Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2005 8:47:34 PM EDT
I am pretty sure they did, sometime in the late 70's. Can't remember what happened though. Anybody know of it?

Ben
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 8:53:43 PM EDT
[#1]
The Vietnamese handed the Chinese their asses.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 8:55:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes they did 2 border flair ups if my memory serves me right. I used to know some of the details but that has been quite awhile.

Well as I remember the Chinese fared badly considering their numerical superiority. The Chineses got spanked it ended in stalemate and a no mans land on the border.

The Chinese and Vietnamese have been historical enemies for hundreds of years.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 8:58:54 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Yes they did 2 border flair ups if my memory serves me right. I used to know some of the details but that has been quite awhile.

Well as I remember the Chinese fared badly considering their numerical superiority. The Chineses got spanked it ended in stalemate and a no mans land on the border.

The Chinese and Vietnamese have been historical enemies for hundreds of years.

That is the way I remember it too.

The Chinese occupied Vietnam for centuries on & off. You can see the Chinese influence in Vietnamese food.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 9:10:20 PM EDT
[#4]
When I was in China a bit back it was interesting watching their action movie hero blowing way Vietnamese Solders like rag dolls.  The Vietnamese were even wearing the red star.

Confusing to say the least!
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 10:59:33 PM EDT
[#5]
WTF? Really .

Ben
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 11:40:59 PM EDT
[#6]
They fought on and off for about 800 years if I remember my history of the Vietnam war class correctly. Sometimes the chinese would win, sometimes the Vietnamese would. I seem to remember a prince named Nguyen finally drove the chinese out and now 3/4ths of all males are named for him now.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 11:59:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Back in the old days
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:03:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Any more information on it? Sure does sound interesting if China ever does try to attack Taiwan, perhaps the Taiwanese might enlist the aid of the Vietnamese.

Ben
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:04:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Vietnam also invaded Cambodia and put a thumping to the Khymer Rooge.

Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:07:46 PM EDT
[#10]
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-Vietnamese_War

Following the Vietnamese war, the Khmer Rouge and the the Vietnamese came into conflict over some territory dispute. Angered at Chinese backing of the Khmer Rouge, the Viets invaded Cambodia. In retaliation, China invaded Vietnam. They left in a hurry after discovering what decades of war does to an army.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:08:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:09:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:09:43 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I am pretty sure they did, sometime in the late 70's. Can't remember what happened though. Anybody know of it?

Ben

long before that... we should have taken a lesson from the history books and stayed out.  I mean that with all due respect to all the men and women who served.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:11:12 PM EDT
[#14]
They may yet again,China claims those islands off the Vietnamese coast,there's oil there.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:15:59 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
They may yet again,China claims those islands off the Vietnamese coast,there's oil there.

Not soon though.

They're focused on NK right now.

Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:18:17 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ben

long before that... we should have taken a lesson from the history books and stayed out.  I mean that with all due respect to all the men and women who served.

Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:21:15 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a Vietnamese co-worker who carries a strong grudge against Chinese for historic reasons, so I
always assumed China did something bad to the Vietnamese at some point.

Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:22:04 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ben

Vietnam was not fought in the right way.

Either fight right or stay out
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:29:18 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ben

sorry bud... not a troll.  Just one that reads and understands history.  It wasn't about communism and democracy to those people... it was about people invading their country.  And when that happens... those people have the drive and desire to fight to the last man.  We didn't have that, that's why we pulled, there was no chance for victory.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top