Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2003 10:37:42 AM EDT
OK, return with me now to the days of yesteryear.

We have a mountain of old data (mostly drawings) that was backed up to 3.5" floppies around 1992-1993. It was backed up using MS-DOS 5.0 (well, maybe 6.22) "Backup" command, so what we have are several diskettes containing the files "BACKUP.001" and "CONTROL.001." So how can I get this stuff off of these diskettes, without building a machine with DOS 5.0 or 6.22? I've tried the W2K "Backup Wizard" to no avail.

TIA.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 10:48:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 10:50:49 AM EDT
[#2]
I used Windows 98 backup utility and backed up some files.

I needed them again a few months later and tried to restore them with Windows 98 backup utility.  It didn't work and I was screwed!

Oh well, from my perspective, you might try consulting microsoft.  If you are lucky, you will get a hold of some old guy who may even remember what DOS is.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 10:54:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the consideration. Torf, your response does not make me feel any better about the rest of the stuff I have archived on CDs, either. This is why I'm much more in favor of permanent "live" storage. What I'd really like to see is mass solid-state storage.

I'm Googling the hell out of this issue, but so far no love. Will advise if I come across anything myself.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 11:00:26 AM EDT
[#4]

Just for shits and giggles did you try to open a dos window and restore it to a directory or another media/drive?
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 11:04:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Waldo:

There is no "restore" command available in the Command Prompt window of W2K. Also note that there is no longer a "DOS" subdirectory. I'm pretty sure that DOS died with the advent of W98.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 11:05:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Just for shits and giggles did you try to open a dos window and restore it to a directory or another media/drive?
View Quote

i think you are refering to a *command prompt*, waldo.  it's an emulation of the dos environment, and microsofties don't like it when you mention the os that they stole for pennies and sold for millions - so now it's a command prompt!

edited to add - i think there is a unix util that allowed you to restore backedup dos files - i'll search for the windows bin for it.  also, i'm going water-skiing w/ some MS folks that work on the windows team tonight - i'll ask them if they know an answer.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 11:16:22 AM EDT
[#7]
10 year old floppies? Try copying all of those files to sub-dirs on your hard drive for safe-keeping. You may not even have what you think you have any more.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 11:19:10 AM EDT
[#8]
just found this:

[url]http://www.simtel.net/pub/pd/50434.html[/url]

try it out, what can it hurt.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 11:22:17 AM EDT
[#9]
JetLag: That's my other concern about this stuff - that just because the filenames show up doesn't mean there's any integrity left to the data itself. Although, come to think of it, I've yet to run across any of our old non-backed-up data that was trashed. There was only a short time period that we ever used "backup" to move stuff to floppies. There's nothing particularly crucial on any of these diskettes, but it would be nice if we could get the stuff back just for convenience.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 11:26:39 AM EDT
[#10]
I have DOS 6.2(3 disks) and 6.22 upgrade disks(3 disks) that I can email you. IM or email me with an email address if you decide to take this route. Good luck.

Oh, any chance you Googled for help?

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 11:34:27 AM EDT
[#11]
_twist: That file looks like what I might need, but the autodownload does not seem to be working. I tried several of the listed sites. Some have direct ftp links, but the ones I tried all came back "Action canceled" in IE6.0. IF you can download it, could you email it to me at [email protected]? Thanks.

Byte: Thanks for the offer, but I think a buddy of mine has the disks too. I'll keep you in mind if his don't pan out, though.

I'm still Googling, but I'm also trying to get some actual work done today. Thanks for all advice.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 11:44:36 AM EDT
[#12]

Well, I've got all the old DOS stuff sitting here.(I've even got an old VIC 20}[BD] Let me know what you need.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 11:58:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Just as a side note, in 1987 I had a secretary at the stinkin' phone company that pronounced DOS like the Spanish word for "two", instead of rhyming with "toss." She was very cute, but very dumb. Unfortunately for me, not [i]that[/i] dumb, knowwhaddimean?
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 12:02:27 PM EDT
[#14]
"Oh well, from my perspective, you might try consulting microsoft. If you are lucky, you will get a hold of some old guy who may even remember what DOS is."

OMG that is too funny.  You have clearly never contacted MS.  BTDT.  When NT4.0 Server was still current, we contacted MS because there is a nice utility for building boot disks to boot machines and access the network.  Problem is, it requires DOS files.  They wouldn't help.  So we were forced to pirate their obsolete OS.  Of course, I also created a Linux sol'n just to piss off my boss.  Then again, maybe we were too small.  Let's see:  10 class "C"s -- that's only 2500 desktops.  Yup we must have been too small a customer.

"sir, that is no longer a supported operating system."  If it's no longer supported and obsolete, why don't they put it on their FTP servers?  They want your cashola for the latest and greatest.

If anyone sends you copies, make sure they use the diskcopy command so you will actually be able to install.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 12:04:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 12:09:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Check this out:
[url]http://download.microsoft.com/download/win95upg/tool_s/1.0/W95/EN-US/olddos.exe[/url]
It's a bunch of old DOS crap Microsoft threw on their win9x CDs, including "RESTORE.EXE." It's even got QBASIC, woo hoo.

For the record, MSBACKUP is totally different than BACKUP and RESTORE.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 12:15:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Remember it has to be the correct version.
6.0, 6.2, 6.21, 6.22 if it is off at all I don't think it will work.

We had a problem like this some time back. Our IT guy built a multi boot machine with a bunch of different DOS OS on it and sat there with the back up's going through the OS's until he hit the right one.

I asked him if he still had it. He said we might but it would be in the offsite storage.

Next time he goes he will look around.

Link Posted: 6/5/2003 12:22:24 PM EDT
[#18]
After some judicious [s]Goggling[/s] Googling, I came across this site:
[url]http://www.powerload.fsnet.co.uk/msdos.htm[/url]

There, I found several DOS programs, including MSD50BK.exe, which is the Backup and Restore programs for MS-DOS 5.0. Downloaded, extracted, and worked like a charm. I knew to use the proper version and syntax from reading other items found on Google. The BACKUP.001 and CONTROL.001 files were for 5.0, and 6.0 on used a different filename system. I found the proper syntax to be:

restore a: c:\*.* /s

That syntax will recreate the original directory, if it doesn't already exist. Worked great. The drawings were complete and intact. Please note that this was tried with a single-disk backup. I have other jobs that span multiple disks that I will try next week.

Thanks to all who responded.

Edited to correct spelling of present tense of the predicate "Google."
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 12:24:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Also, these utils should work for versions 3.x, 4.x, & 5.0:
[url]ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/softlib/mslfiles/pd0315.exe[/url]
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 12:30:34 PM EDT
[#20]
[beer], thanks for the link.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 4:46:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for all the links. This is some good stuff for Sys Admins!

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top