Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2006 7:54:52 AM EDT
OK, I messed up on the VCR programming on Monday and missed "24."  I am disappointed, my son is very disappointed.  If someone out there taped it, and wouldn't mind sending it to me in a hurry, I would greatly appreciate it.  Either charge me something reasonable for the tape, postage, etc, or I will return it to you and cover your costs.

Anyone?  Please post a message here and IM me for my address and other negotiations.  I am primarily interested in getting my hands on a copy ASAP, and if you will send it on faith (of repayment) I wouild appreciate it.  (BTW, I am rated on the EE, so I do have a track record on paying for my goods.)

At any rate, I am trying to get a copy of this prior to next Monday's show.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:59:48 AM EDT
[#1]
http://thepiratebay.org/details.php?id=3438449
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:05:14 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Thanks, but I am not really comfortable with this form of P2P sharing, and I am not sure about its legality.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:09:28 AM EDT
[#3]
My original offer still goes.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:11:38 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks, but I am not really comfortable with this form of P2P sharing, and I am not sure about its legality.

Ok so let me get this straight. You want someone to copy the 24 episode and send it to you. However, you are weary of downloading it from someone who made a copy of the episode.

Am I correct?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:18:39 AM EDT
[#5]
If i could, i would, but i don't have a VCR anymore, sorry. I would suggest downloading, but i'm not sure where. I do recommend you get a tivo, add your favorite shows to a "season pass" & you'll never have to worry about them again.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:19:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Would a dvd work?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:22:40 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok so let me get this straight. You want someone to copy the 24 episode and send it to you. However, you are weary of downloading it from someone who made a copy of the episode.

Am I correct?

I am just not sure as to the legality of P2P transfers.  I appreciate your suggestion, and I may do it.  It is my belief that VCR copies used for personal viewing are OK, but I am just not sure about P2P transfers.

I'm just trying to be careful, especially as I am doing this so publicly.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:28:42 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Am I correct?

I am just not sure as to the legality of P2P transfers.  I appreciate your suggestion, and I may do it.  It is my belief that VCR copies used for personal viewing are OK, but I am just not sure about P2P transfers.

I'm just trying to be careful, especially as I am doing this so publicly.

I'm sure its more legal to download it yourself than ask someone over the internet to make copies and then send them across state lines.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:29:17 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Would a dvd work?

I guess so (I have the hardware).  As I indicated above, I just want to do this in some appropriate way, so that no one gets in trouble for copyright infringement.  That's one of the reasons for my offering to return the copy.

I'lll take what I can get.  Please let me know.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:44:16 AM EDT
[#10]
E-mail sent.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:45:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Copying most anything from the TV is illegal.  Also, if for some reason you were allowed to copy the show/movie, you are not allowed to distribute it or show it in public anyways.

So no matter what you do, it is illegal.  Hell, having a "hard copy" would be the more illegal offense, though im only saying this because it is the most enforced.

Stop worrying, the MPAA has bigger problems then you d/l'ing 1 episode of "24".  If you didn't see the post, the MPAA is in trouble for copyright infringment themselves, so go wild.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:49:03 AM EDT
[#12]
TIVO IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO.  GO TO BED EARLY SO YOU AREN'T TIRED AT WORK THEN WATCH THE NEXT DAY AND FAST FORWARD THROUGH ALL THE COMMERCAILS
SWEET!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:51:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Unless I screwed up, I have it on VHS cassette.  I'll check.  I'm still waiting to receive a copy from the previous week (1/23/06), which has not shown up yet.  Once I get the previous week (hopefully today?), then I will watch both it and the latest episode together.  

I can then 'pay it forward' to you.

You might not get the 1/30/06 episode in time for the weekend, which means you would have to tape next week's episode and watch it after receiving the tape from me.

Let me know if this works for you, or if you are able to get a copy sooner from someone else.

Regards,
Brian
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:54:22 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm sure its more legal to download it yourself than ask someone over the internet to make copies and then send them across state lines.

After consulting with the closest thing I have to an IP lawyer, I offer to borrow and return a recording.  I'm just trying to stay on the right side of the law.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:56:10 AM EDT
[#15]
I think I sent you an IM but computers and I don't always get along.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:56:28 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Copying most anything from the TV is illegal.  Also, if for some reason you were allowed to copy the show/movie, you are not allowed to distribute it or show it in public anyways.

So no matter what you do, it is illegal.  Hell, having a "hard copy" would be the more illegal offense, though im only saying this because it is the most enforced.

Stop worrying, the MPAA has bigger problems then you d/l'ing 1 episode of "24".  If you didn't see the post, the MPAA is in trouble for copyright infringment themselves, so go wild.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:00:31 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Copying most anything from the TV is illegal.  

Wrong.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:03:24 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

After consulting with the closest thing I have to an IP lawyer, I offer to borrow and return a recording.  I'm just trying to stay on the right side of the law.

Sharing TV programs that have been recorded is perfectly legal. Selling those programs is where it gets illegal. TV shows are completely different then movies. feel free to download away.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:05:29 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
If i could, i would, but i don't have a VCR anymore, sorry. I would suggest downloading, but i'm not sure where. I do recommend you get a tivo, add your favorite shows to a "season pass" & you'll never have to worry about them again.  

+1

The season of "24" was the only reason that I got a DVR.  I set it up to record the series, and now I'll never miss an episode.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:01:01 AM EDT
[#20]
I think I'm covered.  Thanks for all the responses.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:03:14 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your loss.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top