Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2012 3:02:31 PM EDT
Hey, guys, what am I doing wrong here?  All I'm trying to do is replace the fuel filter in my truck.

I bought the little plastic tool to release the fitting so I can separate the filter from the fuel line.  I slide the tool over the fuel line and push it into the fitting.  It goes in about 1/2" (almost its full depth).  This is supposed to release the clamp so I can remove the fitting from the filter but it's a no-go.  The line is clamped to the old filter as tightly as ever.  I'd hate to pull any harder for fear of breaking something.

It shouldn't take Herculean strength to get these two items apart,... or does it?  I must be missing something important.  Any idea what I am doing wrong?

P.S. - This is my 1993 Ford Explorer XLT.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 3:13:58 PM EDT
[#1]
First, is there any rust on either the lines, or the filter, as this can make it quite the bitch to get apart.  Second, try pushing the line all the way onto the filter as far as it can go, then, while holding it in place there, install and seat the release tool.  Now push the line AND tool together away from the filter.  When the tool hits the roll crimp in the line everything will stop, but form there you should be able to pull the line by itself and get it off.   If that fails, crc, wd40, pb blaster, free all, etc., sprayed into the fitting and allowed to soak for about 15 minutes should help.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 3:15:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Torch?
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 3:19:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
First, is there any rust on either the lines, or the filter, as this can make it quite the bitch to get apart.  Second, try pushing the line all the way onto the filter as far as it can go, then, while holding it in place there, install and seat the release tool.  Now push the line AND tool together away from the filter.  When the tool hits the roll crimp in the line everything will stop, but form there you should be able to pull the line by itself and get it off.   If that fails, crc, wd40, pb blaster, free all, etc., sprayed into the fitting and allowed to soak for about 15 minutes should help.

Yes, this is exactly the procedure I am using.  The lines and old filter are amazingly (and surprisingly) clean.  

Because it is not working, I'm wondering what else is wrong.  

Could it be the wall thickness of the tool is insufficient to actuate the release?

Could it be residual pressure in the gas line is preventing the release?  I vented both ends, so the line should not be pressurized but maybe I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 3:20:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Torch?

Take this crap to the General Discussion.  it has no place here on a technical forum; especially when your advice would likely cause a death by immolation.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 3:22:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Torch?

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 3:23:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Torch?

Do not feed the trolls.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 3:38:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 3:59:40 PM EDT
[#8]
X2 on what johnQpublic said.  

I had the same issues on my father in laws Ford truck.  Changing fuel filter went OK, but disconnecting the same type of connection in order to drop the fuel tank to change a bad in tank fuel pump gave me lots of problems.  I kept working on it, soaking w WD40, etc and it finally worked.  Fine grit/sand was the culprit.  Try blowing it out with compressed air to get all the grit out.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 4:18:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
X2 on what johnQpublic said.  

I had the same issues on my father in laws Ford truck.  Changing fuel filter went OK, but disconnecting the same type of connection in order to drop the fuel tank to change a bad in tank fuel pump gave me lots of problems.  I kept working on it, soaking w WD40, etc and it finally worked.  Fine grit/sand was the culprit.  Try blowing it out with compressed air to get all the grit out.

Good luck!

Ah!, I getcha.  Will do.  

I ttried building up the OD of the tool's collar - no go.  

Working in close quarters, on my back on a cold concrete driveway is no fun.  Well, this has to wait until tomorrow.  I ran out of daylight today.

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 5:10:58 PM EDT
[#10]
try turning the QD tool while pushing it in..or use a small hammer to persuade the tool in further..they can take some fiddling and pushing/pulling to come apart. if the tool isn't working what so ever..get a few picks or small flatheads and depress the tabs in the fitting or i've even used tin from a soda can wrapped around the line and pushed in, then you can kind of fold it out..hard to explain.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 5:13:25 PM EDT
[#11]
The fuel filter kit should include the two clips to lock the filter in. They are a one shot design very hard to release without breaking them. If not Dorman sells a pair for like $2.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 5:18:06 PM EDT
[#12]
release the pressure on the line by using the schrader valve on the fuel rail, blow out fuel filter area with compressed air, Kroil [or something similar] and try again.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 7:51:46 PM EDT
[#13]
While pushing in on the line, twist the filter to loosen things up.  While still holding fuel line in towards filter, press tool in as far as you can and then pull out on line.  And sometimes changing to a different tool size helps too.  Go down one size on the tool and try that.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 8:45:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The fuel filter kit should include the two clips to lock the filter in. They are a one shot design very hard to release without breaking them. If not Dorman sells a pair for like $2.

Mine does not use this type, although they did come with the filter.  

So far, I have tried everything mentioned to no avail, except the compressed air (I have no compressor).

Everything is loose, nothing is corroded or binding.  I can spin the filter when it is attached to the lines.

Tomorrow, I will try to blow out the fittings to eliminate any dust that may be preventing retraction of the lock.

I put the tool on the new filter.  I noticed the tool is smaller in diameter than the OD of the raised section of the filter's inlet/outlet tubing.  I suspect this may mean the locks cannot retract far enough to disengage from the bumps.

Should I cut the old filter off?  This will disable the vehicle but may allow a better view of what's wrong and may ease finding a remedy.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 8:48:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
release the pressure on the line by using the schrader valve on the fuel rail, blow out fuel filter area with compressed air, Kroil [or something similar] and try again.

Yes, I did this as step #1.  I also took off the gas cap to vent the tank, so the line should be de-pressurized.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 8:52:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, I did this as step #1.  I also took off the gas cap to vent the tank, so the line should be de-pressurized.

Where are you located? Long shot but I have a set of different sized releasers if you are local.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:50:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where are you located? Long shot but I have a set of different sized releasers if you are local.

Thanks for the offer. I have several sizes - notably both 5/16" (the proper size) and 3/8".
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 1:25:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Okay, I got it!

What I did was slide the 5/16" tool onto the line, then put the 3/8" tool over the top of the 5/16" tool.  Using both simultaneously increased the tool's barrel diameter (the OD) by an amount sufficient to unlock the fitting and release the filter.  Neither worked on their own, but in true AR15.com style, using BOTH did the trick.  It was a ten minute job with the "proper" tool.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top