Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2004 4:06:23 PM EDT
I've been having a problem with my Dell Inspiron 5150, a notebook computer.  It has been overheating, then shutting down.  The computer is useless like this & Dell support is also useless.  Dell's call center is in India.  Is there a tech support phone # where I can talk to an American?  The computer is under warranty-I paid to have home service, but the a-holes don't show up.  They are supposed to replace the cpu, fan & motherboard.  This pisses me off-they jerks are supposed to fix computers in-home, within 24hrs.  Bullshit.  Anyone else have the same issues?
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:10:25 PM EDT
[#1]
You will encounter this with pretty much any computer manufacturer now.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:12:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I had an issue w/ dell today, actually talked to an english-speaking american. I was shocked......

FWIW, there's probably a way to reset the auto-shutdown feature if your computer isn't really hot. If really is hot....get it some more air.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:14:04 PM EDT
[#3]
forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=insp_bios&message.id=26985

www.notebookreview.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2183

I feel your PAIN!  I should've have bought an IBM, but COST was a major factor.  From what I understand, these line of Dell's suffer from a design flaw, which causes the computer to HEAT up.  However, Dell will not acknowledge this as they will possibly face a class action lawsuit.  Freaking DELL!
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:21:28 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I had an issue w/ dell today, actually talked to an english-speaking american. I was shocked......

FWIW, there's probably a way to reset the auto-shutdown feature if your computer isn't really hot. If really is hot....get it some more air.

The computer is gets very hot to the touch.  Dell tech support said the problem is with the cpu, fan & motherboard.  The sob's don't show up to fix it.  I don't know how many calls I've made, too many.  I personally know of others with 5150 overheating problems-it is a real overheating problem, the band-aid fixes do not work.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:22:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 5:00:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=insp_bios&message.id=26985

I feel your PAIN!  I should've have bought an IBM, but COST was a major factor.  From what I understand, these line of Dell's suffer from a design flaw, which causes the computer to HEAT up.  However, Dell will not acknowledge this as they will possibly face a class action lawsuit.  Freaking DELL!

You are right.  I had a hell of a time convincing tech support that I had an overheating problem.  As you stated, they won't acknowledge the problem.  Beer-I don't blame the tech.  He called twice saying Dell won't ship the parts.  Is there any computer company with AMERICAN tech support?  What good is the Dell warranty?
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 5:29:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 5:31:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 5:37:38 PM EDT
[#9]
But Dell sucks the big one.  A lot of rants about Dell and their shitty customer service.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 5:42:38 PM EDT
[#10]
I should have mentioned...my 'issue' today...

it was a bad HD on a dell 5150......took about 5 hours to run system recovery, get into safe mode, transfer some files, then reboot normally.

I'm expecting it to be dead when I get back to work tomorrow.

it runs VERY hot. at work, it stays suspended 4" in the air on a cradle to keep the air cicrulating.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 5:49:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 5:52:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You will encounter this with pretty much any computer manufacturer now.

The business side of HP/Compaq is completely kick ass, I've been using their servers for over 5 years now, and I love the service.

Of course you guys were talking about home use, so don't mind me.

I had an issue w/ an IPAQ last summer.....got on the phone friday evening, had the repaired IPAQ in my hand wednesday morning.

HP support rocks!
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 5:52:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 5:55:16 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
oh and just for the record ALL laptops run hot. IBM has had their share of problems as well.

mike

I've worked on my share of brands as well.. IBM laptops are, were, and will be the best.  The problem is they damn sure know it, and the cost reflects that.  Toshiba's "Toughbooks" look interesting, I'd love to tear one apart and see what makes it tick.  Make mine a Stinkpad though!
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 5:59:42 PM EDT
[#15]
To fix the 5150 overheating issue, get yourself a can of air and blow the vents out once or twice a month. It's caused by dust building up inside. There's a big thread on it over at the dell forums. You may consider removing your keyboard and blowing off the heatsink and processor if your can of air has one of those straws on it. Should take care of it.

(dell inspiron 5100 owner here) same problems.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 6:04:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:59:10 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
To fix the 5150 overheating issue, get yourself a can of air and blow the vents out once or twice a month. It's caused by dust building up inside. There's a big thread on it over at the dell forums. You may consider removing your keyboard and blowing off the heatsink and processor if your can of air has one of those straws on it. Should take care of it.

(dell inspiron 5100 owner here) same problems.

good start but the problem is an engineering  flaw with INADEQUATE cooling. Fans too small and inadequate air flow designed into the case. Ever opened up a laptop? VERY few have internal problem due to dust and debris in the heat sinks and air chambers. Most cases are a positve pressure design to keep just that from happening. Unless it is frequently used in a extreamly dusty or smke filled enviornment this is normally not a big problem.

mike

Inspiron 5100 owner here, no problems yet but, it has seen very little use. The overheating problem would'nt surprise me though, mine has a Intel 2.4 P4 desktop processor rather than the Centrino CPU. It gets warm!
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 5:15:05 AM EDT
[#18]
As I'm typing this, I'm on hold with Dell tech support for the umpteenth time.  They keep sending the wrong parts to repair my 5150..this is beyond old.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:02:36 AM EDT
[#19]
After weeks of having a useless Dell Inspiron 5150, Dell has shipped the correct parts-a cpu, fan & motherboard.  The computer does not overheat any more & is running the way any reasonable user would expect.  The tech said Dell used the improper cpu-that's what was causing the overheating issue.  Nevertheless, Dell needs a good swift kick in the balls for dragging their feet.  I hope all users of 5150s call Dell & insist on the new parts.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:27:40 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

This is what you get when you buy a major-brand PC

Allways buy local...

That way you can take it (laptop OR desktop) back to where it was assembled & watch them fix it...
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:40:01 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
oh and just for the record ALL laptops run hot. IBM has had their share of problems as well.

mike

They all run hot.  Thus we do not call them 'laptops' any more.  They are not meant to be used sitting on your lap.  

Unfortunately, most of our support for consumer users is outsourced to India or Panama.  The Panamanian guys aren't too bad, but the Indian guys are tought to speak to.  They are usually script kitties.  Just call and keep calling.  When they ask if you've done this and that, say that you have.  Tell them that you have run the 32 bit diagnostics, and the machine overheated and shut down.  Keep calling until they set up a service call to replace the system board/CPU/fan.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top