Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2005 9:36:41 AM EDT
Saw the "Mad Money" guy Jim Cramer going nuts over ATK (Alliant Techsystems Inc). He said to get in before it hits $80. They supply lots of defense stuff, including bullets. Lots to like here.

So at this time it's at $75.25. I'm a beginning investor, not ready for individual stocks (mutual funds for me), but I plan to keep an eye on this one. Certainly sounds promising. Your thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:13:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Not commenting re the stock.

Re Cramer, I don't trust him at all.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:18:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Defense company stocks are best bought in a time of peace, when nobody wants them.  Then sell them after the war time activity has peaked.

I can't remember the original French quotation, but its translation is "buy on the cannons, sell on the trumpets".

Having said that, I recognize the possibility that ATK might go much higher, but I think that there are better opportunities out there.

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:28:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Cramer's main point was that ATK recently had a good quarter, but because of the the Thursday/Friday selloff, they are a real value. He was also pushing Haliburton.

Interesting to see what ATK does this week.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:41:12 AM EDT
[#4]
When someone on TV is telling you to buy, he is generally trying to sell. As a begining invester i believe its good to watch commentaries to help get a feel for how the markets move, and how investors react to "news" But take it slow, more people get poor quick then get rich quick.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:10:22 AM EDT
[#5]
He said that about SWB (smith and wesson) last week that they're a buy.  The stock shot up on volume and price about 1 dollar in a day ($5-$6 dollars) and then has declined every since.  Gets the old pump and dump going.  I've owned SWB since It was at 3, it's around 5 now, but I'm going to hold until 8-9.  I'm in it for the long run, not a day trader like this Cramer crack head is.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:40:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Buy low, sell high. Not the other way around.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:35:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
As a begining invester i believe its good to watch commentaries to help get a feel for how the markets move, and how investors react to "news"

Agreed. Today's close: $77.29
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:54:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
As a begining invester i believe its good to watch commentaries to help get a feel for how the markets move, and how investors react to "news"

Agreed. Today's close: $77.29

So did you buy?

PS - Like your signature.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:05:22 PM EDT
[#9]
In general most investors like to use Cramer's comments as contrarian indicators, IOW do the opposite of whatever he says.  He's notorious for telling people to buy something only to have the stock dump the next day.  It's funny to watch him back peddle afterwards.  Happens all the time.  All those analysts are there to make money for themselves and their funds at the expense of the retail investor.

Do your own homework.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:21:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
So did you buy?

No, I just posted the topic because it seemed ARFCOM friendly (ATK manufactures bullets). Will we need more or less bullets in the future? As has been suggested by many other people, I plan on watching and learning.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:48:31 AM EDT
[#11]

I've owned ATK for about 5 years. If it goes over 80 and doesn't split, I'll probably do some profit taking.

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:51:34 AM EDT
[#12]
When I worked for ATK after the spinoff from Honeywell Defense & Marine it was really cheap, I still haven't sold any of it
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top