of food, and its necessary to fulfill your end of the bargain by eating them. If you won't eat them, or don't know anyone who will, don't kill them.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:07:42 PM EDT
[#29]
I won’t kill anything needlessly. I’ll only kill for food. I relocate all the bugs I find in the house, I don’t feel the need to end life just because I can. I love all animals, including spiders, scorpions, and snakes.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:45:44 AM EDT
[#30]
I will kill anything that invades my home. Mice, flies, ants, intruders!

I will kill a coyote if it damages my property.  For the most part I will only kill what I will eat. Otherwise its free to live outside my house.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:01:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Back when I was young and roamed the woods with a .22 LR or .30 carbine my motto was "if it flies it dies, if it crawls it falls."

Now days I don't really hunt much and throw most fish back.  I guess I grew out of it or something.  But then I have always been pretty interested in wildlife in general.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:17:08 AM EDT
[#32]
I love animals. And respect them.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:20:02 AM EDT
[#33]
Lemme see, I have five dogs that share the bed with me and Ms. Coz.

I have two bird feeders that feed tons of birds and squirrels  and even deer eat the corn that spills out of the feeders when the insance squirrels jump on it.

I make sure and throw the pears that fall inside my fence, over the fence for the two rabbits, tons of squirrels and deer that eat them.

I buy two 50lb bags of deer corn every week or so and make sure there is corn for the deer that live around me on my 3 acres.

I let a 5.5 foot Texas Rat snake get out of the way while I was mowing.

I do, however, kill wasps all the time. I have gotten to where I only kill black widow spiders, (17 in the last 12 months, but who is counting?) I make my dogs leave toads and other frogs alone and put them over the fence.

I have "animal Friendly" license plates.

That being said, I love deer meat but the bride doesn't. However, if the shit hits the fan, I have doves, deer, squirrels, and rabbits who all think I'm Dr. Doolittle, so we'll eat good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top