Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2005 5:33:34 PM EDT
I am getting ready to deploy shortly and need some recommendations/info.

I want better mag pouches for my M16, I am on a budget and a timeline.
I am a average sized male (5' 11", 36" waist, 44" chest) but getting in and out of a regular HMMWV with all my gear on is a fiasco (forget the cramped up-armors we're getting).
I want to cut down on the girth. I like the flat mag pouches sold by tactical tailor and by SKD tactical but want to know from somebody with first hand experience. I still need to carry basic combat load (I'd like a couple of extra too).

Also looking for a stand alone hydration pouch in AUC (advanced universal camoflage) (ACUPAT) that is insulated like my Camelback. I would like it to be able to attach to my IBASwith molle attachment points.

Anyone who can point me in the right direction or has any of these things for sale please email or IM me.
Thanks
A.J.

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 8:18:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 8:57:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I have found the best setup for me getting in an out of vehciles constantly is a drop leg pouch with 4 mags and a 2 mag pouch on my IBA.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 9:02:21 PM EDT
[#3]
check RANGER JOES out

Semper Fi!
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 9:18:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Blackhawk S.T.R.I.K.E. mag pouches work nicely. Cost less too.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:36:57 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I liked the Paraclete dual mag pouches I was issued over there. They are fairly unobtrusive and work well. You can get them at Lightfighter or Strategos.

So, we're going to get more gear when we get in country? 5 W's please
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:45:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:50:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:26:52 AM EDT
[#8]
First let me start by saying, I'm an 11Bravo (Infantry) and currently in the Sandbox here in the Baghdad area.  Hold your purchases for now is my advice.  Almost all of us spent money on stuff we didn't need, can't use, don't like or got the same thing by the time we all got here.  Now every soldier is different, every unit is different and every area is different so my opinion is what works/doesn't work for me.

This Army is filled with "gear whores." A lot of the stuff is worthless for the real-world situation here and we laugh at the "wannabee" Delta guys and such.  Funnier yet is the Fobbits with the high speed stuff that looks brand new cause they've never been outside the wire.

Camelbacs hydration systems etc.  Unless youre unit does long dismounts, don't bother on wearing one on your vest.  If you are riding around in Humvees waiting to get blown up like us, they are very uncomfortable in the tight spaces of the vehicle.  You're going to be drinking frozen water bottles anyway cause the last thing you want when it's 120 friggin' degrees out is tap water from your Camelbak.  You may carry a Camelbak in the Humvee/Bradley/etc. but you'll throw it one when you exit the vehicle for your mission.

As for Ammo pouches, we stick with the regular issue Molle stuff.  I had bought some SpecOps brand stuff (also available in the PX) and it works fine.  Honestly, Haji rarely gets in a gun battle with you here 'cause he knows he'll get smoked.  Oh he'll fire some shots here and there at you, when he isn't busy putting his IEDs & Mines in the road to blow you up.  This isn't "Black Hawk Down" here.  Maybe for the Marines in the West, but for us we HOPE FOR A FIREFIGHT just so we can shoot back at these little b*st*rds.

A ReadyMag is a comfort to have on my M4 though, like I said, you are unlikely to go beyond a magazine on a "typical" mission, if you get to fire at all.  The ROE has changed here and expect to fill out a SIR (Serious Incident Report) if you even fire a warning shot.

One thing I do like, that I have on my weapon is a Scope.  Having a 3x9 power scope on my M4 is a must.  It allows me to search for IEDs from a distance, monitor possible threats from the civilian population before they come within AK47 range (200m), and helped with positive threat/non-threat identification.  The 3x9 power mil-dot I use allows for close range hits with the 3x-power setting, and long range (300m +) precision shooting with the 9x-power setting.  Contrary to perception, you CAN engage close range targets quickly and accurately with your scope.  Red-Dots (M68) are fine, but don’t allow for magnification needed for P.I.D. at longer rangers.  Also dots would fade in bright sunlight on white targets (such as Iraqis wearing white “man dresses.”)  Rock River Arms “1-inch Hi Rise with Rings” allowed for quick detach/attach for the scope.  Army issued BUIS (Back Up Iron Sight) fits on M4/M16 flat top rails with RRA scope mount.

ALSO!!!! Bring a Surefire with Rail Mount for your weapon (assuming you have rails on them.)  It is a MUST HAVE here.  Bring extra batteries, don't use the Army green ones, they'll fry your light, though your supply might be able to get you some.

That's my .02 cents from this corner of the Sandbox.  YMMV

F.A.S. Out
(and almost a double-digit midget) In the Sandbox
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:46:42 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
First let me start by saying, I'm an 11Bravo (Infantry) and currently in the Sandbox here in the Baghdad area.  Hold your purchases for now is my advice.  Almost all of us spent money on stuff we didn't need, can't use, don't like or got the same thing by the time we all got here.  Now every soldier is different, every unit is different and every area is different so my opinion is what works/doesn't work for me.

This Army is filled with "gear whores." A lot of the stuff is worthless for the real-world situation here and we laugh at the "wannabee" Delta guys and such.  Funnier yet is the Fobbits with the high speed stuff that looks brand new cause they've never been outside the wire.

Camelbacs hydration systems etc.  Unless youre unit does long dismounts, don't bother on wearing one on your vest.  If you are riding around in Humvees waiting to get blown up like us, they are very uncomfortable in the tight spaces of the vehicle.  You're going to be drinking frozen water bottles anyway cause the last thing you want when it's 120 friggin' degrees out is tap water from your Camelbak.  You may carry a Camelbak in the Humvee/Bradley/etc. but you'll throw it one when you exit the vehicle for your mission.

As for Ammo pouches, we stick with the regular issue Molle stuff.  I had bought some SpecOps brand stuff (also available in the PX) and it works fine.  Honestly, Haji rarely gets in a gun battle with you here 'cause he knows he'll get smoked.  Oh he'll fire some shots here and there at you, when he isn't busy putting his IEDs & Mines in the road to blow you up.  This isn't "Black Hawk Down" here.  Maybe for the Marines in the West, but for us we HOPE FOR A FIREFIGHT just so we can shoot back at these little b*st*rds.

A ReadyMag is a comfort to have on my M4 though, like I said, you are unlikely to go beyond a magazine on a "typical" mission, if you get to fire at all.  The ROE has changed here and expect to fill out a SIR (Serious Incident Report) if you even fire a warning shot.

One thing I do like, that I have on my weapon is a Scope.  Having a 3x9 power scope on my M4 is a must.  It allows me to search for IEDs from a distance, monitor possible threats from the civilian population before they come within AK47 range (200m), and helped with positive threat/non-threat identification.  The 3x9 power mil-dot I use allows for close range hits with the 3x-power setting, and long range (300m +) precision shooting with the 9x-power setting.  Contrary to perception, you CAN engage close range targets quickly and accurately with your scope.  Red-Dots (M68) are fine, but don’t allow for magnification needed for P.I.D. at longer rangers.  Also dots would fade in bright sunlight on white targets (such as Iraqis wearing white “man dresses.”)  Rock River Arms “1-inch Hi Rise with Rings” allowed for quick detach/attach for the scope.  Army issued BUIS (Back Up Iron Sight) fits on M4/M16 flat top rails with RRA scope mount.

ALSO!!!! Bring a Surefire with Rail Mount for your weapon (assuming you have rails on them.)  It is a MUST HAVE here.  Bring extra batteries, don't use the Army green ones, they'll fry your light, though your supply might be able to get you some.

That's my .02 cents from this corner of the Sandbox.  YMMV

F.A.S. Out
(and almost a double-digit midget) In the Sandbox

Thanks FAS, that helps a little but I will not have rails, M4, don't even have a seat in any of the vehicles. i will probably be a fobbit but can't do anything about it.

The issue molle stuff your talking about is that the old LBE mag/frag pouches?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top