Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/25/2005 10:05:32 PM EDT
Everytime I bust out the Dremel to do a project around the house I find myself looking around wondering... What else can I "Dremel?"

I was about to file down these teeeeeeeeeeeeny tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiny screws on my daughter's glasses that I just fixed... got the Jewler's files out ready to go and my bride says..."I would have figured you would have used the Dremel for that"

WTF??? WHY DIDNT I THINK OF THAT???

Did the job in SECONDS and looks GREAT!...

now what else can I Dremel around here... already polished the wedding ring... looks brand new...

.... Hmmmm grind the calouses off my feet?? BRB ... Whoooo Hoooo!
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:07:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Dremels are fun!
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:07:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Heh, I polished my wedding ring (with a Dremel) last week
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:09:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Those damned rubber/aluminum oxide polishing bits...
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:18:59 PM EDT
[#4]
When I got divorced I chopped up my wedding ring with my dremel.  Damn, they are good for everything!
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:20:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:30:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I dremel what I can.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:31:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I loaned my Dremel to my Mom last year, and she still has it.  I don't think she is gonna give it back.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:34:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I was grinding off a nail head a few weeks ago and the damn super thin grinder attachment broke and piece embedded itself in my cheek.

Ban all dremels, NOW!

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:37:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I satisfy my wife with my dremel.

Its usefulness has no bounds.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:39:35 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I was grinding off a nail head a few weeks ago and the damn super thin grinder attachment broke and piece embedded itself in my cheek.

Ban all dremels, NOW!

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:42:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Knew some dudes back home that used to use Dremels to break into tool sheds to steal shit. Cuts right through the lock.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 11:25:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Do it yourself dentistry. Takes bunyons off. Cut sections of railroad tracks.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 11:26:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Fix front landing gear on Scare bus 320.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 11:28:50 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Knew some dudes back home that used to use Dremels to break into tool sheds to steal shit. Cuts right through the lock.

How long of an extension cord would you need???
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 11:32:20 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

They make rechargable battery powered versions
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 11:42:57 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Fix front landing gear on Scare bus 320.

How did you know?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 12:11:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Tell me about using the polishing bits. What I need.

Experimenting and need to polish the bottom of a coke can to mirror like finish.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:00:52 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Experimenting and need to polish the bottom of a coke can to mirror like finish.

You need a polishing compound.

Most tool places sell bars of compound (they look like bars of soap). There are different grits, from coarse down to a fine, red stuff called "Jeweler's Rouge", which is the stuff you'd want for a coke-can or polishing feed ramps.

Go slow, on the lowest speed, and don't push hard. Just graze the surface, keep putting the polishing bits back on the "bar" of compound to refill it, and don't overheat your surface.

Not rocket science, just take your time.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:02:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Of course.  The Dremel is awesome!
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:05:42 AM EDT
[#20]
I ask for one every Christmas. I still don't have one
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:13:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Thanks swingset, that gets me going in the right direction at least.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:25:34 AM EDT
[#22]
I have been thinking of removing my gall bladder with mine.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:19:35 AM EDT
[#23]
I am an expert in cutting wheel destruction.

I used my dremel to cut a hole in drywall to install an old work box a few days ago.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:37:33 AM EDT
[#24]
I was grinding off a nail head a few weeks ago and the damn super thin grinder attachment broke and piece embedded itself in my cheek

There are the very thin abrasive wheels which break very easily.  These are good for cutting new slots in damaged screws.

And there are the fiber reinforced cuttoff wheels.  These are somewhat thicker, but much less likely to shatter.

With either of these be very careful to not apply any side forces, and don't force the cut.

Always always always wear safety glasses when using your Dremel tool.  (or any power tools for that matter).

And finally,

Always always always wear safety glasses when using your Dremel tool.  (or any power tools for that matter).
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:44:20 AM EDT
[#25]
I use my dremel to remove my serial # from my guns!!!
Just kidding guys. No I do not advocate doing that and never would do it.

Seriously though a local gunsmith used a dremel to put M4 feed ramps on my upper receiver after I got my LMT M4 barrel. They were in fact needed because rounds kept catching on the shelf the upper receiver now created under the feed ramps. Because of this, I recommend you do not mix and match M4 feed ramped barrels and non M4 feed ramped upper receivers and vice versa. He used a craytek or crytek grinding thing if I remember correctly.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:47:19 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You need a polishing compound.

Most tool places sell bars of compound (they look like bars of soap). There are different grits, from coarse down to a fine, red stuff called "Jeweler's Rouge", which is the stuff you'd want for a coke-can or polishing feed ramps.

Go slow, on the lowest speed, and don't push hard. Just graze the surface, keep putting the polishing bits back on the "bar" of compound to refill it, and don't overheat your surface.

Not rocket science, just take your time.

You could pick the red stuff up at sears or just pick up some Mothers at the walmart

I use it to polish tight spots on my bike
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:49:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Dremel + Flitz + polishing wheel = super beautiful stainless firearms that are much more resistant to corrosion due to smaller dimples for salt to hide in. Try it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:51:57 AM EDT
[#28]
I must be the only person who never really liked Dremel.  They CAN cut through things, sure, but those little cutoff wheels break and go flying.  They CAN polish but they can also burn a hole right through what you are polishing.  They are too hard to hold steady for me.  Maybe I just expect too much.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:58:07 AM EDT
[#29]
I love my Dremel. It's the Handymans secret weapon. Second to Duct Tape of course.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:29:06 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Inverter plus a 12V gel cell works FINE for me.  Well, for field service applications.  Have not tried lock busting because I am not a criminal.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:34:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Ya happens to me ALL THE FREAKING TIME.  Last week I used it to cut some pipe as I as installing a new dishwasher.  Then I used it to trim one of the dogs nails.  Then I wandered around the house looking for other things to do for about a half hour b4 the fiance said "uh honey?  are ya gonna finish installing the dishwasher?"  I get distracted .  
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:40:03 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Inverter plus a 12V gel cell works FINE for me.  Well, for field service applications.  Have not tried lock busting because I am not a criminal.

does this work longer then the cordless model? I have a cordless model that takes 2-4 hours to charge a battery that lasts me about 10 minutes under cutting metal and plastic on my car.  Most useless one I ever purchased.  I would have been happier with a corded model.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:02:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Dremels suck ass.. I have 3 here I never use any more..

This gets the most use and puts the Dremel to shame..

Foredom tool..
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:09:02 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Ya happens to me ALL THE FREAKING TIME.  Last week I used it to cut some pipe as I as installing a new dishwasher.  Then I used it to trim one of the dogs nails.  Then I wandered around the house looking for other things to do for about a half hour b4 the fiance said "uh honey?  are ya gonna finish installing the dishwasher?"  I get distracted .  

The best thing to cut PVC pipe with is that nylon string contractors use to mark grades. Burns right through it, and you don't have to dig out room for a saw....
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:13:10 AM EDT
[#35]
I do that with any tool I grab. I begin to wander around the house looking for things to square away.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:17:23 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

does this work longer then the cordless model? I have a cordless model that takes 2-4 hours to charge a battery that lasts me about 10 minutes under cutting metal and plastic on my car.  Most useless one I ever purchased.  I would have been happier with a corded model.

I have never run the battery down.  It is only an 8 A*H gel cell, fits nicely in a small tool bag along with the inverter.  It takes about 3 hours to recharge.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:33:34 AM EDT
[#37]
I'm not one of those "Dremel-do-it-all" types, but it does come in awfully handy when other tools just won't cut it.

I use mine with the flex shaft attachment for gunsmithing, and I guess I got a good one because it's worked for about seven years now.  I definitely got my money's worth out of it, but having admitted that, I will replace it with a Foredom when it finally craps out.   I don't feel like rolling the dice to get another good Dremel.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:35:48 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

www.blackstoneind.com/foundations/store/products/K_2272_200px.jpg

Foredom tool..

doesn't look very handy to pull out and use? how much does it cost and what's special about it?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:29:34 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I satisfy my wife with my dremel.

Its usefulness has no bounds.

Likes them small and fast??
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:32:01 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I must be the only person who never really liked Dremel.  They CAN cut through things, sure, but those little cutoff wheels break and go flying.  They CAN polish but they can also burn a hole right through what you are polishing.  They are too hard to hold steady for me.  Maybe I just expect too much.

Now if this isn't an invitation to an Aggie joke I've never seen one.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:35:14 PM EDT
[#41]
grab yer 1911 and go apeshit !
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:39:19 PM EDT
[#42]
I used my dremel to sharpen my teeth and split my tongue.

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:41:35 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.blackstoneind.com/foundations/store/products/K_2272_200px.jpg

Foredom tool..

doesn't look very handy to pull out and use? how much does it cost and what's special about it?

Not overly portable, restricted to where you can hang the power unit. But much more powerful, the tool is easier to hold, you use a foot speed control switch, it has a real  Jacobs chuck.  Almost an apples and oranges comparison.  I too have a Foredom and it really is much nicer for bench use than a Dremel.  They aren't cheap.  Kind of like a Gold Cup and a Raven 25.  80% of the time the Raven can do the job in an acceptable manner.  It;s that other 20% done right.

For example, no way I could chase the dog to do her nails, or sit and hld her and then use the foot switch.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:55:52 PM EDT
[#44]
I have a dremel and beer

Will gunsmith for more Beer
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:58:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Those cheap thin cutting wheels don't beak so easily if you double them up.  Seems to work pretty good, and a lot safer.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:58:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Yes they are addicting with things to dremel,
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:00:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Can't believe this thread has gone so long without saying:

BUILD AN AK!
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:04:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Dremel tools are dangerous.  

"You'll put your Eye out."    

Outlaw Dremals.  

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:05:51 PM EDT
[#49]
I used to be big into computer case modding.  I used my Dremel alot!
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:11:51 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

You need to use the fiber reinforced cutoff wheels.  I've probably used hundreds without a single one ever breaking.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top