Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2006 6:36:33 PM EDT
OK, after a lot of thought about the matter I have decided to give my S&W Model 19 2.5" .357 (that I currently carry as a truck gun) to a friend who needs a good pistol and switch my truck/BOB/SHTF pistol to a 9mm high cap auto.  I already have a new SIG P228 that I have stashed away for a rainy day.  I have owned several SIGs and Glocks in the past and really liked all, but the Glock 34 was the best 9mm I've ever had.

Do I sell the P228 and buy a Glock 34 or use the P228?  I already have 4 mags for the SIG so wouldn't have to buy any more.  I know that SIGS are great but IMHO Glocks are too.  I'm tired of riding the fence and have to do one or the other.  Any suggestions?

I'm definitely going to go to a 9mm because my buddy really needs a pistol, he has never shot a pistol, and I figure that the Model 19 with some 148gr. HBWCs will be a good way to start him out.  Also, having 45 rounds ready to go in my truck instead of 18 would be nice.

Easy of carrying is really not a factor, it just sits in the passenger seat of the truck.  I carry a 2" .38 revolver.

Thanks in advance for the opinions!
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:38:41 PM EDT
[#1]
you already have the SIG and mags for it. To sell it means you're taking a loss.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:40:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Your "trunk gun" is a pistol?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:40:48 PM EDT
[#3]
While 9mm doesn't excite me to start with, I certainly wouldn't get rid of a Sig or get a Glock.

That's the view from here.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:42:00 PM EDT
[#4]
why stick with a pistol?

Get a Kel Tec SUB2000.  It's a folding carbine that will take your existing Sig mags, and folds up small enough to toss under the seat.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:42:55 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
you already have the SIG and mags for it. To sell it means you're taking a loss.

+1

Then budget aside for a Glock 19 if you really want to.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:47:11 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
While 9mm doesn't excite me to start with, I certainly wouldn't get rid of a Sig or get a Glock.

That's the view from here.

I'd go a little further and state that I wouldn't EVER get rid of a Sig for a Glock, but save your money for a Glock if you want to.  They're not bad guns at all...they're just not Sigs.

Btw...don't leave your gun in your vehicle.  There's been way too many guys reporting that their guns have been stolen out of their cars/trucks.

HH
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:47:39 PM EDT
[#7]
[SteyrAUG]In other news ice cream still tastes better than dirt[/SteyrAUG]

That still cracks me up.

Go with the Sig.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:51:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'd go a little further and state that I wouldn't EVER get rid of a Sig for a Glock

my thoughts exactly
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:55:58 PM EDT
[#9]
How will it be stored?

I don't know about newer Sigs, but I do know older ones (80's; my dad carries an 80's made Sig as his duty weapon) can and do rust if neglected.

If Sig has changed their finishing process, cool.

Otherwise, if it's something you're going to load up, throw into the glove box, and totally forget about on years on end...I hate, HATE to say it, but the glock might be a better choice.

However, if you plan on doing basic maintaince (wiping it down, stripping, cleaning, and oiling every 6 months or so), I'd say stick with the Sig; you've already invested in it.

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:00:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Keep the Sig and think real hard about a Kel-teb carbine or Glock if you really want one.

I got dibs on the 228 if you decide to sell it anyway though.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:02:00 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Your "trunk gun" is a pistol?

"TRUCK"

The Mossy 590 is in the back seat loaded with Remington tactical (low recoil) 00BK.
That's as close to a "trunk" as I can get in my truck, unless the toolbox is considered.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:07:49 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
How will it be stored?

Otherwise, if it's something you're going to load up, throw into the glove box, and totally forget about on years on end...I hate, HATE to say it, but the glock might be a better choice.

However, if you plan on doing basic maintaince (wiping it down, stripping, cleaning, and oiling every 6 months or so), I'd say stick with the Sig; you've already invested in it.

I keep my S&W (and plan to do the same w/ the auto) in an unlatched hard plastic single pistol case sitting in the passenger side front seat.

I shoot my CCW gun (the 2" .38) and my shottie and my S&W Model 19 monthly and plan to also shoot and clean the auto monthly at least, more often if I can hide from the wife and kids often enough!  So it won't be placed out of reach (under seat or glovebox) ever and will be shot and cleaned reasonably often.

That's a good point about the money factor, I hadn't thought about it that way.

Thanks again
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:10:43 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
How will it be stored?

I keep my S&W (and plan to do the same w/ the auto) in an unlatched hard plastic single pistol case sitting in the passenger side front seat.

I shoot my CCW gun (the 2" .38) and my shottie and my S&W Model 19 monthly and plan to also shoot and clean the auto monthly at least, more often if I can hide from the wife and kids often enough!  So it won't be placed out of reach (under seat or glovebox) ever and will be shot and cleaned reasonably often.

That's a good point about the money factor, I hadn't thought about it that way.

Thanks again

No problem

My Sig 228 is my car gun as well Though, that's mostly because I don't have a good belt/holster for it..

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:24:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Get the glock, if it gets stolen you wont feel bad about it.  Some of us would be relieved to have such a thing taken off our hands.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:32:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Both.  
No really.  Get both.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:52:31 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Both.  
No really.  Get both.

I can't afford it, and I'd rather concentrate on just one pistol....shoot it more, more familiar with it, etc.  Fewer mags and holsters to keep up with.  Zeroed with one type of ammo, won't have the chance of the wrong ammo in the wrong pistol.  All the Glocks (M17, M19, M34) I've ever had liked 147gr., my old SIGs (a P226 and P228 that I had years ago) liked 115gr.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:55:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Dont get rid of the P228, as they are going to be getting very scarce soon.  Glock G17 would be my chgoice for a truck pistol though.

However, a truck gun should be a rifle in a rifle caliber.  It should be relatively low in cost, and be reasonably accurate, 6inche groups or better. IMHO, the SKS, Enfield(Jungle Gun preferably), Mini-14, AK, lever action thutty-thutty, etc. are just about perfect.

Personally, I keep a Norinco SKS "Cowboy" and a 200rd, vest/bandolier thingy loaded with 124gr Sapsan JHPs in the truck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top