Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2006 6:51:14 PM EDT
Do we have the ammo, bombs, and other war supplies to fight in Iraq, Iran? China? insert other?teh Zombies
Not trying to troll here just wondering.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:53:53 PM EDT
[#1]

As long as the ships keep coming from china we will have everything we could ever need or want........all is well......sleep......
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:54:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Let's hope our credit is good with IMI

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:56:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Nope.  China is supplying our munitions industry.

EVERBODY PANIC!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:57:38 PM EDT
[#4]
no but we can find the money to rebuild the levees in New Orleans.....

No source is unlimited...
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:59:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Keep in mind, our soceity is not anywhere NEAR wartime production.

In WWII we had steel pennies, food & gas ration stamps, saved bacon grease for explosives, and grew backyard vegetable gardens for the war effort. Granted our current population is a Ben & Jerry's- eating, coddled pile of shit that makes me ashamed of what our fathers/grandfathers died for... but if properly "motivated" we could probably produce enough war material for war w. China.  The thing is that "we" are too fucking soft and unwilling to invest in freedom, let alone on a campaign that is extremely unpopular.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:00:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Considering that in predeployment training for Somalia I was firing TOW missiles from the 1970's, yes.

We have huge stockpiles of many items.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:02:11 PM EDT
[#7]
My present long shares this week, bank on it. "if we don't have them, we will"
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:08:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

In WWII we had steel pennies, food & gas ration stamps......

Yeah, but back in those days, America use to actually build (its own) things.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:09:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I guess if we built laser or GPS guided packages for old dumb bombs instead of building them into new ones when we get around to the new ones they should be pretty old. Right??
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:11:08 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm sure China would build our stuff for us, maybe tiawan could ship our stuff uber secret past the Chinese blockade.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:18:26 PM EDT
[#11]
It is tough, we hardly make many consumer products in the USofA.

Uncle Sam has stockpiled much of this materials in the days of yore, but there is a limit.  In the JIT environment of today where no body stockpiles anything, where nothing is made until there is a firm order, it will take twice as long to get anything done.  Uncle Sam could quite conceiveable want to buy our personal stockpiles Winchester Q3131A and Federal XM193 and make a public appeal in a super-emergency, and of course there will a premium.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:20:32 PM EDT
[#12]
It is likely that we are using some .50Cal that is atleast 50 or 60 years old in Iraq right now.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:23:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Can't believe no one has said this yet.

If they run out, they'll just come to us for more
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:24:37 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In WWII we had steel pennies, food & gas ration stamps......

Yeah, but back in those days, America use to actually build (its own) things.

Yeah, we just need to build the manufacturing plants first

Reminds me of a show on the History Channel (maybe Discovery) about theStrategic Air Command and its role during the cold war.  The one thing that stuck with me was the statement that at the height of the cold war, combat readiness (all aspects) was 15 minutes.  We were geared and in 15 minutes, the B-52s would be wheels up and on their way.  The show claimed that had dropped to aound 4 years to have the same readiness (again, all aspects -production, etc.).  This was in the mid to late 90s.  I don't imagine it has improved any.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:25:53 PM EDT
[#15]
We used to can our own fruit and had a large store of it back in the day. My grandparents and my parents had large gardens that I remember working in. My parents still have a garden and still plant it every year and even make their own wine. We have enough food to live for a time but I wish the U.S.A would bring its manufacturing back home. More jobs for us and the knowhow would not be lost.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:32:47 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Do we have the ammo, bombs, and other war supplies to fight in Iraq, Iran? China? insert other?teh Zombies
Not trying to troll here just wondering.

Nope.  We(USA), must genetically engineer a "Zombie Army" to fight without weapons. In theory, we can make an unlimited suplly.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:23:33 PM EDT
[#17]
I drove through Hawthorne Nevada once.

Let me set the stage for you. Once I drove through another (of hundreds) valley on a cross country trip. I crested a hill and saw the highway drop into the valley, make a curve and go through a  set of hills. I did a little bit of range estimating and figured I'd be through that visible stretch of highway in about 3 minutes. I checked the clock and odometer and about 10 minutes later realized just how badly I'd called it.

Back to Hawthorne. Nevada is one set of valleys after another, probably 20-30 from range to range. Imagine being in one of those valleys, and dotting the valley floor for miles is a checkerboard of bunkers.

Now, take into account that BRAC just tried to close that base because they no longer need it.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:39:51 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
It is likely that we are using some .50Cal that is atleast 50 or 60 years old in Iraq right now.

True. But we are buying ammo from outside the USA to supply the troops. It is not a good sign when we can't produce enough ammo for this little war.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:55:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:06:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:16:55 AM EDT
[#21]
We have multiple sites that are not much more than thousands of acres of storage bunkers like these:

Which upon closer inspection are this size:

And are full of all kinds of munitions from 5.56 m885 to these:

We won't run out of just stores for many moons...let alone ramping up our production of new munitions.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:02:45 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

True. But we are buying ammo from outside the USA to supply the troops. It is not a good sign when we can't produce enough ammo for this little war.

That's because Clinton closed all the other ammo plants.  And apparently the owners of Lake City (and/or the government) are unwilling to add to the size of that plant.  
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:05:38 AM EDT
[#23]
There are some items, such as small arms ammo that are in short supply, last year at annual training I noticed our M16 blanks were from Israel and  Canada, and the 9mm ammo from winchester was only 6 months old.

The armhy has taken steps to ramp up production and supply should meet demand shortly.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:09:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:21:51 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

That's because Clinton closed all the other ammo plants.  And apparently the owners of Lake City (and/or the government) are unwilling to add to the size of that plant.  

The US Army owns Lake City and Production and the Grounds are managed by Alliant Tech Systems.
Lake City like TCCAP is dman near 70 years old, and the Equipment is damn near as old.  I think ATK would be better served if they ramped up a few new production lines at Federal Cartridge. Federal has newer buildings and a non-union work force

Clinton signed off on a lot of  contracts  right after he was innaugerated <sp>, I worked for ATK at TCCAP the time and the job I was working on was killed by one of his campaign promises as well as most of the projects at TCAAP

Also on that note, ATK did move a lot of jobs that were not cut, out of Minnesota because of high labor costs and the Union. Teamsters Local 1145 is no friend of ATK or its employees.

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:26:30 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The US Army owns Lake City and Production and the Grounds are managed by Alliant Tech Systems.
Lake City like TCCAP is dman near 70 years old, and the Equipment is damn near as old.  I think ATK would be better served if they ramped up a few new production lines at Federal Cartridge. Federal has newer buildings and a non-union work force

Clinton signed off on a lot of  contracts  right after he was innaugerated <sp>, I worked for ATK at TCCAP the time and the job I was working on was killed by one of his campaign promises as well as most of the projects at TCAAP

Also on that note, ATK did move a lot of jobs that were not cut, out of Minnesota because of high labor costs and the Union. Teamsters Local 1145 is no friend of ATK or its employees.

What is TCAAP?

As reported on this forum a few months back, the US government has a emergency order for ammo from IMI.  The US govt is paying IMI a premium to interrup their normal production for schedule for their order of ammo.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:29:26 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

What is TCAAP?

As reported on this forum a few months back, the US government has a emergency order for ammo from IMI.  The US govt is paying IMI a premium to interrup their normal production for schedule for their order of ammo.

TCAAP is Twin City Army Arsenal Plant
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top