Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2004 5:18:34 PM EDT
I just installed a Sony DVD +RW in my computer.  The computer recognized it when I turned the computer back on.  It plays the  DVD but there is no sound.   I tried the dvd in the other DVD drive that came with the computer and cannot get any sound out of it either.

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 5:20:08 PM EDT
[#1]
this might be a silly question, but besides hooking up the IDE cable, and power cable, did you also hook up the 3 wire sound cable from the drive to the mother board? This is required for sound from a drive....
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 5:25:16 PM EDT
[#2]
also, double click that little speaker on the lower right of your screen.

check to see if the volume is set properly.

i did the same thing and felt stupid when it was my volume setting that was the problem.

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 5:32:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Right click My Computer on your desktop, select Properties, select the Hardware Tab,
hit the Device Manager Button, look for the DVD/CD-ROM Drives icon, right click it,
select Properties, select the Properties Tab, look for the Digital CD Playback section
in the resulting window, check Enable digital CD audio for this CD-ROM device.
That should do it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 5:47:11 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Right click My Computer on your desktop, select Properties, select the Hardware Tab,
hit the Device Manager Button, look for the DVD/CD-ROM Drives icon, right click it,
select Properties, select the Properties Tab, look for the Digital CD Playback section
in the resulting window, check Enable digital CD audio for this CD-ROM device.
That should do it.

Didn't work.  Both were enabled fpt digital audio.

Quoted:
this might be a silly question, but besides hooking up the IDE cable, and power cable, did you also hook up the 3 wire sound cable from the drive to the mother board? This is required for sound from a drive....

No.  The one that came with the computer does not have it either.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:32:01 PM EDT
[#5]
What Kind of sound card?

Is it on the mb or a PCI Card?

Somewhere is a checked(or unchecked) box on an option panel
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top