Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/3/2004 4:47:46 AM EDT
With Republicans controling Washington shouldnt we all put heavy pressure on our Senators and Representatives to ammend the Constitution to define the 2nd Ammendment ? I think we have a unique opportunity here that we should not overlook.
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 5:13:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Aww come on,
Am I wrong in thinking this is possible ?
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 5:39:25 AM EDT
[#2]
What do you mean by "define". That would require someone getting charged with a weapons crime and it going before the courts, wouldnt it? Or is it possible to pass something through congress to further define an amendment? If thats possible, wouldnt the democrats just un-define it whenever they were back in power (hopefully never but it'll happen)?
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 5:41:09 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
What do you mean by "define". That would require someone getting charged with a weapons crime and it going before the courts, wouldnt it? Or is it possible to pass something through congress to further define an amendment? If thats possible, wouldnt the democrats just un-define it whenever they were back in power (hopefully never but it'll happen)?

Could be...

But if defined clearly as an individual right, we could probably get rid of some major gun control laws while we have the definition.  After that, even if the Dems got back into power, it would be difficult for them to recreate all the laws we overturned.  

Just a thought...
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 5:45:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't mean to pee in your Wheaties here but I think the chances of overturning any type of gun control would be bad ju-ju.  The only reason the AWB is gone is because there was a time limit.  A gun law with no time limit will be here forever IMHO because a vote to endanger the children will cost as many seats as was gained in '94. Or not.
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 5:47:41 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
With Republicans controling Washington shouldnt we all put heavy pressure on our Senators and Representatives to ammend the Constitution to define the 2nd Ammendment ? I think we have a unique opportunity here that we should not overlook.

They already did.  It made no difference in the courts.
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 5:49:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Seems like it is already well defined to me.

It would be better to spend the money to educate the public in the English language, and history.
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 5:51:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Amending the Constitution is a daunting task in itself, much less letting politicos tamper with the wording.  Be careful what you wish for!  

The best protection is a strictly conservative SCOTUS.
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 6:06:59 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Amending the Constitution is a daunting task in itself, much less letting politicos tamper with the wording.  Be careful what you wish for!  

The best protection is a strictly conservative SCOTUS.

I agree but giving SCOTUS a clearly defined individuals RKBA to use in their rulings would be a plus for us. A constituional ammendment can stand against a liberal SCOTUS.

Link Posted: 11/3/2004 6:39:22 AM EDT
[#9]
I am against amending the constitution, even if it would benefit a cause that is very important to me.

Frankly, if I were asked to vote for said consitutional amendment, I would vote against it simply for the reason that the constituiton is fine the way it is.

My example would be Prohibition.  It seemed like a good idea at the time, and then when political winds changed they amended it back out.
I feel the same way about any other amendments including the flag burning amendment.  

We can get what we need done in other ways.  The constitution is not our plaything.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top