Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/15/2017 3:44:37 AM EDT
My grandparents had one of these in their bedroom for as long as I can remember. Eskimo desk fan. Solid as a brick appliance that never had an issue. Other than grandkids cut fingers.

Small price to pay for American iron and steel.

This was a seriously good fan though.

Link Posted: 1/15/2017 3:46:24 AM EDT
[#1]
That is why we  start out with TEN fingers.

For several years in the  70's  we lit primarily with  ( All GLASS )  Kerosene  wick type lamps, occasionally  supplementing  with  the steel ( Coleman )  pressurized GASOLINE  lamps  for  card games, parties, or if some medical type  procedure, or inspection was required.
Yes, We ran these INSIDE the house :

I was, at 9 years old  100%  in charge of  filling, lighting and maintaining  all fuel lamps, and keeping a fire burning in the cookstove in summer, and the  COAL stove in winter.

Link Posted: 1/15/2017 3:53:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Lead paint
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 4:01:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lead paint
View Quote
Lead toy soldiers. 
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 4:07:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My grandparents had one of these in their bedroom for as long as I can remember. Eskimo desk fan. Solid as a brick appliance that never had an issue. Other than grandkids cut fingers.

http://i.imgur.com/DhIzJMr.jpg
View Quote
Those fans worked good and lasted a long time.  I have to think that one of the reasons they were so effective is because most of the fucking breeze wasn't blocked by a fucking guard.

The guard protected against likely accidental brushing into.  Purposely sticking one's finger in it was not guarded against.  Important lessons were taught by those fans that probably saved kids from much worse accidents with more dangerous equipment like lawn mowers.

Lesson 1.  Do not stick fingers in sharp rotating equipment.

Lesson 2.  Long lasting American appliances are better for your overall well being than getting in a car wreck to purchase another piece of shit chinese fan and give money to a country that wants to take over and attack you.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 4:08:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Grampa had packages of strychnine he kept in his garage to use on coyotes.

"See where it says poison? That skull and crossbones?"

"Yes sir."

"Don't mess with it."

"Yes sir."
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 4:08:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Lead toy soldiers. 
View Quote
Painted with lead paint.

And set on fire with leaded gasoline during the final assault.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 4:10:55 AM EDT
[#7]
I have an old all steel fan I'm trying to restore, gotta get the motor rewound first, and then deal with wiring the thing. 

Did you know there is an antique fan collectors club!? Yeah, I joined to help get parts. 
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 4:12:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Asbestos.

Lived in houses full of the shit for years.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 4:26:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Everything is dangerous if not used in the intended manner. 
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 4:31:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Everything is dangerous if not used in the intended manner. 
View Quote

True enough, but somehow we lived through it without warning stickers on everything.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 4:38:44 AM EDT
[#11]
My Grandma had a oven sized fan with no guard of any kind, looked like a ship propeller.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 4:42:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 4:43:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Set of Jarts in the garage.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 4:47:05 AM EDT
[#14]
When I was 9 or 10, I was tasked with removing the tubes from the TV so we could take them to be tested and find the bad one.  Who knew an unplugged TV still held electricity?  
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 4:48:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My Grandma had a oven sized fan with no guard of any kind, looked like a ship propeller.
View Quote
  That's brass balls old school right there.
 I  love the historical lack of regard  for safety and long lives.

Simply amazing how  fucking BRAVE people were, back before penicillin,  small pox vaccines, etc.
 No  regard , no fucks given.
Open spinning, unenclosed fan in the kitcheN: You kids stay awy from that...  first and last warning.
 Six or eight  kids, oldest is me  at  eleven  out patrolling   in Cook Inlet with a  wooden skiff, and  outboard motor.... No radio, no GPS,  no life jackets... just normal kids out fucking around on the  OCEAN.
 That was regular normal  40 years ago, still  is that  way in the bush.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 4:56:03 AM EDT
[#16]
I remember playing with Mercury, from broken thermometers, and using it to polish silver dimes.

Most kids today have never even seen a real silver dime much less a pool of mercury.

Link Posted: 1/15/2017 5:01:34 AM EDT
[#17]
The old man had a bottle of nitroglycerin in a refrigerator out in the garage. Never knew why...

Not that nitro has ever been all that common a household item.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 5:23:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 5:25:40 AM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

Might as well add 80s to that. Same shit for me.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 5:34:30 AM EDT
[#20]
I remember going with my mom to the hardware store to buy a can of carbon tetrachloride "carbon tet" that she used to spot clean woolen clothes. Also, in my sunday school, there were several "Fire Grenades" that were actually glass balls about the size of a baseball, filled with carbon tet. When you threw the fire grenade at the base of a fire, the carbon tet would quickly evaporate and displace the oxygen, supposedly putting out the fire. The only problem was that being near the stuff when it evaporated meant that you didn't get any oxygen either. That stuff has been banned for years.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 5:38:23 AM EDT
[#21]
DDT,, I remember during potato  stray season , that we would ring out our soaked socks , and our feet and hands would be yellow for a week...
      The pond where we got the water for the sprayer and where we would mix the DDT  and toss the buckets, would have dead birds and frogs floating on the pond  and not a bug in sight .....  
       I miss the freedom of lead paint, asbestos,  moonshine, dynamite,  our homemade soap that was so toxic we had to use wooden broom handle to mix , because it would eat threw   steal  
     Our used engine oil in the driveway to reduce dust,    we would burn  the tops of the potato plants with a fuel oil  cart we'd tow with a tractor,    would drip fuel over the green plant and a trailer with propane flame would light it up......   we used to love to do it at night.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 5:52:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
DDT,, I remember during potato  stray season , that we would ring out our soaked socks , and our feet and hands would be yellow for a week...
      The pond where we got the water for the sprayer and where we would mix the DDT  and toss the buckets, would have dead birds and frogs floating on the pond  and not a bug in sight .....  
       I miss the freedom of lead paint, asbestos,  moonshine, dynamite,  our homemade soap that was so toxic we had to use wooden broom handle to mix , because it would eat threw   steal  
     Our used engine oil in the driveway to reduce dust,    we would burn  the tops of the potato plants with a fuel oil  cart we'd tow with a tractor,    would drip fuel over the green plant and a trailer with propane flame would light it up......   we used to love to do it at night.
View Quote
that never went anywhere
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 6:03:04 AM EDT
[#23]
The Bottles of liquor my parents had when i was a young teen
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 6:08:26 AM EDT
[#24]
  A long time ago, and several  'Statute O Limititations" have expired..... at age 13, I gained access to the high school chem lab.
Old school chem lab,  back when they had the  good stuff.

I made off with one high grade, long  mixing THERMOMETER,  and a couple liters of  fuming Nitric and  concentrated Sulfuric  acids...
 Bicycled down the drugstore for a  pint of glycerin....

Got set up with  rock salt, ice bath,  baking soda, etc..... started  mixing acids,   pouring and stirring, as careful as a couple of  8th graders...
 After a  long bit of stirring,  and with some delay,  THE reaction started to kick with some bit of drama, temperature was spiking fast,  I got scared, ran the reaction beaker outside, stuffed it in the snow.
 We  went inside and cringed for    10 minutes or so, got brave,   warmed it up slow....  after dilution, and   neutralizing with  baking soda.... we  dabbed out a  few DROPS on paper towel, wrapped it in alum foil, and  whacked it with  a  big  8 pound hammer.  
  Stuff went bang every time, 3 drops would  throw the hammer back at ya   pretty sharply. make a tiny  divot in the  garage floor.

. We massed up  just  about 3/4 cup of the pure stuff. Kept it in the  kitchen freezer, told mom   very sternly NOT to allow  that particular jar to thaw.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 6:20:18 AM EDT
[#25]
In the tool shed there was the old pump up gasoline blowtorch which was as handy as a crescent wrench is today.

Seltzer water bottles.

Sulfur sticks sometime used when smoking meat.

Airsol spray cans with Freon as a contact cleaner.

Full strength Hydrochloric, Sulfuric and Nitric acids available off the shelf at the neighborhood hardware store.

Salt Peter (Potassium Nitrate) on the shelf in the local drug store.

Things I and my friends did back in jr high which didn't even raise a ruckus then would land a student today in prison and make national news.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 6:20:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 6:29:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I remember playing with Mercury, from broken thermometers, and using it to polish silver dimes.

Most kids today have never even seen a real silver dime much less a pool of mercury.

https://wpcron.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/mercury.gif?w=350&h=200&crop=1
View Quote
every pre 1980 house in the country has probably had a thermometer dropped and broken in it, miniscule amounts but it is more common then you would guess
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 6:29:07 AM EDT
[#28]
He he he Nitro...

Nitro Glycerin is no joke.  Nitro Glycerol is much more stable and has about 80-90% punch per volume.

Made Lead Azide in summer school - teacher was not aware of its end uses and did not recognize its potential.

But that is what can happen when you hire someone with a degree in Organic Chemistry to teach a high school advanced Chem class.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 6:37:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Antrol ant poison really worked well when it was arsenic and sugar water.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 6:52:17 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
  A long time ago, and several  'Statute O Limititations" have expired..... at age 13, I gained access to the high school chem lab.
Old school chem lab,  back when they had the  good stuff.

I made off with one high grade, long  mixing THERMOMETER,  and a couple liters of  fuming Nitric and  concentrated Sulfuric  acids...
 Bicycled down the drugstore for a  pint of glycerin....

Got set up with  rock salt, ice bath,  baking soda, etc..... started  mixing acids,   pouring and stirring, as careful as a couple of  8th graders...
 After a  long bit of stirring,  and with some delay,  THE reaction started to kick with some bit of drama, temperature was spiking fast,  I got scared, ran the reaction beaker outside, stuffed it in the snow.
 We  went inside and cringed for    10 minutes or so, got brave,   warmed it up slow....  after dilution, and   neutralizing with  baking soda.... we  dabbed out a  few DROPS on paper towel, wrapped it in alum foil, and  whacked it with  a  big  8 pound hammer.  
  Stuff went bang every time, 3 drops would  throw the hammer back at ya   pretty sharply. make a tiny  divot in the  garage floor.

. We massed up  just  about 3/4 cup of the pure stuff. Kept it in the  kitchen freezer, told mom   very sternly NOT to allow  that particular jar to thaw.
View Quote
My buddy took Chemistry at 9th grade and the teacher had a fascination with exploding stuff so they learned how to make bombs for a semester. He wasn't very concerned with students helping themselves to stuff either.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 7:47:12 AM EDT
[#31]
High school chemistry labs across the county were stocked with all kinds of dangerous chemicals in the 1950's, courtesy of the chemical industry.

For some reason, we had a large block of sodium metal in glass jug of kerosene on a shelf in the classroom.

We got a new scintillation counter for measuring radiation. It would advance a light on the display over time as it detected radiation, giving an indication of the radiation level. It came with  alpha, beta, and gamma ray samples. The samples would take a long amount of time to advance the lights.
One day, we decided to try it on something we found stored in a closet in a large heavy lead box. As soon as my lab partner cracked open the lid, from across the room, the scintillation counter ran though all of the lights and off the scale immediately. We slammed the lid shut and never messed with it again.

At the end of the quarter, we were instructed to built a test kit of chemicals to test an unknown chemical for the final.
When the teacher saw my lab partners kit, she commented that he had enough cyanide to kill everyone in the city.
I had even more in my kit.

There was chemical in the classroom supply that was so deadly, that even the teacher was concerned.
So she took it out back of the school and poured it into a hole in the ground she dug.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 7:54:19 AM EDT
[#32]
I have always been the most dangerous thing in my house...
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 8:10:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Grampa had packages of strychnine he kept in his garage to use on coyotes.

"See where it says poison? That skull and crossbones?"

"Yes sir."

"Don't mess with it."

"Yes sir."
View Quote
I have some right now. It's old, was there when we bought this place 20 years ago.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 8:10:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
When I was 9 or 10, I was tasked with removing the tubes from the TV so we could take them to be tested and find the bad one.  Who knew an unplugged TV still held electricity?  
View Quote

I didn't until the repairman left the panel for the dial controls open when he ran back to his shop to get some parts or something.
I was probably only 6-7 years old at the time when I reached in to grab a handful of dust that had accumulated in there...

Don't know what I touched but BAM! Across the room I flew!

Oh, and I almost forgot about calcium carbide. Couple of coffee cans with small nail hole in the bottom, a splash of water, wait a minute and put a match to it!
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 8:17:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lol my Dad WARNED me and I STILL got lit up!

Every little store had a tube tester.
And shotgun shells and .22s.
Pickled onions, pickles, and pretzel sticks.
And grass shrimp, peelers, and bloodworms during the summer.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 8:20:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Guns!  

The media told me they jump out of their case and kill people indiscriminately.  

Thank goodness I remedied that!
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 8:20:55 AM EDT
[#37]
CANDLES! CANDLES SHOULD NEVER BE LIT IN A HOME 
EXCEPT IN THE CASE OF AN EMERGENCY!

thank you for listening.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 8:27:40 AM EDT
[#38]
Unvented gas heaters in bedrooms and bathrooms. And I used to be tasked with hooking them up when we moved. Nine years old installing open-flame gas appliances at the foot of my bed. 

You know you have an old house when you have gas taps in bedrooms.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 8:35:22 AM EDT
[#39]
Grandma and grandpa smoked like steam ships inside. I don't miss those days.

We had a kerosene heater that was kept in the upstairs hallway. One night four year old me ended up tripping and landing right on top of it. I still have the scar on my stomach from the full thickness burns.

Micromachines. Tiny little toy cars that caused the choking deaths of dozens of children annually.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 8:37:44 AM EDT
[#40]
Playing with mercury, jarts, army surplus asbestos used to wrap holes in mufflers and tailpipes, and some childhood experiments involving electrical outlets, wire, and a metal shelf.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 8:50:25 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/DhIzJMr.jpg
View Quote
We used to love planting our faces up against the grills of those things to make ourselves sound like evil robots when I was little.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 9:19:15 AM EDT
[#42]
I have owned a gun and had access to it and ammo 24/7 since I was 10.
Sharp knives. Poisons and chemicals.
I rode a horse that I had climb up on the stall wall to get a on. I roamed the woods with a .22, matches, knife and old coffee can. I killed, cleaned and cooked small game on a regular basis.
We chopped down trees with an axe and made forts.
My parents didn't smoke but I have rode bikes to the store with my friend and bought smokes for his folks.

Fireworks. Glorious fireworks. M80s and Cherry Bombs. We would unstring firecrackers and experiment. We'd put little green Army men over a buried fire cracker and blow them up. Shoot marbles out of a piece of pipe with firecrackers.

It was a great time to be a kid.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 9:21:04 AM EDT
[#43]
Electricity 
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 9:30:33 AM EDT
[#44]
Click Clacks came out and everyone had them, then our school banned them because "you might put your eye out."

Link Posted: 1/15/2017 9:33:19 AM EDT
[#45]
Not so much dangerous as they were unloaded, but oh the memories of my dad's rifles and shotguns standing in a corner of my parents clothes closet and the enveloping sweet aroma of moth balls. I used to love going in there and feeling up the guns when I was a kid 
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 9:34:59 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
every pre 1980 house in the country has probably had a thermometer dropped and broken in it, miniscule amounts but it is more common then you would guess
View Quote

It happened in the 90's too.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 9:37:13 AM EDT
[#47]
Phisoderm
(eta: the real stuff, 3% hexachlorophene)

I must be invincible
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 9:41:41 AM EDT
[#48]
About the only dangerous thing I had was my do it yourself rocket engines. Hollowed out a book to hid them as I thought my parents might not approve.

Came home one day to find the book empty. No words were ever spoken about it.

Moved on to theoretical astrophysics.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 9:43:00 AM EDT
[#49]
Guns
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 9:45:49 AM EDT
[#50]
Those old Christmas tree lights that got really hot. It's a wonder the trees never went up in flames.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top