Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2001 8:52:41 PM EDT
O.K. guys I need a fairly good camera cheap, what are some good brands that I should look for?  I'm getting envious of you guys posting pics of stuff.  Also, what about scanners?
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 8:56:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 9:07:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Hell, you're doing better than me, I don't have a camera, and not even a clue as to how to post a pic!  Figured I 'd get the camera first and then learn all the enigmatic workings to post a pic, probably take close to a year.
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 10:10:07 PM EDT
[#3]
using a sony dsc-s30 (1.3mega pixel cybershot) excellent camera, only draw back is if you need more memory you can only use bigger sony memory stick. where other camera use smart & compact? or flash? media, which has it's plus's because there are several after market companies make that type of memory ( more selections = lower prices) from what i read lately low end units like H.P. & Kodak are perfect for the average photo taker
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 10:57:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I did some research on the net and ended up with an Olympus D360L 1.3 MP camera. Since, I was only looking for a camera to send/post pictures on the net.

I was all set on spending about $800-900 on a 3 MP+ camera (Nikon, Sony, Canon), but I thought I would first give a low-cost DC a try. Got the D360L for $225 on the net.

I've been completly satisfied with the camera's picture quality and flexability. [^]

I also bought a USB Smart Media/Compact Flash card reader (drastically speeds up uploads to PC) and 12 AA rechargable batteries to keep me going. Going to pick up a couple of 32 meg cards for this weekend AK/AR/FAL get-together.

You can start looking and pricing cameras here: [url]http://www.digital-camerastore.com [/url]
Link Posted: 3/8/2001 2:25:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/8/2001 2:34:35 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a Kodak DC280. If you have USB on your computer, get a camera that plugs directly into the USB port and also has an AC adapter.
Link Posted: 3/8/2001 4:11:14 AM EDT
[#7]
CIB,
What will your digicam be used for?
If it is just to post images on the web, then the 1 to 2 meagapixel range will work well. If you would like to try printing images with an inkjet then I wouldn't go below 2 megapixels. Check out this link:

[url]http://www.digital-camerastore.com/index.html[/url]

It should give you some examples.

I recommend a camera that uses a Compact Flash card.
Also one that will plug into your USB port, or a card reader that does the same. It will greatly shorten your download time.
You should also get NiMH batteries (2 sets) plus quick charger. The digicams burn thru batteries.
My Coolpix 950 is able to focus down and capture extremely small objects.
Link Posted: 3/8/2001 8:59:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I also have the Canon Digital Elph (also known as the PowerShot S100).

2.1 Megapixel
super-duper small
rugged steel body
comes with rechargable battery and charger
uses Compact Flash
USB

You can find them online for around $400 these days.  It's everything I wanted in a digital camera.
Link Posted: 3/8/2001 9:18:44 PM EDT
[#9]
It will primarily be used for posting pics on the net.  My wife is a Photographer and likes those 5k Kodaks, but she ain't gettin' one of those.  I'd just like to have one to throw in the truck, I'm always taking pics of critters with those disposable cameras, but if your more than 5 feet from something it looks like it's 1000 yds in the print.  Maybe I should get a scanner too.
Link Posted: 3/9/2001 11:29:38 AM EDT
[#10]
An older model that I like a lot because it is very small is the Canon Powershot A50. I bought
it for $350 new a year+ ago. I see them on
ebay now for $300 or so. It is 1.3 Megpixel,
has 2.5x optical zoom and uses compact flash.
Only nit pick is that it uses a 2CR5 lithium
battery (6V). It uses serial port to download
(no USB). You can buy a USB flash drive to
read the card ($30)
Link Posted: 3/9/2001 8:24:33 PM EDT
[#11]
CIB,
Making photos from a digital file created by scanning a chrome, print or neg is still the best way to go. Digital still looks digital unless you have a photolab that has invested the bucks in a good printer like the Pioneer. If you decide to go the scanner route, a USB connection is useful and the HP Photosmart S20 Xi is a good low end unit. It scans prints up to 5x7, along with 35mm negs and chromes. If you already shoot 35mm, you can just get the film processed and then do the rest in your digital darkroom (scanner) with a program like Photoshop.
Take a look at an Epson Stylus Photo printer, not Stylus Color. The Epson photo printers will produce an inkjet photo that is as good if not better than a chemical print as long as you start with a good scan. Use good glossy paper for details.
Link Posted: 3/9/2001 8:32:01 PM EDT
[#12]
I bought an HP Deskjet 840C and it does a pretty good job on photo's that have been e-mailed to me, as long as I adjust the settings to best and use Jet Printphoto paper $8 for 20 sheets.  My wife has several 35mm cameras so I may just buy a scanner and hold off on the Digital camera until I can buy a pretty decent one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top