Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 3/11/2006 4:47:19 PM EDT
I'm gonna purchase a 20 or 25 kw diesel generator to run the whole house and since I can weld I'm want to build a 4 or 500 gal tank to store red fuel. Anyone have an opinion on what unit to buy. I don't need a enclosed unit and I can fabricate the exaust to get it out of my Gen room. I need a larger unit because I want to power my A/C with no problems. Mainly for the hurricanes and power outages. It really sucks when it's 90 degrees at 9:00 p.m. and humity is 100%. Tell me about your setup and what works and doesn't.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:23:16 PM EDT
For diesel gen sets figure 1 gallon per hour per 10kw of power in a non-turbo engine. Onan makes some pretty good stuff. 500 gallons should give you two weeks of power. If you enclose it in a room, you need to exhaust the heat and make sure the radiator has a decent cool air supply. Make sure you can safely transfer power from commerical, killing a linesman will get you locked up.

I do power production professionally for Uncle Sam and a local company. Not sales, just ops and maint. We have Kohler, some military stuff uses Isuzu, John Deere and Cat. If you plan it right, you should have at least one set of spare filters and belts and oil for one or two changes as well.

There is a lot to consider, do some research and then ask more questions.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:33:41 PM EDT
your best bet is to ask this over in the survival forum. They've had more threads about generators than GD has had about chuck norris.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:37:29 PM EDT
even if you duct the exhaust out, you will need a SEPARATE duct system to bring fresh air in, and the intake should be away from the exhaust to keep the unit from ingesting its own exhaust. I would suggest putting it in a outside room like a garage or water heater room. This will keep the noise and exhaust away from you, and get the generator closer to the fresh air it needs.

Also, you might want to think about building a platform for it. Nothing would suck more than laying out several thousand on a generator only to have it wrecked during the storm by flooding.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:41:37 PM EDT
At this location I have a Hatz diesel connected to a Stamford Newage back end. It has not seen much service but, it has been dependable thus far.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:48:35 PM EDT
We have a 24KW I picked up in 1999 from Hardy Diesel. There're a couple of tanks (1000 gal & 1800 gal) placed about 40 feet from an 8x10 foot 'generator house' and tied in to the house with a manual transfer switch. The radiator has a inlet duct from the wall facing away from the house with 2 vent louvers on the walls perpendicular to the house - no opening toward the house to reduce noise. Exhaust is throught the wall with stainless flex exhaust pipe (from JC Whitney) the goes into a tarred fiberglass filled steel 55 gallon drum buried just below the ground. A drain hole & drain keeps condensation drained. Fuel is piped underground with shutoffs at the tank and before the filter/pump at the engine. Dual high output marine batteries are the starting source. Since there is no alterantor on the engine, a floating charger is used to keep the batteries hot. A Murphy switch provides auto shutdown on loss of oil pressure or high coolant temperature.

Diesel is treated with biocide bi-annually. My Y2K supply is still going strong but I decided last week to look for a fuel oil heater so I can get it rotated out and conserve propane. I'm looking at some sort of small heater like those used on boats that will let me burn what I've got over about 5 years. I just hate to burn that 92 cent a gallon diesel nowadays.

Inside walls are insulated and there are shelves to hold air & oil filters, belts, antifreeze, spare parts, flashlights, etc. There's also a 55 gallon drum of Rotella oil up on a portable roller with a hand pump to make oil changes easy. In another corner is a 100 lb. propane bottle wih a dual Mr. Heater element to keep room warm if it's cold & weather looks like it's getting bad. Metal roof is sealed with styrofoam & there're two ceiling lights as well as one of those 'on when power off' emergency lights.

We heat with gas, cook with gas & electricity, and cool with electricity. Four ton A/C & everything else is easily pulled by 24 KW simultaneously. I usually adjust the governor twice a year to keep frequency exceptionall close to 60 cycles. A/C makes it drift if I don't.

We have to use ours about once a month which is good for the engine to run a couple of hours periodically. We've had two long term uses - an 11 day ice storm power outage and an 11 day Katrina outage. Nothing like having power out in the boondocks when it's hot & clammy or colder than the freezers.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:14:29 PM EDT
Get something you can commonly get parts for. Onans are famous for poor parts availability, and high parts cost. Besides, I'm not aware of Onan offering a diesel engine anyway. To be honest, I've never looked. Parts availability for Perkins diesels are just as abysmal, I can't tell you how many times a week we have to order parts in from England. I'd prefer to use something like a Cummins or Deere. Avoid the Deeres made by Yanmar. Parts availability can be poor on those too.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:18:41 PM EDT

Originally Posted By bastiat:
your best bet is to ask this over in the survival forum. They've had more threads about generators than GD has had about chuck norris.

Chuck Norris doesn't need a generator. When he needs electricity, he snatches a lightning bolt out of the air and rides it like a bronco.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:07:10 PM EDT
Kubota is another option but not cheap.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:12:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By bastiat:

they even have a tacked thread at the top

and napolean, thats what fans & luevers(sp?) are for
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:18:29 PM EDT

My set up, a used 15 kW Winco generator driven by a diesel tractor. 15kW will run everythingin the house including the AC and water heater. Fuel use is about 1 gallon per hour.

Ops
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:18:43 PM EDT
My father in law used to build BIG generator sets for Terex Co. They used shipping containers to enclose the generator, switch gear and fuel tanks. All of that should make it heavy enough so that wind wont push it around. You'll have to put a louvered vent for the cooling system.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:19:40 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:22:56 PM EDT
Got a tractor? Build a 3 pt. hitch attachment for your genset. My emergency power source is a 30kw genset on such a setup, ready to mount to the back of my IH 1586.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 10:45:20 PM EDT
Great Info.

Lonegunman: I think I'll install an old A/C cage fan that runs off the gen set to keep the room cool. Thanks

Napoloen: How about about an Air intake for the engine vented to the outside?

Kea: Man you've got it going on. The spare parts are a great sugggestion and the 55 gal exhaust will keep it quite and will be appreciated at 3:00 a.m.

Anachronism: I would like to get a set that is powered by a john deere or cummins just because of the parts availability. Good point.

Franksquid: thanks for the thread. Great info

Pangea: I have a solid concrete 12X15 room it's going in. I'm only worried about the above ground fuel tank. One bullet hole and a big mess.

ops: thats a great set up.

Redcap: I have a 1951 farmall "h" it's gas and no three point. Great set up you have.

Thanks to all who responded. I really appreciate it.

I'm really more concerned about the Head/altenator itself. The motor with clean fuel and proper operating temp should be good to go. Any feed back on what type head to get and what spares to have for it would be a help. thanks again...
Top Top