Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/29/2005 6:13:00 AM EDT
Here's a real experience that might serve as a warning for all of us who use our debit cards for nearly everything.  My wife stopped by the Steak N' Shake at 5400 N. Keystone in Indianapolis to pick up dinner for us.  Reason: she was tired and I would poison us if I were to try and cook dinner.  Anyway, the girl at the drive up window leaves the window with her debit card and comes back with it wrapped with the receipt. She hands it to the wife, watching her closely and then immediately starts handing her the food. The wife feels a card in the receipt and drops it in her purse so she can take the order. The next afternoon the bank calls.  It seems there has been excessive use on the card in a pattern that indicates it may have been stolen.  My wife checks her purse for her debit card.  Surprise!  The card wrapped in the receipt is a Steak N' Shake gift card.  Not my wife's debit card.  The bank blocks the account, but not before over $1100.00 is stolen from it. Seems that someone went to Walmart, Chernins Shoe Outlet, The Finish Line twice, a local beauty supply store, A.J. Wright and bought several tanks of gas.  Later records indicated that they attempted to use the card 11 times at a gas station that night after it had been blocked.

The bank is on it and starts to replace some of the money.  Hopefully we'll get it all back.  In the mean time, the restaurant will not tell me who was working the register.  They keep hedging around.
A good friend of mine is the detective on the case.  He is getting something of a runaround on who actually handled the card.  I'm beginning to think that more than one employee might have been in on it.  So I wrote Steak N' Shake HQ a letter explaining what happened.  Two days later I get phone calls and letters from the vice president of the company. Steak N' Shake says they will make up any loss due to this incident and they send two regional managers to the store to get to the bottom of it.  They are pissed.  I was impressed and they will definitely get my business in the future.  The suspect employee was suspended and most likely will be fired and prosecuted.

Be careful when you use a debit card and make sure you get it back.  We damn sure will from now on.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:15:38 AM EDT
[#1]
In Sight, It Must Be Right!
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:19:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I left my debit card at a Best Buy a few weeks ago.  The cashier gave the card to a manager who took the card and locked it in the safe.  When I went back to pick it up, they asked for my ID and made me sign for it in a Lost and Found log.  I think they handled it pretty well and covered everyone's butts (including mine) in the process.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:20:44 AM EDT
[#3]
In the signature area on the back of my debit cards I write in all caps, "SEE ID"  Won't help at gas stations, but might stop them if they go in a store.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:23:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Mmmmmm Steak&Shake, double steak burger w/cheese and a bowl of chili. Mmmmmmmm.

AB
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:25:24 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
In the signature area on the back of my debit cards I write in all caps, "SEE ID"  Won't help at gas stations, but might stop them if they go in a store.

Me too.  Why give some crook an opportunity to practice my signature?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:26:01 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

AB

Stop...  You're making me hungry.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:29:08 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I do that and also write "Left Handed"  along with my sig. (lots of places won't honor your card
unless it is signed)   Most of the time it is all but useless.
Even when a cashier checks my ID I noticed that they don't bother looking at the pic just the
name.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:29:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Similiar thing happened to me at Chili's. Mostly my fault because I didn't make sure I got my card back. Waitress just "forgot" to return it with my bill. Weird thing was I called the restaurant and they searched the manager's safe and couldn't find the card. Waitress had removed it from the property and left it in her card. She didn't put any charges on it. I raised holy hell at the restaurant for her removing it from the property because I ended up cancelling the card. Had alot of bills set up to debit from it. They didn't even fire her. They said she is normally an exceptional employee. I was very dissatisfied with Chili's for their lack of any support on this. Basically they said "Oh Well, you weren't out anything".
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:35:15 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Here's a real experience that might serve as a warning for all of us who use our debit cards for nearly everything.  My wife stopped by the Steak N' Shake at 5400 N. Keystone in Indianapolis to pick up dinner for us.  Reason: she was tired and I would poison us if I were to try and cook dinner.  Anyway, the girl at the drive up window leaves the window with her debit card and comes back with it wrapped with the receipt. She hands it to the wife, watching her closely and then immediately starts handing her the food. The wife feels a card in the receipt and drops it in her purse so she can take the order. The next afternoon the bank calls.  It seems there has been excessive use on the card in a pattern that indicates it may have been stolen.  My wife checks her purse for her debit card.  Surprise!  The card wrapped in the receipt is a Steak N' Shake gift card.  Not my wife's debit card.  The bank blocks the account, but not before over $1100.00 is stolen from it. Seems that someone went to Walmart, Chernins Shoe Outlet, The Finish Line twice, a local beauty supply store, A.J. Wright and bought several tanks of gas.  Later records indicated that they attempted to use the card 11 times at a gas station that night after it had been blocked.

The bank is on it and starts to replace some of the money.  Hopefully we'll get it all back.  In the mean time, the restaurant will not tell me who was working the register.  They keep hedging around.
A good friend of mine is the detective on the case.  He is getting something of a runaround on who actually handled the card.  I'm beginning to think that more than one employee might have been in on it.  So I wrote Steak N' Shake HQ a letter explaining what happened.  Two days later I get phone calls and letters from the vice president of the company. Steak N' Shake says they will make up any loss due to this incident and they send two regional managers to the store to get to the bottom of it.  They are pissed.  I was impressed and they will definitely get my business in the future.  The suspect employee was suspended and most likely will be fired and prosecuted.

Be careful when you use a debit card and make sure you get it back.  We damn sure will from now on.

rn45,

How was it that the card was used at all those places? Doesn't it require a PIN number to be entered? Mine does. Although alot of places run it as credit w/no ID or PIN required.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:39:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Heck, the back of my card is not even signed.  98% of the time, the cashier will look at the back, see it isn't signed, then hand it back.  

I've even had a few cashiers hold the card until after I signed, then 'compared' the signature on the ticket to the non-existant signature on the card.  They typically give a nod like it matches, then hand the card back.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:39:56 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

rn45,

How was it that the card was used at all those places? Doesn't it require a PIN number to be entered? Mine does. Although alot of places run it as credit w/no ID or PIN required.

If it's one of those debit Mastercards, they'll run it through just like a credit card and deducts the money from your account.

ETA link: www.mastercard.com/aboutourcards/debit_card_standard.html
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:40:45 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a business related debit card and it requires a PIN to use.

I thought they all required that.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:42:14 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

AB

Dammit! I left my coupons at home today!
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:46:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Some places, such as grocery stores, usually require me to enter my pin when using my Visa debit card.  Resturants, bars and a few other places, its treated as a regular CC.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:47:33 AM EDT
[#15]
You always get hit hard from someone inside.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:30:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Steak and Shake is a really good company, good food as well. Hope things work out.

I print "SEE I.D." on all my cards. Had a person who refused the card if it wasn't signed. She told me I'd have to sign it before she could accept it. This was a debit card and I used my pin.

Okay, fine. She gives me an ink pen, I sign the card. She looks at the card, sees a signature and is all happy now. <shakes head> I sometimes wish I lived in a place called "Happy" as well. Can you say "Poor Training?"
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:41:48 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

probably not a bad idea, but now a days almost every store has you swipe it yourself and they never look at the card at all

this is why when ever I use my credit cards or have to take my license out for proof of age I put it back in the plastic holder in my wallet before moving on. tough shit if people behind me have to wait
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:30:10 AM EDT
[#18]
rn45: Thanks for posting. Many of those places where they have clerks are paid rather poorly, and a few aren't all that careful of who they hire as long as they agree to work for those wages. Moral of the story, make sure you look at everything before you leave the window.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:34:01 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Don't put too much faith in that.  I do that on my card as well and the Haji at ouir local 7 Eleven could only say "your signature is different"

fuggin moron's

at least he noticed that much though

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:35:55 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I have that on my credit card and the only place I have ever been IDed is a place that asks for it from everybody (campus bookstore).

I swear if someone notices that and demands ID I will tip them.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:39:22 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

AB

Dammit! I left my coupons at home today!

All the coupons in the world wouldn't help me, no S&S in Az.

AB
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:46:22 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
...........The bank blocks the account, but not before over $1100.00 is stolen from it.

Thank God I wouldn't have that problem.  The most they'd get from my debit card is about $80!  Because I likely already spent it all on AR stuff.

Oh, and if'n I don't have the eight bucks for a burger & fries and Coke, all Super-sized ofcourse, in cold hard green cash, I figure I probably don't need them anyway.

Better luck next time.

Eric
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:46:31 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Mmmm those words perked me up this morning. Nothing like prosecuting a THEIF.

Good job man!

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:47:58 AM EDT
[#24]
My favorite burgers when I was a kid, and their shakes rocked, to.

HH
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:56:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:00:42 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I did that 2 yrs ago.....my ID has been asked for exactly twice, and I use the card daily.  (but, I do have an honest face!)
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:58:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Your card is not valid unless it is signed.

Read the back of the card.

If your debit card is a Visa or a Mastercard, the sale can be rung up as a credit card. The only time it isn'r is in machines that ask if it is a credit or debit card. If you press debit, it will ask for your pin.

Some places and banks charge you a user fee if you use a debit card.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 10:03:17 AM EDT
[#28]
If I were an investigator:
Anyone trying to give me the run-around, it immediately treated as an accomplice. Me thinks that would encourage some healthy finger-pointing in a case like this.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 10:09:12 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Me too.  Why give some crook an opportunity to practice my signature?

Post Office, and some other places won't accept it that way.
It must be signed by you.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 10:11:41 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I have a business related debit card and it requires a PIN to use.

I thought they all required that.  

If your debit card has a Visa or MC logo on it, it can be used like  regular credit card.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 10:18:51 AM EDT
[#31]
Methinks the bitch at the drive-through did it.  Probably went out with one of her friends and had fun with some stolen money.

Anyway, good luck and hope everything works out.  Be sure to keep us posted.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 10:24:01 AM EDT
[#32]
I'm an asshole, I write on the back of my cards "See ID or I'll See Your Manager". I get the manager everytime my ID is not asked for, and the associate gets a reaming. Fuck em.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 10:25:51 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Post Office, and some other places won't accept it that way.
It must be signed by you.

I found that the hardway. They wouldn't accept the debit card with a "SEE ID" on it. So I signed it in front of them, and they accepted it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 10:36:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Was at a Micky d's drive thru the other day...they passed a keypad device out the window for the driver to enter his pin (was on a coiled cord).  Now if only that device would have a card reader in it, your card would never have to leave your possession.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 10:41:48 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Stores are actually told not to acknowledge that by the credit card companies.  The signature on the back of the card is your agreement to abide by the user agreement/contract, it is not for ID purposes.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:06:31 AM EDT
[#36]
also, this is why I have an ATM card, and credit cards
the ATM card is old school style. it will only work in an ATM
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:47:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:54:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Another problem is where you eat a meal .....give them your card and they take it in the back to run it for ya.....they use their new high tech camera cell phone.....and snap....they have your card number , name , ect.. to order what ever they  want.....and can have several  card numbers strored on the phone...
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:57:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:59:22 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Heck, the back of my card is not even signed.  98% of the time, the cashier will look at the back, see it isn't signed, then hand it back.  

I've even had a few cashiers hold the card until after I signed, then 'compared' the signature on the ticket to the non-existant signature on the card.  They typically give a nod like it matches, then hand the card back.

For better than three months, I signed every credit card recept handed to me "John Hancock".  No one ever noticed, including the people who pretended to compare signatures.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:36:14 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Another problem is where you eat a meal .....give them your card and they take it in the back to run it for ya.....they use their new high tech camera cell phone.....and snap....they have your card number , name , ect.. to order what ever they  want.....and can have several  card numbers strored on the phone...

even better, swipe it through a card reader hooked into a laptop or Palm Pilot. go home, write your own magnetic strip
fully functional CC without the original getting reported stolen
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:39:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Steak and Shake is a class act.  Their founder started the Kelley School of business at Indiana University and the company supports many students/good causes.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:01:07 PM EDT
[#43]
I have a debit card and a visa card.  The debit card doesn't have a cc logo on it.  The last time my bank sent me one for "my convience" I called them and lit their asses on fire for it.

I use my debit card at store counters where there's a pin pad.  I use the credit card else where and pay it with online checking about once a week.

Since I never use "real money" at a visa station I can't lose anything.  I know the bank will eventually give you your cash back, but I don't want to wait and/or NEED money if  it happens.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:22:39 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Please read the above.  Having only "check ID" or "see ID" on your card means your card is not legally valid, and SHOULD be refused.

-Troy

Not true.
I do not sign my cards and have zero problems using any of them. Once in a great while, they ask to see my drivers license.

AB
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:48:03 PM EDT
[#45]
I never use a debit card.  Use a credit card, and let the CC company deal with the mess.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:55:01 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Please read the above.  Having only "check ID" or "see ID" on your card means your card is not legally valid, and SHOULD be refused.

-Troy

Not true.
I do not sign my cards and have zero problems using any of them. Once in a great while, they ask to see my drivers license.

AB

Your experience does not speak to the validity of Troy's statement.  Just because you usually get by, doesn't mean it's the way things are supposed to be.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:59:16 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
I never use a debit card.  Use a credit card, and let the CC company deal with the mess.  

+1

Clue:  Credit card numbers are saturated.  All they need to do is pick a number out of thin air and then make a card and start charging.  This is within the capability of the average crack head living around the corner.   It is a rampant crime and is expanding.  

It recently happened to me, my brother too, a couple weeks later.  The difference in the cases is the security of your bank.  In my case, Compass Bank doesn't give two shits about security and let someone in Pakistan charge my card 32 times.  16 times AFTER I reported and closed down the card.  This was a check card and I was out $1K for 3 weeks, again, because Compass Bank sucks hot sick ass.

My brother had an old card sitting in the safe.  He got a bill for several appliances on the card.  Difference here is it was a normal Visa, and he was out $0 and the CC company dealt with it.

It is luck of the draw whether or not you get hacked.  Check your account daily, if possible.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:01:01 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Troy

Not true.

AB

Your experience does not speak to the validity of Troy's statement.  Just because you usually get by, doesn't mean it's the way things are supposed to be.

I also got by for about 20 years this way.  Recently, my card was refused twice by a couple stubborn, head wagging, bitches who had nothing better to do than fuck with me.  So, sign it small and then write 'Check ID'.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:09:45 PM EDT
[#49]
now if only you can get corporate to do something about their AWFUL food!!!!  OMFG!  I thought maybe it was just a bad location, NO! I tried a few other locations including the new one by my house....Nationwide and Energizer had a terrible, but FREE, experience there a few days ago....

It is good they are taking action and trying to get to the bottom of this...
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:16:02 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Troy

oh, and for those of you who don't know - you are responsible for 100% of the charges (unless you catch the perp) if you do not have a signed card - so if the bank recovers your card you could be liable and it is your problem to seek out the theif
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top