Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/13/2002 5:29:23 PM EDT
From the book...

"Ladies and Gentlemen, What happened tonight was an attempt by someone to destroy the government of the United States. They killed President Durling, and I guess they killed most of the Congress--- it's to soon, I'm afraid to be sure of much.

WADA, WADA, ETC, etc..... "

Right before this, a Secret servce agent fires a stinger missle from the rooftop....

Enjoyed this book from cover to cover.
Just taught It might be good reading marterial for people that dont have anything to do during an 8 hour work day...[;)]

Next in line is:
"The Sum of all Fears"
I see there is a movie coming out with that title so I gatta finish it before I see the movie...

Link Posted: 5/13/2002 5:35:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 5:42:23 PM EDT
[#2]
over the years I've read all of the Clancy novels and I absolutely love the Jack Ryan series.  On Sept. 11 when I was sitting in front of the TV watching the towers being attacked I was trying to call my wife 'cause she was on the subway with our twins and the rest of her family headed for the White House. I remembered how Tom Clancy had depicted the 747 crashing into the Pentagon and I was saying to myself those people need to get out of there... but they did'nt.:(
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 5:51:09 PM EDT
[#3]
cluster, you'll probably ruin the movie for yourself if you read [b]The Sum of All Fears[/b] before watching it. I can't see Hollywood doing that story right. They've already changed the main villains from Mid-Easterners into Neo-Nazis from what I hear.
Also I seem to remember that shortly after [b]Debt of Honor[/b] was released, a guy tried to crash a single engine plane into the White House. He didn't do much damage.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 5:57:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah I remember that guy....  

anyone remember what the reaction to the plane was(if any)
Did they actually do anything other than watch as it hit or did they do something to try to repel the attack..

or did they even reconize it as an attack untill it was to late....
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 6:06:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 6:10:33 PM EDT
[#6]
After Rainbow Six, I'll never read another Clancey novel.  That book sucked out loud, especially the ending.  I was convinced that Clancey had sold out and was just writing garbage because he knew he could get away with it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 6:14:45 PM EDT
[#7]
If you have not already you gatta read Tom Clancy's book "Without Remorse".

That book I would love to see made into a movie.
It goes into detail on were John Clark comes from.

Pretty good reading.

Link Posted: 5/13/2002 6:27:52 PM EDT
[#8]
From what I've seen of the trailers for "The Sum of All Fears," they've changed a LOT.  In fact, I didn't realize what the movie was until I heard the names of the characters.  If you haven't read the book, you might enjoy the movie.  If you've read the book, you'll probably be aghast.  I'm not planning on seeing it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 6:33:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Read 'Remorse' last week, and now I am in the first chapters of 'Fears'.
Indeed I was in the middle of 'Ex. Orders' last September and I did have to pause for a couple of weeks, it was just too fscking weird reading fiction, when reality actually topped that. "Truth is stranger than fiction", no kidding.
While Clancy is certainly entertaining, the reading-fun gets spoiled quite a bit when you stumble over some glaring error, like some analysis or observation or event that's totally out of sync with reality. Dunno quite how to describe it, like in Red Storm, when he had East Germans fighting alongside the Russians (sure, like that would have happened), or when everybody's e-mail program goes "You've got mail" (only AOL does that, and sure enough, Clancy's ISP is AOL, I checked). Also, he just seems to love a couple of phrases and repeats them over and over "conniption fit", "battlefields are a darwinistic selection process" and such things.
Other than that, I certainly do enjoy reading his books. Light entertainment of the MilFi kind :)
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 6:45:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
From the book...

"Ladies and Gentlemen, What happened tonight was an attempt by someone to destroy the government of the United States. They killed President Durling, and I guess they killed most of the Congress--- it's to soon, I'm afraid to be sure of much.
View Quote

Thanks for the f****ng spoiler, pal.

I actually have this book on the way from Amazon right now. Ordered it yesterday, knew nothing about the plot.

Next time, PLEASE put "WARNING: SPOILERS" in the title.

Sheesh.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 6:46:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Don't worry CLP that is just the beginning. That is not the spoiler
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 6:58:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm really Afraid, that "Sum Of all Fears" will be About like the sickening hatchet job done on Starship Troopers.

That and I just really can't see Ben Aflack as Jack Ryan any more than I could Stomach Alec Baldwin in the Part.

For that matter "Sum of All Fears is one of my least favorite Clancy books, Because it fosters the dangerous idea, that you could Nuke an American City and get away with it. I thought Jack Ryan Should Have been handing The President the Football briefcase and Saying" OK, Mr. President, The bastard that did this is in the Iranian Holy City of Qum, I suggest we fire three MIRVed Minute Man Threes out of Minot in Dakota, they will be about 250 kilotons apiece and all nine warheads will airburst in a pattern over the the City of Qum, that will assure no survivers. we'll do the same thing to Tehran and the port city of Bander abaas about four minutes later.

Can anyone doubt, that our enemies read Clancy, does anybody really want the bad guys to think that America would not Use Nuclear Weapons in the event of a nuclear terrorist attack on U.S. soil? " The sum of All Fears" puts forth the most politicaly correct and dangerous idea that Clancy ever set to paper. THE IDEA, THAT ISLAM COULD NUKE US AND WE WOULD NOT RETALIATE WITH THE BOMB!!!
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 7:15:36 PM EDT
[#13]

Can anyone doubt, that our enemies read Clancy, does anybody really want the bad guys to think that America would not Use Nuclear Weapons in the event of a nuclear terrorist attack on U.S. soil? " The sum of All Fears" puts forth the most politicaly correct and dangerous idea that Clancy ever set to paper. THE IDEA, THAT ISLAM COULD NUKE US AND WE WOULD NOT RETALIATE WITH THE BOMB!!!
View Quote

Hmmm, I think that is a reach.  I think their religeon has more effect on them then any Clancy novel ever could.   You could just as easily say that Clinton showed the whole World that he was Stupid, inept and week.  And it takes 4 days to read Sum of all Fears but they had 8 years to view and get to know Clinton, I would lay this at Clinton's feet before I would lay it at Clancy's. But ultimately it is the Terrorists who are responsible for their own actions. And if they picked the wrong president to screw with then that is now their biggest problem and frankly they deserve what they are going to get.

Ben
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top