Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2002 6:07:35 PM EDT
Was watching a news clip on tv this morning.  Seems here in Minnesota, a senators son shot and killed a classmate during a photo session for a photography class.
The reporter said "He was posing with the gun, when it went off, hitting the girl in the left eye."
Seems to me, guns don't "go off", people shoot them.  I have probably two dozen firearms, and have been around firearms for 30 yrs, and I have yet to see one just "go off".  Every Single Time one has fired, it has been because someone pulled the trigger.
The media, in a very subtle way, is trying to blame this on the gun, and take the blame off the idiot that shot that poor girl... and you and I are feeling the brunt.  My two cents.  Spray.
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 6:09:52 PM EDT
[#1]
According to Big Media they do!
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 6:09:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 6:12:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Do guns "Go Off"?
View Quote

Yes, when you pull the trigger they do.  I don't understand it either.  The guy pointed a gun at the girl's head then pulled the trigger.  Why isn't he in jail charged with murder?z
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 6:18:28 PM EDT
[#4]
He is.
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 6:45:23 PM EDT
[#5]
My guns go off at random intervals- every time I pull the trigger!

BUDADUMP-CHISH! (Drum/symbol crash)
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 7:13:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Q: Do guns "Go Off"?

A: Only when you heat them in the oven.
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 8:12:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I get really annoyed when I read that phrase "the gun went off". It is an attempt to put the blame on an inanimate object, much like when someone rams his/her car through a store window and claims that the brakes failed.
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 8:31:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Ummmm, I hate to disagree but firearms are mechanical devices and mechanical devices sometimes break.

Someone just recently posted they had an ND. Explaining that when they chambered a round in their bolt gun, r/hand working bolt, l/hand on forefrip. The weapon fired when the round went into the chamber.

There are also a whole bunch of bolt guns that fire when the saefty is deactivated. They are older guns and apperently the is some wear/metal/design problem with the safety.

Having said that, was the gun "cleared" prior to the incident?? Why was he pointing it at a person? Where was his "finger"??

Most likely this is entirely operator error, I just wouldn't be sure that the gun was operating at 100%, right off the bat.
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 8:38:03 PM EDT
[#9]
heck yes they do! they also pick locks on gun cabinets to break free and run amuck in the streets, thats why we need more gun laws!

[stick]
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 8:42:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 8:45:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I agree with WOLFPACK.  I was with him.  He SQUEEZED THE TRIGGER, and the gun went off.
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 12:04:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Definitely there is a multi-witness account of a Glock going off as a round was chambered -- no trigger-pull.

And numerous people have reported Remington rifles (pre-1982 models) going off when the safety was manipulated:

[url]http://www.remington.com/Safety_Modification_Program/remington_safety.htm[/url]

If the right piece of metal broke under tension, a gun could go off on its own. I don't know if this happens every 100 years, or 10, or what. It's possible, not likely.
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 12:13:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Definitely there is a multi-witness account of a Glock going off as a round was chambered -- no trigger-pull.[url]

Really? I have been selling these things for years and NEVER heard of anything like this? Do you have any links to news article/First hand accounts? Or is this Bullshit as usual?
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 12:16:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Maybe he tried posing for the camera like they do in the movies with his finger on the trigger. Then some how when he touched the trigger, "it went off" . go figure
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 1:09:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Definitely there is a multi-witness account of a Glock going off as a round was chambered -- no trigger-pull.
View Quote

Really? I have been selling these things for years and NEVER heard of anything like this? Do you have any links to news article/First hand accounts? Or is this Bullshit as usual?
View Quote

Scroll down to "One Possible Scenario Behind the 1992 'Product Upgrade' Announcement":

[url]http://communities.prodigy.net/sportsrec/glock/gz-gupgrade.html[/url]
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 6:58:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Why was the gun loaded in class in the first place??[>:/]
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 7:15:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Yeah capitalist, I'd like to know that one!

I've had one ND. Here's what happened: I was getting ready to shoot, safety is on. I chamber a round into my Marlin 25N. I *think* I take off the safety, but it kinda goes in between safe and fire. I attempt to pull the trigger (thinking it is on fire), and nothing happens. I sit up (I was in prone) and realize that the safety is in between safe and fire. I put the safety position to "fire" and the gun discharges. My stupid fault.
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 7:27:43 AM EDT
[#18]
I had an old Springfield that I was sighting in one day. I had chambered a round and laid the gun on the bench. While adjusting the spotting scope, I knocked the table and it went off.

I no longer use that rifle.

I also used to own a Marlin .22 which from time to time would fire a burst of three rounds with one trigger pull. Great for gopher shooting but very illegal.
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 12:04:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
View Quote
If you want a first-hand account, here's mine: with my finger off the trigger I inserted a magazine, then racked the slide and it slam-fired.
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 12:15:09 PM EDT
[#20]
that what happens  when someone does not practice the gun safety rules
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 4:50:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Heck yes they do! they also pick locks on gun cabinets to break free and run amuck in the streets...!
View Quote

Absolutely right!  I left my safe unlocked one night... I caught all my handguns and rifles sneaking back in the house at 7am, all with alcohol and Hoppes #9 on their breath!  More laws are needed!
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 8:54:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If you want a first-hand account, here's mine: with my finger off the trigger I inserted a magazine, then racked the slide and it slam-fired.
View Quote
That bums me out because there's no safe direction in my house to point the Glocks when I'm loading them.
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 10:39:05 PM EDT
[#23]
I have heard to many stories about glocks having problems to believe there all lies and bull. I don't need the remorse nor the expense find out that the one I own is problematic. They belong in DENIAL. Steel breaks plastic.

Link Posted: 4/21/2002 10:40:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Please help us prove that guns cause crime by monitoring the following camera. Contact us immediately if you see it doing anything the least bit suspicious!

[img]http://www.handguncontrolinc.org./SW_M36_CheifSpecial.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 10:54:00 PM EDT
[#25]
That gun is saying stuff to advocate that I commit crimes. Suspicious.
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 11:06:11 PM EDT
[#26]
And numerous people have reported Remington rifles (pre-1982 models) going off when the safety was manipulated:

[url]http://www.remington.com/Safety_Modification_Program/remington_safety.htm[/url]
View Quote

This is true, my head almost disapeared last year because of this.  After a succesful deer hunt my dad and I were getting ready for the drive home.  We each started unloading our rifles, and my dad had his pointed in my direction (inside the cab of a pick-up there is only so much room) but thankfully he remembered good safety and pointed it up before flicking the safety to position two. (trigger locked, bolt can move)  A spring or something apparently had broken that day and releasing the safety let the firing pin slam home on a live one.  Ever hear a 7mm remington mag go off inside a pick-up cab?  Punched a beutiful hole in the roof too.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 6:13:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Why was the gun loaded in class in the first place??[>:/]
View Quote

I agree, they need to position clearing barrels in front of the classroom doors....[;D]
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 6:27:00 AM EDT
[#28]
YES THEY DO WITH SOME HELP!
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 6:32:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Guns go off just like trucks drive around and knives cut people.

My computer posted this.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 6:40:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Usually when a firearm discharges unintentionally and injures someone, whether from a mechanical failure or user error, the casualty can be readily attributed to the user failing to practice proper safety procedures. An action by the user seems to ALWAYS initiate the discharge, whether it be racking the slide, manipulating the safety or bolting the rifle.  The lesson here is that the rifle should always be pointed in a reasonably safe direction (certainly not at someone or where someone is likely to be behind a thin wall) when you manipulate any control on a firearm.

Question:  WTF was the kid doing handling a loaded rifle for a photo session?  Right there he's wrong.

The kid is guilty of manslaughter...in what degree is up to the judge and jury to decide.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 7:12:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Yeah, they go off! One of mine went off to live with a friend of mine, I wish I had it back.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 7:29:25 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
heck yes they do! they also pick locks on gun cabinets to break free and run amuck in the streets, thats why we need more gun laws!

[stick]
View Quote

And these are the same yo-yo's that want Smart Guns.. my god arn't Dumb Guns bad enough? They just "go off" when pointed at people, but we know which gun did it. But now that Sig will be able to plot its kill and blame it on the Glock. I ask you, do we really want Smart Guns? I know I dont. I dont want to worry about mine plotting my murder!

[Peep]
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 7:33:22 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is true, my head almost disapeared last year because of this.  After a succesful deer hunt my dad and I were getting ready for the drive home.  We each started unloading our rifles, and my dad had his pointed in my direction (inside the cab of a pick-up there is only so much room) but thankfully he remembered good safety and pointed it up before flicking the safety to position two. (trigger locked, bolt can move)  A spring or something apparently had broken that day and releasing the safety let the firing pin slam home on a live one.  Ever hear a 7mm remington mag go off inside a pick-up cab?  Punched a beutiful hole in the roof too.
View Quote

and you can still hear?
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 7:43:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Some years back, around 1978 I think, I had a Remington 600 discharge when I manipulated the safety to unload the gun.  I had the muzzle pointed in a safe direction and nobody was injured.  My father, an unreasonable man at times, refused to believe that I did not touch the trigger.  He emphasized this lesson on truthfulness and gun safety by giving me a rather sharp punch in the mouth.
Guns occasionally do discharge due to mechanical failure.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 7:54:08 AM EDT
[#35]
I get on free hole-in-the-wall ND, the rest cost. [;)]  Grandfather put one in the roof of a trailer when he was disasmbleing a luger, at one point the firing pin can/will drop while your taking it apart. he forgot to clear the chamber. New AC vent in the roof. my father did one when he was clearing the chamber on a rifle. when he pulled on the bolt he tightend his grip and touched off the trigger. when throuth the wall of his room in a trailer and into the neighbors, noone was home at the time. no injuries either time. so i get one freebie ;)

oh my grandfather was very displeased with his young son (16-18 at the time i think) until grandmom reminded him about the luger in the roof.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 12:54:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Some years back, around 1978 I think, I had a Remington 600 discharge when I manipulated the safety to unload the gun.  I had the muzzle pointed in a safe direction and nobody was injured.  My father, an unreasonable man at times, refused to believe that I did not touch the trigger.  He emphasized this lesson on truthfulness and gun safety by giving me a rather sharp punch in the mouth.
Guns occasionally do discharge due to mechanical failure.
View Quote
I believe you dude, sorry you got punched.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 1:19:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Guess ya didn't forget it! Just playin around of course...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top