Warning

 

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2006 2:25:38 AM EST
Smoking really is bad for you


'Crafty fag' patient is burned to death
By Paul Stokes
(Filed: 19/04/2006)

A hospital patient died when he became engulfed in flames as he lit a cigarette after being treated with an inflammable gel for a skin complaint.



Philip Hoe, 60, is believed to have sneaked out of a ward and on to a fire escape stairwell to get around a smoking ban.

It is believed that as he lit the cigarette it ignited fumes from a paraffin and kerosene wax cream used on large areas of his body.

The gel is thought to have soaked into his nightclothes which burst into flames, causing him to scream in agony.

Staff at Doncaster Royal Infirmary used fire extinguishers to douse the flames and the victim was found to be suffering 70 per cent first degree burns.

Mr Hoe, from Harworth, near Doncaster, south Yorks, was transferred 25 miles for specialist treatment at Sheffield's Northern General Hospital, but died a short time later on Monday night.

Police are preparing a report for the coroner and inquiries are being conducted by hospital officials and the Health and Safety Executive.

Nigel Clifton, chief executive of Doncaster and Bassetlaw Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, said yesterday: "This is a most tragic event. Our hearts go out to his family."

Doncaster Royal Infirmary operates a ban which forbids patients, staff and visitors from smoking in the building or in main doorways. The policy was already due to be extended on May 31.

Assistant Divisional Officer Bob Wood, of South Yorkshire Fire Service, described what had happened as "an horrific and tragic accident".

He said: "The victim, obviously a smoker, had slipped away from a ward for a crafty fag and was in the enclosed stairwell of a fire escape when he lit up. Unfortunately because of the nature of the cream that had been used to treat his skin condition this ignited the fumes and he was engulfed in flames."

Mr Hoe was married. His family declined to comment last night.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/04/19/nfire19.xml&sSheet=/news/2006/04/19/ixhome.html
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 2:35:57 AM EST
And his family will probably get rich on the lawsuit.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 2:36:16 AM EST
If that were in the US , there would soon be a lawsuit
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 2:40:06 AM EST

Originally Posted By Tehranasaurus_Rex:
Smoking really is bad for you


'Crafty fag' patient is burned to death
By Paul Stokes
(Filed: 19/04/2006)

A hospital patient died when he became engulfed in flames as he lit a cigarette after being treated with an inflammable gel for a skin complaint.



Philip Hoe, 60, is believed to have sneaked out of a ward and on to a fire escape stairwell to get around a smoking ban.

It is believed that as he lit the cigarette it ignited fumes from a paraffin and kerosene wax cream used on large areas of his body.

The gel is thought to have soaked into his nightclothes which burst into flames, causing him to scream in agony.

Staff at Doncaster Royal Infirmary used fire extinguishers to douse the flames and the victim was found to be suffering 70 per cent first degree burns.Hell that is just a mild sunburn next topic

Mr Hoe, from Harworth, near Doncaster, south Yorks, was transferred 25 miles for specialist treatment at Sheffield's Northern General Hospital, but died a short time later on Monday night.

Police are preparing a report for the coroner and inquiries are being conducted by hospital officials and the Health and Safety Executive.

Nigel Clifton, chief executive of Doncaster and Bassetlaw Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, said yesterday: "This is a most tragic event. Our hearts go out to his family."

Doncaster Royal Infirmary operates a ban which forbids patients, staff and visitors from smoking in the building or in main doorways. The policy was already due to be extended on May 31.

Assistant Divisional Officer Bob Wood, of South Yorkshire Fire Service, described what had happened as "an horrific and tragic accident".

He said: "The victim, obviously a smoker, had slipped away from a ward for a crafty fag and was in the enclosed stairwell of a fire escape when he lit up. Unfortunately because of the nature of the cream that had been used to treat his skin condition this ignited the fumes and he was engulfed in flames."

Mr Hoe was married. His family declined to comment last night.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/04/19/nfire19.xml&sSheet=/news/2006/04/19/ixhome.html

Link Posted: 4/19/2006 2:41:53 AM EST
cannot be emphasised strongly enough.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 2:45:49 AM EST
DUMB HOE!
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 2:51:17 AM EST
yep- it will be the hospitals fault for LETTING him SNEAK out...
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 2:51:50 AM EST

Originally Posted By John_Wayne777:
And his family will probably get rich on the lawsuit.



Under UK law they won't get a penny due to it being his own negligence. Even if the hospital were 'at fault' compensation is set at £11,000 (US$20,000) for death.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 2:55:27 AM EST
fucking idiot
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 3:01:31 AM EST

Originally Posted By Tehranasaurus_Rex:
Smoking really is bad for you




Stupidity is REALLY bad for you............
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 6:34:21 AM EST
when i was stationed on the USS GW we had a guy crawl into a void (for non-navy guys this is a space that can't be used for anything for various reasons such as gases.) The only entrance to the space is a hole covered with a plate secured by about 50 nuts/bolts. The cover was off because we were in the shipyards and the yard birds did not follow procedure and replace the plate after they were through working. Young sailors were crawling into this pitch black space to sneak a smoke. I guess they had been doing it for awhile. One of them crawls too far back and falls through a hole about three stories to his death. Smoking with kill you, one way or the other.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 6:43:08 AM EST
[Dr.Nick] Inflammable means flammable? What a country!! [/Dr.Nick]
Top Top