Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2005 11:02:07 AM EDT
Maybe we can keep race out of this thread!!!

Here are your contributions at work:

It won't stop here.  None of this money goes to people who pay taxes, owned a home, and had insurance, regardless of their needs or losses.

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:03:24 AM EDT
[#1]
No I didnt.
And I dont plan on it either. Those people already get enough of my money from the gubment, I sure as shit aint gonna give them more of it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:03:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Every April 15th.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:04:11 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Every April 15th.

Beat me to it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:05:29 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=41429

It won't stop here.  None of this money goes to people who pay taxes, owned a home, and had insurance, regardless of their needs or losses.

I be needin some mo money--Baby and big moma needs shoes
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:06:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Nope, let them eat cake!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:07:00 AM EDT
[#6]
What else is new
We have been supporting these people for 3 generations, Why stop now !!
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:12:39 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Every April 15th.

+1
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:13:36 AM EDT
[#8]
I donate every other week, on payday.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:14:33 AM EDT
[#9]
I donated at church on Sunday.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:15:02 AM EDT
[#10]
I donated clothes, but they were not accepted.  They weren't new and didn't have the tags still on them.  Fuck em...apparently beggars can be choosers.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:15:57 AM EDT
[#11]
My elected officials donated my money for me.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:17:19 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

HEY! thanks for the card numbers......now off the Ammoman.com J/K
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:18:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Charity begins at Home--I've been helping 20 family members with their hotel rooms
for the last 2 weeks
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:25:07 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ya thanks just scored me a case too!!  
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:27:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Yes, I donated in mid-March, well before the April 15th deadline.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:42:16 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ya thanks just scored me a case too!!  

As did I - But I'm sure I will be donating some of that ammo back to those people.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:43:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Funny, we all joke about misusing the credit card number but I know no one here would actually do that.  However, these people have no problems taking the card, using it, and demanding more.  Then when we don't pony up more we are racists.

ETA: Everyone note we are hearing about DEBIT CARDS here explicitly.  That would indicate to me that they plan to add more money to the accounts as "needed".
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:46:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Pay up and write the check--Don't be a Racist!!
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:53:18 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I'm sorry, race entered this thread before it was written.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:59:42 AM EDT
[#20]
I did. To the red cross. You have no idea how pissed off I am. Can you demand your money back?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:01:05 PM EDT
[#21]
ETA, just for me, are we positive the money for these card came from donations to the red cross?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:08:38 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
ETA, just for me, are we positive the money for these card came from donations to the red cross?

I've heard that it came from the RC, and I've heard it came from FEMA (aka the taxpayers).  I have no idea which is right.  I know there's an RC logo on the card, but that doesn't necessarily mean much.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:08:40 PM EDT
[#23]
I know who NOT to call when SHTF in my neighborhood!
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:10:29 PM EDT
[#24]
No, i'd rather do grunt services instead
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:12:37 PM EDT
[#25]
I did, to both the Salvation Army and the American Red Cross.

I do not regret my contributions to either even though I am WAY under-employed at the moment.  

I HOPE, and somehow I know that I won't get the answer I want to hear, that the RC or whomever handed out these cards, restricts the use to food, clothing, and emergency supplies....which cigarettes and beer are absolutely not.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:13:00 PM EDT
[#26]
I donated to the Red Cross... and I regret it.

Should have gone Salvation Army.

Those RC bastards are just handing my cash to someone... that is just WRONG.

- BG
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:16:49 PM EDT
[#27]
link

Debit Card Giveaway Goes Awry in Houston
At the Astrodome, Frustration, Chaos End in Lockdown

By Lisa Rein and Christopher Lee
Washington Post Staff Writers
Friday, September 9, 2005; Page A12

HOUSTON, Sept. 8 -- What was billed as an innovative effort to help victims of Hurricane Katrina get back on their feet brought chaos and confusion Thursday as thousands of evacuees jostled for promised federal and private cash assistance.

In Houston and other cities, word spread quickly via radio and television that the Federal Emergency Management Agency would dole out debit cards worth $2,000 starting Thursday -- emergency grants to help increasingly tired and desperate evacuees buy food and gas, and pay mounting hotel bills and other expenses.

At the same time, the American Red Cross launched a similar card program in amounts up to $1,500, depending on family size.

The Red Cross cards were available Thursday, but the FEMA cards, part of a pilot program limited to Houston shelter residents, will not be ready until Friday at the earliest, federal officials said.

Sweltering in 93-degree heat and frustrated by disorganized relief efforts and long lines, people began pushing, shoving and yelling as they jockeyed for position. As a result, police locked down the Astrodome complex at 9 a.m. Many in the crowd did finally get the Red Cross cards.

"We're making up a lot of this as we go," said Joe Leonard, a Coast Guard lieutenant in charge of the Astrodome operation. "It's a dynamic situation. We don't have a playbook for this."

It was the first time FEMA has used debit cards, said Butch Kinerney, an agency spokesman in Washington. Officials said they would monitor how well the program is working and may consider expanding it to other regions as early as next week.

The cards, which bear the MasterCard logo, can be used at ATMs and at any commercial outlet that accepts MasterCard. There are no restrictions on what they can be used for.

"This is a tremendous undertaking to try to get debit cards out with $2,000 on them to thousands of people," Kinerney said. "We've got plenty on hand, and we've got some more on order to make sure that everybody who is in the shelter down there that needs a card gets a card."

The debit cards are part of much broader disaster assistance packages available to storm victims that include small business loans, long-term temporary housing and money for home repairs, funeral costs, medical expenses, transportation and storage and other bills, Kinerney said.

Victims who are staying with relatives and friends, or who are in shelters in other regions, will not be left out, he said. They can get the $2,000 emergency grant right way through electronic direct deposit to their bank accounts or in the form of a FEMA check delivered by mail or hand by the U.S. Postal Service.

In Houston, many would-be recipients stood in anger, confusion and desperation outside the arena's locked south gate.

"They told us to come back at 10 this morning for the card," said Velma James, 56, whose pink plastic wrist bracelet gave her access to the Astrodome complex.

James pointed to her swollen ankles. "I can't stand too long," she said. "I've got hypertension and I'm diabetic. . . . Every night I dream about bodies floating by my house. And now we can't even get in there?"

Inside the gate, mounted police and National Guard soldiers dressed in army fatigues stood guard over a line visible for a half-mile, bulging with children who relief officials said did not need to be present. Many families did not know that.

To qualify for the debit cards and emergency grants, all prospective recipients, even those in shelters, must register with FEMA through the agency's Web site or by calling 800-621-3362. The agency has computers and phone banks available at shelters to enable evacuees to sign up. Hand-written paperwork would not work, Kinerney said, because evacuees' information must be entered into FEMA's computer database before any money can be disbursed.

An applicants' primary residence must have been affected by the storm for the person to qualify for assistance. Applicants must provide FEMA with their Social Security number, information about insurance coverage and gross household income. Grants are limited to $2,000 per household and at least one person in the household must be a U.S. citizen.

Kinerney said officials know that some evacuees may lack documentation; the government will provide them grants anyway.

"We're going to have to take people's words for it and then get back to them later and make sure that they've told us the truth," he said. They will be audited later, and Kinerney said that "if it comes back and we find out that you've defrauded us, then it's a federal crime. We'll file charges against them, absolutely."

Houston police Sgt. David Crane said the stadium entrances were sealed off Thursday. "The issue is people coming off the streets that don't belong in there trying to get benefits," he said. FEMA has been swamped with applications for federal assistance. Eight days after Katrina hit, the agency had received more than 350,000 applications, as opposed to 66,000 after last year's Hurricane Charley in Florida.

But confusion reigned here. From evacuees to relief officials, many were uncertain whether FEMA and the Red Cross were offering the same card.

The Red Cross said it would expand its cards, which are funded by private donations, to other cities in the next few days.

Lee reported from Washington

Goddamn it! COCK! BALLS! I'm never giving to the red cross again. You try to do a good deed and you end up buying a bunch of scum crack and a new x-box.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:21:21 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Charity begins at Home--I've been helping 20 family members with their hotel rooms
for the last 2 weeks

God for you...that is what ppl. should be doing...taking care of their own...
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:26:07 PM EDT
[#29]
FEMAME

What a bunch of ill prepared ass clowns.  Same goes for the LA state government.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:27:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Hell no.  Our state and federal taxes have supported these people for years why would I give more?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:32:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Ladies and Gentlemen.  Take a look at the background in that picture at the top of this thread.  There are alot of kids who got caught up in this whole thing.  Many of them died because of it but so many are living throught it.  They can't choose their parents or their destiny in life.  All they know is that they are in a world of shit right now.  

I am as appalled as everyone else at the savages and the butchery that they brought upon that city.  Will my money get to those kids?  I don't know.  But I am not in the position to hand-deliver a check to them so I am going to have some faith that the little bit that I did contribute will mean something to some good people.  

You're damn right I contributed.  I donated to Samaritan's Purse yesterday and I feel alot better for it
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:35:51 PM EDT
[#32]
every single month for the last 35 years,  they take money from me, so I have been "contrubuting" long before it was "stylish"  

so no, I don't feel one bit guilty that I'm not giving them more money.

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:40:36 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

You're damn right I contributed.  I donated to Samaritan's Purse yesterday and I feel alot better for it

I saw the Grahams on Hannity & Colmes the other night. I believe they are reputable, God-fearing men who will ensure the funds are used wisely.

This is my last week of working at the Red Cross before my government internship. We have evacuees on the way to Cleveland tomorrow morning, and we're currently providing for 62 families who have made their way to the Northeast already. Many of the people are coming with their in-state families to get some assistance.

With my move, I don't have a lot of money to donate. My new apartment took most of it. But I've given a lot of my time volunteering and some money that my RC chapter used to provide care packages for the 62 families that came to us. I don't regret it. I believe that what goes around comes around, and God knows what I intended that money for. If people misuse it, it'll come back on them eventually.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:43:52 PM EDT
[#34]
I gave to one of the pet funds.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:46:00 PM EDT
[#35]
I would donate clothes, but I donated all of my old clothes back in January when I moved.  I won't donate money, as I don't know how it will be used.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:47:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Unfortunately I just donated my wife

She's a trauma nurse and is shipping out next Monday, along with her fellow Red Cross volunteers
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:55:23 PM EDT
[#37]
No...our government will take care of them.

But I did donate to the Asian Tsunami.....as their government will NOT take care of them, and they will be quite grateful for their aid......even the guy taking food from a US Soldier, wearing an Osama Bin Laden T-Shirt.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:07:16 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Look at the pic again, it has RED CROSS printed across it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:53:35 PM EDT
[#39]
So far I have given a weekend of my time plus the expence of driving from Atlanta to Gulfport with a trailer load of water , gasoline and dry goods, Oh! and 62 billion dollars, Im done.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 2:42:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Heck no! I'm not supporting scum and I want more local, state, and national tax cuts!
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 3:52:32 PM EDT
[#41]
I see a beaming smile in the pic. posted and it remined me of a article in the newspaper that stated the recipients can 'spend the money anyway they choose to'......guess what they are'nt getting a nickel from me by my own donation and best of luck for there future whoever you are,I believe those monies sent will be ill spent on frivolus nothings.

ps. scuse' my diction and proper sentence structure.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top