Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2005 8:44:15 AM EDT
Looks like we're having a crab boil tonight. I went crabbing today, and when i got there I just started picking 'em up with a dipnet. I never cut the first piece of string or bait. We caught 80 very nice crabs. I threw back about 5 dozen that I probably would have kept on any other day. Filled up the ice chest in about 2 hours. Has anyone ever caught crabs like this ( without bait)? When we were leaving, we asked the people up the road a ways how much they had caught. "Almost a dozen" was their reply. So I showed them the spot to catch them and hit the road.

ETA: it looks like there was room left in the ice chest. Suppose i could have caught more, but I don't even know if we can eat all of these.

ETA: Check pg 2 for the local guys if you wanna see where i caught 'em.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:48:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't worry man it's just blue crabs, they go away with a little gumbo  
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:50:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Before I clicked on was getting ready to post something else Thats going to be some good eating. Enjoy
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:50:59 AM EDT
[#3]
they look tiny.

why so small?

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:52:38 AM EDT
[#4]
They're not king crabs or anything, but they're almost as big as they get around here. And taste great.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:53:02 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
they look tiny.

why so small?

Sgat1r5

stick a finger in there and then let's talk about small
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:53:23 AM EDT
[#6]
stuffed crab, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:54:05 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
They're not king crabs or anything, but they're almost as big as they get around here. And taste great.

Okay...I don't know what type of crab we have here, I only went once and they where bigger.

We used to have LOTS of crawdads in our river but don't anymore.

You ever eat brain butter?

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:55:00 AM EDT
[#8]
I went crabbing at Galveston and we were supposed to use chicken as bait but could only get turkey. I couldn't catch anything so I used the net and started to just swish around the water, and I scooped one. He was one ticked off MOFO because he didn't get baited first.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:55:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Brain butter, as you call it is a delicasy (sp) here.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:10:20 AM EDT
[#10]

Those blue crabs look mighty tasty.

I used to catch a bunch of crawdads as a kid, but now there are houses where the stream used to be.  There has been an invasion of Chinese Mitten crabs, but I have never tried to catch any.  The only crabs you find around here are at Joe's Crab Shack.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:13:58 AM EDT
[#11]
I caught about 30-40 good sized dungeness locally.   Unfortunately all but 1 were female and therefore not keepers.   Them blue crabs look tiny by comparison.   Kind of like our rock crabs.   By brain butter, I hope that's not the blue and black crap I clean off and get rid of.....  Ick!   Legs and the cleaned meat from inside, none of that goopy crap!  

How do you guys prepare em down there?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:20:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Crabs:  The insects of the sea.  Mmm, mmm.  

J/K, I like seafood.  I just can't help thinking about how similar they are to bugs.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:24:21 AM EDT
[#13]
I use to go crabbing with my Dad on the Long Island sound. We use to catch blue claws by the dozen. Lotta fun and good eating.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:26:02 AM EDT
[#14]
What's the size limit on blue claws down there?  Up in Jersey they gotta be 4.5 inchaes across the carapace to be keepers and females can't have egg sacks.  

I have a spot at the Jersey shore that no one is allowed to enter (CCTV and 24/7/365 guards).  My dad has vehicle access due to his job.  No one else can get to our spot.  

I was there a couple weeks ago with my dad and my son.  We took home 3 dozen in about 2 hours.  Some with just a net as you described.  We have a self imposed size of 5 inches and only males for this areas as we want it to stay as perfect as it is right now.  We had a couple of whoppers over 6 inches across, those things had some claws on them I tell ya.    
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:26:38 AM EDT
[#15]
We always boil them whole, pick all the meat, then mix with some bread crumbs, egg, onion, bell pepper, salt, pepper and press into a muffin pan. Bake in the oven and you have some mighty fine crab muffins(cakes).
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:26:48 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Crabs:  The insects of the sea.  Mmm, mmm.  

J/K, I like seafood.  I just can't help thinking about how similar they are to bugs.

Damn I thought I was the only one that was creeped out by this.   Damned good tasting roaches though.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:28:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Reminds me of a stroy....

Seems like Boudreaux's wife was lost in the swamp.

The Sheriff comes by his house and says, "Boudreaux, I got some bad news and some good news."

Boudreaux says, "What's da bad news."

Sheriff:  "We found your wife.  She drownded in the swamp."

Boudreaus says, "Ma, dat's bad.  What's the good news?"

Sheriff:  "She was covered with big blue crabs.  We left her there and we gonna run her again in a couple of hours."

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:39:11 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
We always boil them whole, pick all the meat, then mix with some bread crumbs, egg, onion, bell pepper, salt, pepper and press into a muffin pan. Bake in the oven and you have some mighty fine crab muffins(cakes).

Oh, what a shame... steam those puppies! Get some Old Bay seasoning and do them MD style. Trust me on this.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 10:11:12 AM EDT
[#19]
An experience I will never forget.
A few years ago a Brother in Law was working in LA, out of Bayou Plaquemine. Went down with another BIL for a week of fishing. Did fresh and saltwater, had a great time.
One eve., BIL called a friend who invited us to a family crab boil. I was hungry and it sounded good.
Now you have to understand that this friend was a genuine cajun and the boil was done the way they like it. One crab and two beers later I was done! It was somewhat embarrassing to watch the young kids wolf them down. This yankee just could not take it. Was really hungry too.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:44:07 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Okay...I don't know what type of crab we have here, I only went once and they where bigger.

We used to have LOTS of crawdads in our river but don't anymore.

Sgat1r5

for your edification, sarge...I give you Callinectes sapidus...the blue crab.
noaa.chesapeakebay.net/spc/bluecrab.htm

A bushel of #1 Jimmies and some cold beer, and you are *almost* in heaven.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:54:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Make Dat Gumbo, Sha! AH EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
Where'd you go crabing................Friend

Will FedEx allow My new friend's Gumbo to be shipped overnight ............Hmmmmmmmmm!
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:55:45 PM EDT
[#22]
What time will dinner be ready? I'll bring the beer.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:58:00 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Sgat1r5

WTF is brain butter, or do I want to know?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:58:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Dang, looks good. Not quite what we're used to in Alaska, but I still dig crab feeds. Had an uncle in Juneau have me over one night after he pulled the king crab pots. One of the best dinners ever....tons of fresh king crab legs, butter, and beer. Heaven on Earth!
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:00:22 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
they look tiny.

why so small?

Sgat1r5

Blue crabs, soft shells

I think?

Hard to tell in pic
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:01:10 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sgat1r5

After you pinch the tail and suck the head. Brain batter.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:03:14 PM EDT
[#27]
eat up.  man I would like some crabs please?

Max
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:26:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Hey Mojo, nice looking blues there.  Where'd you get 'em?  My sister and some of her friends went down to Rockefeller Refuge over the July 4th holiday and ended up catching about 60 dozen, and they were all big and full.

Tell me you boiled 'em in Zatarains!

They do this every 4th, one of the ladies' Dads has a camp at Holly Beach, so they stay there at night and crab all day.

It is hard for me to decide if I like boiled crab or boiled crawfish better.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:37:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Here is some free advice from a state that is famed for it's Crabs and crab preparation. Don't boil the damned things. You steam them, ....just like shrimp. Use beer and Old Bay.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:07:43 PM EDT
[#30]
All you have to do is follow the directions on Zatarains liquid crab boil. Add some caynne for a little extra kick. That reminds me I need to make plans to go to Grand Isle and fish the passes for bull reds and a little crabbing on the side.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:14:00 PM EDT
[#31]
All males?  I'll bet you threw back a bunch of egg bearing females this time of year.  Rockefeller is laplace for crabs and Vermillion bay is good too around 4 mile.

On Grand Isle we just use a small seine most of the time but a long line with chicken necks works well too.

Bon Manger mon frere!
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:32:30 PM EDT
[#32]

When I use to live in Maryland, back in the early 70"s. We always went to Ocean City for the summers. We'd go to the inland side of the beaches and catch our crabs. You could see them crawling around. No bait needed. They would just climb into our cages, then we'd just pull them up. Damm I miss those days. I'd eat for hours.

As for crawdads, I ate tail, but the hell with suckin head. Crawdad gumbo is the shitttzzzzz!
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:45:28 PM EDT
[#33]
For the locals: I caught these at Rockerfeller Game Reserve. Not quite at the end (the spot where the water is at both sides of the road). The middle of that strectch to the fron part. Didn't even bait a line. Just walked by and scooped up the ones i saw.  I arrived at about 6:30 or 7 and started picking them up. had the ice chest full by 9:00. I threw back probably 5 dozen nice eating size crabs and kept only the nicer ones. We boiled 'em up with a bottle of liquid Zatarans and a big jar of Pro Boil. They were delicious. Fed 8 people with 2 dozen leftover.

There are no size limits on blues here. Just can't keep females with eggs or babies.

Its the yellow stuff in crawfish heads. I eat it I don't eat the crud inside of the crab shell but i have met freaks who do.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:48:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Is that kosher?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:55:59 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

When I use to live in Maryland, back in the early 70"s. We always went to Ocean City for the summers. We'd go to the inland side of the beaches and catch our crabs. You could see them crawling around. No bait needed. They would just climb into our cages, then we'd just pull them up. Damm I miss those days. I'd eat for hours.

As for crawdads, I ate tail, but the hell with suckin head. Crawdad gumbo is the shitttzzzzz!

Same here, we'd hit my aunt's beachouse in Fenwick Island, just to the north of Ocean City and wear those crabs out.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:56:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Oh man, that's just not cool.  I'm gonna miss fresh crab.  They're too hard to find here in the MN cornfields.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top