Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 7/6/2012 11:22:52 AM EDT
The only threads I could find were archived.

Who plays?  What discs do you use?  Have any tips for a new player?

My girlfriendfiancee (not used to calling her that yet) and I started play about a month or so ago and only have about 5 discs between the two of us.  We have three drivers (Nuke, Cyclone, and Stratus), a mid-range (Comet), and one putter (Magnet).  

I'm not that good at driving yet but each time I play I get a little better and better.  It is such a fun sport.  I wish I would have found this a few years ago.

Sidenote:  I found an awesome Android scorecard app that works for both golf and disc golf called Easy Scorecard.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 11:26:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/6/2012 11:26:54 AM EDT by Lorax]
I play and use the cheaper Innova discs.

Been playing for about 6 years now as we have four courses within 12 minutes drive from here. Great courses too!

I'll take a small set of three or four discs and bang out two rounds while jogging it. It makes a good workout. Or, I'll go with my wife and make a nice day out of it with a soft cooler full of cold drinks and snacks.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 11:32:25 AM EDT
Yours was one of the threads I found mentioning disc golf.  You mentioned your son's friend that you took in likes to play.

I went with Discraft because they made the cheap "starter" set I bought on Amazon and I liked their simple numbering system for the different stability ratings.  So far most of those numbers don't make a difference to me because they all end up flying the same way.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 11:46:04 AM EDT
Half empty beer in the offhand for counterweight.

Other than that buy a few cheap discs and just go play, you'll find which ones you like.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 11:51:38 AM EDT
I play.  Get a few disks, see what you like....

I use a Cyclone, Valkyrie and Wildcat as a Driver

Buzz or Gateway Element (no longer made) as a mid range.

Magnet as a putter

Specialty discs as needed... like the Dragon for a floater...Havoc for around trees and use an old Wizard as a dog bowl for water
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 11:51:38 AM EDT
I play every once in a while, we usually end up throwing boomerangs with people looking at us like wtf
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 11:51:40 AM EDT
Ive been playing off and on for about 18 years. I love it. Ive gotten my brother into it as well.
Watch the videos on youtube about increasing your drive. Theres lots of great tips and how tos.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 11:54:45 AM EDT
I haven't played in a while but I'm actually going to play with my friend from Memphis tomorrow when he comes into town.

We used to try to do a beer per hole back in the day. Usually made it the front nine and thats it.

[/lightweights]
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 11:57:52 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Signal25:
Ive been playing off and on for about 18 years. I love it. Ive gotten my brother into it as well.
Watch the videos on youtube about increasing your drive. Theres lots of great tips and how tos.

Discraft has some awesome videos.  I took their advice on changing my grip and it really helped me.  I think I need to change my release a bit and work on transferring my weight from back to front as I throw.  I'm used to doing that because I played baseball but it feels weird doing it with the opposite foot.  It's like trying to pitch left-handed when I'm a righty.  It just feels weird.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 12:13:18 PM EDT
I've played a ton throughout my life.  Just got back into it after a couple of years.  Only advise for improvement is to play often.  
The XL is a good driver to start with.  Super versatile and forgiving.  The cheetah is a good mid/long range disk that flies super plat and straight.

Just like gold dont try hard.  Do a nice soft easy through thats level to the ground and you're good to go.

A good way to get out with the woman and have some fun :)
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 12:28:56 PM EDT
Innova's website tells you what each disc's flight charachteristics are.  Your best bet is to get a good straight flying driver and a nice intermediate straight flyer and a very soft putter.  Then, when you can toss those fairly well, add some discs that you can make break right and left.  

It's an enjoyable way to get off the couch and get some exercise.  It's pretty hard to master though.  I never did get very good.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 12:31:18 PM EDT
Originally Posted By AJ_Engineer:
Half empty beer in the offhand for counterweight.

Other than that buy a few cheap discs and just go play, you'll find which ones you like.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

There ya go.

We used to drag along a sixer of Fosters oilcans and play with a regular Frisbee.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 12:31:23 PM EDT
I use cheap discs mostly innova and my go to disc is the shark. I usually roll with a champion eagle, a shark, a aviar and a birdie and, any over stable driver for
the tomahawk throw (useful in thick trees or for going over obstacles).

If you are serious, try to spend an hour a week perfecting your putt. Stand as far as you can from the basket and still get it in every time. Work on that for a while.
Then scoot back a step or two and do it again until you hit the basket every time. The biggest improvement you will see on your game is through competent putting.

I am not very good for having 18 years of experience, probably has something to do with the cooler I usually bring.

Also its a good idea to replace discs (at least the cheap ones) yearly.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 12:38:33 PM EDT
I'm also just getting into it and have no real advice to offer but to say its a lot of fun!!
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 12:56:57 PM EDT

Got into it last year with a buddy that plays a lot, now a bunch of us are playing. In fact i am

leaving work in 3 min to go play 18 with my new Innova Beast.

Top Top