Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/3/2006 1:14:31 PM EDT
One day I was going through the junk drawer in my workshop and discovered a small cowbell I had had for years.  I could tell why I came up with this hair brained idea but it would take to long.  

I got a leather thong and looped it through the eye on top of the bell and I hung it on the door knob of the back door which leads out to the back yard.  It hanged down about 9 inches.  I then proceeded to teach my dog to ring the bell when she wanted to go outside to do her business.  She was a rescue dog; half Australian shepherd and half lab; about 2 years old and pretty bright.  Thus began the trial and error.

I learned that hand signal only take 3-5 repetitions for a dog to get it; verbal commands about 70 reps.  So anytime she went up to the door to go out, I would say "Ring the bell" then I would ring the bell and let her out.  She finally got it after about four months. I'd about given up.  when I wasn't expecting it; she did it.

When friends would visit; she would ring the bell; they were amazed.  I was amazed.

Well after 12 years of ringing the bell, she died.  I went out and got a very nice German Shepherd Dog pup; six weeks old.  You guessed it: it was ring the bell time.  The bell hadn't moved.

Using the above method, the young pup pulled it off in 4 days.  So yes you can teach an older dog new tricks, but it's a lot quicker with a young pup.

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:26:12 PM EDT
[#1]
No.  But I trained a cat to use the toilet.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:28:36 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Now that's something, well done!
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:33:03 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

that would be cool.. were you ever tempted to just push it in?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:36:48 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And flush?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:44:55 PM EDT
[#5]
My parent's cat figured out the ring the bell trick himself. The bell jingled when the door opened, so the cat figured out to ring the bell himself when he wanted out.

Smart cat, he also figured out how to cut his way into the dry cat food boxes...
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:46:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And flush?

No flush.  But I tell you what, it took some getting used to, hearing tinkle tinkle in the bathroom while all human family members are watching TV, then watching a cat walk out of the bathroom.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:17:05 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Would you share how you did it?  I have a 15 year old tabby that is pretty bored.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:22:16 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Would you share how you did it?  I have a 15 year old tabby that is pretty bored.

You can buy a training kit for your cat.

www.arcatapet.com/item.cfm?cat=6453

www.karawynn.net/mishacat/toilet.html
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:22:55 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They sell kits for it.
Litter box shaped like a toiles seat.
Get them used to it.
Move the toilet shaped box to the top of the toilet seat.
Get them used to it.
remove the litter so they are going in an empty litter box on top of the toilet
get them used to it
open the bottom of the litter box so they are going on a toilet seat shapped litter box over the toilet, actuall going in the toilet
Get them used to it
Remove the box completely.
Cat goes in toilet.

Takes a couple months.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:26:53 PM EDT
[#10]
i heard the trick to getting a dog to "ring the bell" was to use peanut butter
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:27:15 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They sell kits for it.
Litter box shaped like a toiles seat.
Get them used to it.
Move the toilet shaped box to the top of the toilet seat.
Get them used to it.
remove the litter so they are going in an empty litter box on top of the toilet
get them used to it
open the bottom of the litter box so they are going on a toilet seat shapped litter box over the toilet, actuall going in the toilet
Get them used to it
Remove the box completely.
Cat goes in toilet.

Takes a couple months.

Thanks guys.  That is so cool.  Only in America.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:30:32 PM EDT
[#12]
NO......But I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:57:08 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm on my third dog that does this. I thought I was the only one who taught the bell trick. The Golden that I have now took less then a week when she was a pup. The only trouble is when they are pups is to do your part and let them out every time. Into the second week she rang the bell every hour or so when she was inside after that its all gravy.

-JTP
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:26:37 PM EDT
[#14]
I tought my dog to ring the bell to go out as well.  The funny thing was that sometimes at night, he'd ring it just for some company down stairs.  Sneaky guy.  I got him to stop by pushing him out the door and letting him in after a couple minutes.  He learned pretty quick that ringing the bell ment he was going out side wether he liked it or not, and now only rings it when he wants to go out side.  As for the cat, I never let her in.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:31:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Yep.  My mother told me to ring a little bell each time we took my lab out as a pup.  That was three years ago.  It did not take long for my lab Suzy to pick it up, and now every time she needs/wants to go out the she hits it with her nose once or twice.  We know when to let her out.  It works great and is not annoying and she does not bark, except to come in.

BT.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:37:02 PM EDT
[#16]
My dog rings the "water bell"; when she wants a drink of water and her bowl is empty she lifts her foot up and down in the bowl so that her nails clank against it.

Kinda stupid but it works.  My wife wonders who trained who though....

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:24:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Do the ez thing and install a dog door. Put one in 15 years ago and don't know how we got along without one before that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top