Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/2/2008 2:11:50 PM EDT
Who's got some solid recipes for dinners for us single dudes?

Seems like the arfcom nation has plenty of good cooks in the house!

I'm particularly interested in stove top or pan-based dishes that don't take much time, but I'm open to hear what you guys got to offer!

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 2:12:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 2:14:24 PM EDT
[#2]
phone + credit card = pizza

bread + ham = sammich

gf + kitchen = better eatn
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 2:14:57 PM EDT
[#3]
16 Oz. Ribeye, medium rare off the grill.
Large baked Idaho spud w/ real butter, sour cream, grated cheddar cheese, bacon and chives.
Beer of your choosing.
Pie for dessert.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 2:16:12 PM EDT
[#4]
This is arfcom.  They will all start with   "take 4 lbs of bacon..."
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 2:16:38 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

bread + ham = sammich

I know... but, I'm getting tired of status quo so I came to see what the arfcom cooks had to offer.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 2:17:01 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/2/2008 2:18:28 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

4 lbs, what the fuck man? Are you on a diet or something
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 2:21:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Sloppy Joes
Spaghetti
Grilled cheese sammiches and tomato soup
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 2:21:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Casserole dish

+

Casserole recipe

=

1 weeks food.

Any questions?

Link Posted: 6/2/2008 2:22:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Anything frozen that you can nuke and eat over the sink.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 2:22:59 PM EDT
[#11]
tag
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 2:25:02 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

4 lbs, what the fuck man? Are you on a diet or something

I didn't want to get all detailed, but I did figure he'd want to start with an appetizer.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 2:27:08 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Sloppy Joes = three days worth of dinners
Spaghetti  = a weeks worth of dinners

Chili is another good one for dinner all week, your coworkers may not agree though

I usually buy a bunch of frozen dinners too, for when I don't feel like cooking.

Oh yeah, if you chew copenhagen skipping meals altogether is much easier
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 2:28:59 PM EDT
[#14]
How much do you consider "not much time"?

5 minutes?
10?
30?

Do you care about calories/fat/carb content?

Is your not much time requirement start to mouth, or just time you spend in the kitchen, discounting it cooking while you do something else?
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 2:49:50 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Chili is another good one for dinner all week, your coworkers may not agree though

I usually buy a bunch of frozen dinners too, for when I don't feel like cooking.

Haha

If ya cook up 2# of meat for sloppy joes, it makes exactly 2 packages of 8 buns each.  If you figure 2 joes + some chips or something, thats one meal right there.  16 joes total, even at 3 joes each, thats still 5 meals.
Meat = $2.50/lb
Manwich = $.80 for 2 cans
Buns = $2

$7-8 for at least 5 meals.  
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 2:50:39 PM EDT
[#16]
sandwich bread, bacon, cheese

canned corn beef hash, cheese (fried egg in the middle optional)

canned chili, sour cream, saltines, cheese

canned tuna, celery, relish, boiled egg
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:13:01 PM EDT
[#17]
What ever you make make enough for two so you have leftovers......
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:17:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Make salads.  Good salads.  If you are including iceberg lettuce, you are not making a good salad.

A big problem with cooking for one is that it is hard to portion control.  
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:18:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Hamburger Helper

Shells & Cheese with Hormell chili (chilimac)
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:21:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Make a giant pot of spaghetti on Sunday, put individual servings in tupperware & freeze.  Take one tupperware out of freezer and put in fridge before you leave for work, nuke & eat when you get home.

Kharn
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:23:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Bush's Beans
Can opener
MRE spoon
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:27:12 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

And end with "eat it"
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:30:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Velveeta Shells and Cheese
Can o' Hormel Chili

Make Shells and Cheese, mix in Chili when done. Heat slowly and eat up. Chase with several beers of your choosing.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:37:27 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
16 Oz. Ribeye, medium rare off the grill.
Large baked Idaho spud w/ real butter, sour cream, grated cheddar cheese, bacon and chives.
Beer of your choosing.
Pie for dessert.

FTW !

When I was single , for a while I was eating all those crap recipes that single guys want to settle for, then I wised up and decided to eat well and enjoy myself at the same time.  It turns a chore into something to look forward to and you learn something at the same time.

The above recipe takes no longer to  put together than a lot of the others.  10-12 minutes for the steak, 10-12minutes for the tater.... hell, it added to the experience when I was in the reloading room while the meat was marinating and the coals were getting grey .

Want a treat ?  Use olive oil and chopped garlic  instead of butter and salt on corn on the cob.

Worked for me, ymmv
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:43:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Get Crock pot. You put the meal together the night before, pull it out of the fridge and plug it in before work. Best yet you can make enough for several days
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:53:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quick and cheap;
1. huge chef salad with lots of ham and swiss cheese,
2. 4 hot dogs on buns with sauerkraut

On the Grill;
1. 1 to 2 pounds of chicken breast. Serve with rice,
2. 2 hamburgers. Serve on burger buns with mustard, tomato, melted cheese,
3. 3 bratwurst, Serve on brat buns with ample horseradish.

Pizza;
1. buy the crusts pre-made. Cover crust with olive oil, add Contadina tomato puree (the best), provolone cheese, Margherita pepperoni. 10 minutes in the oven.

Best Pepperoni
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 6:16:56 PM EDT
[#27]
It's hard for single guys to get enough fruits and veggies, which leads to constipation and flatulence, which are low in chick magnet potential.

Buy pre-cut, pre-mixed salads at the store.  Higher price per pound, but you won't throw out so many moldy heads of lettuce.

Make omelets.  If you're worried about cholesterol, make a two egg omelet with one whole egg, and one egg white only.  (That is, throw away one yolk.)  Then, add anything you want, but be sure to include avocado.

Eat raw fruits a lot.  Apples, bananas, oranges, pears, cherries, strawberries, blueberries.

Buy bags of frozen veggies.  They'll keep a lot longer than fresh.  I supplement my sammiches with frozen mixed vegetables.  Plop some into a bowl, microwave for a minute or less, then you can say you had veggies.

The ultimate bachelor slop:  Can of tuna mixed into can of cream of mushroom soup.  Heat and pour over rice (if you have time to make instant rice) or macarone/pasta (if you have time) or toast.  If you are feeling like a health nut, mix in some canned peas, or some of those mixed veggies that used to be frozen.

Oh, and bacon.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 6:22:17 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Get Crock pot. You put the meal together the night before, pull it out of the fridge and plug it in before work. Best yet you can make enough for several days

win - this really makes it easy for the rest of the week. tastes great too because you put a lot of effort into one evening and reap teh rewards for the next few days till you eat it all

Quoted:

epic fail. women CANNOT cook these days. what the fuck man! in my relationship i am the one who cooks. she pays for half of it and cleans everything up after, so i cant complain.

most women i date dont even have shit for sense in front of the stove. i'd much rather cook exclusively because i dont want the females to burn down my kitchen and ammo stash
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 6:27:02 PM EDT
[#29]
This....

plus this....

brown the ground beef, follow directions on box mix ground beef in with shells and cheese its pretty easy and fast to make.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 6:28:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Big pot of spaghetti on Sunday, eat it till about Wednesday.

Get a rice cooker, 1 cup raw makes 2 cups cooked rice + can of chili makes two meals.  Same thing with can of New England Clam chowder. Cheap and quick.

I can't stand those microwave meals, they always leave you hungry and all the stuff in there if you read the labels hock.gif

Link Posted: 6/2/2008 6:43:26 PM EDT
[#31]
I usually cook for two, but these can easily work for one.

Stove Top Steak.

12-16 oz Delmonico steak.
Extra Virgin Oil.
2 cloves of fresh minced garlic.
1/2 chopped onion.
Asparagus.
Rosemary .
Grill Mates Montreal Steak seasoning.
Black pepper.
Sea Salt.(or normal salt)

Season steak, add fresh minced garlic, pepper, Sea Salt(or normal salt) and steak seasoning to both sides.(save some garlic)

Take your pan and set it to medium heat and cover the bottom with extra virgin olive oil.

Next add asparagus and onion into the pan, cook covered stirring occasionally until asparagus is cooked. Add some salt and pepper. Cover and set to the side.

Add more oil if needed. Sprinkle rosemary and extra garlic into the pan. Now put your steak on medium heat and cook until you are satisfied. If you like onion on your steak go ahead and add it, we do not.

I have a great recipe for oven cooked spicy chicken thighs, I will add it tomorrow.

Link Posted: 6/2/2008 6:44:45 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

bread + ham = sammich

you forgot:

eggs + pan of water  = boiled eggs
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 7:46:20 PM EDT
[#33]
one i like once and a while

1... pkg sausage links/or smokie links
1...can of pork and beans

cook sausage links remove from pan when done dice into about 1 inch pieces.
add to pork & beans heat and eat..... bachelor beanie weenie.                                      or if you want it fast nuke the smokie links/pork&beans in the microwave.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:04:27 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
It's hard for single guys to get enough fruits and veggies, which leads to constipation and flatulence, which are low in chick magnet potential.
I prefer an 11oz can of V8 every morning between breakfast and lunch.

Quoted:
Pizza;
1. buy the crusts pre-made. Cover crust with olive oil, add Contadina tomato puree (the best), provolone cheese, Margherita pepperoni. 10 minutes in the oven.

Best Pepperoni
Dont buy the crusts premade, use a bread machine to make the crust fresh, a 2lb machine will make 3 decent sized crusts in one batch, freeze two for later that week.

Kharn
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:35:39 AM EDT
[#36]
a package or two of mini franks or cheese franks.
half a bottle of bbq sauce.
little bit of chopped onion.

mix in pot and put on stove until warm.

i cant even remember how many times i made that for dinner and took the leftovers to work for lunch the next day.

another one i still make a lot.

fresh flour tortillas.
bunch of swiss cheese.
sliced turkey from the deli.
sliced pastrami from the deli.
parmigian cheese (grated).
chopped onion.
little bit of ranch dressing.

lightly butter one side of the tortilla, throw it on a skillet on the stove over low-medium heat.
put all the meat, cheese, and onions on top.  add a little bit of ranch on top of it all.
butter another tortilla and throw it on top.  flip when brown, blah blah.

a fucking quesadilla.  a fantastic one.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:31:03 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I prefer an 11oz can of V8 every morning between breakfast and lunch.

Kharn

That's a good option for vitamins; I like it.  Try the low sodium version, though.  One 11-ounce regular V8 contains more than 100% of the recommended amount of sodium for a day.  If you're a hard-body jock with low BP, don't worry about it, but if you're a normal human being, reg. V8 is an overdose.

Negligible fiber in V8, though.  Still need to get some real fruits and veggies in there, to keep the waste disposal system running.

Oh, and the best snack is walnuts.  Miracle food.  Buy the big bag at Costco.  Eat big handfuls of walnuts for snacks.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 1:16:42 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Haha

If ya cook up 2# of meat for sloppy joes, it makes exactly 2 packages of 8 buns each.  If you figure 2 joes + some chips or something, thats one meal right there.  16 joes total, even at 3 joes each, thats still 5 meals.
Meat = $2.50/lb
Manwich = $.80 for 2 cans
Buns = $2

$7-8 for at least 5 meals.  

You must be my brother from another mother
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 1:44:50 PM EDT
[#39]
I usually make 2 or 3 of anything so I have leftovers for tomorrow's lunch.  Boil-in-bag rice is probably my most common side dish.

2 chicken breasts
1 jar salsa
1/2 cup lime juice
yellow mustard

Mix salsa and lime juice in a bowl and set aside.

Lay out a piece of plastic wrap on the counter, put two chicken tits on it, put another piece of plastic over it.  Flatten the chicken out with your hand.  Remove the plastic from the top and coat the top side of the chicken with mustard.

With a greased pan on the stove at medium-high heat, put the chicken mustard-side down.  While it's in the pan, coat the top side of the chicken with mustard.  When the bottom side is browned, flip it over and let the other side brown.

Pour in the salsa and lime juice and reduce the heat to medium.  Cover and let simmer until cooked, stirring occasionally so you don't burn salsa to the pan.

Blackening seasoning mix for chicken or catfish:
1ts paprika
1/2ts each sage, cumin, garlic, sugar, salt
1/4ts each cayenne pepper, onion powder

I usually spray the chicken or fish with Pam, then sprinkle this stuff on.  Grill or bake til cooked.

Chinese five spice chicken
I use this recipe for the spices, onions, etc, and just use chicken breasts.

Bratwursts are pretty easy.  Just parbroil them in beer and onions until they're basically cooked, then toss them on the grill for a few minutes.

A good potato recipe for a side dish is to slice a few potatoes and lay them out on some aluminum foil.  Sprinkle them with salt and pepper, a little cayenne maybe, some garlic, and butter.  Cover with foil and roll up the edges so nothing leaks out.  I usually use 2-3 layers of foil.  Then toss it on the grill for a long time, flipping once(careful not to tear the foil open).
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 1:50:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Buy hot dogs in bulk. Cook hot dogs, stir into can of baked beans. Cook hot dogs, add to ramen noodles. Cook hot dogs, add to box of kraft macaroni and cheese. It's only bachelor food if you eat it standing over the sink right out of the pot.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 1:52:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Whole wheat pita breads.

Split in two thickness-wise.

Cover with tomato sauce, cheese, black olives, broccoli, whatever.

Bake at 400 until bubbly.

Eat with a salad.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 1:54:39 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Buy hot dogs in bulk. Cook hot dogs, stir into can of baked beans. Cook hot dogs, add to ramen noodles. Cook hot dogs, add to box of kraft macaroni and cheese. It's only bachelor food if you eat it standing over the sink right out of the pot.

I usually eat standing over the kitchen garbage can, makes less mess
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 1:55:20 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

+1 this will atleast double your options.

Throw stuff in the morning, good to go when you get home.

They are also pretty cheap.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 1:55:59 PM EDT
[#44]
make a roast in the crock pot and portion it out and freeze some.

I take a roast (beef, pork, lamb, or venison)
then add 1/2-3/4 bottle of wine or a pint of Guiness Stout
add vegetables (carrots, celery, red potatoes, red bell pepper, garlic cloves, sweet onion)  then cook on low for 24 hours.  once cooked let the crock pot cool down and put it in the fridge for a day, then portion it out into tupperware, freeze some, refridgerate some and heat the portion you want to eat.

or take a family pack of meat and grill it one day and put in lunch containers with veggies for the week (one family pack = 4-6 meals)

Dave
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 1:59:31 PM EDT
[#45]
pita bread

sliced turkey

diced tomatoes, chopped green onions, avocado, shredded cheese

Italian dressing
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:05:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Hamburger Helper Cheeseburger Macaroni (two boxes)
Hamburger (2lbs)
Large pan
Cook
Have leftovers for a few days.

Crock Pot+Crock Pot recipe book= Good eating.......
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:36:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Can of Hormel Corned Beef Hash (or generic store-brand, if at least 5 cents cheaper).
Open can.
Eat corned beef hash with spoon.  (No need to heat it; it's good cold.)
Throw away can.
Wipe off spoon with T-shirt, put spoon back in drawer.

For a two-course meal, open can of beer, drink beer, discard can.
For a three-course meal, open another can of beer, drink beer, discard can.

ETA:  OMGz!!!  Just saw this:  Baon In A Can
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:41:05 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 this will atleast double your options.

Throw stuff in the morning, good to go when you get home.

They are also pretty cheap.

Define "stuff".  I just bought a crock pot and am itching to use it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top