User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2005 1:34:15 PM EDT
Officer Dies During Training Exercise
Police Await Autopsy Results

POSTED: 8:42 a.m. EDT August 11, 2005
UPDATED: 4:18 p.m. EDT August 11, 2005

Story by nbc4.com

WASHINGTON -- D.C. Police Chief Charles Ramsey said an officer who died during a training course may have been drinking too much water.

Police said 25-year-old Officer James McBride got sick on Tuesday and died Wednesday.

Too much water consumption can lead to an abnormally low concentration of salt in the blood, which can lead to swelling in the brain, police said.

McBride was a two-year veteran of the force.

He was on a five-day bicycle-training course when he became ill, police said.

The medical examiner will perform an autopsy to determine the exact cause of death.

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:35:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Read about something like this a coupla weeks ago. Seems that over-hydration is a fairly common problem among distance runners.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:36:52 PM EDT
[#2]
dont know about DIE, but ive drank enough on two seperate occasions that i became ill, dizzy and vomited it all up.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:37:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Water is good, but for extreme exercise, a good sports drink or at leadt salt tablets need to be added to the regiment.  A large portion of the material in sweat is salt, which your body needs to survive.

ETA: spelling
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:38:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I think it basically, and please correct me if I sound wrong.

But that it is not that you drink too much water, its that you don't replace enough electrolytes, so that it can no longer diffuse into your system.

I have heard of the same thing about some kids that took Ecstasy.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:39:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I believe it is called hypo-natremia.  They briefed us in basic training "Consume 1/3-3/4 canteen per hour, not to exceed 12 per day" because of such an issue.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:41:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I believe it is called hypo-natremia.  They briefed us in basic training "Consume 1/3-3/4 canteen per hour, not to exceed 12 per day" because of such an issue.

hell...where did you go to basic?  they made us chug water then hold our canteens open, upside down over our heads to show they were empty...then sprint over to the spicket and refill them....and repeat.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:45:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I've seen it on a few occasions. One was a guy with a mental condition called,"psychogenic polydipsia." (translated: crazy dude who drinks water nonstop), and a marine grunt who was told by his gunny to always drink plenty of water, so he carried a gallon jug around.
The issue with too much free water, in an otherwise healthy person, is the dilution of electolytes.
Sodium, potassium, calcium, magnesium, etc, are needed in the body at a certain concentration to perform many physiologic tasks. From cardiac conduction to brain activity, too much or too little of essential elements can cause cardiac disrythmias, seizures, etc, up to and including death. As for water: most people cannot even tolerate the volume of ingested water to cause these problems. For most people I'd still reccommend staying hydrated and drinking water quarts and pints at a time. Not GALLONS!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:48:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I have fond memories of basic and drinking water till getting sick. One time we got smoked for two hours or so straight and probably drank like 6 canteens of water in that time, didn't throw up but it did come out the other end with some force. Boy do I miss those days.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:56:33 PM EDT
[#9]
There was an article in the paper a month or so back. A kid was pledging a fraternity, they made him drink a crazy amount of water and he ended up dying from it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:59:51 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
dont know about DIE, but ive drank enough on two seperate occasions that i became ill, dizzy and vomited it all up.

I did that in the Army once. I knew we were going on a long movement and I overhydrated because I was humpin the radio (PRC77) spare batteries and 400rnds og belted 7.62

Thought I was having heatsroke but wasnt the case. If I ate more I woudl have had a better salt balance but I didnt eat breakfast that morning as I lost my mre on the jump.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:01:48 PM EDT
[#11]
A 50-50 mix of sports drink and water is the better hydration choice. Straight Gatorade or Powerade is much too strong for many people.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:05:29 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

hell...where did you go to basic?  they made us chug water then hold our canteens open, upside down over our heads to show they were empty...then sprint over to the spicket and refill them....and repeat.

yeah that sucks i saw so many guys puke, now i realize how fucking stupid some of those drills were.

Yeah make people throw up that will help hydration.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:06:44 PM EDT
[#13]
A kid died in Air Force Basic Training a year or two ago from this.  I discovered in jump school that the best electrolyte replacement drink is Pedialyte (sp?).  I drank about a half liter of the stuff every day.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:13:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Five years ago a guy at work took on a bet that he couldn't drink 5 gallons (from a cooler refill) in one hour. He did it, collapsed and had to go to the ER. He was in the hospital a few days.

He got his $20.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top