Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/11/2013 4:45:09 PM EDT
...then strip them down and see what makes them tick?
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:47:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:48:59 PM EDT
[#2]
They buy a lot more than one of them also.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:49:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Of course.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:50:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Based on my latest experience with Hertz, they rent them for the destructive testing and then reassemble and return.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:51:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Of course.   Wouldn't YOU?

If you want to make a better car than your competitor, you have to really know your competitor's cars.

That doesn't explain, though, why a 2004 Cadillac CTS is missing three comfort and convenience features that

were standard equipment on a 1992 Toyota Camry.

1:  Illuminated ignition key slot.    You've got to FEEL your way to it at night.  

2:  Transmission gear indicator in the instrument cluster. (Auto trans)  You have to look down at the shifter to confirm,

which may not be the best thing to do while driving.

3:  Right front seat pull handle on the roof to assist "less able" passengers in getting in and out of the vehicle.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:53:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Uh yeyas they do...I worked for a British 4wd mfr that was bought by a German car mfr for the sole purpose of building themselves a SUV that could go off road as well as the best 4x4 by far..

Some of you may get that I think. This of course is only my opinion
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:54:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you want to make a better car than your competitor, you have to really know your competitor's cars.

That doesn't explain, though, why a 2004 Cadillac CTS is missing three comfort and convenience features that

1:  Illuminated ignition key slot.    You've got to FEEL your way to it at night.  

2:  Transmission gear indicator in the instrument cluster.   You have to look down at the shifter to confirm,

3:  Right front seat pull handle on the roof to assist "less able" passengers in getting in and out of the vehicle.

View Quote

You mean my manual trans cars have design defects?

The grab handle is legit though
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:56:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've noticed a lot of "American" cars don't have this. My fiance's old POS Equinox didn't have one and I felt like using a utility handle from the hardware store and screwing it in with drywall screws. Fucking annoying as I'd reach for it and there was nothing there. My WRX has one over each door, including the drivers.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:58:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
...then strip them down and see what makes them tick?
View Quote

Yes.  Someone posted an article to this effect a while back, or told of their knowledge of it.  It was pretty interesting.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:58:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Of course.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:02:19 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote

Automatic transmission.  Better?

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:03:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Where do you think Toyota gets the 2014 Tundra interior?  They must buy F150's buy the trainload!
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:07:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Yep.  I can walk down the hallway at work and see the dissected remains of a Honda Insight, a high end Mercedes, and several other cars on display.

I have driven corporate owned, M-plated BMWs, but I don't work for BMW...  
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:07:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Every one of them does . Not just car companies look at Ruger and the lcp  or the new SR series guns that internally look like a Glock .

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:09:26 PM EDT
[#15]
how else would the Chinese ever figured out how to make a car. Most GM products are made in China FYI.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:10:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Better but still lame.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:10:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

2:  Transmission gear indicator in the instrument cluster. (Auto trans)  You have to look down at the shifter to confirm,

View Quote

WHY are you stiring around with the shifter on an AUTO while driving ? ? ? Doing reverse drops?
I can't remember ever needing to manually shift gears on an auto in the last 35 years

The Grab handle though is NECESSARY, saves the seat from wear, among others,

the others ? ?

can't say I've ever thought  "that would be nice" . . . . . .  

NOPE ,

never have.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:10:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Right down to screws, washers, and gaskets.  

I have been in the teardown studios for one of the Big 3.  They have all of the assemblies broken down and mounted on pegboards you can sign out to see how they go together (if you have need to know, of course).  It seemed like they had pretty much every competing model available.

When the European style vans (Sprinter, Ford Transit, etc) started showing up in the US, the company I worked for had pretty much one of every model of tall, skinny van lining the hallway for a while as they got them torn down. There are more than you'd think.  Renault, Peugeot, Fiat, and many others.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:11:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Mitsubishi rents cars from the Enterprise by their plant in Normal, IL all the time.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:13:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Kind of sounds like you are really searching for reasons here
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:15:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
how else would the Chinese ever figured out how to make a car. Most GM products are made in China FYI.
View Quote

What in the blue fuck?  That is one of the biggest damned lies I have ever seen on this site.  Got proof, or are you just spreading GM hate for the sake of spreading GM hate?

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:19:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Yes. There was a story about it in Wired a while back.

ETA: yes to the OP, not to the post above this.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:19:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

My 2013 tundra doesn't have that.  Yet my 06 did IIRC.

I miss it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:20:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Sure do.  I was at one of the tech centers for a major manufacturer to check the install/fit of our parts.  It was where they did test fit of parts and testing of models what were 2+ years from mass production (like the cars you see wrapped in leather covers if you are ever in/around Detroit area).  They had cars from multiple different other companies.  Some complete, some in various stages of tear down.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:20:28 PM EDT
[#25]
They certainly do, they also spy on each other.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:23:09 PM EDT
[#26]
I know they also buy parts from other manufacturers to study them. There is a little Korean lady that comes to our parts department with lists, and buys/orders all kinds of parts for Hyundai/Kia to study.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:39:24 PM EDT
[#27]
I thought this was going to be about do Ford workers buy cars other than Fords for example.  Yes they do.  Drive by any union plant around here, Ford in these parts, and you'll see lots of Toyotas, Hondas, Hyundais, and Kias in the employee parking lots.  I feel no guilt at all driving a VW considering how "disloyal" American auto workers are to their own industry.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:50:51 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
WHY are you stiring around with the shifter on an AUTO while driving ? ? ? Doing reverse drops?

I can't remember ever needing to manually shift gears on an auto in the last 35 years

the others ? ?

NOPE ,

never have.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

the others ? ?

NOPE ,

never have.

No, no, no.

It'd just be so you can shift into the appropriate gear (usually DRIVE) without ever needing to look at the floor shifter's indicator.

This is the first car I've had with a 5 speed auto transmission.  If I shift by feel alone SOMETIMES I still get into 4th instead of D.

Simply having the indicator on the instrument cluster is a nice convenience feature and particularly one that is well received by,

shall we say,  less youthful drivers?

I haven't yet had any cause to actually use 4, 3, or 2.  (1 is not selectable via the shifter on this car.)   P, R, N, and D are sufficient

for all my driving.  

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:52:15 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No.

I had the Camry for many years and many miles.  I got used to those conveniences.

They're not on my CTS and frankly I kind of miss them, but otherwise I really like my CTS a lot.  

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:55:58 PM EDT
[#30]
yup......
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:59:12 PM EDT
[#31]
I know some that just rent them instead and then replace all of the components that they modified.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:59:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Based on my latest experience with Hertz, they rent them for the destructive testing and then reassemble and return.
View Quote

LOL.....I can neither confirm nor deny that statement.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:00:20 PM EDT
[#33]
I was at a Toyota plant and they were  tearing  a ford pickup apart to count spot welds and figure out some other tricks to make the vehicle stronger then Toyota did.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:03:47 PM EDT
[#34]
I've never worked in the auto industry, but in the electronic industry where I worked we did buy competitors offerings and dissect them.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:09:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Yes they do. I've seen a Honda Accord laid out on a bay floor like a plastic model car just taken out of the box.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:10:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Any industry does it to some extent. Lessons come from many places.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:11:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I thought this was going to be about do Ford workers buy cars other than Fords for example.  Yes they do.  Drive by any union plant around here, Ford in these parts, and you'll see lots of Toyotas, Hondas, Hyundais, and Kias in the employee parking lots.  I feel no guilt at all driving a VW considering how "disloyal" American auto workers are to their own industry.
View Quote

Several Honda assembly plants in my area. Plenty of American made vehicles in the parking lots there, along with other Japanese brands.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:14:21 PM EDT
[#38]
In the late 80s and early 90s The Delco Electronics Division of GM would tear apart Ford and Chrysler Electronic engine controls.

I got to see one that they were scraping the conformal coat off.

I assumed we got them from cars that one of the GM divisions bought, probably the General Motors Research people.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:16:00 PM EDT
[#39]
How do you think that the Japanese built the Zero?
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:17:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

I work for an oil company and noticed more than one Prius in the parking lot.  I have no idea if we test competitors fuel additives or lubricants.  

We don't own any gas stations near the refinery, so I buy gas sold under competing brands regularly. Our production goes to markets hundreds of miles away via pipeline and is not sold locally anyway.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:17:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Not in the car biz but I've picked apart some competitors' products.

Everyone who can afford to, does, if they're serious about staying competitive.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:29:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Zippy,
Yes, absolutely.  They'd be fools not to do that.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:32:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Where do you think Chrysler pulled the modern "Hemi" from? They bought a bunch of GM LS1's and LQ9's and worked from there. Was one of the worst kept secrets among detroit area auto engineers when the hemi went back into production. Primarily because the chrysler engineers didnt remotely try to disguise the purchase.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:34:25 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Yep.  I can walk down the hallway at work and see the dissected remains of a Honda Insight, a high end Mercedes, and several other cars on display.

View Quote
I know you guys want to be like BMW, but please don't, those things are becoming less and less reliable. You guys need to innovate instead of copy, the new Colorado is going to be a disaster, the 3.6 v6 engine is a pos too.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:49:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

You work for Hyundai?

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:57:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Corporate espionage. It's a thing.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:03:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

the others ? ?

NOPE ,

never have.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the others ? ?

NOPE ,

never have.

Tow many trailers? Pretty common to pull the selector down into first on an auto trans equipped truck before going up a steep driveway/gravel bank/boat ramp/ what ever. Keeps the tranny from up shifting if you over rev in a hard pull.

I wish Ford would reintroduce a manual. While the select-shift is nice and it does work pretty well, an auto equipped Super Duty is just stupid. (I own one by the way )

Actually if Ford would use the current F250 frame/suspension, the 2010 body, a mid 90's era 7.3L diesel, and a 6 speed Fuller transmission. It would be the perfect truck.  What's the chances in getting that?
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:07:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Uh yeyas they do...I worked for a British 4wd mfr that was bought by a German car mfr for the sole purpose of building themselves a SUV that could go off road as well as the best 4x4 by far..

Some of you may get that I think. This of course is only my opinion
View Quote

I can promise you they didn't buy it for the electrical engineering.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:08:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

the passat is us built.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:11:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

the passat is us built.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the passat is us built.

Most auto workers are just paid labor. No pride or company loyalty. Its just a pay check for them.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top