Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/27/2001 9:09:09 PM EDT
In the time I've been reading AR15.com I've noticed that many posters here are knowledgeable about cars and automotive maintenence.  Not just simple stuff like how to change a tire, but also how to perform serious overhaul work, and talk classic muscle cars.  I've been working on a '71 Chevelle SS for a while and have been interested in cars and guns for as long as I can remember.  I think the parallel is the mechanical nature of both.  So, I was kind of wondering who here is just as much a car buff as he/she is a gunaholic.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 9:19:18 PM EDT
[#1]
somewhat goes hand in hand
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 9:32:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 9:40:45 PM EDT
[#3]
'71 Chevelle SS....coooooool!

[i]***dreams of a Holley dual plane aluminum hi-rise intake sandwiched between a double-pumper and a 454 big block start dancing through my head***[/i]

Oh wait...did I tip my hand that I like cars and guns?
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 10:42:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Do cars and guns go together?????  Hey Bro,,,,,,,haven't you heard of drive by shooting, armored cars, police cars, pintle mounted belt-feds are perfect for jeeps and trucks.  They made the windows roll down so you don't have to shoot thru the glass.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 12:01:33 AM EDT
[#5]
As for me to do ...If my money's not going to the local gun shop,it's going in the cars....
My day to day driver is a 1969 chevy C/10 truck..350cin ,TRW flat tops,duble-hump heads,RPM intake,750 holly d-pumper headers ect.

My weekend ride is a 1985 monte carlo SS..stock

and my pride and joy is in the works it's a 1969 camaro Z28 clone..I just  pulled a LT1 motor &tranny out of a wrecked 96 fire bird T/A maybe i'll will get on the road in a year or so..
Semper-fi
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 12:25:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Does my rifle rack in my pickup count as cars and guns?? This week is deer season and the rack is full[:)]
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 12:28:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Ok gentlemen, lets not forget about motorcycles.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 12:33:09 AM EDT
[#8]
The last time i caried a fire arm on a motorcycle i got pulled over. Seams my hk91 slung over my shoulder, the nite the sla decided to go head to head with the fbi in coupville wa. was not a good nite to ride armed on whidbey island...
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 4:34:47 AM EDT
[#9]
I read once about a Texas based group called "Torque & Recoil".  Been trying to find out more about them ever since.  Guess what they're into.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 6:02:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Well, I don't know if they "go together" but it does seem that those interested in one are interested in the other.  But, each can stand on its own.

I've been into cars since before I could drive.  Now I've got a sweet 1992 Mustang 5.0 LX 5-speed coupe (or sedan, or notchback if you prefer).  I've done plenty of mods (exhaust, cam, roller rockers, pulleys, electric fan, caster/camber plates, headers, short throw shifter, 255lph fuel pump, etc, etc, etc)...all the work performed by me.  Hell, I even painted it myself.  It looks better than it did when it was new!

I've also been an NRA member for years and I've always had interest in firearms and Second Amendment Rights.  But I never owned a gun until a few months ago.  Actually, my AR is the first gun I've ever fired! (why not start with the best?)  Can you believe it?

Link Posted: 11/28/2001 6:13:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Not cars, Jeeps.  Not fake Jeeps but real Jeeps.  Minimum qualifications for a real Jeep is CJ-7 era or earlier.  However the new Wrangler is pretty nice.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 6:13:18 AM EDT
[#12]
I like guns, but know nothing about cars. I can change a tire and preform some basic maintenance (oil, fluids, etc) but not much else. Don't like sport cars, and drive a sweet 2 door 2001 Blazer.

Now computers on the other hand... I can build my own, fix motherboards, run most OS's, and build networks.

I think Troy got right... guns are mechanical devices, and I wouldn't be surprised if most peoples hobbies here lean towards working with their hands. I used to build airplane models, although I also collect coins and world paper money.

Av.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 6:18:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Do guns and cars go together?

Of course!  They make excllent targets!

[img]wsphotofews.excite.com/033/Lb/EY/su/Rs27629.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 6:25:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Chevelle SS...Pretty nice ride. I am a Mustang man myself (1966) but I like a nice car of any caliber...eh I mean make.
What size engine do you have in that sweet ride?

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 6:28:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Trucks and guns go together too...

[img]wsphotofews.excite.com/024/Gk/Jh/7D/UH33598.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 6:37:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Trucks and guns go together too...

[img]wsphotofews.excite.com/024/Gk/Jh/7D/UH33598.jpg[/img]
View Quote

Hey Shaggy!

Better check your computer for that virus shit.  This one activates even though you didn't "click" on the attachment.  Bastards!

[url]http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/[email protected][/url]

Oh ya, car's and gun's do go together.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 7:03:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Ok gentlemen, lets not forget about motorcycles.
View Quote

Let's not...  sometimes I go to the garage and can't decide whether I want to tinker with the Harley or the guns.  Then my wife comes looking for me and I end up doing neither!  But I do like working with my hands (cars, bikes, kid's toys, guns, etc.) and there does seem to be a correlation between them.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 7:54:56 AM EDT
[#18]
I have been into guns and cars for as long as I can remember.  I enjoy working on cars. (Well, trucks mostly, all my friends that modify stuff drive trucks) Have not done any major engine work, but should be putting a 400 crank in a 351M block soon.  Usually work on all the standard stuff, exhaust, intake manifold, carb, distributor, ignition, stereo etc.  I am the electronics guy so I have installed stereos in all my friends trucks including mine.  Doing all that stiff is fun, but most of my money goes to shooting.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 8:03:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Yeah, guns and cars go together.  My buddies and I have all fixed up cars, mine is a Pre-Ban 67 Chevy C20 with some goodies.

My friend usually buys more parts for his cars, but when he thinks about it, he usually picks up a new gun.

Maybe testosterone, motor oil, and gunpowder go together?  [:D]
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 9:08:16 AM EDT
[#20]
I couldn't tell you the first thing about what is going on under the hood of my car. But I can strip and reassemble any firearm with my eyes closed. (well... almost anyway)
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 6:55:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Here's a picture from a current auction for a Dutch Amralite AR10 on GunBroker.com.

[img]http://www.gunbroker.com/pixhost/2001-11-18/chestypuller_1006484249_AR10right.JPG[/img]

Edited because I posted the picture and forgot to mention the point of posting it.  Notice the Chevy "SS427" badge to the left of the red tool box.  Our kind are EVERYWHERE!  MUAHAHAHAHA!!!
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 7:12:09 PM EDT
[#22]
I don't know, you tell me:

[img]http://www.hkpro.com/mp5windshield.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 7:35:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Notice the Chevy "SS427" badge to the left of the red tool box.  Our kind are EVERYWHERE!  MUAHAHAHAHA!!!
View Quote

Also the double cardan (sp) universal joint on the top right of the box.  

Quoted:   But I can strip and reassemble any firearm with my eyes closed. (well... almost anyway)
View Quote

Almost!? Get cracking! The first few times I had to cheat, but after a while it is easy. With an AR at least.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 7:40:27 PM EDT
[#24]
I always thought of it as an independence/self-reliance thing. I don't like to pay other people to do things for me when I can do them myself. I've always done as much work as I can on my cars and other things I've owned. I've never liked having to take my car to the mechanics, when it needs something that requires a tool I can't afford. In the same vein, I wouldn't like to rely on other people to protect me. I'd rather protect myself, and I need the tools to do the job. That, and I like things that have lots and lots of power, esp. involving fire and explosions [:D] For the record, I have a '89 5.0 Mustang, 180,000 miles and still going strong. I have the basics on it, like headers, flowmasters, shifter. It'll get some more parts when I get some more money.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 7:49:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Top toys: Pre-ban Bushmaster M-4
         '69 Mustang Mach 1 351C-4v 4:11 rear
      (might go to 428SCJ after college)
others:postban bushmaster carbine
      1964 1/2 mustang coupe

I find that people that shoot glocks and
highpoints normaly mess with chevys.

Link Posted: 11/28/2001 7:59:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Top toys: Pre-ban Bushmaster M-4
         '69 Mustang Mach 1 351C-4v 4:11 rear
      (might go to 428SCJ after college)
others:postban bushmaster carbine
      1964 1/2 mustang coupe

I find that people that shoot glocks and
highpoints normaly mess with chevys.

View Quote

I've never owned a Glock, Highpoint, or a Ford![;D]
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 8:21:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Let me see my hobbies are
boats(19'jet bbf 429 450-500 hp @5500rpm)
dirt bikes,Suzuki gsxr750 (2001)
scuba diving
do like playing with motors
plus many more usually winter i try to shoot and ride the atv and summer is boats and the canyon roads here in the prk.Sucks when i've gotta work 6 days a week though just leaves sunday with so much to do.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top