Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Switch your browser to desktop mode.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can you upload the pics so I don't have to install the reddit app?

Switch your browser to desktop mode.

That's not how it works for those of us on .gov computers where everything is blocked but we can still see pics uploaded directly to arfcom.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 2:01:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

There are other photos and video of a whole stack of dead soldiers kitted out with the same weapon wearing uniforms issued typically to Spetsnaz. They were mowed down. Caught in the open it looks like.
View Quote

The Ukrainians watched the school scene of Red Dawn?
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 2:06:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

They standard issue AP ammo with them, one flavor has a tungsten penetrator and the other steel IIRC. It's a pretty old design tho from the 80s/90s based around defeating steel pots, kevlar, and thin titanium or something like that. Probably about as AP as 4.6/5.7
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lots of dummies making comments on reddit about the gun.

Apparently, their only experience with steel core AP ammo in the 9x39 is on some stupid video game that says they can't even penetrate old WW2 helmets.

Umm.  Yeah.  Ok.  Whatever man.  Great story.

It doesn't look like it does very well to me. It's kinda hard to penetrate body armor with fat subsonic bullets. Can't cheat the physics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Nd2T8VWFFg

They standard issue AP ammo with them, one flavor has a tungsten penetrator and the other steel IIRC. It's a pretty old design tho from the 80s/90s based around defeating steel pots, kevlar, and thin titanium or something like that. Probably about as AP as 4.6/5.7

Less.

I built an AR in that caliber for whatever reason and it is astonishingly quiet, but everyone needs to remember that velocity is the largest contributor to penetration, construction second.

Wolf .223 out of a 20 inch barrel will zip through some pretty impressive stuff.

Link Posted: 2/25/2022 2:08:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Rifle round to the head while he was on the ground.

At least that is what it looks like, with the forward AND backwards projection of the blood.
View Quote
This soldier was shot in the head which results in immediate cessation of all CNS function.  Still, the heart continues to beat until it runs out of oxygen which is why there is so much blood.  Without a signal from the brain to breath, or as a result of blood loss, the heart will soon die of hypoxia.  This soldier died supine and was later flipped over his right side to then lay prone.  His right arm is underneath him as a result of being overturned.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 2:12:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Looks like that APC veered left to intentionally run over the car.
View Quote

it definitely did
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 2:21:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I dunno man the AP rounds aren't going to do THAT much better while still being at sub-sonic velocities. This shit isn't magic, its physics
View Quote

Ok.  Cool story bro.

Physics says something traveling at less than supersonic speed is incapable of penetrating armor.  Even if using tungsten inserts.  And has almost 300 gr of mass, which means nothing apparently.

Gotcha.  I'll have to remember that.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 2:21:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Good Russian = Dead Russian
View Quote

I was assured in my Blue Balls thread that kind of thinking did not exist.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 2:23:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Kill a Commie for mommy...
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 2:26:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Did they collect scalps?
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 3:11:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It takes some brains to invade Ukraine.
View Quote

The Italian Job Ukrainian Clip
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 3:39:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Less.

I built an AR in that caliber for whatever reason and it is astonishingly quiet, but everyone needs to remember that velocity is the largest contributor to penetration, construction second.

Wolf .223 out of a 20 inch barrel will zip through some pretty impressive stuff.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apparently, their only experience with steel core AP ammo in the 9x39 is on some stupid video game that says they can't even penetrate old WW2 helmets.

It doesn't look like it does very well to me. It's kinda hard to penetrate body armor with fat subsonic bullets. Can't cheat the physics.

Less.

I think you're right on it being less but it seems to not be much of a difference.

SP-6 (7N9) – The SP-6 (??-6) was developed by Yuri Frolov. It has a hardened metal armor-piercing core. It can penetrate 2 mm (0.079 in) of steel at 500 meters or 6 mm (0.24 in) of steel, 2.8 mm (0.11 in) of titanium or 30 layers of Kevlar at 200 meters. At 100 meters it can penetrate 8 mm (0.31 in) of steel or GOST 3 rated body armor, while retaining enough power to inflict damage to a soft target behind it.

4.6 DM11 Penetrator and the 5.7 SS290 - NATO CRISAT target (1.8mm Ti and 20 layers of kevlar) at 200m (couldn't find anything super specific beyond that with just a light search)
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 3:44:55 PM EDT
[#13]
That’s not spetznaz. That’s a seperatist fighter.

White armband
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 3:46:25 PM EDT
[#14]
I just heard that Vlad is threatening to use nukes on anyone who comes to Ukraine's aid during the invasion..

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 3:46:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I wonder what percentage of Russian special forces and paratroop elements overall(at a National force level) were wiped out at the airport. They were all killed and some surrendered. This will go down as a textbook case of airborne insertion that failed on an immense level. Mowed down by conventional units and citizens taking pot shots at targets of opportunity.
View Quote

Big issue was the failure to suppress the UKR air defense, so the follow-on IL-76s with the main force couldn't drop them in. Pathfinders were cut to ribbons.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 3:47:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Good Russian = Dead Russian
View Quote

in some parts of the world they say the same thing about....

oh nevermind.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 4:02:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What does that mean?  Pushing up daisies?  Flanders Field?

Ukrainian woman says Russian troops should carry seeds so flowers grow where they die

Savage!
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 4:03:10 PM EDT
[#18]
After watching a bunch of videos, my takeaway is this:

Keep all guns sighted in.  If you ever need them, it would suck to have to shoot at the enemy several times to sight in your scope...
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 4:07:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Fuck the Russian dictator

" />
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 4:09:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
That’s not spetznaz. That’s a seperatist fighter.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/25/2022 4:09:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
Change setting to desktop site. Tap 3 dots, select desktop.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 4:10:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
In Russia, the blood leak you.

I hope it fucking hurt.
View Quote

lol why?
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 4:10:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Did you even try clicking on the link?
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 4:13:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I think they attempted starting off with a Western style low collateral attack to quickly grab major sites or politicians and force a conclusion without urban sieges. Their generals probably oversold themselves. Then add better Ukrainian resistance than the Russians expected, so they're faced with the option of continuing the same path (or negotiating) vs seriously committing, and they're dithering. In a few days we'll probably know.
View Quote

Agreed. I think the original plan was a Western style, low collateral attack which the Russian media could spin as being “welcomed”.

I also think a lot of the first wave was conscripts in junky old Soviet trucks and 40 year old ammo.

Now there are reports that 10,000 Chechens are being deployed to Kyev to take the city. This will either be a rape and murder fest, or an urban warfare bloodbath. Or both. If the Chechens commit war crimes, Putin has some deniability. And if they are thrown into a meat grinder, he’s probably ok with that too.

But I think Putin is holding back his good soldiers for now.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 4:15:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have one....

Why the fuck are they still using archaic weapon designs? Everyone else is running rails, polymer and optics. Russians build weapons like George Lucas builds planetary ecosystems.
View Quote

Their "baffles" are essentially three flat washers. Absolutely archaic.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 5:38:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have one....

Why the fuck are they still using archaic weapon designs? Everyone else is running rails, polymer and optics. Russians build weapons like George Lucas builds planetary ecosystems.

I saw that. Wish that design could be tested against modern suppressor tech.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 5:39:42 PM EDT
[#27]
So other than a better ballistic coefficient at subsonic velocities, how is this anymore badass than someone shooting anything else subsonic a suppressed? Isn't this basically a 3rd world rifle version of the MP5? Lots of street cred but basically shelved as ineffective in regular battle because slow bullets suck.

Link Posted: 2/25/2022 5:42:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
So other than a better ballistic coefficient at subsonic velocities, how is this anymore badass than someone shooting anything else subsonic a suppressed? Isn't this basically a 3rd world rifle version of the MP5? Lots of street cred but basically shelved as ineffective in regular battle because slow bullets suck.

View Quote

Its their version of 300 blkout basically is a better way to think about it. 9mm isnt really a good comparison imho

I thought they had AP ammos for them but who knows how well it works

Guess they think well enough about it to take it to invade a country though
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 5:47:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
That's not spetznaz. That's a seperatist fighter.

White armband
View Quote

White armbands are Russians, to differentiate them from Ukrainians
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 5:50:42 PM EDT
[#30]
I assume he’s just a regular vdv paratrooper, and not Spetsnaz but who the hell knows in this shitshow.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 5:53:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

It’s beautiful man!
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/25/2022 5:53:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Why do we think the dead guy is Spetsnaz?
View Quote

Because the AS VAL is made specifically for Spetznaz.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 6:15:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
So its true

No light on your rifle = dead in the streets
View Quote

Had a sling. halfway there. the Weapon light was next paycheck.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 6:16:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

What? Did they scalp that dude?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

What? Did they scalp that dude?

snipered him?
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 6:16:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I assume he’s just a regular vdv paratrooper, and not Spetsnaz but who the hell knows in this shitshow.
View Quote

Hard to say. Their VDV is supposed to be equivalent to our Rangers, or USMC Recon, a sizable step up from line infantry, but not trained to the same level as CAG/SEALs.

The rifle he had fits that presumption, but the way its set up doesn’t. You’d think the VAL would only be issued for secret squirrel stuff, not as a general purpose carbine; they could use suppressed 74M or AK103 rifles for that.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 6:21:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Its their version of 300 blkout basically is a better way to think about it. 9mm isnt really a good comparison imho

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Joemama, If you've never shot one, it would be easy to believe that.  But, the 9x39 is nothing like what you seem to think.

Here is the difference between the 9x39 and 9mm luger.  Big difference.  The 9x39 is also not 9mm (.356" ) diameter.  It's based on a 9.3mm Mauser rifle bullet, which is .366" diameter.  Bigger than the 9mm luger in length and diameter.  And even bigger diameter than the 350 legend.  

As for the russian equivelant of the blk.

No. I've heard a lot of people say that.  But the 9x39 was developed decades before the 300 whisper, 221 fireball, blk.  et. al.  And is far easier to make, and the downrange ballistics are superior in both ft lbs and effective range.

While I own a 300 blk, I've only shot it once or twice since making the 9x39.

Why?

Because the 9x39 is just better all around.

Big heavy 308/blk bullets tend to just deform a little at subsonic velocities.  But, the 270 gr speer soft cor bullets that I use in most of my 9x39 loads, they actually expand really well.  And have a lot longer effective range.

Here's a couple 220 gr 208 bullets fired around 1000 fps in the middle and on the left.  The 9x39 soft cor is on the right.  All 3 were recovered out of the berm/backstop on the same day.

And blk compared to 9x39 in their unfired state

For anyone that thinks that only a supersonic round is effective, I have also worked up some loads for 125 gr expanding and 140 gr solid bullets.  I stopped at just under 1900 fps with the 140's because I was starting to get some pressure swipes and flattening on the primers, but believe that I can get up into the low 2000's with a slower burning powder.  So, there's always that.

Here's a few things that I've fooled with where 9x39 is concerned.  Seriously considering getting some 1/64" tungsten tool rod to make my own AP with, just to have.  Cost has kept me from it though.  

Link Posted: 2/25/2022 6:27:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quiet as fuck.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 6:34:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Joemama, If you've never shot one, it would be easy to believe that.  But, the 9x39 is nothing like what you seem to think.

Here is the difference between the 9x39 and 9mm luger.  Big difference.  The 9x39 is also not 9mm (.356" ) diameter.  It's based on a 9.3mm Mauser rifle bullet, which is .366" diameter.  Bigger than the 9mm luger in length and diameter.  And even bigger diameter than the 350 legend.  

https://i.imgur.com/GdyTbDU.jpg

As for the russian equivelant of the blk.

No. I've heard a lot of people say that.  But the 9x39 was developed decades before the 300 whisper, 221 fireball, blk.  et. al.  And is far easier to make, and the downrange ballistics are superior in both ft lbs and effective range.

While I own a 300 blk, I've only shot it once or twice since making the 9x39.

Why?

Because the 9x39 is just better all around.

Big heavy 308/blk bullets tend to just deform a little at subsonic velocities.  But, the 270 gr speer soft cor bullets that I use in most of my 9x39 loads, they actually expand really well.  And have a lot longer effective range.

Here's a couple 220 gr 208 bullets fired around 1000 fps in the middle and on the left.  The 9x39 soft cor is on the right.  All 3 were recovered out of the berm/backstop on the same day.

https://i.imgur.com/Je33IJD.jpg

For anyone that thinks that only a supersonic round is effective, I have also worked up some loads for 125 gr expanding and 140 gr solid bullets.  I stopped at just under 1900 fps with the 140's because I was starting to get some pressure swipes and flattening on the primers, but believe that I can get up into the low 2000's with a slower burning powder.  So, there's always that.

Here's a few things that I've fooled with where 9x39 is concerned.  Seriously considering getting some 1/64" tungsten tool rod to make my own AP with, just to have.  Cost has kept me from it though.  

https://i.imgur.com/kD0BRJ3.jpg
View Quote
Wow.  Thanks for the comparison.  That explains the noticeable recoil of the AS Val as compared to a PCC.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 6:36:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Do I really need to move to a war zone to get cool guns?
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 6:41:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Do I really need to move to a war zone to get cool guns?
View Quote

LOL
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 6:44:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Did his left hand get blown off too?
View Quote

Probably covered but looks like they rolled him over by that arm (sleeve), maybe to get the rifle sling off him. As another poster pointed out blood on head could be from lungs/ mouth pooled while was face up (or whatever was left of it.)
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 6:47:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
"...I hope he had seeds in his pockets..."

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/temp-96.gif

Some woman was telling russian troops to carry seeds so when they die at least they will leave pretty flowers.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 6:58:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Loot drops IRL.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 7:00:34 PM EDT
[#44]
That gun is going to be great for an insurgent.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 7:01:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Normally I don't go out of my way to see people getting killed; it's not a tasteful place to spend one's mind and time.  But I did click this one.  I will say, the comment at that link:

I'd say that's pretty spot-on.  If Putin was hoping to wow the world with how bad-ass his elite forces and well oiled military machine is; it's not really playing out.  They should have steam-rolled Ukraine and essentially be done by now; and that's not playing out.  Ukrainian opposition, as far as I can tell, is basically "meh, some are fighting, and seem competent enough at it", and are holding back a juggernaught way better than such should be able to do.  Putin and Russia aren't really impressing right now.
View Quote

Someone asked in another forum why Russia wasn't using their newest equipment, vehicles, aircraft, etc. in this invasion. Maybe Putin thought the older stuff was "good enough" and is saving his newer wiz-bang stuff for the next campaign, which might be more challenging. He can either lose some equipment to action now in Ukraine or scrap it in a few years anyway. Kind of like the US using up our old Vietnam-era bombs in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 7:05:47 PM EDT
[#46]
I've read somewhere that the 300 BLK has problems suppressed in colder climates. If it is "hot" enough to reliably function at sub-zero, it will be supersonic in regular temps. And vice versa so you'd need special ammo depending on expected ambient temps. Meanwhile, the Russian 9X39.5 is a beast and works in hot or freezing temps, stays subsonic, and has mass to do some armor pen.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 7:08:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
The rifle is an integrally suppressed rifle that isn't general issue for the Russian military. Likely only issued to spetsnaz or special recon units.
View Quote

In Call of Duty?  I think it’s been issued in numerous conventional units and showed up with paramilitary forces too.

Link Posted: 2/25/2022 7:09:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Someone asked in another forum why Russia wasn't using their newest equipment, vehicles, aircraft, etc. in this invasion. Maybe Putin thought the older stuff was "good enough" and is saving his newer wiz-bang stuff for the next campaign, which might be more challenging. He can either lose some equipment to action now in Ukraine or scrap it in a few years anyway. Kind of like the US using up our old Vietnam-era bombs in Iraq and Afghanistan.
View Quote

Maybe true. Or likely certain units get newer shit while others get older. Also, some of the captured Russians may be "separatists" or various volunteer/merc type dudes that get leftovers. The elite guys with NVG and latest gear may not be dead/captured yet for photos. Russia is poor and DOES have some excellent advanced gear but in limited quantities.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 7:20:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

In Call of Duty?

View Quote

When the AS-VAL was introduced into COD:MW it was so glitched that with the right setup it would shoot through everything on the map.

You'd spawn in and some asshole on the opposing team would wall-bang you through four buildings.  And someone using wallhacks would kill everyone.

Link Posted: 2/25/2022 7:25:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

A few reasons; but mostly because “lost in translation.”

Spetsnaz is a foreign language word, that was originally a Soviet acronym or abbreviation. It means “special purpose.”  It later got used a zillion different ways, and was applied generally and specifically. And then it got reported to the West by defectors, fiction writers, etc.
View Quote

Decodes into:  ???????????? ??????????
Page / 4
Top Top