Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/24/2015 10:58:26 PM EDT
Finally listening to his show, after the adulation I read here.  

I suppose he has a profitable audience, but seriously?

WTF?
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 11:00:02 PM EDT
[#1]
He's alright.  Sort of torn how stupid people are that get themselves in financial trouble OTOH they're seeking help and doing something about it.  I respect them for that

Link Posted: 6/24/2015 11:00:19 PM EDT
[#2]
He seems to be able to help those who can't add or subtract at the end of each month...

IDK, he has SOME good points.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 11:01:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Beans & rice, rice & beans.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 11:02:38 PM EDT
[#4]
The guy just has to be a tiny bit smarter than his audience to seem like a genius. As you see, it's foolproof.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 11:05:23 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

He seems to be able to help those who can't add or subtract at the end of each month...

View Quote
I truly think he is trying to help people more than he's trying to make a buck.  I might be wrong, but I don't think so in this case.

Link Posted: 6/24/2015 11:06:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

A recipe for diabetes, in case anybody is wondering.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 11:07:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I truly think he is trying to help people more than he's trying to make a buck.  I might be wrong, but I don't think so in this case.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a little of both, which is fine.

Link Posted: 6/24/2015 11:08:04 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

The guy just has to be a tiny bit smarter than his audience to seem like a genius. As you see, it's foolproof.
View Quote
Pretty much.

The people who idolize him are usually fiduciary idiots who got themselves tens of thousands of dollars in unmanageable  debt instead of staying out of unmanageable debt in the first place....

I realize that there are some who for unforeseen catastrophes find themselves behind the money curve and sometimes they really do need budgeting help, but for the most part - that ain't the case....
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 11:09:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  Anyone of average intelligence or better can get much better advice for money management and investments.  His investmnt advice is unusually poor.  But his audience are so screwed up, his simple rules are a godsend to them.

Link Posted: 6/24/2015 11:23:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This.  Anyone of average intelligence or better can get much better advice for money management and investments.  His investmnt advice is unusually poor.  But his audience are so screwed up, his simple rules are a godsend to them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As a young man myself can you say what exactly is so bad about his investment advice?  I listened to Dave Ramsey financial peace ( audio book at work I listen to a lot of books).  I thought he was pretty smart on the debt aspect of things but then again I'm not in terrible debt. So his advice is far from life or death for me.  I'm looking to start investing within the next year trying to start young.  I have a meeting set next week with a investment company in my hometown so I'm curious as to any books or advice you guys suggest
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 11:30:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

As a young man myself can you say what exactly is so bad about his investment advice?  I listened to Dave Ramsey financial peace ( audio book at work I listen to a lot of books).  I thought he was pretty smart on the debt aspect of things but then again I'm not in terrible debt. So his advice is far from life or death for me.  I'm looking to start investing within the next year trying to start young.  I have a meeting set next week with a investment company in my hometown so I'm curious as to any books or advice you guys suggest
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He preaches lowest common denominator type stuff.

I think DR has good advice for people in debt.  If youre not in debt, look up JL Collins.  He has pretty simple advice-  100% in Vanguard total stock market index fund and leave it the fuck alone.  
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 11:33:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

His advice isn't terrible, it just isn't anything better than a well meaning but somewhat misinformed grandmother might give. Ramsey disciples are like members of a 12 step program, but financially instead of regarding drugs or alcohol... But there is some overlap.

You won't go broke listening to him, but at the same time, a lot of his advice is less than optimal.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 11:35:42 PM EDT
[#13]
I envy his success.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 11:59:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bottom line is exercise critical thinking. His program is called Financial PEACE University, not Financial Winning University. Debt is an anchor, creates stress. Some people get in trouble with debt. His plans give people financial PEACE. If you structure your life so that you have no debt, have a reserve built up and are saving for retirement, then your finances are not causing you distress. That's his schtick. Stability and happiness. Lots of people are being crushed by the stress of debt and poor financial decisions.

Now, lots of people get their panties in HUGE bunches because Dave Ramsey tells people to pay off their mortgage. Never mind that he recommends it AFTER you are saving enough for retirement. It doesn't matter. They see a recommendation to pay off low, tax deductible interest and they go ballistic. Yes, you can potentially make more money through investing, etc etc etc. but refer to above: Financial PEACE University. Would having a paid off house and sufficient retirement savings cause you stress? No.

There are people who get off on flipping houses and rolling investments that have them $5 million in debt on $6 million in assets and can say "fuck yeah,nI'm a millionaire." They'll sleep soundly at night, fight the battle and run the race every day, and if it all works out, they cash out at the end of their career with $10 million.  More power to them, that's not me. I'd have an ulcer in the first 10'minutes.

So anyhow... If you're going for the high score, look elsewhere. If you want to finish the game comfortably, give it a shot. If nothing else, you can pick some principles and perspectives to reflect on as applicable throughout life. We're not the same, we all have different risk tolerance, you gotta follow your path.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 12:02:49 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

True.  

Link Posted: 6/25/2015 12:04:44 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree but have heard other wise.

Link Posted: 6/25/2015 12:08:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I paid like $12 for his book and listened to his show on the radio occasionally. I don't feel like I got hoodwinked. There are people out there who's have spent hundreds of dollars on Nickelback tickets, albums, and t-shirts.

Link Posted: 6/25/2015 12:10:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What makes you think a person can't do both?

People who help others but don't have an economic model have a hobby, not a business.

Link Posted: 6/25/2015 12:17:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Bottom line is exercise critical thinking. His program is called Financial PEACE University, not Financial Winning University. Debt is an anchor, creates stress. Some people get in trouble with debt. His plans give people financial PEACE. If you structure your life so that you have no debt, have a reserve built up and are saving for retirement, then your finances are not causing you distress. That's his schtick. Stability and happiness. Lots of people are being crushed by the stress of debt and poor financial decisions.

Now, lots of people get their panties in HUGE bunches because Dave Ramsey tells people to pay off their mortgage. Never mind that he recommends it AFTER you are saving enough for retirement. It doesn't matter. They see a recommendation to pay off low, tax deductible interest and they go ballistic. Yes, you can potentially make more money through investing, etc etc etc. but refer to above: Financial PEACE University. Would having a paid off house and sufficient retirement savings cause you stress? No.

There are people who get off on flipping houses and rolling investments that have them $5 million in debt on $6 million in assets and can say "fuck yeah,nI'm a millionaire." They'll sleep soundly at night, fight the battle and run the race every day, and if it all works out, they cash out at the end of their career with $10 million.  More power to them, that's not me. I'd have an ulcer in the first 10'minutes.

So anyhow... If you're going for the high score, look elsewhere. If you want to finish the game comfortably, give it a shot. If nothing else, you can pick some principles and perspectives to reflect on as applicable throughout life. We're not the same, we all have different risk tolerance, you gotta follow your path.

View Quote

Best explanation yet!!!
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 12:21:53 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

People who help people but don't have an economic model have a hobby, not a business.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

People who help people but don't have an economic model have a hobby, not a business.

I don't.  I listen to him every night on my way home.  I admire his success, and I also admire his passion for helping people get out of the debt cycle.  After listening for years, I'm saying that his desire to do something righteous seems genuine,  and I admire that. Heseemsto be a genuine conservative.  Manage your finances, provide for your own, help others where you can, and profit while doing it.  What's more conservative than that?

Link Posted: 6/25/2015 12:24:54 AM EDT
[#21]
People that find the concepts he teaches new and exciting are the ones that need him. His investing advice is meh, but it isn't bad. People that can't balance their budget don't need to try to time markets on pump and dumps or do market analysis based speculation.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 12:44:15 AM EDT
[#22]
I can't say enough good things about his program.  It's worked for me and now we teach his class to our friends at no cost to them.  True, had I not been an idiot with the money I made for 20 years I wouldn't have needed his brand of common sense but those were yesterday's mistakes.    

Put $1,000 in the bank, stop the bleeding, and start paying attention to your income.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 1:01:06 AM EDT
[#23]
He does a lot to counteract the life plan that was made the default for many in our parents' and our generations, which was the post-WWII boom years:

* Instead of doing what grandma and grandpa did, which was to save money and then buy or build a house, banks made lending much more relaxed for lower income people and middle class, and made mortgages the primary way of getting into a home.

* Repeat this approach for automobiles.

* Credit cards and other big ticket purchases, see above

* Instead of one bread winner per household, put 2 to work while kids go to daycare with mean obese retarded ladies, then spend the rest of the day at school with meaner, about as retarded ladies

By the time you pay off your mortgage and cars, you're on your deathbed and still have credit card debt, as well as college tuition bills for kids who aren't very educated.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 1:04:38 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm pretty sure he's a moron

But then again I do know people that have to cut up credit cards

So I guess I'd say he's slightly above average which says average is pretty well stupid

Link Posted: 6/25/2015 1:08:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
He does a lot to counteract the life plan that was made the default for many in our parents' and our generations, which was the post-WWII boom years:

* Instead of doing what grandma and grandpa did, which was to save money and then buy or build a house, banks made lending much more relaxed for lower income people and middle class, and made mortgages the primary way of getting into a home.

* Repeat this approach for automobiles.

* Credit cards and other big ticket purchases, see above

* Instead of one bread winner per household, put 2 to work while kids go to daycare with mean obese retarded ladies ( While spending grandma's last shekel on a nursing home.), then spend the rest of the day at school with meaner, about as retarded ladies

By the time you pay off your mortgage and cars, you're on your deathbed and still have credit card debt, as well as college tuition bills for kids who don't aren't very educated.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/25/2015 2:02:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'm pretty sure he's a moron

But then again I do know people that have to cut up credit cards

So I guess I'd say he's slightly above average which says average is pretty well stupid

View Quote

Dave Ramsey is in no way a moron or stupid.

He is a smart businessman who makes a lot of money selling himself.

As for what he sells, he is selling it to addicts and it works for addicts.  So in the end, he is making the world a better place.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 2:09:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
, as well as college tuition bills for kids who don't aren't very educated.
View Quote

I know it's just a typo, or some autocorrect...but you can see the irony in the part I quoted right?
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 2:29:06 PM EDT
[#28]
My gripe with him is his "trusted local advisors"...or advertisers.  Also, he hates permanent life insurance "whole life".  Bad advice.  Quality whole life from a quality company, Northwestern, Mass Mutual, New York, etc. is invaluable to estate planning.  Forget the cash value; it's permanent as long as it's funded.  Buy it young and just pay the premium.  At some point, the cash value is usable and the dividends pay the premium.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 4:08:45 PM EDT
[#29]
My gripe with him is his "trusted local advisors"...or advertisers. Also, he hates permanent life insurance "whole life". Bad advice. Quality whole life from a quality company, Northwestern, Mass Mutual, New York, etc. is invaluable to estate planning. Forget the cash value; it's permanent as long as it's funded. Buy it young and just pay the premium. At some point, the cash value is usable and the dividends pay the premium.
View Quote

Know how I know that you sell whole life?
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 4:12:30 PM EDT
[#30]
His basic premise to become debt free is solid. He's out there helping a lot of people who get neck deep in debt
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 4:13:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Clark Howard > Dave Ramsey
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 4:25:11 PM EDT
[#32]
I've personally seen a number of families do some amazing things on a pretty humble income using his method.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 4:27:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
He's alright.  Sort of torn how stupid people are that get themselves in financial trouble OTOH they're seeking help and doing something about it.  I respect them for that  
View Quote

I agree with what you are saying but try and remember that some people get their ass in a finanancial sling because of job loss or divorce.
However,some are stupid too.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 4:27:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
My gripe with him is his "trusted local advisors"...or advertisers. Also, he hates permanent life insurance "whole life". Bad advice. Quality whole life from a quality company, Northwestern, Mass Mutual, New York, etc. is invaluable to estate planning. Forget the cash value; it's permanent as long as it's funded. Buy it young and just pay the premium. At some point, the cash value is usable and the dividends pay the premium.

You'd be wrong.  I am a Property & Casualty agent and own Northwestern...I understand and appreciate good products.  Permanent insurance got a bad wrap when crooks were selling underfunded and over promissed returns on UL propducts.  Some thought the high interest rates would last forever.  Whole Life is entirely different.  Building and protecting wealth is far more complex then his simple programs.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 4:28:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

He might, but he is right.

I'm an advisor/manager in financial services, and I can tell you most products serve some good purpose. Whole life can be a great tool, as can other permanent policies. So can annuities, mutual funds, individual securities, and other items.

If someone tells you that you need 100% whole life, chances are they are full of shit. If some tells you that you need multiple tools to get the job done and can show you why, then maybe they are actually trying to do what is best for you.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 4:36:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Dave Ramsey's target audience is people who lack the discipline and/or financial knowledge to control their debt. It's kind of like Alcoholics Anonymous -- draconian measures are often needed to bring their lives back under control. His advice also works for those unexpectedly hit by devastating circumstances.

To someone who is fiscally responsible, he can appear to go overboard.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 4:40:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I'm an advisor/manager in financial services, and I can tell you most products serve some good purpose. Whole life can be a great tool, as can other permanent policies. So can annuities, mutual funds, individual securities, and other items.

If someone tells you that you need 100% whole life, chances are they are full of shit. If some tells you that you need multiple tools to get the job done and can show you why, then maybe they are actually trying to do what is best for you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. Part of an overall diversification strategy. We'll *HOPEFULLY* be coming to a point in our lives here where we're exhausting all tax-sheltered retirement saving options, and a whole life policy may become part of the whole package. Or maybe not. We'll address that when we get there. I think it's probably suboptimal to put money in whole life if you're not maxing out your 401k, but again there are a bazillion variables in everybody's situations.

Link Posted: 6/25/2015 4:41:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I know it's just a typo, or some autocorrect...but you can see the irony in the part I quoted right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
, as well as college tuition bills for kids who don't aren't very educated.

Yes, I think it's fitting actually.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 4:46:11 PM EDT
[#39]
He teaches common sense to those who have little to none.  For those that do, he's way off base.  
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 5:26:24 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Best explanation yet!!!

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Best explanation yet!!!

+1
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 5:42:00 PM EDT
[#41]
We had no money problems but decided to follow his plan anyway.

We had our 30 mortgage paid off in less than 14 years.

We have no debts.

We have peace.

His program is common sense, but you need to keep listening to him to keep going.

Being married and 45 years old with no debt and two homes with money in the bank is a great feeling.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 6:48:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

We have no debts.

We have peace.

His program is common sense, but you need to keep listening to him to keep going.

Being married and 45 years old with no debt and two homes with money in the bank is a great feeling.
View Quote

Dave Ramsey didn't make that up.  I sure hope he wasn't the first person to tell you it either.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 6:51:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Dave Ramsey didn't make that up.  I sure hope he wasn't the first person to tell you it either.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We have no debts.

We have peace.

Why are you so angry?

Link Posted: 6/25/2015 6:52:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/25/2015 6:53:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Why are you so angry?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We have no debts.

We have peace.

Why are you so angry?

I'm not angry at all.  I'm actually quite happy because I have 7-11 Smoky Bacon & Cheddar flavorited jumbo peanuts  
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 6:57:32 PM EDT
[#46]
He can drive a Jaguar but you have to drive a POS if you have any debt.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 6:59:47 PM EDT
[#47]
if you didn't know how to tie your shoes, the guy who showed you would be your hero
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 7:03:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

What is the point of this statement?
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 7:03:23 PM EDT
[#49]
The guy spoke at a church I used to go to a few times.   I like what he does.  I like his debt snow ball (common sense),  used a version of that after my divorce a few years ago.   I read his book I like his story.  I dont really listen to his investment stuff though me and the wife have an investment guy for that.   I personally know a few ppl where hearing his system is what caused them to right their financial ship.   Different things speak to different ppl.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 7:04:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

most people buy cars that are stupidly way out of their price range

cars are expensive as fuck, most people are so used to it that they don't realize

very few really smell the forest fire of their money when they buy a car

I went to the dealer the other day, they showed me a $43,000 Taurus

a lot of dumbasses out there

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top