Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/26/2005 5:29:55 PM EDT
A detective told an acquaintance of mine that some rapists preferred that they set off an audible alarm when they broke into a house to rape a woman.  Supposedly they understand that most house alarms are false calls and that police are slow to respond - whereas the sound of a woman screaming her head off gets more immediate attention.  The loud claxons triggered by many home alarms conveniently mask all violence and noise associated with it.  

I am not sure how valid this opinion is but I thought it was interesting.  I would supply more details about the circumstances in which this conversation occurred to make the board members take me more seriously - but it concerns an ongoing investigation and I am not sure how wise it is to give specifics even beyond a possible legal duty not to do so.  

Can anyone with relevant experience confirm this train of thought?  Or recommend a good silent home alarm?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:32:14 PM EDT
[#1]
thats messed up
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:32:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Solution: Replace klaxon with sound of woman screaming.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:33:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep that's BS.  You want the loudest nastiest heathenist alarm imaginable.  Oh, 22 yrs JBT here.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:34:42 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Better solution: Add gun and training to woman and see who gets fucked then.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:35:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:35:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I would recommend a good .357
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:35:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Yep that's BS.  You want the loudest nastiest heathenist alarm imaginable.  Oh, 22 yrs JBT here.

Not in my opinion. A former neighbor had their alarm go off regularly & we came to ignore it. How often do we ignore car alarms now? What happens should the alarm wires get cut, BTW?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:40:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not in my opinion. A former neighbor had their alarm go off regularly & we came to ignore it. How often do we ignore car alarms now? What happens should the alarm wires get cut, BTW?

In my opinion if a police officer doesn't consider a home audible alarm serious, he should find another job.  How would the alarm wires get cut by a criminal, the wires in hidden in walls, attic, crawl space?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:40:49 PM EDT
[#9]
that actually sounds logical

checking SNOPEs
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:42:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Loud alarms are sometimes good for scaring off people that are trying to intrude. Some, talking burglars, don't care as they can get in and out quicker than the alarm company will call in the alarm.

Discrete alarsm are sometimes better at getting a crook captured, because they don't know the police are being alerted.

I think his theory is kinda sketchy. I find it more likely that certain rapist DON'T CARE that an alarm is sounding, as opposed to think it is less likely to bring a response than a woman screaming.

I also have a news flash, a woman screaming often doesn't result in the police being called at all.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:44:20 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

How would the alarm wires get cut by a criminal, the wires in hidden in walls, attic, crawl space?

The ones I've seen run outside to hook up to the alarm company much like a phone wire.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:51:23 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How would the alarm wires get cut by a criminal, the wires in hidden in walls, attic, crawl space?

The ones I've seen run outside to hook up to the alarm company much like a phone wire.

Not the ones I've seen, all run from the interior brain box to the audible alarm speakers, usually in the attic or in the eves.  But, once again we are not talking about the same thing.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:54:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Maybe the alarm should sound like a 12ga pump racking?
Cuz it's a fact that a burglar/rapist will run in terror at that sound.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:55:04 PM EDT
[#14]
My wife's backup:

No alarm required!  
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:56:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:00:41 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Maybe the alarm should sound like a 12ga pump racking?
Cuz it's a fact that a burglar/rapist will run in terror at that sound.

If it's to mask the sound of an actual 12 Ga getting racked, it's a good idea.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:06:31 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not the ones I've seen, all run from the interior brain box to the audible alarm speakers, usually in the attic or in the eves.  But, once again we are not talking about the same thing.

Many alarms hook up to the phone lines to talk to the alarm company . . . alarm goes off, alarm calls in to monitoring company who calls you . . . if they don't get you or you tell them to, they call the police.

There are remote phones, set up at a distance from the business (two businesses down, etc) hooked in by UHF.  Or cell phone packages which run about $10/month extra on your contract (but can call RIGHT NOW).

There is usually a way in or around things . . . like waiting for the target to get ready to go out and hit them while the alarm is off.  Most people will not have the alarm on while they are home, negating the value of having it except as a panic button.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:05:56 PM EDT
[#18]
What do they think of the sound of a .38 wheelgun?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:09:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Bullshit.

I have worked one, that is ONE burglary on a house with an alarm that was marked as such. A bad guy will always go for the easiest target because they are sorry, lazy, scared pieces of shit.

Rapists will scare or hurt a victim into quick silence.

ETA alarm calls do get monotonous at times but a good officer will always respond post haste (not code, mind you) and remember his tactics when responding.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:10:18 PM EDT
[#20]
the detective lacks intellectual integrity.
nonsense
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:22:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Here on our department that would not work. When we respond to home alarms our SOP is always the same...check it out completely and find a keyholder. Just like on DVs we don't just leave, we exhaust every possiblity until we are sure its false. And if it's a panic or elderly down alarms we will force entry if need be.

As far as response time we are lucky because its a smaller suburb (45,000 during work hours, 20,000 residents) so we are fairly quick.

The other undeniable fact is in this middle to upper middle class area all the people call and bitch about any alarm they hear or anyone they deem as "strange".

I just don't buy the logic unless the rapist wants to get caught. The few I have delt with in a patrol capacity are slithering scum who will run at any sound or chance to get caught.

Just my .02
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:24:36 PM EDT
[#22]
i have seen cops show up to verify the validity of an alarm.  sounds like somebody got promoted too quickly.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:27:37 PM EDT
[#23]
I suppose this confirms my fear that a minority of cops know as little about their quarry as they do about the Glock 40's that they are professional enough to carry.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:29:55 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Better solution: Add gun and training to woman and see who gets fucked then.

Bing-the-F-Oh.

HH
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:31:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:34:41 PM EDT
[#26]
We've had ours go off twice and gotten a police response while out. Both times it was 'cause somebody didn't close the backdoor all the way.

An alarm is great if you are away. I'm told that most criminals just avoid houses with security signs. Why bother with an alarm when you can rob a house that doesn't have one?

An alarm is also great if you are home. When I'm at home I sleep on the second floor of an old house. My parents are on the third. If somebody kicked in the front door you'd never hear it through those thick old walls.  The alarm would alert me to a problem, giving me a chance to get my firearm.

Basically, an alarm is a great addition to a home security system. That system is not just the alarm, but includes you and your weapon.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:36:57 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Or better yet, have it make the sound of a shotgun's action being pumped....that ought to make them run away.

Also, when is this country going to implement the dick-guillotine for convicted rapists?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:45:51 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Followed by sound of 12 gauge slide being racked.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:58:49 PM EDT
[#29]
My home alarm is audible but also routed to the PD via the alarm company.  You have to have a permit to enable this and false alarms are tolerated only in the minimum.  I'm not depending on it but the wife wanted it.  It's pretty simple and has worked as advertised in tests.  No break-ins in 2 years.  Just a small sign in front.

I do believe that car alarms are often ignored because they're easy to mess with.  Not the same with home alarms in my experience if people can tell the difference.  Often the alarm sounds are pretty similar.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:01:34 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Actually,  replace klaxon with sound of shotgun pellets tearing through flesh.

I think the "klaxon" part of an alarm is to wake you up and give you time to chamber a round and take cover, not to bring the jbt's.  Well, that helps but mostly it's to wake you up and give you time to get ready to tear his ass up.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:05:33 PM EDT
[#31]

They never came, not once. Why waste my money on having it monitored if they're not going to be bothered to come and investigate the situation?

Exactly.  It all depends on where you live.  Around here the police have  stopped responding to many 911 calls and all but stopped responding to calls from alarm monitoring companies.  I can see why here a rapist would want the sound of the alarm to mask the screams for help.z
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:05:56 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I think the "klaxon" part of an alarm is to wake you up and give you time to chamber a round and take cover

Big +1 on that.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:09:49 PM EDT
[#33]

new firearms really come with warning stickers now?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:15:46 PM EDT
[#34]

What happens should the alarm wires get cut, BTW?

The system should have a 1K resistor for the system to monitor. If the Ohm load changes on the line it will set off the alarm on that zone. So cutting the lines to the contacts will get you a red light and siren!

The line capture should be done at the box through the wall so that it is impossible for the person to cut the wire. Should the guy cut the incoming wire to the home that is exposed it is not a big deal as the RJ31X module will grab the capture before the return.

Also some systems monitor dial tone as well and will begin a trouble chime from console.

Don't let some jack ass put a "FREE" wireless system in your home!

Also a good alarm will have a hostage code in it as well. If the woman was entering the house and the bad guy told her to turn off the alarm she could enter the hostage code and all would look ok to the bad guy... No alarm, No lights and siren NOTHING!! Even the console will say system OK.  BUT it is in fact calling out and making things happen.

The stuff we put on the outside of houses could not be ignored. It’s just damn loud!
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:19:51 PM EDT
[#35]
I vaguely remember something in the news a while back about a PD in California ( I think) officially stating that they would no longer respond to home alarms because of the extraordinary incidence of false alarms taking the LEOs away from combating other crimes.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:21:57 PM EDT
[#36]

The system should have a 1K resistor for the system to monitor.

But how many actually do?  In the past three decades of looking at alarms for relatives, friends, and coworkers, I've never seen one that had EOL resistors.  I've added a few of them, but it's a major pain to add them after the system is installed.  You have to trackdown the end of every set of wires.z
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:22:08 PM EDT
[#37]
I heard that rapists hide under your car and slash your achiles tendon when you go to open your door rendering you helpless.  Then when they are done they remove your kidneys and leave you in a tub of ice.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:28:35 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

The system should have a 1K resistor for the system to monitor.

But how many actually do?  In the past three decades of looking at alarms for relatives, friends, and coworkers, I've never seen one that had EOL resistors.  I've added a few of them, but it's a major pain to add them after the system is installed.  You have to trackdown the end of every set of wires.z

Realistic answer: Who gives a F**K.  I really don't think someone is going to saw through my walls in search of alarm wires.  Not to mention the contacts are nomally closed (NC) which means if they "cut" a wire the alarm will go off.  

If the wires are in easily accessable locations, ESPECIALLY exposed interior wiring in a business where you can't trust all your employees, EOL resistors should be used.

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:36:20 PM EDT
[#39]

But how many actually do? In the past three decades of looking at alarms for relatives, friends, and coworkers, I've never seen one that had EOL resistors. I've added a few of them, but it's a major pain to add them after the system is installed. You have to trackdown the end of every set of wires.z

Damn whenever I track down the end of the wires they end up in the alarm Box!

And we ALWAYS install resistors.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:39:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Long long time ago I caught a peeping tom.  He'd wander through an apartment complex at night until he'd find a window with the blinds open far enogh to see a woman inside.  He'd start to choke the chicken and he'd bang on the window or do something to get her attention so she'd scream and that would get him off.  What he actually told me and the PD was he was taking a leak.  Story didn't fly because the cops knew him by his first name and corrected his story for me.  Therefore, some may get off on the excitement/increased risk.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:43:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Lemme tell ya, I got called twice by ADT b/c friends of mine put me on the 'contact list 'if it went off and sure enough it did. Itwas that one month period where the thing wasn't quite setup and was too thensitive.That fookin thing is unbelievable. Imagine trying to recall the secret codeword whilst the F)*_&_&in thing is blaring. I finally did, but my eardrums wera poundin fer hours! I got off that list MIGHTY quick.

moral of the story - I can't see anyone gettin a hard-on and fookin anything with THAT thing going offf! I mean Holy jesu, it's anatomically impossible!    
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:02:02 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
...Therefore, some may get off on the excitement/increased risk.

Kinda what I was thinking.

Rapists aren’t necessarily like burglars.

They’re sexual deviants – and that opens up the possibility of all sorts of erratic behavior.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:02:28 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I think the "klaxon" part of an alarm is to wake you up and give you time to chamber a round and take cover

Big +1 on that.

the round is already supposed to be chambered,
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:03:33 PM EDT
[#44]

Not to mention the contacts are nomally closed (NC) which means if they "cut" a wire the alarm will go off

Unless you use 4 UG connectors to make jumpers on the EXPOSED wire before you cut...
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:36:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Alarm systems are usefull as a deterent, and may even catch a burglar if the alarm is silent.

Alarm systems are absolutely useless when it comes to protecting you from a person wanting to cause you physical harm.  

Even in the small city that I work for, our response times average 2 to 5 minutes,  which is about 30 minutes quicker than the Sheriffs Office in this county, we (the police) are still not going to be able to get there in time to stop someone from hurting or killing you.  

Grab a stop watch and stand outside your front door.......start the clock and then enter the residence. (It takes about 5 seconds to kick in a door, even with multiple kicks.) Find your wife/girlfriend.....another 10 seconds........that leaves you about 1.5 to 4.5 minutes to shoot, stab, beat, rape or rob the occupant of the house before even the fastest police department gets there.

The bottom line is, alarms are great to scare off thieves while you are away..........but please, please, don't rely on an alarm to protect your or your family from all of the thugs in this world.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:47:18 PM EDT
[#46]
hmmmm, make it obnoxious, an old air raid siren, woman screaming, gunfire, soemthign similar.......

or oud music to hide the gunshots you are emptying into said criminal
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:52:49 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
www.xd-hs2000.com/shotshow2/show20.jpg

new firearms really come with warning stickers now?

No, but every LaserMax ships with a laser warning sticker.  Aparently required by law on any device containing a laser.  That is the first time I have ever seen anyone actually use the sticker.  So very ghey.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:09:33 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

In my opinion if a police officer doesn't consider a home audible alarm serious, he should find another job.  How would the alarm wires get cut by a criminal, the wires in hidden in walls, attic, crawl space?

Actually, we had our alarm go off on three separate occasions while we were out.  Our neighbors called us each time and we hurried home, thinking the police would be there soon.  They never came, not once.  Why waste my money on having it monitored if they're not going to be bothered to come and investigate the situation?  Glad nothing life threatening had happened.

Was it just an audible? You are assuming that a neighbor called the police rather than you. Don't give credit for too much sense.

If it is monitored you should inquire as to why you had no response.

Finally you need to find out why you have had 3 false alarms. You want your local officers wasting their time like that?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 2:12:32 AM EDT
[#49]
Sometimes rapists will just ignore alarms.  

My mother was a Police Dispatcher for 10 years.  I shit you not, she had a woman call in from a phone booth.  The rapist pushed her into the phone booth and sexually assualted her.  She knocked the phone off the hook and dialed 911, screaming the whole time that she was being raped and needed help.  The guy knew she was talking to 911, but didn't care.  He was still in the process of raping her when three squad cars pulled up.  Unfortunalty he didn't have a weapon on him, and wasn't shot while resisting arrest, he made it to jail.  Never found out what sentence he got.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 2:32:01 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Heheheh. Good one.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top