Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2005 3:10:23 PM EDT
I'm trying to combine 4 CD games onto one DVD.

They will all fit but, they prompt for disc insertion during installation/operation.

If I put all 4 CDs onto that DVD, would the computer prompt recognize the single DVD as each CD (All four) during installation/operation?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 3:17:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Awww come on...
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 3:21:41 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Awww come on...

I asked a similar question recently.  I'm taking evening physics classes at the local university in an attempt to understand them

I'm tagging this baby in hopes of a layman's response.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 3:23:48 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Awww come on...

I asked a similar question recently.  I'm taking evening physics classes at the local university in an attempt to understand them

Good luck, physics is great, but its just the basics.   DVDs are up in the Graduate level of engineering/computer science.  You should take some computer sci instead, that will help more.  Or more to the point, you will get in touch with some real nerds, they will hook you up.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 3:37:47 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Awww come on...

Good luck, physics is great, but its just the basics.   DVDs are up in the Graduate level of engineering/computer science.  You should take some computer sci instead, that will help more.  Or more to the point, you will get in touch with some real nerds, they will hook you up.  

Yet another answer beyond my comprehension.  I was thinking something along the lines of:

Microsoft DVD Burner software.  It's sooooo fuckin' easy you won't believe it and it's only $35.

Are you seeing it?  
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:05:52 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Awww come on...

Yet another answer beyond my comprehension.  I was thinking something along the lines of:

Microsoft DVD Burner software.  It's sooooo fuckin' easy you won't believe it and it's only $35.

Are you seeing it?  

Now I get it.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:14:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Awww come on...

Are you seeing it?  

Now I get it.  

I don't get it.

IM me if needed...
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:24:51 PM EDT
[#7]
if its newer games it most likely won't work.  Yes you used to be able to copy the cd to the hardrive and then to a cd-r......... but don't you think they are smarter than that now
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:26:48 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
if its newer games it most likely won't work.  Yes you used to be able to copy the cd to the hardrive and then to a cd-r......... but don't you think they are smarter than that now

How about older games or games with single discs?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:48:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I think it has to do with the game looking for the "key" on the cd.  The goal is to keep you from spreading the game around to all your friends.  This is done by requireing you to have the CD in the computer in order to start the game.  

The game, is given a path to the location on the CD where the "key" is located.  Since there are now several games on the DVD it dosen't know where to look.  This is how I understand it from my basic understanding of C++ and other languages.  

If you wanted to get down and dirty, you might be able to do it if the files are arranged correctly on the DVD.  I have never tried this, but I would try getting the files on the disk in exactly the same form as they are on their respective CDs.  No name changes, no hiding files. Example: The game will look for D:\autorun.exe or D:\videos\introduction.wmv  if you moved it to D:\game1\videos\introduction.wmv it wont work.  

Another issue, gaming CDs are sometimes hard to copy, and they have some tricky anti-copy measures, if the game is copyable and runable from a copied cd, then you should be able to copy the game to the DVD.  This is the best info I can give you.  Other than, surfing the rather sneaky and illegal sites on the net...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top