Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2007 6:43:35 AM EDT
Anyone heard any information on the American Big 3 coming out with diesels in their half tons? I would love one if it could handle around 10k and get good mileage to boot plus with it being a diesel....yeah, baby  
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 10:40:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Wouldn't mind a 1/2 ton Silverado diesel.  Think it's supposed to have a 4.5L V-8.
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 10:48:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Why on earth Ford quit making the Excurions I'll never know............

I love mine (in diesel) .........but it won't last forever..............

Link Posted: 9/13/2007 10:52:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Word on the street is GM & Ford will have one in 2009. There has been a long rumor about CAT making a diesel for toyota. Look at the toyota job-site style commercials, all you see it yellow heavy equipment in them.

-JTP
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 11:03:34 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Word on the street is GM & Ford will have one in 2009. There has been a long rumor about CAT making a diesel for toyota. Look at the toyota job-site style commercials, all you see it yellow heavy equipment in them.

-JTP

Toyota now owns a share of Isuzu. And Isuzu being the worlds foremost light duty deisel company i would think Yoters would have Zu deisels...
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 11:11:43 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

+1000 Damn ford and their tree hugging hippie chaairman.

<------- Mine.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 11:46:15 AM EDT
[#6]
MINE

Link Posted: 9/13/2007 11:52:24 AM EDT
[#7]
im hoping the new low sulfer fuel will bring diesels back. i have a diesel VW now and it really embarrasses the hybrids.

last year i needed a 2wd work truck and i would loved to have bought a diesel. im happy with the vortec 4800 but a 6cyl diesel would have been the shizzle.
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 4:36:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Didn't Chevrolet offer the 6.5L TD in the 1/2 ton pickups and full size blazers in the Mid 90's?

Link Posted: 9/13/2007 4:38:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Rumor of a v8 cummins in the 09 or 10 Dodge 1500.  Also a V6 Cummins in the Durango.
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 4:42:14 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

He said half ton.
Excursion is based on the Super Duty.

I'm surprised they stayed on the market as long as they did. They were intended for a niche market.
I did always think it was a good value, compared to the Expedition.
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 4:59:01 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Didn't Chevrolet offer the 6.5L TD in the 1/2 ton pickups and full size blazers in the Mid 90's?

yes
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 5:06:45 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Rumor of a v8 cummins in the 09 or 10 Dodge 1500.  Also a V6 Cummins in the Durango.

That sucks... part of the beauty of the baby Cummins is the I6...
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 5:14:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Did somebody say 6.5L Turbo Diesel?  
Link Posted: 9/14/2007 5:15:56 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He said half ton.

I'm surprised they stayed on the market as long as they did. They were intended for a niche market.

1/2 ton??? pffff......... why would you want a "half a truck" ??  

Link Posted: 9/14/2007 6:38:16 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He said half ton.

Nice.

I'll tell you why though, it's the same reason that most people have 3/4 and 1 ton trucks.  

It's an image thing.

***Caution, rant below.  Stop reading now if you're going to whine***

<rant>

They (almost always male by the way) want to drive something "big" and "manly" and in their mind that's a diesel pickup.  This is the same thing that drives most 4x4 purchases too BTW.

Oh, they may have a boat that they pull around every once in a while and that may be how they justify having the diesel but they are just lying to themselves.  Paying to buy the 3/4 ton truck and then paying on top of that for the diesel isn't justified to pull the boat to the lake 6 or 7 times a year...

1/2 ton trucks are great for these folks.  1/2 tons are really pretty much just cars anyhow, and the diesel will get a little better mileage than the gas engine.  I highly doubt that it will offset the price of admission over the time frame that most people will own the car though, but this isn't any different than what's going on now.

I say build the 1/2 ton diesel, then the posers can drive around in a diesel pickup that rides like a car and is all quiet and soft and squishy.  Then they can stop sissifying the real trucks (3/4 and 1 ton) so that they are less capable of doing the actual WORK that they should be doing.

</rant>

-Out
Link Posted: 9/14/2007 6:48:48 AM EDT
[#16]
The rumors that I have heard from a diesel-mechanic friend-

09 Chevy 1500 will have a 4.5L Duramax sporting +300hp and 500tq
09 or 10  Dodge will sport an inline-4cyl Cummins
09 or 10 Ford will have a smaller diesel as well (I forget the volume at the moment)

I want Toyota to put a small diesel in their Tacoma, easily the best looking light-duty truck out right now. I just have no need for a 3/4 or 1 ton.
Link Posted: 9/14/2007 7:00:43 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He said half ton.

Nice.

I'll tell you why though, it's the same reason that most people have 3/4 and 1 ton trucks.  

It's an image thing.

<rant>

They (almost always male by the way) want to drive something "big" and "manly" and in their mind that's a diesel pickup.  This is the same thing that drives most 4x4 purchases too BTW.

Oh, they may have a boat that they pull around every once in a while and that may be how they justify having the diesel but they are just lying to themselves.  Paying to buy the 3/4 ton truck and then paying on top of that for the diesel isn't justified to pull the boat to the lake 6 or 7 times a year...

1/2 ton trucks are great for these folks.  1/2 tons are really pretty much just cars anyhow, and the diesel will get a little better mileage than the gas engine.  I highly doubt that it will offset the price of admission over the time frame that most people will own the car though, but this isn't any different than what's going on now.

I say build the 1/2 ton diesel, then the posers can drive around in a diesel pickup that rides like a car and is all quiet and soft and squishy.  Then they can stop sissifying the real trucks (3/4 and 1 ton) so that they are less capable of doing the actual WORK that they should be doing.

</rant>

-Out

I agree with you.  But most people won't.

FWIW, I bought an Excursion cuz I got 3 kids that play football, baseball and softball.  We travel alot and bring LOTS of stuff.  I got the diesel just in case I got a boat some day and because of the fuel milage I get.  And the v-10 and v-8 Excursions are DOGS.  My diesel is souped up a bit and it hauls ass.  AND gets 16.5 mpg around town and 18 on the highway.  I hope Ford or Chevy or whomever comes out with a BIG FULL SIZED SUV with a diesel in it.  So when mine is old and tired I can get a new one.

Link Posted: 9/14/2007 7:07:48 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

<------- Mine.  

Supposedly the longest version of the Expedition is actually longer than an Excursion.
Link Posted: 9/14/2007 7:09:09 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

09 or 10 Ford will have a smaller diesel as well (I forget the volume at the moment)

I want Toyota to put a small diesel in their Tacoma, easily the best looking light-duty truck out right now. I just have no need for a 3/4 or 1 ton.

I've heard 4.4L for Ford. Also they'll have a 6.2L gas V-8.
Link Posted: 9/14/2007 9:42:46 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

<------- Mine.  

Supposedly the longest version of the Expedition is actually longer than an Excursion.

Close.  But not quite.

Excursion:

Expedition:

But if they put a diesel in it....... I'll buy one!!!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 9/27/2007 7:48:53 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yes

They also offered them in a non turbo configuration.

The only diesel engine to suck worse than this was GM's early 80's Oldsmobile 350 diesel conversion.
Link Posted: 9/27/2007 8:52:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Are there any definite plans for a mid-sized truck with a diesel? I know there are rumors here and there, but nothing set in stone.

I really want a diesel engine for the longevity, but I don't particularly want a large truck. My driving would be mostly offroad and to haul shit around.
Link Posted: 9/27/2007 9:14:06 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He said half ton.

Nice.

It's an image thing.

<rant>

</rant>

-Out

FWIW, I bought an Excursion cuz I got 3 kids that play football, baseball and softball.  We travel alot and bring LOTS of stuff.  I got the diesel just in case I got a boat some day and because of the fuel milage I get.  And the v-10 and v-8 Excursions are DOGS.  My diesel is souped up a bit and it hauls ass.  AND gets 16.5 mpg around town and 18 on the highway.  I hope Ford or Chevy or whomever comes out with a BIG FULL SIZED SUV with a diesel in it.  So when mine is old and tired I can get a new one.

LOL, you ARE the guy StillPlaysWithTrucks talked about. You did not list a single use that a 1/2 ton Suburban would not have been able to perform and at a lower overall cost, too.
Link Posted: 9/27/2007 9:22:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Here are some rumors for the next-gen (2009) Dodge Ram:

When it goes on sale late next summer, there should be four revised engine choices. The base 215-hp / 235 lb-ft 3.7-liter V6 will be replaced with the 260 hp / 265 lb-ft 4.0-liter V6 used in the Dodge Nitro. The Ram's 4.7-liter V8 will get the same makeover as in the Dodge Dakota, boosting power to 300 hp/ 330 lb-ft, and the 5.7-liter HEMI V8 will get a bump in power. A new Cummins V8 diesel motor will also be available [we think this is the lower-power model for 1500, and that the bigger straight-six Cummins will remain on the 2500/3500]. Both gas and diesel V8s will use 6-speed automatic transmissions.

link

Link Posted: 9/27/2007 12:25:37 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He said half ton.

Nice.

It's an image thing.

<rant>

</rant>

-Out

LOL, you ARE the guy StillPlaysWithTrucks talked about. You did not list a single use that a 1/2 ton Suburban would not have been able to perform and at a lower overall cost, too.

Not exactly.  I said I MIGHT get a boat.  And I don't agree with your "lower overall cost" idea either.  I think a diesel is cheaper in the long run.  Most obvious item is fuel is cheaper and I get better mileage then a suburban would.

Either way, I didn't get a diesel to be cool.  I'm already PLENTY cool enough without it.

Link Posted: 9/27/2007 1:06:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Chevy came out with the 5.7 liter diesel in 1978, the year my dad and my grandpa both bought them. The 6.2 liter came out in 1982. Better, but not that much better. The 6.2 stayed until they came out with the 6.5 turbo. A 6.2 was still available that year, I believe it was 1994 or 95. (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I'm sure you will) The nice thing about a diesel is they get better mileage and will idle for hours consuming very little fuel. Jeep has one in a little rig that gets great mileage. A former employee had a little Nissan or Datsun pickup that got 45 mpg. I had or had been around diesel pickups and cars since 1978. Being a farm boy, we never paid for fuel in town, and my 82 diesel Toronado would run me 110 miles to college, 90 miles 4 times a week round trip to the girlfriends house, and 110 back home for the weekend without filling up. No horsepower also helped in not getting Ex of Accel tickets too.

You guys can talk all you want about needing a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel pickup to haul your camper or boat. I have seen 1/2 pickups do ten times that amount of work hauling cattle, flatbeds full of hay, a box full of sand, and all kinds of spring breaking, frame twisting shit, and still chase coyotes across corn fields and pastures, only to be cleaned up for a saturday night date.

I drive a 1/2 ton Toyota Tundra. I would like to have a small diesel in it for mileage reasons. It would be nice to take it hunting in western Nebraska all day without filling up for fuel at 4 pm, when the nearest gas stations are 30-40 miles away. Yes, I too haul a boat 10 times a year like it isn't even back there. I also haul my motorcycle at the same time. Gear is stuffed around the bike and the boat is full of coolers and supplies, along with 2 adults and three kids. It weighs it down some,but it isn't that often or that bad. Why would I trade 355 days of a superior ride for a rough rider to use 10 days a year? Now, if I was still farming, I would have a 1 ton diesel to haul cattle, sand and hay,  and a 1/2 ton so my teeth wouldn't rattle out of my head when I didn't need it.

IN SHORT, YOU DON'T NEED A  3/4 OR 1 TON DIESEL TO HAUL A BOAT OR GET GROCERIES OR A FEW PIECES OF LUMBER, BUT YOU MAY NEED A 1/2 TON DIESEL TO DRIVE COMFORTABLY YEAR AROUND. IF DIESEL OR GAS GOES UP TO $6 OR $7  A GALLON, THE DIFFERENCE IN INITIAL COST WOULD BE MOOT.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2007 1:11:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Here yo go:

www.autoblog.com/2007/06/15/gm-announces-clean-diesel-v8-for-pickups-and-the-hummer-h2/

Mark your calendars, because we're calling today a watershed moment for the advancement of diesel's acceptance in the U.S. General Motors has just announced a new 4.5L V8 Duramax turbo-diesel powerplant it plans to use in the Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra half-ton pickups, as well as the HUMMER H2. The new oil burner is expected to produce at least 310 horsepower and 520 ft-lbs. of torque. It features dual-overhead cams, four valves per cylinder, a variable-vane turbocharger and aluminum cylinder heads with integrated manifolding that helps keep the overall package small enough to fit in the same space as the automaker's small-block gas V8s.

That's right, just imagine the possibilities. Wherever GM uses a small-block V8 gas engine, it could potentially use the 4.5L V8 Duramax diesel. In a few years we could be driving diesel Impalas, diesel Camaros, maybe even a diesel Corvette! To quote GM's press release, the engine's small size gives it "the flexibility to introduce this engine in a wide variety of vehicle applications should there be future market demand." Indeed.

GM estimates that the engine will improve fuel efficiency by 25%, reduce CO2 emissions by 13% and decrease particulate and NOx emissions by at least 90% in its GMT900 pickups and the HUMMER H2. Whoever said the HUMMER H2 was on its way out will likely be proven incorrect after this engine debuts. Scheduled to be built at the GM Tonawanda engine plant outside Buffalo, NY, the 4.5L V8 Duramax diesel will be 50-state emissions compliant and meet 2010 diesel emissions standards, as well. GM claims its new diesel will also have NVH (Noise, Vibration and Harshness) levels approaching those of today's current gas V8s, though we'll have to wait and see if that wish comes true. That wait should end in a couple of years, as the automaker states the engine will be available in Silverado, Sierra and H2 models built after 2009.

UPDATE: Pickuptruck.com's Mike Levine has learned from GM that despite sharing its name with the older 6.6L Duramax diesel that was developed in partnership with Isuzu, the new 4.5L Duramax was developed completely in-house by GM.

Check out GM's full press release after the jump for more details.

[Source: GM]

PRESS RELEASE:

GM Plans First Light Duty V-8 Clean Diesel For North America
High-efficiency V-8 scheduled for pickup trucks under 8,600 pounds Gross Vehicle Weight and HUMMER H2
Low emissions, high performance and excellent fuel economy
Expected to deliver class-leading torque, power and refinement
Manufactured at the GM Powertrain Tonawanda engine plant
TONAWANDA, N.Y. – General Motors Corp. will introduce a new, state-of-the-art 4.5L V-8 Duramax turbo-diesel that improves engine fuel efficiency by 25 percent, reduces CO2 emissions by 13 percent and cuts particulates and NOx emissions by at least 90 percent for North American light duty trucks and the HUMMER H2 built after 2009.

The premium V-8 diesel is expected to deliver class-leading torque, power and refinement while maintaining a significant fuel efficiency advantage over comparable-output gasoline engines.

The new dual-overhead cam, four-valve V-8 diesel engine will fit within the same space of a small-block V-8 gasoline engine. This compact size is made possible by using integral cylinder head exhaust manifolds, integral cam cover intake manifolds and a narrow block.

"This new GM light duty diesel is expected to become a favorite among customers who require excellent towing ability and fuel efficiency," said Tom Stephens, group vice president, GM Global Powertrain and Quality. "It will meet the stringent 2010 emissions standards, and it will be compliant in all 50 states, making it one of the cleanest diesel vehicles ever produced."

Environmental benefits of the new engine include a 13-percent reduction in CO2 versus gasoline engines, and at least a 90-percent reduction in particulates and NOx compared to diesel vehicles today. This will be GM's first engine to use a selective catalytic reduction NOx aftertreatment system with a diesel particulate filter to help achieve the Tier 2 Bin 5 and LEV 2 emissions standards.

Technical highlights of the engine include aluminum cylinder heads with integrated manifolding; a variable-vane turbocharger with intercooling; a Compacted Graphite Iron (CGI) block for a stronger and lighter engine base (compared to lower-strength aluminum or heavier grey cast iron); and fracture-split main bearing caps and connecting rods for a precise fit. An electronically controlled, ultra-high-pressure, common-rail fuel system is used, which has the ability to inject fuel five times per combustion event to control noise and emissions.

"This new V-8 is not only a clean diesel meeting the toughest emissions requirements in North America, it also delivers an effortless performance feel because of its high torque across the speed range," said Charlie Freese, executive director of GM Powertrain Diesel Engineering. "It is also significantly quieter than other diesels on the road today, with noise and vibration performance approaching gasoline V-8 levels."

Freese said the new V-8's compact size enables it to fit in the envelope of a gasoline small-block engine, which provides GM the flexibility to introduce this engine in a wide variety of vehicle applications should there be future market demand.

The premium V-8 diesel engine is expected to deliver class-leading refinement, horsepower and torque and fulfill multiple vehicle applications with ratings in excess of 310 horsepower and 520 lb-ft of torque.

GM (Opel, Saab, Vauxhall and GMDAT ) currently offers 17 diesel engine variants in 45 vehicle lines around the world. GM sells more than one million diesel engines annually, with products that offer a range of choices from the 1.3L four-cylinder diesel engine sold in the Opel Agila and Corsa, up to the 6.6L V-8 Duramax diesel sold in full-size vans, heavy duty pickups and medium duty trucks in the U.S.

GM first introduced the Duramax diesel 6.6L V-8 in the U.S. in the 2001 model year and since then, customer enthusiasm for this heavy duty diesel has been outstanding. In fact, GM's heavy duty pickup truck market share has jumped nearly tenfold in the six years that Duramax engines have been offered.

General Motors Corp. (NYSE: GM), the world's largest automaker, has been the annual global industry sales leader for 76 years. Founded in 1908, GM today employs about 280,000 people around the world. With global headquarters in Detroit, GM manufactures its cars and trucks in 33 countries. In 2006, nearly 9.1 million GM cars and trucks were sold globally under the following brands: Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GMC, GM Daewoo, Holden, HUMMER, Opel, Pontiac, Saab, Saturn and Vauxhall. GM's OnStar subsidiary is the industry leader in vehicle safety, security and information services. More information on GM can be found at www.gm.com.

Happy motoring,
Bill
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 12:55:46 PM EDT
[#28]
WOW.........another useless vehicle. This is why those of us that use our trucks to make a living have to buy used trucks. 10 years ago, a new dually w/diesel was $20,000, now they are $50,000. The reason they are so high is because everyone wants a diesel powered vehicle, or a truck big enough to move a house........just to go to soccer practice. Why in the hell does a lawyer, doctor, or banker need a damn diesel truck?

Who in the hell actually NEEDS a diesel powered 1/2 ton ???? NOBODY!!!!! All it is going to do is make diesel fuel to where us normal working joes can't afford it.
In case nobody knows it, diesel fuel was only .80 cents a gallon 10 years ago. The only reason it is $3.00 now, is because everyone just HAS to have a diesel engine uder their hood.

Before you know it, everyone will be driving Peterbilt's and Kenworth's to the grocery store, because their 12-door, 8 1/2 ton, 16 cylinder, 40-foot-long, 17,000 pound SUV just doesn't quite haul enough groceries, frozen coffee, and soccer balls anymore.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 1:04:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quit bitching.  In five years most cars will have a diesel option.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 2:08:00 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

<------- Mine.  

That was the only Ford vehicle I'd ever consider buying.  Why they left a profitable market segment they had to themselves, I'll never figure out.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 2:21:17 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Good summary

Duramax 4500

Navistar for Nissan

Link Posted: 10/5/2007 6:38:10 AM EDT
[#32]
You know the Excursion was profitable... how?

<----Waiting on your link to Ford's financials...
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 7:08:04 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
WOW.........another useless vehicle. This is why those of us that use our trucks to make a living have to buy used trucks. 10 years ago, a new dually w/diesel was $20,000, now they are $50,000. The reason they are so high is because everyone wants a diesel powered vehicle, or a truck big enough to move a house........just to go to soccer practice. Why in the hell does a lawyer, doctor, or banker need a damn diesel truck?

Who in the hell actually NEEDS a diesel powered 1/2 ton ???? NOBODY!!!!! All it is going to do is make diesel fuel to where us normal working joes can't afford it.
In case nobody knows it, diesel fuel was only .80 cents a gallon 10 years ago. The only reason it is $3.00 now, is because everyone just HAS to have a diesel engine uder their hood.

Before you know it, everyone will be driving Peterbilt's and Kenworth's to the grocery store, because their 12-door, 8 1/2 ton, 16 cylinder, 40-foot-long, 17,000 pound SUV just doesn't quite haul enough groceries, frozen coffee, and soccer balls anymore.

I love when people KNOW what everyone NEEDS.  You guys crack me up.

You think that most of these people you see riding around in big 4-door 1-ton diesel-powered trucks ACTUALLY need them ? You can look at a truck and tell whether or not it is being used for what it was intended, or if they are just soccer players and lawyers  posing. Like I said, the reason those of us that actually use our trucks cannot afford to buy new is because rich dummies are buying them, trying to keep up some sort of image. Damn, if I didn't haul hay, livestock, and farm equipment, there is no way that I would own a 1-ton truck.
I am simply saying, if you don't actually NEED a large pickup, don't buy it. If your lifestyle doesn't require the use of a dually or other large vehicle, don't go buy one.

I am not saying that I know what everyone needs, but I DO know that most of the people you see DO NOT need a vehicle nearly as big as what they are driving.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 7:19:18 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You think that most of these people you see riding around in big 4-door 1-ton diesel-powered trucks ACTUALLY need them ? You can look at a truck and tell whether or not it is being used for what it was intended, or if they are just soccer players and lawyers  posing. Like I said, the reason those of us that actually use our trucks cannot afford to buy new is because rich dummies are buying them, trying to keep up some sort of image. Damn, if I didn't haul hay, livestock, and farm equipment, there is no way that I would own a 1-ton truck.
I am simply saying, if you don't actually NEED a large pickup, don't buy it. If your lifestyle doesn't require the use of a dually or other large vehicle, don't go buy one.

I am not saying that I know what everyone needs, but I DO know that most of the people you see DO NOT need a vehicle nearly as big as what they are driving.  

Everyone has there own defintion of "need".  What one man needs another man may want.  And visa versa.

I certainly don't NEED an 85k Range Rover to drive to work either, but I want it.  Would a 10k Chevy Cavalier do the same thing?  Yup.  But I wanted a Range Rover.

I don't think I'll ever fully utilize the towing capacity of my Excursion.  I only NEED to tow about 5k pounds.......so should I buy a truck that can only tow 5k pounds??  Why??  So everytime I use the truck to tow something it's at it's limit??  No, so I buy a truck that can tow 15+k pounds, and I never know it's back there.  Less stress on the truck and less stress on me worrying about it.  Did I NEED it?  No.  But I WANTED it.

Link Posted: 10/5/2007 1:58:08 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
You know the Excursion was profitable... how?

<----Waiting on your link to Ford's financials...

Because it had about 75% commonality with the Super Duty, so the investment was shared.  It was run on the same line as the Super Duty, so there was minimal dedicated equipment investment.

And I also worked for Ford's largest supplier for 5 years and the Excursion was always spoken of as the most profitable vehicle in the company.

But hey, believe what you want.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 2:07:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Your first ine is not neccessarily indicative of profitability.

You second is.

Thank you.

That said, a 3.0L I6 would be GREAT for the half tons.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:18:37 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He said half ton.

Nice.

It's an image thing.

<rant>

</rant>

-Out

StillPlays,

Your rant is my reason for owning one. Except that I try to put 300k+ miles on a vehicle. I own a boat and a travel trailer that I use several times each, each year. I also do alot of landscaping, so a Super Duty is a little overkill however, my new boat will weigh about 9500 pounds. So a diesel half ton that can do all of that plus comfort for all the road trips made, is a match made in heaven for myself.

I, for one, am looking forward to the day I can walk into a dealership and have a few options for light duty trucks in diesel and turn around and buy my wifre a diesel car. I am a huge diesel lover its just that there are not that many good options out there right now but that looks to change in the next few years.

It would be great to if they were all built for greaser-friendly installation after the warranty period expires.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:55:37 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They'd make great democrats, wouldnt they? I mean, nobody NEEDS an assault rifle, right?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top