Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2004 10:02:44 PM EDT
There was a woman sitting in the audience behind Bush wearing the t-shirt/sweatshirt with the UPSIDE DOWN US flag on it.. This was brought to the attention of a local radio host afterwards. I don't have a copy of the debate on tape so I can't go back and see it..Anyone have a copy they can reference?

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 10:03:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 10:08:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Undecided, huh?
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 10:09:18 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Undecided, huh?

+1
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 10:31:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Fox news replay of it on now.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 10:34:35 PM EDT
[#5]
She shook President Bush's hand with a huge smile..
It wasn't meant that way, just whoever designed the shirt screwed up..
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 10:42:13 PM EDT
[#6]
An upside down flag means the country is in distress.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 10:47:15 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Actually, it's a maritime distress signal..

But many use it to signify the country is in distress....
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:39:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Anyone think that perhaps she was referencing Kerry's book to remind us of who he is?  It wasn't very effective, but it could have been her intent.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:41:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:00:42 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wonder if anybody takes an upside down flag seriously anymore, ie, notify emergency services?

No, people don't know jack anymore unless they learned it on TV .
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:05:32 AM EDT
[#11]
I saw it too and thought it strange but after seeing her with Pres Bush at the end of the debate Idismissed it as someone who was trying to show their love of country and did not realize h their mistake.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:31:33 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, there are 16 maritime signals for distress as referenced in Rule 37 and defined in Annex IV of the COLREGS... and an upside down american flag is not one of them.

USC 4-1-8-a says that the flag will not be displayed with the Unioun down, except as a signal of dire distress or instance of extreme danger to life or property.

But it is not specified as a maritime signal, nor is there an understanding of any type for marinars at sea to recognize anything other than the 16 above mentioned signals.

Also, the same USC (4-1-8-d) says that the US Flag will NEVER be used in advertising IN ANY MANNER WHATSOEVER -- imagine how many vendors on this board alone are in violation of that?
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:43:03 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wonder if anybody takes an upside down flag seriously anymore, ie, notify emergency services?

No, people don't know jack anymore unless they learned it on TV .

or the internet
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 12:15:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Have seen a number of cars in my area (welfare/dumbocrat) with upside down flagbumper stickers on them... usually sporting sKerry stickers as well.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 12:24:23 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Have seen a number of cars in my area (welfare/dumbocrat) with upside down flagbumper stickers on them... usually sporting sKerry stickers as well.

I can honsetly say in my neighborhood we have one keery sign and about 1000 Bush signs.
Of course the amount of signs and stickers means nothing to the election.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top