Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2015 9:48:50 PM EDT
I've narrowed my choice down between these two table saws. Which one would you guys pick?  I am leaning towards the Dewalt because it has a nicer fence.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 11:16:11 PM EDT
[#1]
it all comes down to the fence but as bad as Dewilt has pissed me off in the past, I shan't be buying anything else from them

the only good tool I have of theirs is a 4.5" angle grinder and it is probably rebranded from someone else as it has been great

I bought a Sears contractor saw in the 80's that had a horrible fence and I ended up buying a Biesemeyer fence that has been perfect

but it cost as much as the saw
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 2:16:41 AM EDT
[#2]
What do you plan on doing with said saw's?  I can churn out builder grade cabinetry with the Dewalt saw all day long on the job site, some men can't.  It's come's down to the man behind the tool.

Link Posted: 8/20/2015 6:31:25 AM EDT
[#3]
I have been using the Bosch for a couple of years now. Get a good blade and it does a great job. The fence doesn't bother me though I have never used a "good" one so don't know what I may be missing
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 8:36:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I actually had both.  But I just sold one to a co-worker just starting his family out who bought a new house. Here are some facts:

First, they are both fine machines and will last.  Here is my ten cents of advice:

1)  Both require a aftermarket miter gauge.  Look at Osborne or Incra.
2)  Buy new blades.  The stock blades suck on both.  
3)  If you will be doing large sheet goods or large heavy boards, and won't have a second pair of hands- be careful with the Bosch!  The stand is good, but I have had it tip a handful of times when working alone.  
4)  When set-up the Dewalt requires a larger footprint than the Bosch.  
5)  When storing, the Bosch requires a larger footprint than the Dewalt.
6)  The Bosch gravity stand is less strain on the back to set-up and take down.  
7)  The Dewalt has a 32" rip capacity compared to the 24 or 25" on the Bosch.  That is a big difference depending what you do with the saw!
8)  Dewalt has onboard storage for accessories if you take off the guards and stuff.  
9)  Dewalt has dual (above and below) dust extractions

And do not let anyone fool you, the digital fence on the Bosch does not compare to the rack and pin fence on the Dewalt.  If you have ever been to a trade show and talked to a Bosch rep, they openly state their fence is "best in class," but not the best our there.  For a portable saw, you cannot beat the Dewalt fence for accuracy; ability to stay where you put it; and ease to adjust and square up- which you need to do each time you replace the blade, as blade thickness will change your fence measurements!

I can't say anything bad about the Bosh.  It served me well.  But at the end of the day, Dewalt had more features and benefits than the Bosch as I did more and more advance work.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 12:01:55 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What do you plan on doing with said saw's?  I can churn out builder grade cabinetry with the Dewalt saw all day long on the job site, some men can't.  It's come's down to the man behind the tool.

View Quote

Cabinets, some construction projects, and probably making some furniture for myself. I know direct drive saws are far from ideal but I don't have the space to allow for a bigger and more appropriate saw.  When I want to do woodworking projects I often do them in the driveway or I move the cars and bikes out of the garage before starting. All my tools are stored on a shelf under my workbench or on a shelf/hung from the walls.  Regardless it will be faster, more accurate/repeatable, and easier than what I am currently working with: circular saw with a cutting guide or kregg guide, jigsaw with guide, router with a guide, and a mix and match myriad of hand saws and planes.

I have successfully built cabinets this way, and it is painfully slow and requires a lot more attention to detail and measurements.  Same goes for some of the benches and assorted other outdoor furniture projects I have built.

Link Posted: 8/20/2015 3:42:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Cabinets, some construction projects, and probably making some furniture for myself. I know direct drive saws are far from ideal but I don't have the space to allow for a bigger and more appropriate saw.  When I want to do woodworking projects I often do them in the driveway or I move the cars and bikes out of the garage before starting. All my tools are stored on a shelf under my workbench or on a shelf/hung from the walls.  Regardless it will be faster, more accurate/repeatable, and easier than what I am currently working with: circular saw with a cutting guide or kregg guide, jigsaw with guide, router with a guide, and a mix and match myriad of hand saws and planes.

I have successfully built cabinets this way, and it is painfully slow and requires a lot more attention to detail and measurements.  Same goes for some of the benches and assorted other outdoor furniture projects I have built.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Knowing that- get the Dewalt!
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 12:49:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Buy the fence you want, if you hate the fence you'll hate everything else.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:50:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I ended up getting a Dewalt 7490X today for $440 after taxes (local Lowes was clearing them out at 10% off, and I got an additional 10% with my .mil discount) which I think is probably the best bang for my $$$.  Not quite the 7491RS in terms of rip capacities or as nice of a stand.  But after re-evaluating my needs/desires I will likely ditch the stand and mount this to a multi-purpose rolling cart I designed a while ago so I'll have a much greater left side rip capacity than if I were to just use the stand.  

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:25:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Now go get a Diablo blade for it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:50:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Now go get a Diablo blade for it.
View Quote

I'm between that or something from the Forrest lineup.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 1:32:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Freud Premier Fusion would be my first choice.

If I had to get something else, I would go with Forrest Woodworker II combination blade.

Then if I had to, I would go with CMT blades.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top