Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/29/2005 6:40:23 PM EDT
What is the difference? Any help is appreciated!

Link Posted: 7/29/2005 6:40:54 PM EDT
[#1]
heh for a second I thought you said duracoat.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 6:42:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 6:45:45 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
My one experience with Darvocet was essentially perfect.   The pain associated with a kidney stone
attack was completely eliminated.  I felt perfectly normal.   No side effects noted, either.    It seemed
to be a perfect pain reliever.

I have no experience with Vicodin.

CJ

I'm the opposite.

I've never had Darvocet, but recently spent a few days riding the Vicodin cloud...

It did take the pain away but it also made me feel really fuzzy headed and I couldn't sleep
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 6:47:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 6:48:27 PM EDT
[#5]
vic's and darvo don't do that much for me, but I think the darvo's do a better job.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 6:48:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Vicoden is a much better buzz.  Darvocet isn't very good as a pain killer.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 6:49:13 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
My one experience with Darvocet was essentially perfect.   The pain associated with a kidney stone
attack was completely eliminated.  I felt perfectly normal.   No side effects noted, either.    It seemed
to be a perfect pain reliever.

I have no experience with Vicodin.

CJ

I'm the opposite.

I've never had Darvocet, but recently spent a few days riding the Vicodin cloud...

It did take the pain away but it also made me feel really fuzzy headed and I couldn't sleep

I've had the same experience with old Vic.

I would also like to know the comparison between these two drugs.

Help a brother out people!
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 6:49:40 PM EDT
[#8]
And I took the Vicodin every 6 hours for about 4 days, and could only get into a light sleep...

I think I'll ask for the Darvocet if I ever need pain pills again
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 6:52:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Never had Darvacet,but Vicodin makes me feel high all day,and gives me a hangover the next morning.

I'm talking about one pill.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 6:53:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Ok, let's get this straight......

Vic gives you a better buzz

Darv isn't a good pain killer

You're comparing two different side effects.

Are you saying Vic kills pain and Darv doesn't?
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 6:54:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Get both!

I like Victors better for actual pain. Darvocets don't help me much.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 6:54:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Darvocet is propoxyphene.  It's fairly weak, but has a tendancy to give people a strange buzz.  Vicodin, hydrocodone, is much stronger than propoxyphene, and is tolerated better IMO.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 6:54:45 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
And I took the Vicodin every 6 hours for about 4 days, and could only get into a light sleep...

For me, Darvo is no better in the insomnia department. Sorry.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 6:56:38 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for the heads up.

I hope I don't need either again anyway
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 7:00:01 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Darvocet is propoxyphene.  It's fairly weak, but has a tendancy to give people a strange buzz.  Vicodin, hydrocodone, is much stronger than propoxyphene, and is tolerated better IMO.

I was prescribed Darvo even after telling the doc I didn't wanna "F" with another narco because I knew I tolerated Vic well and I knew nothing about Darvo. I wonder why he prescribed Darvo instead of Vic? Is one more addictive than the other?
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 7:02:20 PM EDT
[#16]
I believe Vicodin is more addictive.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 7:02:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Vicodin here,  I took 1 every 4-6hr for kidney stone after blasting,  did nothing for me, but a simple Ibuprofen 800 worked for 5hr... go figure.

Recent back pain, 1 Vicodin, I'm fine for maybe 6hr, no buzz, afraid to do more than 1 at a time, though doc said 2 is ok...    

Do not do Vicodin and Cyclobenzaprine together, what a buzz that is, I was at work when I did it, doc warned me, along with pharmacist.....  I went to go home..... driving up the interstate at 70 mph, I was in major tunnel vision, and seemed like I was driving 20 mph,  thought I was never going to get home.

Link Posted: 7/29/2005 7:06:58 PM EDT
[#18]
I had a bad toothache before, that would wake me up at night. So I would get up, grab a victor, crunch it in my mouth, and lay back down, and sleep like a baby. The warm rush was awesome.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 7:08:08 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Last time I had Darvocet, I could only ever get into a light sleep. That didn't bother me too much, but what REALLY bugged me was that I would have very VIVID waking nightmares. Bad ones.

I quit taking everything except some Motrin, and eventually got "clean" and was able to sleep again.

I'm going through some really intense pain right now, but I just don't want to go through those horrible nightmares again.

As someone who has lived with sever chronic pain for 15 years now, I really empathize with those who have pain management issues. God Bless You, and take care of yourselves.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 7:09:52 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Last time I had Darvocet, I could only ever get into a light sleep. That didn't bother me too much, but what REALLY bugged me was that I would have very VIVID waking nightmares. Bad ones.

I quit taking everything except some Motrin, and eventually got "clean" and was able to sleep again.

I'm going through some really intense pain right now, but I just don't want to go through those horrible nightmares again.

As someone who has lived with sever chronic pain for 15 years now, I really empathize with those who have pain management issues. God Bless You, and take care of yourselves.

]

I only took it for 4 days for a broken leg

And I had to. It really hurt!
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 7:11:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Both will stop up your bung-hole worse than a cement butt-plug!
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 7:11:47 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok, let's get this straight......

Vic gives you a better buzz

Darv isn't a good pain killer

You're comparing two different side effects.

Are you saying Vic kills pain and Darv doesn't?

Vicoden is fairly potent, like the old Tylenol4s.  Darvocet is much weaker.

For painkilling, Vicoden is much better, except that you may be tempted to ride out the pain and take the Vicoden one night when you feel better and are settlng down for a few beers.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 7:12:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Hmmmm, I'm not seeing too much of a difference between the two........
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 7:13:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Darvocet has Tylenol, which I am deathly allergic to.  Give me Vicodin every time.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 7:15:09 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Darvocet has Tylenol, which I am deathly allergic to.  Give me Vicodin every time.

Vic has Tylenol sweetie.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 7:16:30 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was prescribed Darvo even after telling the doc I didn't wanna "F" with another narco because I knew I tolerated Vic well and I knew nothing about Darvo. I wonder why he prescribed Darvo instead of Vic? Is one more addictive than the other?

I've read that propoxyphene has a higher abuse potential than some of the other oral opioids, but they are all equally addicitve.  It depends on the individuals response to the drug and dose/duration of use.  They can all induce euphoria and withdrawal.  This is really subjective, until you start talking about real potent opioid agonists.  For a while propoxyphene was prescribed over codeine, simply because of a misconception of addictiveness of codeine, but the street seems to perpetuate these myths.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 7:17:08 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Hmmmm, I'm not seeing too much of a difference between the two........

The only thing I'm seeing is that Vic is stronger and a better buzz.

I've taken both and they both worked well for pain.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 7:18:46 PM EDT
[#28]
I spent 9 months on the couch back in '98 after a bad car accident. Left leg in an external fixator and I had busted ribs and a brokrn sternum. Vic's were my best friend for the first few months.

+1 on the constipation

+1 on finding 1 or 2 left over and having it with a beer
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 7:19:34 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've read that propoxyphene has a higher abuse potential than some of the other oral opioids, but they are all equally addicitve.  It depends on the individuals response to the drug and dose/duration of use.  They can all induce euphoria and withdrawal.  This is really subjective, until you start talking about real potent opioid agonists.  For a while propoxyphene was prescribed over codeine, simply because of a misconception of addictiveness of codeine, but the street seems to perpetuate these myths.

You're so smart Misery! I remember when you were giving me advice for my tooth pain and Vic use. You should be a pharmacist!

Or are you one already?
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 7:28:10 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're so smart Misery! I remember when you were giving me advice for my tooth pain and Vic use. You should be a pharmacist!

Or are you one already?

No, but my college study was focused around neurobiology.

For the most part, speaking in general terms, propoxyphene is half as strong as codeine and twice as strong as aspirin.  It does have a lower abuse potential from 95% of the reading I done, but high doses can result in similar abuse to it, like Percocet or Vicodin.  Percocet and Vicodin are considered weak, however, they're the most potent of all commonly prescribed opioids (e.g., back/neck pain, headaches, myalgias).  A lot of people think Demorol is strong, but it's really about the same as codeine.  It tends to cause the same euphoria as morphine, but has a toxic metabolite.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 7:55:26 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

No, but my college study was focused around neurobiology.

For the most part, speaking in general terms, propoxyphene is half as strong as codeine and twice as strong as aspirin.  It does have a lower abuse potential from 95% of the reading I done, but high doses can result in similar abuse to it, like Percocet or Vicodin.  Percocet and Vicodin are considered weak, however, they're the most potent of all commonly prescribed opioids (e.g., back/neck pain, headaches, myalgias).  A lot of people think Demorol is strong, but it's really about the same as codeine.  It tends to cause the same euphoria as morphine, but has a toxic metabolite.

So when you get down to it, Vic is more "abused" than Darvo?
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 7:59:40 PM EDT
[#32]
There was a story a while back that I read in a thread about "addicts" who go to the ER to score some Vic and the Docs would give them some kind of med that would throw them into withdrawal or make them sick, (something like that) so they could see if they were addicts. What's that drug anyway?
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 8:04:10 PM EDT
[#33]
More than likely, more so based on the prescribing "habits" of doctors though.  I personally think more people tolerate and like the effects they get from Vicodin and Percocet, therefore they're a drug of opportunity.  Without looking up numbers, I'd say those two are close.  Oxycodone which is the opioid agonist in Percocet, is also the drug in OxyContin, and those have been abused heavily by people who take the sustained release coating off and mix them for IV use.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 8:07:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Sorry cant help. I hate the feeling pain killers give me so I never take em. I always save am up just in case I realy need them but I usually end up throwing them away. Many of my pill head lib friends always try to get me to give them to em. I figure I may chop my foot off while  cutting my trees or something stupid like that so I keep em around until expiration. Even then 3 Advil gel caps work pretty well and dont make me feel doped up.

Hop you find something that works for you. Pain sucks, unfortunately for me I am too much of a lightweight and have to deal with the pain instead of a buzz.

The giant horse pill Motrin they used to hand out in the Army  worked pretty good if you took like 2 or 3.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 8:08:54 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
More than likely, more so based on the prescribing "habits" of doctors though.  I personally think more people tolerate and like the effects they get from Vicodin and Percocet, therefore they're a drug of opportunity.  Without looking up numbers, I'd say those two are close.  Oxycodone which is the opioid agonist in Percocet, is also the drug in OxyContin, and those have been abused heavily by people who take the sustained release coating off and mix them for IV use.

I heard the Oxy stuff is bad....
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 8:09:37 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
There was a story a while back that I read in a thread about "addicts" who go to the ER to score some Vic and the Docs would give them some kind of med that would throw them into withdrawal or make them sick, (something like that) so they could see if they were addicts. What's that drug anyway?

More than likely Narcan (naloxone), although Narcan is not inherently safe, so I think that's a bad idea.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 8:12:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Darvocet is easier on the stomach and liver. Vicodin gives me more of a buzz.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 8:16:09 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

More than likely Narcan (naloxone), although Narcan is not inherently safe, so I think that's a bad idea.

Why would a Dr. give someone who is complaining of pain Narcan? I mean what if the person is really in pain and the Doc is only delaying relief? I mean can a Doc really do that to someone or does Narcan relieve pain also?
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 8:16:15 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I heard the Oxy stuff is bad....

Well, injecting a drug IV that's not meant for it is bad.  It's a great drug for people with severe pain, but other sustained release drugs, such as MS Contin aren't prescibed and marketed as much.  So the general public isn't abusing them.  If MS Contin was prescribed as much as OxyContin, then it'd be in the same boat.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 8:20:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Dunno. Got some Vicodin a while back for a broken bone, and thought it was pretty candy-ass. If I'm going to take painkillers I want to be knocked flat on my ass until it's all over, and the Vics weren't in that category.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 8:25:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Darvocet is propoxyphene/acetaminophen.  Vicodin is hydrocodone/acetaminophen.

Asking to explain the difference is like easking the difference between cefepime and ceftazidime.  They're both cephalosporin antibiotics, they treat similar infections, but they are different.  Without getting into more complex discussions, it is difficult to explain which is 'stronger.'
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 8:32:44 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Why would a Dr. give someone who is complaining of pain Narcan? I mean what if the person is really in pain and the Doc is only delaying relief? I mean can a Doc really do that to someone or does Narcan relieve pain also?

It only takes a relatively low dose of Narcan to reverse the effects of opioid agonists.  Naloxone, naltrexone, and nalmefene are opioid antagonists, and only really produce effects in those who are taking opioid agonists.  A low dose isn't going to do anything to the opioid naive.

..and my internet died....waiting to post
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 8:34:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Vicodens can kill you and are a narcotic, don't remeber the class but they are stronger than Darvocets.

Stay away from Vicodens.

They will kill you.

Sgatr15

POS  follow direction or die.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 8:34:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Booth go well with hookers, cheaper than blow.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 8:34:53 PM EDT
[#45]
I was prescribed vicodin when I broke my hand last winter.  I liked it a lot.   It didn't ease my pain so much as made me not care about my pain.

And it made me really really happy.  As in a hot chick just asks you to come to her house after work happy.  And it didn't make me tired or foggy at all.  And it gave me the urge to call up old friends I hadn't spoken to for years.

I'm glad I didn't have any refills.  I liked it a lot.

It made me feel so happy and good that I started watching the clock and lamenting the fact that it wouldn't last much longer.   Maybe I have an addictive personality.  I love my beer.  But vicodin is a totally different vibe.

In my  checkered past I've used a lot of illicit drugs up to but not including crack and heroin.  And I've never used anything that made me feel as happy to be a human being as vicodin.  And I've spoken to many who feel the same.

I think maybe a lot of people on the board who have spoken about pain killers haven't used drugs recreationally, so don't know what is to be desired.  And that's why they pay no mind to it, and why trailer trash and people like myself either look for such drugs, or know to steer clear of them.

Just my .02.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 8:35:36 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I believe Vicodin is more addictive.

Oh yeah.

ANd it can kill you.

Plus many people have a "speed" efect with it..VERY addicting.

Stay away.

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 8:38:12 PM EDT
[#47]
One Victor would not touch the pain of a scratched cornea.  I think I would have rather had a gunshot wound.  The second Victor was naptime for 8 hours.  By then the eyeball was healing well.  Yes, I was wearing eye protection, and more around the shooting community should also.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 8:41:02 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Both will stop up your bung-hole worse than a cement butt-plug!

They're not supposed to be used suppository-style
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 8:41:13 PM EDT
[#49]
ive had both when i broke the tip of my pinkee finger.  ouchy ouchy boo boo not fun

darvset didnt do a dam thing for the pain vicodin did though.

what i know about vicoden is the it  blocks the pain signals from going from nerve to another.  theres no fuzzy cloud feeling  (at least for me ) if that makes sense at all
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 8:41:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top