Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2005 4:39:29 AM EDT
..This sucks. This will be the third time I have tried to kick the smoking/chewing/dipping habit.  Haven't had a cig in 7 months though but the urge to put a dip in the lip is great esp. in this hasty weather.  Dip makes working in the rain a little better.  Maybe I will pick up some jerky dip and see how that goes.
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 4:51:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Keep up the good work!

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 4:56:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Stay strong. Each day will get easier.
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 5:02:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Hang in there it's worth it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 5:19:23 AM EDT
[#4]
any kind of gum helps.I used a couple  boxes of the nic gum as well.. careful though,when I was told, that we would not be buying more nic gum,kinda  got a bit ill, for about the next 3 or 4 days...now I chew around 20 + of the reg gum every day...I get the same feeling,if I dont get gum for awhile,as  I did with the cig or the dip ..
9 months so far for me.
It will get easier,be tough!

Link Posted: 11/21/2005 5:22:20 AM EDT
[#5]
That reminds me, I'm almost out of smokes. BRB.
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 5:23:15 AM EDT
[#6]

Stay strong. Each day will get easier.

Tis the truth in a nushell
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 5:23:35 AM EDT
[#7]
keep it up!  i've set my quit date for 12/04.
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 5:27:19 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
..This sucks. This will be the third time I have tried to kick the smoking/chewing/dipping habit.  Haven't had a cig in 7 months though but the urge to put a dip in the lip is great esp. in this hasty weather.  Dip makes working in the rain a little better.  Maybe I will pick up some jerky dip and see how that goes.

Going on three years. Quite cold turkey and I've had only one cigar since. At Gun Stock last year. I was a pack and a half a day Marlboro man. 17 years.

I feel a LOT better now. I still get the cravings, but it does get easier as time marches on.
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 5:29:13 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
That reminds me, I'm almost out of smokes. BRB.

They ever come up with a cure for cancer, emphysema, and heart disease, and I'll be right there with you. As it is, I need a functional cardiovascular system more than I need a nicotine fix.
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 5:45:26 AM EDT
[#10]
My husband started chewing this:

when he quit.  He says it helps a lot.  Totally natural, healthy for you.

Be patient and keep at it.  Patty
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 5:47:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Stopping smoking was easy for me.  Quitting dipping/chewing is much, much harder because I really like it.  I am staying strong so far.  Threw away a half can of cope.
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 5:57:59 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Stopping smoking was easy for me.  Quitting dipping/chewing is much, much harder because I really like it.  I am staying strong so far.  Threw away a half can of cope.

When my husband quit I read in the literature he got with his patches that a can of chew was stronger than an entire carton of cigerettes.  NO wonder its more difficult.
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 6:01:54 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When my husband quit I read in the literature he got with his patches that a can of chew was stronger than an entire carton of cigerettes.  NO wonder its more difficult.

That is probably about right.  A cig lasts about 5 to 10 minutes.  I usually keep a dip in for an hour or so.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:58:55 AM EDT
[#14]
has anyone tasted that Smokey Mountain Snuff? I have tried other fake mint leaves before, tastes nothing like the real thing
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:04:26 AM EDT
[#15]

Just being a PITA.  Seriously, good luck.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:14:42 AM EDT
[#16]
I stopped using Skoal on the 1st of Dec. its no fun. Your brain seams to go throught this check list food, check water, check sleep, check tobacco wait where the heck is the tobacco? Give me some damn tobacco now! All you can do is try to resist. So far so good.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:15:09 AM EDT
[#17]
i have chewed everything from days o work plug to beechnut to skoal to copenhagen..............

the only time i have ever puked my guts out was on a dip of 'all natural non-tobbaco chew'  to this day if i get sick and need to throw my guts up i think back to that one dip
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:23:33 AM EDT
[#18]
VTHOKIESHOOTER don't back slide on me/us now.  You were MY inspiration to quit.

2nd full day for me and I haven't killed anything/anyone yet.  Yesterday was bad ..... the habit of dipping rather than the nicotine craving (after a meal, exercising the dog) was the worst.

The patch is helping some but I know I ingested more than 21mg/day of nicotine that the patch releases with the Cope.  I know your g/f doesn't know you went back (the reason for not getting back on the patch).  I would come clean with her.

I am going to print out a couple of those oral cancer dude pics from the other thread and paste them up if the "jones" gets real bad today.

STOP!  Put that dip down, man!  DON'T DO IT!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:24:48 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
VTHOKIESHOOTER don't back slide on me/us now.  You were MY inspiration to quit.

Day 2 for me.  I haven't killed anything yet.  Yesterday was bad ..... the habit of dipping rather than the nicotine craving (after a meal, exercising the dog) was the worst.

The patch is helping some but I know I ingested more than 21mg/day with the Cope.  I know your g/f doesn't know you went back (the reason for not getting back on the patch).  I would come clean with her.

I am going to print out a couple of those oral cancer dude pics from the other thread and paste them up if the "jones" gets real bad today.

STOP!  Put that dip down, man!  DON'T DO IT!

Hey don't worry.  This was the thread from 4 weeks ago resurected.  I am still going strong after  7 days.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:26:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Yeah, well you are a dumbass!  (Just following through with your instructions from the previous thread.)

I know one doctor who has done extensive research on why people use drugs, including tobacco. His conclusion is that lots and lots of them do it to relieve psychological symptoms ---nervousness, anxiety, bad feelings left over from what your parents did to you, etc.  In his view, lots of these people are self-medicating, in very much the same way that people might go to the doctor and get a prescription for valium.  

He goes on to explain that this doesn't mean that anyone who takes drugs is "mentally ill" -- just that different people experience different levels of stress and require different methods to get back to "normal". For some people it is a beer when they get home from work, and for others it is a big, really nasty piece of shit in their cheek.

Because of this, he and other doctors who are experts in the field have told me that the only real method that works for the vast majority of drug users (of all types, tobacco included) is some kind of substitution. That is, methadone for heroin, candy for tobacco, etc.   Because your psychological problems are so bad that you started using in the first place () you may have to find some less-harmful alternative that keeps your mind in balance.

But you are still a big loser dumbass who is going to be found face-down in a pile of Copenhagen tomorrow morning!

Just curious about you guys who chew and have sex with women (if there are any who do  both).  How do women react to the thought of kissing someone who just had one of them Copenhagen turds in their mouth?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:27:11 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Hey don't worry.  This was the thread from 4 weeks ago resurected.  I am still going strong after  7 days.

Whew!!! You had me worried for a minute.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:28:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Found out my wife was pregnant Friday. Quit smoking 6 days ago. Go for a run if you can, or a nice hike. Outdoor stuff where you can smell more things and feel the difference in breathing.

Also put $3.00 dollars a day somewhere safe and look at the money once a week or so and watch it build up.

Think of all the positive changes instead of the negatives.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:28:40 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Just curious about you guys who chew and have sex with women (if there are any who do  both).  How do women react to the thought of kissing someone who just had one of them Copenhagen turds in their mouth?

As I said in a previous post, this was the old "trying to quit dipping thread.  Also hidding chewing from significant others is much easier than smoking.  After a dip rinse with water and thin drink a soda or chew a piece of gum.
Here is the new thread:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=416516
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:33:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Try a cigar
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:38:36 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Try a cigar

Why do people want to walk around with a burning turd in their mouth?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:48:03 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Yeah, well you are a dumbass!  (Just following through with your instructions from the previous thread.)

I know one doctor who has done extensive research on why people use drugs, including tobacco. His conclusion is that lots and lots of them do it to relieve psychological symptoms ---nervousness, anxiety, bad feelings left over from what your parents did to you, etc.  In his view, lots of these people are self-medicating, in very much the same way that people might go to the doctor and get a prescription for valium.  

He goes on to explain that this doesn't mean that anyone who takes drugs is "mentally ill" -- just that different people experience different levels of stress and require different methods to get back to "normal". For some people it is a beer when they get home from work, and for others it is a big, really nasty piece of shit in their cheek.

Because of this, he and other doctors who are experts in the field have told me that the only real method that works for the vast majority of drug users (of all types, tobacco included) is some kind of substitution. That is, methadone for heroin, candy for tobacco, etc.   Because your psychological problems are so bad that you started using in the first place () you may have to find some less-harmful alternative that keeps your mind in balance.

But you are still a big loser dumbass who is going to be found face-down in a pile of Copenhagen tomorrow morning!

Hey maybe some good can from the "wolfman" after all.  He's the official ARFCOM expert on drugs and should have all kinds of info on kicking the habit.

Right, Wolfie?

First, I do not want to use the substitution method (trade one crutch for another).  I'm on a low carb diet and do not want to gain back the 20 plus pounds I've lost over the past 2 months.  I’ve got some sugar-free gum here and might go try to find one of those health food stores that cater to diabetics for more sugar-free stuff.  That is the number one complaint of people that quit smoking – they gain weight.  Sure, their lungs are clear but the arteries are clogged.

ETA:  So got any other ways, wolfman97?

My method is to wean myself off the physical addiction to nicotine.  If you have research to the contrary that nicotine is not addicting, it’s wrong.  Believe me, I don’t care what it says I am addicted.  Both physically and psychologically.  I plan to stay with the 21mg/day patch for a week then go down to the 14mg and use gum for my oral fixation.

As to your question about women and dip – I’ve been with my wife for going on 17 years and she’s gotten used to it.  Most of the time I would spit the dip out and brush my teeth before knocking boots with her. If it was a quickie, I might not have.  Plus, she is a light smoker (5-10 cigs/day) and really has no leg to stand on if she did want to complain about it.  She is skeptical that I can quit and that’s pissing me off  - you are dieting AND stopped dipping?  She’s given me a wide berth the past 2 days as she knows I am a little “short-tempered” right now.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:52:38 AM EDT
[#27]
That's right! You Americans don't smoke anymore. You live long, dull and uninteresting lives.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:04:13 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As I said in a previous post, this was the old "trying to quit dipping thread.  Also hidding chewing from significant others is much easier than smoking.  After a dip rinse with water and thin drink a soda or chew a piece of gum.
Here is the new thread:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=416516

that's some funny shit, I told my wife I quit and have tried quiting but am strugling with it. Anyway the wife tells me if I do it again she is gone.... well the other day the wife was gone, calls me up and tells me she is on her way home, be back in 45 minutes so I grab a beer and begin to put up Christmas lights. Well I take a monster dip of Cope and am relaxing in front of the house when all of a sudden I hear a horn, I turn around and the wife had pulled up in the driveway. Time must have gotten away from me, anyway it is dark so she can't see my lip bulging so I wave at her, turn to the house and I had to gut the thing, damnit, then I turn back, grab my beer and walk in the front door frantically trying to rinse the grains out of my teeth and get rid of the smell. I go around to the garage door and open it for her and greet her with a kiss. By that time the swallowed chew has given me quite a buzz and she greets me with a "how much have you had to drink, you look drunk" statement.  When I was chewing with her knowing about it I chewed Skoal, I switched to Cope when she thought I was quiting so she wouldn't recognize the smell. Damn it, I need to be strong, but it was  a funny story  and I thought I would share it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:22:49 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Hey maybe some good can from the "wolfman" after all.  He's the official ARFCOM expert on drugs and should have all kinds of info on kicking the habit.

Right, Wolfie?

I have certainly listened to a lot of lectures on the subject over the years. The stuff I heard generally applies to nearly all drugs.

First, I do not want to use the substitution method (trade one crutch for another).  I'm on a low carb diet and do not want to gain back the 20 plus pounds I've lost over the past 2 months.  I’ve got some sugar-free gum here and might go try to find one of those health food stores that cater to diabetics for more sugar-free stuff.  That is the number one complaint of people that quite smoking – they gain weight.  Sure, their lungs are clear but the arteries are clogged.

Good for you. That is certainly the way to go if you are one of the ones who can do it. Substitution doesn't mean that the substituted item has to be unhealthy. Some people get heavily into exercise, which produces endorphins that produce their own high. Other people might use meditation, take up knitting, or whatever. You may expect to feel some anxiety/nervousness/cravings which may result in a need for more physical activity. Maybe you can take up playing the piano or something.

ETA:  So got any other ways, wolfman97?

My method is to wean myself off the physical addiction to nicotine.  If you have research to the contrary that nicotine is not addicting, it’s wrong.

Hmmmm, you must have missed some of my lectures. Nicotine is about as addicting as drugs come. Right up there with heroin and crack.  Heroin rehab clinics often don't make any effort to try to wean their clients off of tobacco because they think it is just too hard to achieve. Lots of heroin addicts report that it is easier to kick heroin than it is to kick tobacco. The reason is that the cravings for tobacco last much longer.

But, with that, we have to keep in mind that "addiction" is very much a personal phenomenon. People get "addicted" to gambling which has no substance at all. Most people who use any drug to the point of addiction usually use multiple drugs. Heroin is usually thought of as among the most addictive drugs but lab tests show that only a fairly small minority of people who try heroin like it well enough that they would want to use it again.

If people can get addicted to things like gambling which have no substance at all, then the fundamental problem lies within them, not in the slot machines they use.

Just to give you some odds -- the odds are about 20 to 1 that you will backslide at some point. The only real "cure" for "addiction" seems to be time, and about five percent of addicts seem to mature out of it in any given year.  If your wife continues to smoke that might complicate matters.

Believe me, I don’t care what it says I am addicted.  Both physically and psychologically.  I plan to stay with the 21mg/day patch for a week then go down to the 14mg and use gum for my oral fixation.

I certainly believe you. Just from a personal standpoint, I can't think of anything I have ever done that I couldn't immediately stop if I thought it was causing problems with my life. I might have discomfort for a few days, but so what? I have lived through the flu before and the long-term goal of a better life is worth it. If it was me, I think I would just do it cold turkey. But that's just me. YMMV.

As to your question about women and dip – I’ve been with my wife for going on 17 years and she’s gotten used to it.  Most of the time I would spit the dip out and brush my teeth before knocking boots with her. If it was a quickie, I might not have.  Plus, she is a light smoker (5-10 cigs/day) and really has no leg to stand on if she did want to complain about it.  She is skeptical that I can quit and that’s pissing me off  - you are dieting AND stopped dipping?  She’s given me a wide berth the past 2 days as she knows I am a little “short-tempered” right now.

I have kissed some women who smoked tobacco. I really didn't like it. But then I got turned off on it years ago when my parents owned some motels. They would have BIG ashtrays (big enough that my mother specifically went shopping for BIG ashtrays) in the front office that would have to be emptied several times each morning from all the smokers. Smelled like SHIT and permeated everything in the room. We had to repaint the walls and change the drapes frequently because they would turn visibly yellow. I think a lot of smokers are really oblivious to how offensive it can be.

You might want to find some displacement activity for that "short-tempered" part. Maybe weight lifting, madly playing the piano, taking up jogging, building model boats or custom guns, etc. Don't suddenly modify your usual intake of caffeine because it may just make it worse.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top